• Published 14th Feb 2014
  • 2,603 Views, 46 Comments

Fallen From Grace - Conrad



Keith came to Equestria unknowingly, and as one bad decision led to another, he ended up stealing the catalyst to his reign of villainy. He didn't want to go this far. Not like the stone he stole will let him go back though

  • ...
7
 46
 2,603

Chapter 1

I stood on the edge of a canyon that ripped through the everfree forest, gazing down to the distant bottom where water flowed. The canyon continued for as far as I could see in either direction, its stone grey walls well eroded and pocketed with caves.

As soon as I had left from Canterlot I had gone into the everfree. I don’t know why I distinctly decided on the everfree, but for some reason, I felt like it would be able to hide me for now. After coming into the forest, I had begun searching for a proper area to set up a base for a good portion of the beginning of the day, preferring perhaps stone to shape into a base or caves to mold into my liking.
Well, here this canyon had plenty of each.

Surveying the opposing wall of the canyon, I was quickly able to find a place that I decided would do for now. From what I could see, it was definitely wide and tall enough to fit a decent sized house, and probably extended further back quite a distance. Plus, with all this stone around, I was certain I could expand the cave outwards in order to fit my liking.

Content with my choice, I then turned my attention to gaining a way to get there; looking around at the trees that surrounded me, I had an idea.

Using what I was now calling my 'wind-blades', I was able to cut down a tree and have it fall so that it connected the two sides of the canyon, making a bridge over it, and directly above where the cave entrance was. Then, cutting off a long enough vine from another tree, I tied one end of it to the tree, while the other end I threw down the canyon.

Following this, I used the vine as a rope and began descending awkwardly with one arm, the other hand still holding the Sapphire Stone. Using this method, I was able to get myself to the point where I hanged directly in front of the entrance to the cave. After some swinging on the vine, I was then able to jump into the cave.

Looking around at what the cave I had settled for, I was a bit underwhelmed. It was, well, it had some potential.
But still, it was a cave.

Grey stone was everywhere, various stalactites and stalagmites were hanging all around, while the floor itself was uneven with cracks everywhere.

Not gonna lie, the thought that I was just going to settle for just living in a cave like this didn't sit well with me. It provided isolation, yes, a place to practice my magic until I decided to return to the surface and return my attention to the ponies, but it was missing, well, everything else a home would.

Then I thought, perhaps I could first turn this place into something... more fitting. I had magic on my side.
Plus it was on my agenda to learn earth magic.

So I began like that, drawing power from the statue and using it to mold the shape of the surrounding rock to the point where it looked clean-cut, as if it had been mined out of the earth.

Repeating this process and getting better at it over time, I continued transforming the cave into what was a rectangular hole, atleast twenty yards wide and ten yards high, continuing on for nearly sixty yards, at which point I decided it was good for now.

Returning to the front of the cave, I then decided it needed a proper entranceway, and so, I spent some time then forming the front of the cave into three gothic looking arche-ways. Taking a step back after finishing it, I was pretty damned proud.

Granted, I still needed doors for them, plus a better way to get down here from the forest, not to mention all the furniture I could use.
But it was a start.





______________________________________________________________________________





I sat down in my new lair, back against the wall near the entrance. Outside the cave I could easily see the sun setting down in the far reaches of the canyon, casting the evening sky into a deep blood-red inferno. This inferno was then also cast all over the canyon, reflecting off the grey stone and water down below, giving it all this pinkish tinge. It was a pretty sight, at least.

I took a breathe in, then deeply sighed.

Following the creation of the start of my base, I had spent a good reminder of the day trying to create fire with my magic. It took me awhile to get used to it, but now I was at the point where I could shoot a decent amount of flames out of my hands, which were evidenced by the new scorch marks covering parts of the wall.

I could clean the up later, in fact, no, I didn't really have to, I was the only one here. I was alone, free. Those damned ponies couldn’t arrest me anymore. I could just stay here basically, a shut in from this abomination of a world I had been flung into.

