• Published 22nd Feb 2014
  • 2,228 Views, 55 Comments

The Wrong Hoof - ChainGunDragon



Twilight thought the changelings were done and dusted until she receives a surprise visit from someone who needs her help, and a story of conspiracy and deception leads Twilight to ask herself. Who can she really trust?

  • ...
7
 55
 2,228

House call

It was getting late. As dangerous as it seemed, being led into the Everfree forest by a changeling on a cold winter night, Fluttershy seemed remarkably calm.

“You really trust him don’t you?” Twilight whispered, hoping their escort wouldn’t hear.

“Of course,” she whispered back. “He took a great risk in trusting me and he’s been nothing but kind, to me and all of my animal friends.”

“He didn’t have much of a choice if you found him unconscious. We’re just lucky you found him and not somepony else who might have told princess Celestia.”

“That’s not what I meant by taking a risk.” The alicorn just raised an eyebrow towards her pegasi friend. “Celestia isn’t the only one we had to hide from.”

“Then who do you-“

“We’re here,” Dolus interrupted as he walked to a small entrance to a cave surrounded by bushes and trees, just like any other part of the forest. It was hidden in plain sight. The changeling stepped through the entrance and begun walking deeper into a dark and quiet tunnel as Fluttershy followed him closely. Twilight stayed a little bit behind, still hesitant after the last time Dolus had tricked her.

“Stop right there.” The voice didn’t sound like their escort but it was unmistakably the sound of a changeling. The alicorn cast a quick spell, letting her horn glow bright enough to see the changeling guard that stood before them.

“It’s me.” Dolus walked up to the guard and looked straight at him. “You can let us in.”

“You? Perhaps. But not them,” said the guard looking straight at Fluttershy. The timid mare whimpered quietly and took a couple of steps back, afraid of what might happen if she confronted the armored changeling. Twilight quickly stepped around the pegasus and looked straight into where the guards eyes would’ve been if they weren’t concealed in darkness.

“Then you’ll have to explain to Prince Vano why you turned away Princess Twilight Sparkle.” The guard paused for a moment before lowering himself to bow before the alicorn.

“My apologies. I did not recognize you, princess.”

“And Fluttershy is with me.”

“I’m sorry but even if you are a princess, I can’t allow you to bring a guest.”

“Then you’ll have to make an exception unless you want me to turn around and leave right now.” There was a minute of silence before the guard reluctantly turned to move a rock aside, revealing a lever which he then pulled, opening a secret passageway in the wall to their right. As Twilight entered through the newly opened tunnel, followed by Fluttershy, the guard looked straight at Dolus.

“You’re going to have a lot of explaining to do after this little house call is over,” he said before the escort nodded and quickly walked up in front of the alicorn, once again leading the way for them. The purple mare continued following by Fluttershy’s side.

“You didn’t have to come along,” she whispered to her friend.

“I wanted to make sure he was alright. He still doesn’t feel safe around you.” Dolus turned a corner and stopped at the doors to the throne room.

“That was quick,” said Twilight, still thinking about the last time she was here.

“The throne room is kept close to the exit, in case of an emergency where we might need to be evacuated. You were probably brought up from the prison, on the other side of the complex. Prisoners are generally the least important so we keep them the furthest away.” He paused for a moment, realizing what he just said as Twilight stared at him. “But not in your case. I meant no offence, princess.”

“It’s fine, I understand.” Twilight used her magic to open the doors to the throne room, quickly noticing that there wasn’t a changeling in sight.

“He must be in the meeting room. I’m sorry. He spends half his time in there. It’s not too far from here,” said Dolus, turning around to lead the two mares down another corridor.

“Who is he meeting with?”

“I’m afraid I don’t know. It could be nearly anyone.” He stopped next to a door and turned around. “It’s just in here. He normally doesn’t take kindly to interruptions but I think he’d make an exception for you. Are you ready?”

“No,” Fluttershy said quietly, backing away from the door slowly.

“I wasn’t ready for any of this,” said Twilight, looking straight at the door. “But since when did that matter?” She didn’t bother knocking but instead just let herself in. The alicorn found a large table with the changeling prince seated at the furthest end from the door and three other changelings facing towards him, too wrapped up in the meeting to notice the visitor at the door.

“Twilight?” said Vano as the other changelings almost immediately turned their heads. “How did you find us?” The prince paused for a moment, noticing the changeling once again trying to discretely hide behind Fluttershy. “Never mind.”

“I have something that you need to see,” said the princess, not keen on wasting any time.

“General, you’ll have to excuse us for a moment,” Vano said to the changeling in the middle on the opposite end of the table. The prince stood up from his chair as Twilight walked over to him, using her wing to pass a scroll to him. He unfurled the scroll, and skimmed over it as Twilight could see his expression turn grim.

Dear Twilight.
Would you mind telling me what exactly is going on? I eavesdropped on Princess Luna just like you had asked and at first nothing seemed strange until she met with Celestia. I didn’t understand the context of the discussion but Celestia seemed upset with her sister. She told her to keep someone named Karkinos under control. From the way they talked about him I figure Karkinos might be a pet? But I didn’t realize Luna had an animal companion. Celestia went on about letting somepony’s dream get out of hoof. I think they must have been talking about you because Luna said that “there is no way Twilight was dreaming, I would have seen it.” I don’t know what’s going on but they seem pretty upset with you. Twilight, I’m worried about you. Please just tell me what’s happening so I can at least try to help you.
Sincerely, Shining Armor~

In a few short seconds, the scroll lit up in a bright green flame.

“You mean to tell me that not only do they already know of our troubles…” Vano paused, watching the last scrap of paper turn to ash before he stomped his hoof on the ground. “But they were responsible?” Although it was clear the changeling was in anger, he somehow kept his calm, talking clearly in a level tone.

“I’m afraid it seems that way.” As Fluttershy took a couple of steps back with Dolus backing off even further, Twilight stood by the prince’s side, ready to bear the brunt of his frustration.

“A whole year, we have suffered. A whole year, we have been exiled. A whole year, we have been forgotten as your kind enjoys the safety of their homes. We trusted them, Chrysalis trusted them, and now she was forced to pay the price for that trust.”

“I’m sorry for your troubles, but I can help you now. We can help you now. You already have two of the six elements of harmony on your side,” she said, looking back at Fluttershy who forced a weak smile. “And we even have the captain of the royal guard on our side. Shining Armor has never let me down and I know he won’t choose today to start.”

“I need you to rally the other elements, and your brother.”

“Of course. What do you need us to do?”

“Keep them out of Canterlot.”

“Excuse me?”

“I can give you until the day after tomorrow. Keep them out of our way.” Twilight started to get the idea of what he was suggesting.

“We can’t risk making things worse. I think we need to calm down and think about this for-”

“No!” The prince shouted, finally letting his frustration be heard as the changeling general stood from his seat.

“Your orders sir?” he asked as Twilight stepped back, shaking her head. She wanted to speak out against him. She wanted to stop him from answering. But it was clear to everyone in the room that he had already made up his mind. The changeling prince turned toward the general and spoke

“It’s time to fight back.”