• Published 20th Feb 2014
  • 383 Views, 4 Comments

Mainsail, Captain of Legend - KonceptKarma



The story of how Captain Mainsail went from a lowly deckhand aboard a civilian vessel to a legendary captain of the Equestrian Navy.

  • ...
 4
 383

Chapter 2. Deckhand Mainsail

As the barque began to pull out of the harbor, Celestia sat in her room, fuming. She couldn't believe the nerve of that sailor, treating her with such disrespect. She hoped the captain thoroughly punished him for his insolence. It was the first time someone had ever treated her like that, and she didn't like it at all. There was a quiet knock on her cabin's door.
"Enter." She did her best to calm herself down, but it failed as she saw who opened the door.
"Begging your pardon milady," Mainsail started, "I hope I'm not intruding."
"What do you want?" Celestia grumbled.
"I just wanted to talk." Mainsail entered the room, closing the door behind him, "I think we got off on the wrong hoof, and I wanted to apologize for my behavior earlier. It's just, I didn't like the way you spoke to me back there, so I stormed off without thinking. Even though it was my fault dropping your belongings like that."
"You're exactly right," Celestia started, "it was your fault. You're lucky that after that little stunt you pulled that I'm even allowing you to speak to me. Even though a matter like this is completely beneath me I would highly suggest that you..." Mainsail snapped, he galloped towards Celestia and pinned her against the wall of her cabin.
"You know something Princess, I think I can teach you something about leadership," Mainsail's voice growled with anger as he spoke, "if you treat everyone like they're beneath you, one day you'll find someone who won't take it. That day will be the day you regret the most." When Mainsail finished, he released her, turned away, and left the room. Leaving Celestia standing there, shaking with fear.

Out on deck, Marco and Ayudante were lazing around. There wasn't much to do on the ship while she was sailing, so they mostly spent time telling stories to one another, or making up songs. There were many stories to tell, as the East Griffin Company hired practically anyone, whether they were pony, griffin, or deer alike.
"Did I ever tell you the story of the Ciervan Civil War?" Ayudante asked.
"Yeah, only about a million times," Marco flung his hooves into the air and flopped onto his back, "I need something exciting to happen or I'm gonna go nuts of these days."
"You should know better Marco," Mainsail warned as he trotted up, "it's a bad omen to ask for excitement aboard a ship."
"So you're suddenly a superstitious pony?" Marco taunted.
Mainsail leaned against the Valiant's deck railing, "No, it's just that you're idea of excitement worries me." He and Ayudante laughed.
"But I'm not wrong am I?" Marco asked, "It's the same thing day in and day out aboard this tub. I just want something different to happen."
Ayudante nudged Marco, "Well, you may get your wish." Mainsail turned to see Celestia angrily trotting toward him.
"Ah milady," Mainsail bowed, "care to join us?"
Celestia stood inches away from him, glaring, "What was that back there?"
"Just a piece of friendly advice Princess." Mainsail spoke mockingly.
"That 'advice' was anything but friendly. Celestia huffed, "Try anything like that again with me, and I shall have the captain throw you into the sea." She turned and began to trot off.
"You shouldn't get the captain to do your dirty work for you." Mainsail called to her, to which she she spun glared at him for a moment, the continued to trot away.
"Well, she's a feisty one isn't she?" Marco chuckled silently.
"If by feisty you mean unbearable, then yes." Mainsail murmured. He was about to turn back towards the seascape before them, until he heard a loud thud. He turned back to see the princess slumped over on the deck.
"Hey, Princess." Mainsail ran up with a worried look upon his face.
Celestia mumbled, "I feel so weird."
"She's seasick," Mainsail motioned to Marco and Ayudante, "help me get her to her cabin."

When Celestia woke, she was in her cabin, the light of the day had faded to dusk. She began to wonder how her mother and sister were doing. The light of the sun was barely visible over the horizon, and the dim light reflected across the sea, bathing it in a warm glow. Her parent's dusks were always beautiful, but sea made it more so. She wondered, when her sister and her took over, would they be able to make dusks look like that? Her thoughts were interrupted by another presence in her room.
"Good to see you're awake." Mainsail called out from the doorway.
"Oh great, it's you. Come to make fun of me perhaps? The princess who collapsed on deck in front of everyone." Celestia threw her arms out in exaggeration.
"No, I came to see if you were okay." Mainsail sat beside her bed, "It's something that happens to most ponies when they first venture out to sea. Although, most don't have cases as bad as you did."
Celestia looked shocked, "You really came to see if I was okay?"
"Well, yeah," Mainsail was surprised by how shocked she was, "I may not like you very much, but I don't like seeing anyone getting hurt. Not to mention, your well being is our responsibility." He pointed to himself as he spoke.
Celestia chuckled at him, "Right, and my father?"
"He just left," Mainsail motioned to the door, "he sat by your side almost the entire time you were out. You're lucky to have someone like him keeping his eye on you, you know."
"Yeah, I am." With that, Mainsail got up and left the room. Celestia looked back at out the porthole, the sun had completely set beyond the horizon, leaving her mother's night to watch over the ship.

Out on deck, Mainsail leaned against the railing, watching as the moonlight reflected against the calm sea. He really liked the way the sea looked at night, a peaceful white glow radiating across the small swells. It was times like this that he could forget all of his troubles and think. He hummed the tune of Randy Dandy-O to himself, the night breeze rolling over his body, the smell of salt in the air.
"What do you think?" A stern voice called out from behind him. Mainsail turned to find King Seraph standing behind him.
"Think of what, your highness?" Mainsail asked casually.
"My beloved Selene's moon, she works hard on it you know." Seraph stated matter-of-factually.
"Aye, it is a beautiful sight." He looked out at the nightscape.
"I'd like to apologize on behalf of my daughter," The king sighed, "she still has much to learn about becoming a leader."
"It's alright your highness," Mainsail nodded, "besides, it's kind of my fault. I sorta keep pushing her buttons."
Seraph leaned in to Mainsail's ear and whispered, "Well keep it up."
Mainsail looked at the King in surprise, "What, you want me to keep irritating the princess?"
"Put bluntly, yes." Seraph nodded surely, "Celestia needs to learn to to deal with these types of matters. Not everyone she meets is going to bend over backwards to please her. So I'd like to ask you to keep it up, she needs this, even if she doesn't think it."
Mainsail contemplated refusing, but gave in, "Alright your highness, I'll do it."
"That's a good lad," Seraph pat him on the back roughly, "now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to bed." Mainsail nodded, and watched as the king trotted off. He certainly was an odd one, Mainsail gave him that.

Author's Note:

This is the song Mainsail was humming to himself, I personally love this song.