Then again, I was bored already from doing this.

I seriously needed to find something to do, just 'build base and train' was easily now looking a bit too tedious for me. Maybe it was the fact that I always had this tendency to want instant results and gratification, and now realizing how much work I had in front of me for so little reward. It just got me uninterested in this lifestyle.

What was my end goal actually right now? Just learn magic? That was boring, not to mention I already knew some magic, so I could technically say I had that basically completed.

Maybe first thing I could accomplish is get some food though, I thought, I had basically spent most of the day building this area and training my magic.

Going to stand up, I pushed off both of my hands, when I realized something.

Why couldn't I let go of the Statue?

It’s not like I never noticed it before, its just that its a fact that has always been at the back of my mind, like it was repressed.
Standing up, I decided to try and remove it, for the sake of seeing if I could at least. It made no sense for me to be unable to remove it, it was a stone that was storing a large mass of magic, nothing else.

With that thought, I began to try and remove it, grabbing the statue with my free hand and attempting to pull it out of the grasp of my other hand, yet the harder I pulled, the less I saw point and doing it, to the point where I just let go of the statue with my second hand.
I just lost the will to even try to question it.

Why would I want to let go of the Statue?

It was my source of power now, with it the ponies couldn’t stand to face me

Maybe instead of doing what I was doing I should instead be hunting for some food.

Yea, hunting.

I needed food, and maybe while I was at it, maybe I could go slaughter something for the sake of entertainment. Maybe that was all I needed to do to figure out what my goal.

I could feel it arising again, that inexplicable lust for blood I held felt so strongly back in Canterlot.

It was like I was being driven to, no, I only wanted to cause pain and suffering.

Yes, this was what I wanted, and I take what I want.

I stood up, pausing for a brief second before walking outside.

Strangely enough, it had felt almost like I was not alone for a second there.

I dismissed the thought shortly after though, and resumed my ascension into the forest.
Outside the entrance to my home, I had created a stone staircase jutting out of the wall of the canyon and leading to the forest above earlier in the day in between my training. Climbing up these steps, I quickly arrived up top. By this time the sun had continued setting to the point where the sky was fading to a deep blue as the last vestiges of light faded were snuffed out by the encroaching darkness.
I had my goal now, I could feel it driving me on as I took my steps over the tree log bridge and into the forest on the other side of the canyon. I was hungry, and had a deep growing want.

I had to use my magic on living things again.

That joy, that bliss, I wanted it again. I was an addict already, that high from only a day ago having been in no way close enough.
The magic coursing through me, stemming from the statue, it demanded to be used.

My hunger needed to be sated. Destruction had to be wrought.

The hunt was on.



______________________________________________________________________________

I had did it, the chicken laid at my feet, charred and finally dead. It hadn't taken much, it was pretty easy actually. Well, there was the whole fact that I had basically just spent the past ten minutes putting out a large inferno I unintentionally started throughout the forest while chasing the chicken down after it fled from my first shot of fire at it, spreading flames as I went along for the sake of the entertainment it gave me.

But in the end I had got the chicken, and that's all that mattered. Never mind the trail of ashes that led to where I was now standing.
Ravenous with hunger, I quickly tore the chicken apart, the meat still steaming with heat, and began eating it. Somehow through the excitement and realization of the fire I spread, my thirst for destruction had died, yet my actual hunger was still there.
Well still there for a little longer until I finished this.

But that thirst for destruction, it had been euphoric feeding it, watching the forest surrounding me burning in my wake. Somehow, simply doing that satisfied it.

It was the weirdest thing, I thought.

But that’s when I heard it, the rustling of bushes, pawsteps crunching towards me.

I froze, half-eaten chicken leg still in my mouth.

Slowly beginning to stand up, I began to hear the low accompanying growls to their step, though it was completely unlike the ones of a wolf, it was deeper, with the decidedly almost woody undertone.

