• Published 21st Feb 2014
  • 911 Views, 18 Comments

Letters to Ponyville - StapleCactus



A war has come to Equestria, one that instituted a draft long thought abolished. Now, what few citizens of Ponyville remain can only wait for news in the form of letters, letters from their loved ones. Because no news is worse than you might think.

  • ...
0
 18
 911

Lyra

Hey, Bon Bon. Just sending you a little note to show that I’m still breathing.

They let me sit in the turret’s seat of the jeep today. Sadly, I didn’t get to actually shoot anything with it. It’s just as well, though. We were going too fast for me to fire straight. Still, it was fun pretending.

We’re moving camp to one of the caves near the enemy base tomorrow, the one we scouted today. It’s cold and dark and damp, but hopefully, we won’t be there too long. Once we take over the enemy base, we’ll be that much closer to taking back our homelands.

It’s going to be really dangerous, and I’m kinda scared. A part of me wishes that Celestia never repealed those ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ laws. But then I’d just be at home, feeling like a waste of space. Hopefully, this will help Tootsie Flute and the other foals to grow up in a happier world, even if I’m not there to see it.

Oh, and before I go, tell that little brat Button Mash that I do not appreciate his letter thanking me for ‘dying for my country.’

—Lyra

Author's Note:

End of Side B of the LyraBon Tale. Please flip the cassette for Side A (if you didn't already read it).

This is difficult to explain without outright saying it, so here it is. Lyra and Bon Bon both joined the army on the same day without the other knowing. They had a bit of a falling out, and now they are both writing home in hopes their relationship can be mended. Sadly, neither will ever get a response, since no one is home.

Lyra is an odd one. She's read too many of those fantasy novels, and uses odd terminology. The "turret" and "jeep" she mentions would actually be called a carroballista (a sort of mobile ballista). Why she thought the cart that shoots bolts pulled by ponies could in any way be considered one of those self-propelled carts, I'll never know.

And finally, both this letter and Bon Bon's were written near the same time. While Lyra was rushed into the battle, Bon Bon was sent to one of the slower training camps.

Azusa

Yes, the same tale written by two people. It's a collab within a collab! AAAHHH! Anyway, check Azusa out, since he's got stuff for the checkings.