• Published 24th Mar 2012
  • 1,033 Views, 26 Comments

Rainbow Dash: Before the Awesome - redpackman4421



Rainbow Dash's life as a young filly. Not what some may have expected...

  • ...
0
 26
 1,033

Chapter 6

Rainbow and Hoops stood, knees bent, and eyes locked forward in eager anticipation of the race. They both stood on the highest cloud outside of the school, miles above they ground The tension was so thick, you could cut it with a knife. Fillies, big and small had all come around to see what all of the commotion was about. They whispered to one another, some were even trying to make bets on the winner.the little ones were all really excited to see an actual race, and they all eagerly chatted and giggled with each other. The older ones seemed to be a bit more nonchalant about the whole thing, but stayed to see it none the less for lack of something better to do.
"Alright everypony, settle down, settle down!" the filly Thunderlane spoke, "It's about time we got this show in the road."
Everypony began to quiet down and listen as the little pegasus began to explain the race in detail.
"The race will be from this starting cloud, to the school and back. We're about two miles away from it now, so you two better be ready to flap your wings like crazy. Are you guys ready?" Thunderlane asked.
They both nodded.
"Alright then. On your mark...."
Rainbow dig her hooves into the cloud, breathing slowly and incredibly focused.
".....Get set....."
Rainbow could feel the adrenaline pumping through her veins. She was ready and she knew it. "You can do this." she thought to herself, "It's now or never." But right then, something caught her eye. A colt, with a black mane and a beautiful blue coat. Her eyes locked with his. For just a brief moment, time stopped. Rainbow had never felt like this before, a strange, unwarranted feeling went through her. Butterflies started forming in her stomach, and she felt a sudden rush of blood in her head.
"GO!!!!!!!!" the little Pegasus yelled.
Hoops immidiatley launched himself forward, stretching out his wings and zoomed forward towards the school. Dash was startled out of her trance, and gasped when she saw that Hoops had taken the leed. Rainbow sprang forward off the cloud and zoomed towards the school as well to try to catch up with Hoops. She flew as fast as her little wings could carry her, zipping by the clouds with facile ease. This was her time, these were the moments that she lived for. She was in the zone. The longer she flew, the faster she got, gaining on Hoops with every second. They were almost at the school now, and Rainbow could almost touch Hoops's tail. Dash flew faster and faster until she was flying at the same level as the young colt. Right when the rainbow headed filly was about to ever take the cocky little pegasus though, it happened again. The image of the colt just appeared in Dash's head in a flash. That beautiful blue coat, that soft, dazzling mane, and those absolutely breath-taking green eyes. He was mesmirizing.
*CRASH!!!!*
Rainbow was once again aroused from her fantasy and was brought back to reality, this time a lot less pleasantly. While she had been absent-mindedly flying, she forgot that she had been quickly approaching the school building. Very quickly in fact, and before she could stop herself, she crashed face first into the concrete of the building, and right on impact she blacked out and began to fall.
She woke up a few minutes later to find herself lying on her stomach on a cloud underneath the school building.
"Oh......What happened........ I don't even...." she began, but stopped when she noticed a large group of fillies above her.
"Rainbow, are you okay?" Gilda said, rushing out of the crowd with a concerned look on her face. "Oh Celestia! You have a huge bruise on your head!" she said, still very worried. She wasn't listening to her. Rainbow didn't care about the bruise on her head, but the one on her pride. That would take a lot longer to heal.
"I lost, didn't I." Rainbow muttered, looking straight down and not wanting to meet Gilda's eyes. Gilda looked down too, "At least you tried. When you guys got to the school, you almost passed him!" she tried to say encouragingly.
"It doesn't matter what I almost did, I lost. I failed." Dash responded, voice trembling and tears swelling in her eyes.
Gilda was about to respond, but was quickly interrupted by the mocking voice of a colt, "HA, HA, HA! Nice going Rainbow CRASH! Maybe you should wear a helmet next time," Hoops mocked, "or maybe you shouldn't mess with ponies out of your league! How about you learn to fly before actin' all tough and tryin' to race ponies."
That was it. Hoops might as well have taken a hammer and demolished the scraps of pride that Rainbow Dash had left. After hearing those words, Dashie couldn't contain herself anymore. She put her face in her hooves and began to bawl worse than Fluttershy, breaking out in I controllable sobs. "Oh, is the little foal gonna cry now? Boohoohoo! I guess you're a cry-foal AND a pathetic flier! You're a discrace to Cloudsdale, loser!" Hoops continued to mock.
Gilda couldn't, and WOULDN'T just stand there and let the friend that she had tried so hard to make today, be antagonized by some feather brained jerk.
She marched strait over to Hoops and screamed, "HEY! THAT'S MY FRIEND YOU'RE TALKING TO! YOU'VE BEEN THE BIGGEST JERK EVER THIS WHOLE DAY, SO HOW ABOUT YOU JUST BUCK OFF AND LEAVE US ALONE!!!!!"
Hoops was stunned. Rainbow was stunned. The entire crowd of fillies were stunned.
There was silence for a while, with the only interruptions being the sniffles from Rainbow Dash as she wiped her eyes and nose.
Hoops quickly stammered, "Stupid Giffon loser, I'm sick of being disrespected!" Hoops grabbed Gilda shoved her face into the clouds. He was a out to strike her across the face with his hoof until a voice made him stop on his tracks.
"Hoops, don't even think about it." The voice said calmly. There was nothing threatening about it, but it had a certain tone to it. One that seemed to take the attention of Hoops at least.
Hoops sighed, "Fine, Spitfire."
He released Gilda and flew back over to his other two cronies. Gilda and Dash both looked for the source of the voice that had likely saved them both, when she stepped out towards them. She had a glistening golden coat, and fiery red mane, and a light smile in her face.
"Hi, I'm Spitfire." she spoke smoothly.
She looked older than Rainbow by about four years. She was tall, and had her mane straight and tidy. (A first, I know)
"I'm Gilda, thanks for the save, you really saved my flank there." Gilda said a bit embarrassed.
"Any day, especially for a Griffon as brave as yourself. It takes a lot of guts to stand up for you friends and be willing to put yourself on the line for them." Spitfire said smiling. She turned to Rainbow, "What about you? Are you okay? That was quite the crash you had there."
"I'm fine, I just didn't look where I was going, that was all." Rainbow said weakly.
"Well I'm glad to hear that, but I wasn't talking about that, I meant if you're okay, you know, emotionally. By the way, what's your name?" Spitfire inquired.
"Rainbow Dash, and yeah I'm okay." Rainbow said, trying not to sound like a total wuss in front of Spitfire.
"Fitting name." Spitfire chuckled. She put on a more serious face though when she turned to Hoops and his gang.
"I don't want to see you three messing with her again, or there will be consequences." Spitfire said in that same voice she had used to command them before, "Do I make myself clear?"
"Yeah, yeah." Hoops responded for the three of them.
"Good, now let's get back to class, we're all almost late." Spitfire spoke to everypony.
With that, the crowd had dispersed and went back to the classrooms.