Now standing straight up, I turned my head around to looked for signs of them. One, two, three sets of eyes, nearly completely surrounding me.

Predators, furthermore one’s that must’ve thought the territory I had hunted on was theirs.
They would need to be taught that that was no longer the case now.

The three of them walked out from their cover of foliage, knowing they were spotted, yet they still must have believed the had an advantage in numbers and perhaps were capable of taking me down. Once they fully emerged, I finally realized why their growls had sounded off, they were constructed of wood of all things.

Well, that was just another reason why this would be fun for me, I learned fire spells this day. Now, I had another chance to use them on something that wasn’t a chicken, and would likely be prone to be easily damage by it.

Quickly going into a fighting stance, I began once again pull magic from the statue, but it for some reason not giving the power I wanted as easily as it usually did. It was a curious thing but I paid it no mind, being in my current state.

With the power I managed to gather, I ignited the air around my hand, encoating it in flames ready to incinerate the first wolf that pounced. Then, using the free hand that held the statue to point around at the wolves, I issued a taunt:

“So, who wants to become my campfire the most?” Oh dear lord that was shitty.

Thank god the wolves can’t understand me, in fact they’re too busy staring at my statue reverently to even pay attention to my shity one-liner, thank god for that.

Wait a minute.

I moved the statue around in the air, their heads moved to follow it. At the same time, as if connecting the fact that me and the statue were one thing, they completely dropped the threatening attack act and sat down, looking at me, their tails wagging and growl instead turning into the normal breathing of a dog.

Okay, what the hell? Since when did this freaking statue make all the wolves my friends.

I looked at the statue again: Two blue dogs encasing a blue crystal.

Well, I guess it makes sense, I’ve seen weirder.

Approaching the largest on the three, I extinguished my free hand and offered it to the wooden wolf, he just ‘smelled’ it before going ahead and ‘licking it.’

I’m pretty certain a gap between sticks didn’t count as a nose, and a wet leaf didn’t count as a tongue, but what the hell, they were wolves made of wood and I had just befriended them.

I don’t even know what to say.



______________________________________________________________________________

The wolves followed me home.

They followed me home.

I guess that meant they had accepted me as the new alpha-male or something, I don’t know how wolf family things work, and call it weird though, but I just had this gut feeling that I should trust them. Somehow I was convinced they wouldn’t just maul me in my sleep.
It was nearly pitch black by the time I got back to my home, guided only by the light of the moon.

Arriving at my “house”, I once again crossed the tree log bridge and went down the stone stair, and those wooden wolves, they just followed me unphased. I even tried to shoo them away before crossing the bridge, yet they just instead kept following me.

Well, I figured if they’re so determined to follow me, why the hell not? If nothing, I’m certain wolves made of wood might just make some great company.

Then again, now that I think on it, there’s bound to be another fight between me and those damned ponies. They imprisoned me and planned to kill me, they needed to learn a lesson, especially those damned princesses, taking me for a fool.

With these thoughts, I sat down on the floor of my house, with my back against the wall. The wolves then took it as a sign, and laid down next to me.

This day had been fruitful. Made a base, discovered some magic and made some friends somehow.
Sitting here next to my new wolves, I began to drift off to sleep off to sleep, somehow ignoring that I had these living piles of sticks sleeping next to me too.

Eventually sleep overtook me.



_____________________________________________________________________________



I stood there, the darkness around me. It covered everything thickly, looking almost tangible. As if I were to put my hand out and grasp it, I could pull it, move it.

I could hear the sounds of clopping hooves on hard ground, encircling me, each precise step following the same slow repeating pattern perfectly, like the constant ticking of a clock. Not once did a step fall out of sync.

I could only stare forward, observing the inexplicable darkness and hearing the sounds. I knew I was not restrained, instead I was just enraptured by the void spread in front of me. It felt discomforting, as if it knew every secret I could ever contain, as if I were on trial for existing and the punishment was eternal torment.

