• Published 25th Mar 2012
  • 1,269 Views, 22 Comments

My Kingdom for a Muffin - TheTypingFluttershy



After Sugercube Corner ran out of muffins, Derpy goes on a epic quest to find some.

  • ...
1
 22
 1,269

Chapter 1: Of Muffins and Mares

It was beautiful. there was nothing but muffins as far as her eyes could see. Derpy Hooves smiled widely, her yellow eyes sparkling in delight. As she pranced happily across the fluffy muffin fields, muffins began to frolic with her, and it was so much fun, she could stay forever

All of a sudden, a loud noise rang out, and Derpy's eyes flung open, spinning wildly, her blond mane tangled up in front of her eyes. Brushing off the strands with her grey hoof, she looked around and spotted the alarm clock ringing. She glared at the infernal contraption that had woken her up from her muffin dream. She tossed a pillow at it in frustration, but it flew straight over the clock and hit the wall.
"Why does the clock always wake me up during my muffin dreams?" She moaned, slowly getting out of bed, groggily rubbing her hooves against her head. Rubbing her eyes, she walked out of her room, slowly walking down the stairs, before tripping over her own hooves, sending her flying down to the floor.
"Honey, what are you doing on the floor?" Derpy looked up, only to find her eye meeting with her husbands bright blue eyes, one of her eyes drifting down to the floor. The light brown stallion was looking at her incredulously.
"I fell down the stairs... i'm a clumsy pony, aren't I?" Derpy sighed, frowning.
"No, Derpy. You're the most clever pony I have ever met", Doctor Whooves relied.
Derpy simply stared at him incredulously with one eye, with the other still looking at the floor. He continued, sweating slightly, grinning nervously "I really mean it. You're the smartest pony I have ever known".
Derpy looked at him for a second longer, staring him down, but then after several seconds of silence, she just simply replied "OK!". She got up and trotted to the kitchen to have her favorite food, a muffin, before she went to work at the post office. She opened up the pantry, only to reveal nothing there, shelves barren of any trace of the delicious treats. "Hey, do you know where the muffins went?" she turned and yelled to Doctor Whooves upstairs,
"There should be two left in the pantry. I saw them last night". The Doctor's voice rang out from above
Derpy's right eye shifted to see her unicorn daughter, Dinky Hooves walking into the room. "Umm, I, well, umm... I might have... eaten both muffins for... breakfast this morning" The unicorn shifted on her hooves, guiltily staring up at her mother.
"Aw, it's ok, Dinky," Her mother grinned happily, eye twitching.
Dinky smiled, glad she wasn't in trouble, left the room. As soon as Dinky had left the room. Derpy checked that she was alone, got down on her hooves, looked up at the ceiling with one eye and raised both hooves and yelled "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"
A few moments later, her eldest daughter, a purple unicorn named Sparkler, walked into the kitchen, glaring at her mom. "Mother, what are you yelling about? It's early in the morning and you woke me up." She said, as Derpy noticed her ruffled hair, and bloodshot eyes. Derpy grabbed a hold of her daughter, shaking her frantically
"Oh Sparkler, the worst possible thing has happened! I have ran out of muffins, and you know what that means? DO YOU?!" Derpy frantically said. "It MEANS that I won't focus at work because I didn't have breakfast and if I don't focus at work and not deliver all the letters and get FIRED. DO YOU WANT THAT!?" Derpy rapidly said, shaking her hooves wildly, eyes spinning and gasping for breath afterwards.
Sparkler just stood there, simply staring at her mother going crazy over nothing. "Well, you could just have a normal piece of toast, or just one of the cupcakes Pinkie Pie gave us, or-" Sparkler suggested, but was cut off by Derpy.
"IT'S NOT THE SAME!" Derpy cried in despair. But at that moment, she had an idea. "Wait a moment, Pinkie! Sugercube Corner! I could just drop by there quickly and get a muffin, then be in time for work! Thank you Sparkler!" Derpy kissed Sparkler on the cheek as she grabbed her mail bag and rushed out the door.
"Your welcome?" Sparkler said, dazed.

