• Published 22nd Feb 2014
  • 2,228 Views, 55 Comments

The Wrong Hoof - ChainGunDragon



Twilight thought the changelings were done and dusted until she receives a surprise visit from someone who needs her help, and a story of conspiracy and deception leads Twilight to ask herself. Who can she really trust?

  • ...
7
 55
 2,228

The hive

Cold. The word repeating itself over and over again through Twilight’s mind never felt more deserved. She opened her eyes and found herself sealed inside a cocoon full of a thick liquid, sapping the heat from her body. Only her face was left exposed so she could breathe and speak, but her magic was useless inside this prison. She looked around but found nothing except for this damp, dark room. How did she get here? Why did she ever trust that changeling? And how in Equestria was she supposed to get out? She couldn't stop thinking about the mistakes she had made until the door suddenly swung open, letting a small amount of light into the room. There were two changelings, both wearing a dark suit of armor which glowed red at the seams. Changeling guards perhaps? Why did none of the other changelings wear this gear during the assault on Canterlot? They stepped towards her as she tried frantically to escape. Twilight tried using her strongest magic, it was no use. She tried struggling to break the cocoon, it was hopeless. With every movement, the cage sapped at her energy leaving her helpless and exhausted. She was suddenly lifted into the air by the two changelings, who began carrying her cocoon outside the room.

“Where are you taking me?” The alicorn asked with a sense of worry, to which the changelings said nothing and continued their task. She gulped and looked around, studying the walls and structures around her. Maybe if she could find out where this is, she could tell Celestia where these kidnappers were gathering once she found a way out of here. What she saw confused her, barely any of her surroundings seemed structured, and it was mostly made of dirt and occasionally some stone. Were they living underground? Were they hiding from something? Then the idea came to Twilight. What if they’re mounting another attack? What if they’re hiding in the shadows, lying in wait for the perfect moment to strike? She had to do something, but how?

After walking for what felt like ten minutes, the two changelings used their magic to open a set of wooden doors at the end of the passage. The doors led into a large chamber with walls of dirt, coated with a mysterious black stone, baring several holes in resemblance to the form of the changelings themselves. At the end of the chamber was a particularly large changeling, sitting on a dark throne, wearing armor made of what looked like an alloy. A mixture of the Blackstone and Gold, crafted into protective gear, perhaps to show status? Maybe this one was some sort of a-

“Prince Vano,” one of the changelings barked. “You’re highness, we brought her as you requested.”

“You can dispense with the formalities,” He replied calmly. “We’re all friends here.” This upset Twilight.

“Friends?” She shouted. “You kidnapped my friend Rarity, Lured me into a trap, and locked me in this shell!” The prince looked at the trapped alicorn with a sense of remorse.

“I’m sorry, I’m afraid we don’t have your friend.” He paused and looked away in a sense of shame. “Your escort must have felt the need to lie in order to convince you. I take it you didn't come easily.”

“Not exactly.”

“Then I take it he also forgot to mention that we couldn't bring you in while you were awake?” The prince paused for an answer, to which Twilight simply shook her head. “I wish things could've been different but it seems pretty clear you despise us. We couldn’t risk you alerting Celestia to our whereabouts.”

”So why am I here? If you didn’t want to be found, why did you kidnap me?”

“Because we needed someone to understand. Someone on our side to help us find somewhere to live in peace.”

“Peace? You attacked Canterlot”

“We wanted to resolve things peacefully. I promise. Chrysalis had a council with Celestia and Luna long in advance. That is when they turned their backs on us.” He paused for a moment and shook his head. “I’m sorry, I can’t talk to you like this, if we let you out of that shell, could you promise me not to do anything stupid? You’d only make things worse for yourself if you did.” Twilight’s eyes widened at the idea of freedom. She couldn't risk upsetting the prince until at least after her shackles were broken so she kept her calm, took a deep breath and answered.

“I promise.” Vano nodded at the two changelings at Twilight’s side as they split the cocoon. They each pulled on a half of the cage in opposite directions as the slime that had once filled the now hollow shell, seeped into the ground, soon disappearing from sight. Twilight was still far too weak to mount an escape. Her only hope was to wait for the perfect moment, if she tried too early or too late, she might never get out.

“Now as I was saying, we were forced out of our home and we had nowhere to go. We turned to Celestia and Luna for help but they refused us. We begged and pleaded, but they were intent on letting us meet our end. A whole race of changelings gone extinct because they were too concerned for their own kind.”

“So you attacked Canterlot?”

“It was our only option. We had nowhere else to turn and Chrysalis couldn't stand watching her people fade. She told me in confidence to gather our refugees. She created a distraction in Canterlot, buying us time to hide where we hope they may not find us.”

“That was just a distraction?” The alicorn shouted. None of the changeling’s explanation made sense. Why were they forced out of their home? Why did they come to Celestia and Luna for help? For every question answered, two more arose.

“If she truly wanted to rule, she would have sent all of us in a full scale invasion. She never expected to be able to take over, she never expected to survive. All Chrysalis wanted was to protect her people, and so with remorse, she drew together a fleet of others who would serve her with their lives. A small force to engage your royalty in battle, just to keep them occupied for a few short minutes.” As much as Twilight hated to admit it, it didn't make any sense why they would still have highly equipped changelings who were never seen anywhere near Canterlot. Could it have just been a distraction after all?

“Why were you forced out of your home?” The alicorn decided to humor the changeling prince, to which he simply raised an eyebrow. “Let’s say I believed your story. Why did this all happen?”

“A legendary beast which we never thought could have existed rose from the depths of Atlantis. A beast that we know only as Karkinos.”

“Karkinos?” The name sounded familiar to her. Where had she heard of it before?

“You’re aware of the constellation for cancer, aren't you?” Suddenly Twilight remembered an astronomy book she once read.

“Cancer is one of the constellations of the zodiac. In mythology it is identified with a creature named Karkinos.” It was all coming back to her now. “Karkinos is a crab?” Vano nodded.

“We don’t know what its shell is made from but our magic is useless against it. None of us knew how to stop it, so we fled.”

“But in the mythology Karkinos was a regular sized crab. Couldn't you have just trapped it in a cage or something?”

“Only in the mythology, I’m afraid. In reality, the beast is unstoppable.”

“Surely if you told them about Karkinos, they couldn't have waved it off.”

“How could we tell them? Do you think they would believe a creature known only to a small few, derived from obscure mythology was bringing us to our end?” Twilight thought about that for a moment. It did seem pretty far-fetched.

“So how long has this been going on?” The alicorn asked, starting to feel dizzy. “The attack on Canterlot was over a year ago. Have you been hiding here this whole time?”

“We thought we would have to hide here forever, until we heard you became a princess. We knew Celestia, Luna, and Cadence wouldn't help us but if we could show you the truth, we might not have to live in exile. I know you have a pure heart, and I trust that you will make the right decision in the end.” Twilight stumbles slightly, trying not to pass out from exhaustion. “I think you need your rest. If you have more questions, we could accommodate you and we can continue this in the morning. But if you would rather be sent home, we can arrange that.”

“Home,” said the exhausted mare, barely able to focus. “Just send me home.” The changeling prince nodded.

“For what it’s worth, I’m sorry that the attack had to be during your brother’s wedding.” His horn started to glow a bright green as the world seemed to fade away.