That’s when the darkness and sound faded, and through the veil pierced a bright and nearly blinding light. I blinked. When I opened my eyes once again I was now in a garden, one that looked familiar.

Then I realized it, I was now in the Canterlot gardens.

Blink.

I could then see them, every soldier who had died, in that same garden. All lined up in front of me. Burned, disfigured, decaying.

Blink.

It was a street now, a funeral procession. Hundreds of ponies lined up, all in black. The sky overhead was thick with rain clouds, the first raindrops only just dropping. Everything was silent save for the the rain hitting on the ground and the sounds of crying. I could see the hearse, drawn by a multitude of guard ponies.

Blink.

I now saw myself, killing each and every soldier, again. Reliving the actions I had committed from their own eyes.

Each death displayed individually.

Every second of it.

Every funeral.

Every death.

They displayed continuously, speeding up, the area around me changing every second, each death, each funeral, all of them cycled through.

Then I heard her whisper.

“Reconcile, give yourself up”

I wanted to answer her, but my body would not obey me, my eyes glued to each and every death that flashed before my eyes.
Then she herself appeared in front of me, walking through the scenes that were flashing by as if they were a fog.
She looked at me, regarding me with nothing but the utmost disgust.

Walking up to within arms reach of me she continued her disapproving glare for a few moments, before continuing to state:
“Until you give yourself up, these same scenes will be all you see when you sleep, In Fact maybe We’ll also have you relive the final moments of the ones you slaughtered personally, see every single life that you destroyed from their view. See their families, their friends.”

She began circling me at this moment, continuing on her talking.
It was then I began to hear a low growl in the background, coming from all sides, but from the way Luna was acting, it was as if she couldn’t hear it as she continued.

“And if that is not a encouragement, perhaps I can think of something better” She continued, the growling in the background now growing continuously louder.

“It is commonly believed that you cannot feel pain in a dream. That’s false, I have the power to make it reality.” Luna stopped her trotting in front of me once again, facing me, smiling almost, as if sure her sentence would be the one to end me.

In an instant, she was screaming bloody hell, as a giant wolf black as night with glowing blue eyes had jumping and latched on her neck, generously drawing what should of been blood but instead a liquid that glowed a light blue and was now getting all over the giant wolf and the surrounding area, including myself.

I myself had barely registered the attack, it happened so fast, but now that it was in full swing, I jumped back, in shock and now able to control my body.

Luna continued her screaming, sounding like death itself, and flailed her body around in an attempt to throw the wolf off.
After a few moments, the wolf finally let go of her, before quickly and near silently moving into a position between me and Luna.
Breathing heavily, with the light blue liquid generously spread everywhere and still gushing from her opened neck, Luna recomposed herself and casted a spell. After a flash, her neck was healed and she was whole once again.

Simply looking at the wolf with an air of what couldn’t been less than complete hatred, Luna then turned her gaze between the two of us a few times before stating:

“This is not the last time we shall see each other, beast”

Then she simply vanished from sight in an instant.

I’m certain she wasn’t addressing the wolf.


______________________________________________________________________________



I woke, sweat covering my body and my breathing heavy. Looking around and trying to calm down, I realised that I was inadvertently clutching the statue with both hands now, holding it close to my chest.

The three wolves that were around me stayed exactly where they were, yet each of them had their eyes wide open, glowing yellow and staring at me, contrasting with the near pitch black of the early hours of the morning.

Then I realized something else, the jewel in the statue was glowing, giving off a faint deep blue tinged glow.

‘What the hell is with this statue.’

Author's Note:

World and character building galore.

Expect a certain character reveal soon and the building up of actual villainy.

I still don't know how long the average chapter is going to be, probably longer than this but shorter than the first I'm thinking.

See any grammar errors be sure to let me know

Otherwise, I'll see you guys in a few days for the next chapter

-Conrad