• Published 21st Feb 2014
  • 910 Views, 18 Comments

Letters to Ponyville - StapleCactus



A war has come to Equestria, one that instituted a draft long thought abolished. Now, what few citizens of Ponyville remain can only wait for news in the form of letters, letters from their loved ones. Because no news is worse than you might think.

  • ...
0
 18
 910

Prologue

A sharp thud echoed through the empty fields of Sweet Apple Acres. Seconds later, a tree relinquished its product into the waiting baskets below. Applejack wiped the sweat from her brow as she turned to look at the dozens of apples neatly stacked in their temporary homes. With a heavy sigh, she pulled the first bushel onto her back, carrying it to the cart nearby, one she knew would be delivered to the capital.

The sun beat down on her blonde mane, reminding her of her missing hat. She didn’t mind, not when it had a more important head to cover. She had given it away, with the promise it would be returned one day. No, she didn’t mind. Not right now.

“Big Mac,” she whispered when the last basket settled. A volunteer from town pulled the wagon away, and her eyes trailed to the sky, hoping for a sign of the mailmare. “Be safe.”

—————ᐅᒪᓯᓇᐦᐃᑲᓂᐤ—————

Sugarcube Corner was eerily quiet. It had been for some days, and even Pinkie couldn’t shake the depressing atmosphere that settled over the town. The smallest bit of strain could be seen on her features as her curly hair fought gravity.

Her hooves kneaded even more dough. A timer on the counter reached zero and filled the silence with its keening. Another batch of bread was pulled from the oven, its destiny the same as the apples.

A creak from the swinging doors to the rest of the bakery shook her from her melancholy. Mrs. Cake stood there with a smile that didn’t reach her eyes as she motioned towards the bread. With a nod from Pinkie, she silently bagged the loaves. Then, the two mares carried them to the awaiting cart outside.

As they waved at the receding pony dragging it away, they looked up. “Mr. Cake will be okay, won’t he?” Pinkie asked.

“I pray he is every day.”

—————ᐅᒪᓯᓇᐦᐃᑲᓂᐤ—————

Rarity studied the garment in front of her. Every stitch had to be perfect. Every patch of cloth had to be strong. Every point of flex had to be loose, but tight as well. The color couldn’t be flashy; couldn’t stand out; couldn’t let others know it was there, even under close scrutiny.

A nod of approval. It passed her test. She folded it as if her life was on the line and set it with the others.

Sweetie Belle, with as much care as her sister, transferred the pile to an awaiting box. When it was full, she taped it shut and gave it to a pony waiting by the door. He gave her a solemn nod and placed the last box on the cart. Then, he hitched himself up and left.

“Rarity?” Sweetie Belle called behind her. She was soon joined by her sister at the door. “W-When will he come home?”

“When his duty is finished, Sweetie.”

The two looked up.

—————ᐅᒪᓯᓇᐦᐃᑲᓂᐤ—————

Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy flew above the streets of Ponyville once again. When one of them spotted a tired pony below, the yellow mare would dip down and ask how they were faring with preparations. Her gentle nature always seemed to alleviate some of the doubt or fear the pony was having.

While she did this, Rainbow would stay aloft, her eyes constantly scanning the horizon. For what, she didn’t know. Some part of her feared what she might find, but another reminded her of her self-appointed mission. It was during one of these haunting thoughts that Fluttershy returned to her side.

“Rainbow?” she called, eyeing her friend with worry. The blue mare’s eyes were strained, as if she was afraid to blink and miss the very thing she was searching for.

“Yeah?” Pulling her gaze from the horizon, she watched as Fluttershy rubbed a foreleg with her hoof. When she finally met the Rainbow’s eyes, sorrow could be seen etched upon her features.

“Do you think… maybe… it won’t happen?”

Rainbow Dash studied the sky for what seemed like hours. Her shoulders slowly slumped until a defeated sigh escaped her. “I really hope so, Fluttershy.”

The two pegasi looked towards Canterlot, both holding onto a hope they refused to lose.

—————ᐅᒪᓯᓇᐦᐃᑲᓂᐤ—————

A breath laden with equal parts frustration and desolation escaped Princess Twilight Sparkle’s lips as yet another fruitless chapter was read. Mountains of books, both from her library and the one in Canterlot, were stacked haphazardly against the walls. The ones near the entrance had already been read, waiting to be shelved or returned, but they were dwarfed by those she had yet to read.

She levitated her checklist over, marking yet another book for return with nothing to show for it. Her gaze swept through the room, passing over the golden–armored guard by the stairs as she mentally calculated what she still had left. It only brought a pang of guilt to her heart.

“Your Highness,” the soldier began, eyeing the lightening sky through the window. “Maybe you should rest.”

Twilight shot a glare towards him, only for it to soften into a neutral expression. “One more,” she replied, pulling another book from the pile. “There has to be something I can do.” The guard merely nodded and let her continue. He was there for her protection, not as her nanny.

Before she could open the binding, a thought sparked her memory. “When will the fighting start?” she asked without taking her eyes off the title.

“The first set of recruits will be ready for battle tomorrow, Your Highness.”

“And Spike will be a part of them.”

“I’m afraid so.”

Twilight finally looked up, out of the window on the second floor. She wanted to be there in Canterlot, she and the rest of the Elements, but Celestia was right. They couldn’t risk losing them, especially if the fighting escalated as quickly as their calculations predicted. All she could do was research, hoping there might be a spell or diplomatic solution nopony knew in these pages.

—————ᐅᒪᓯᓇᐦᐃᑲᓂᐤ—————

A grey pegasus mare flew for all she was worth, her saddlebags laden with letters. Below her, she could see towns gearing for battle. Citizens were stockpiling supplies and reinforcing their homes. Volunteers and soldiers were moving essentials where they were needed or preparing them for shipment. Even the children were involved, from helping the adults move some lighter items, to just reminding them what they’ll be fighting for with their play. Not a single pony was idle.

Just a few weeks ago, she was the ditzy mailmare of Ponyville. Just a few weeks ago, she was content with taking her daughter to school and getting muffins as tips from Pinkie Pie during her deliveries. Just a few weeks ago, peace. But, now… war.

War had come to Equestria.

Author's Note:

Ready for fun? I sure am, and I want you to participate in it! Letters to Ponyville will be a collaboration with anyone who wants to join, and I'll be working alongside you. Want the full details? Check out my blog post. Or, you could just read this snippet:

I'd like you to think of a letter. It can be written by any pony to any pony in Ponyville. The only exception is Spike, and obviously the mane 6 can't send letters if they're in Ponyville. But you can write to them! I will be writing letters as well, but this will be your chance to get your own abilities to paper. I will be editing and--only very rarely--adjusting the letters sent to me. After I have assured their completion with you, I will add it to the story with your credits in the author notes.