Derpy happily skipped though town, looking at the nice townsfolk, such as Lyra and Bon Bon. They are both very nice ponies. When she saw Sugercube Corner in sight, she squealed in delight. They made the best muffins to every exist in this world, and she couldn't wait to bite her teeth into them again. She walked right in the see the friendly Pinkie at the counter, smiling as Derpy walked in.
"Let me guess, your here for a muffin right?" Pinkie guessed. Derpy gasped.
"Oh my gosh, how did you know? Are you a mind reader or something?" Derpy asked in amazement.
"Oh, I know lot's of things, like I know that Rainbow Dash... is secretly a bookworm! Hold on just a second, let me grab you your usual muffin." Pinkie left the counter for a moment, leaving Derpy some time to look at the stuff on display. There were cakes, fancy cupcakes, brownies, and all sorts of mouth watering treats Derpy didn't recognize. They were so tempting, but no. She was here for one thing, and that thing, was a muffin. A muffin packed with delicious flavor in every crumb.
Pinkie returned to the counter, frowning. "I'm sorry Derpy, I couldn't find any muffins. We never got the shipment of ingredients to make the special muffins, and we ran out quickly. I'm sorry Derpy, maybe next time."
Derpy opened her mouth in shock.
"N-n-no muffins? No, no...." Derpy, once again, looked up, raised both hooves and yelled, "NOOOOOO!!! WHAT AM I GOING TO DO. I'M NOTHING WITHOUT MY MUFFINS, NOTHING", Derpy fell down to the floor, not knowing what to do next. If she didn't have her morning fuel in the morning, then what could she do? She had to have that muffin, there was no questioning that. Pinkie just stared at the sad body on the floor, tilting her head to one side. Just then, Derpy had another fantastic idea, a fail-proof plan that had to work. I had to. "Pinkie..." Derpy started, pulling herself off the ground, brushing the filth from the floor off of her "...What place ships you the things needed to make your heavenly muffins? Please, I need to know!" She desperately asked.
Pinkie looked her, with her head still tilted, "Concordia, but I don't see how you could-" Pinkie was abruptly stopped by Derpy
"Thank you! I have a plan... a plan to go there, and get my muffin! Work will have to wait, because I WILL get my muffin and nopony is going to stop me!" Pinkie opened her mouth to argue,
"But it's across an ocean! And for what, a muffin? You're crazy!". Derpy just looked at her with one eye (With the other looking at the floor), and simply said,
"I may be crazy, but it just might work! Wish my luck, I will need it...". Derpy left Sugercube Corner while Pinkie had an unsure look on her face. Derpy flew off to start her quest. A quest.... for muffin!

******

Meanwhile, Dinky had followed Derpy all the way to Sugercube Corner, all by herself! She saw Pinkie Pie at the counter, eating a delicious cupcake, and licking that delicious frosting.
"Umm, excuse me Pinkie, but do you know where my mommy went?", Dinky nervously asked, kicking her hoof back and forward on the floor. Pinkie paused from eating and looked at the little filly.
"Oh, she had this crazy idea to go all the way to Concordia, all because she didn't get a muffin!" Pinkie giggled. Dinky stared in shock. It was all her fault! Mommy had gone all the way there to get a muffin just because she had eaten them this morning. No. She couldn't stand around and do nothing while mommy went away. She had to help. She trotted home to get help from her sisters, Sparkler and Dizzy. She rushed inside and saw Dizzy flapping her wings, attempting to fly. Dizzy walked back a few steps, and did a running jump while flapping her wings as fast as she could. She leaped, but fell to the ground face first. Dizzy got up and looked at Dinky walking towards her, smiling.
"Dizzy, you have to help me! Mommy has gone on a quest, and it's all my fault! I had eaten the last of the muffins and she is going on an adventure! And we, as a team, must follow her, to help her out!". Dinky exclaimed. Dizzy's mouth opened wide, in both shock and happiness. Dizzy then squealed and started running out the room.
"Hold on, I'll get Sparkler, maybe she could help us!" Dizzy yelled as she was running out the room. Moments later she returned with Sparkler, looking annoyed as usual.
"What have you dragged me out for?! I was taking a... yawn... cat nap..." Sparkler said, rubbing her eyes with her hoof. Dinky started to explain.
"Oh, the worst possible thing has happened! Mommy has gone on an adventure, and it's all my fault! You have to have us follow her, please!" Dinky pleaded. Sparkler just looked at the two little fillys. Perhaps she could humor them for a bit. She was board herself, and she had nothing better to do this weekend.
"All right, let's go follow mommy. Lead the way, Dinky!" Sparkler happily said, trying to look exited. Dinky squealed in delight, as she burst out running out the door, with Dizzy and Sparkler slowly behind. And so they have started their quest. A quest... to follow mommy!


And so begins their epic quest. A quest filled with dangers and hazards (And also muffins). Will they succeed and make it alive? I have no idea