• Published 20th Feb 2014
  • 384 Views, 4 Comments

Mainsail, Captain of Legend - KonceptKarma



The story of how Captain Mainsail went from a lowly deckhand aboard a civilian vessel to a legendary captain of the Equestrian Navy.

  • ...
 4
 384

Chapter 3. Excitement

The next morning, Celestia woke to the sound of singing. She wearily trotted outside to find a large portion of the crew singing chanting some old tune she'd never heard before. Mainsail was leaning against the main mast, when he spotted her.
"Hey Princess, care to join us?" He called out.
"In your buffoonery? I'd rather eat sand." She huffed.
"That can be arranged if you'd like." He teased.
She shot him a look of detest, "Why are you singing anyway?"
"Boredom, mostly." Marco piped in, "It's not every day something exciting happens out at sea your highness."
Celestia roller her eyes, "Well you can keep up your 'singing,' but I'll not be joining you."
"Suit yourself. Give us another one boys!" Mainsail yelled out to the crew.
"Why don't you start one ey, Mainsail?" Someone called back.
"Yeah, you never think of one." Another piped in.
"I dunno boys, I just..." He was interrupted by Celestia.
"Yes Mainsail, why not start one." A smirk hit her face.
"Alright, if you insist." He started to sing the tune of Leave Her Johnny. He started off alone, but when the chorus hit, the rest of the crew joined in the song.

When the crew finished, he looked to see Celestia staring at him, a genuinely surprised look on her face.
"Not what you were expecting, huh?" Mainsail poked at her.
She quickly regained her composure, and huffed at him, "It was alright, but I've heard better."
"Really?" He asked, "I think I'm an awful singer. Thanks for the compliment."
Her face went red with embarrassment, "Fine, it sucked!"
Mainsail laughed a little, "Just teasing Princess." He gave a big smile, and after a moment, decided to ask her again.
"Why don't you lead us in one milady?"
"What?" She sounded surprised, "I don't even know any of your songs."
"Doesn't matter if you know the words or not, just sing what your heart feels, and the words will find their way out." Mainsail responded.

As she was about to start, the alarm bell suddenly interrupted her. The quartermaster ran up to the main deck.
"Hey you lot, look alive, we're sailing into a storm!" He yelled, and pointed towards the bow. Celestia looked up to see a large row of storm clouds, ahead. The crew immediately hopped into action, furling up all but the main sails of the Valiant. Captain Driftwood approached the helm.
"What's the problem helmsman?" He asked.
"We're sailing into a storm Captain." The helmsman answered.
"What?" Driftwood yelled in surprise. "Well what are you waiting for, turn away from it!"
"It's too late for that sir, we're already caught in the swells." The helmsman retorted. on deck, the crew moved to tie down as much loose cargo as they could. The Valiant began to buck and sway in the ever increasing swells. A torrential downpour of rain began to batter the barque as she sailed deeper into the storm. Celestia had no idea what to do, she stood on the deck in awe what was happening around her. A few of the crew bumped into her in their hurry, and said nothing.

Back at the helm, Driftwood argued with the helmsman.
"What are you doing you imbecile, sail around the storm!" He yelled.
"We can't do that Captain. We've already sailed into the storm." The helmsman yelled back. They could barely hear each other over the roaring sound of the wind, and the pelting of the rain. Driftwood suddenly grabbed at the wheel, and spun in around to starboard. The Valiant turned hard just as a massive swell was about to hit them. It collided hard with the port side of the barque. Most of the crew were thrown about the deck, but in her daze, Celestia had been thrown overboard. She flailed about in the water, yelling out for help. Her calls went unanswered as she quickly sunk beneath the surface. She unfortunately didn't know how to swim, and she flailed about under the water's surface, sinking deeper. Eventually, her lungs began to cry out in agony at the lack of oxygen. Celestia could feel herself dying, even her magic couldn't help her in this situation, her energy had been drained completely. Her vision began to darken, just as she passed out, she felt something grab her.

Author's Note:

The song Mainsail was forced into singing :) it's a beautiful little tune.