• Published 25th Mar 2014
  • 4,764 Views, 354 Comments

Silver Spirit, Ghost of Equestria. - Powerdrainer



In their quest to earn their Cutie Marks, and maybe find an answer for the strange events that have occurred, Sweetie Belle, Apple Bloom, and Scootaloo soon learn they've taken on more than they can handle. Question is, can they keep this a secret?

  • ...
8
 354
 4,764

Shadow of Past Sins

Edited by Halusm and Clawder.

Shadow of Past Sins

<<>><<>><<>>

"Hello, Sam."

Sam gasped out, partially flinching back into the shadows after having been found out.

"It is good seeing you again," said the frost giant, looking at her with glowing orange eyes and a kind smile.

Shaking herself out of her stupor, Sam stepped out into full view.

"You know me?" She asked with a faint hint of suspicion.

"Of course," the giant confirmed. "After all, my village rarely receives guests. Let alone of the Great One and his friends. You three did draw quite the crowd, if memory serves me well."

Sam blinked, "I guess that makes sense. Though, I have no idea who you are." She said rather bluntly.

The giant chuckled a bit. "As straight forwards as always, I see. And, no. You would not. Though there was quite the gathering when you and your friends came to visit, I remained on the sidelines. Watching, but not interacting," the giant explained.

"Well, you know my name. So what should I call you?" Sam asked.

"Call me the Elder. Everyone else does. As for those unspoken questions you are still debating to ask or not, I am a friend of Clockwork. And, yes. I am also here to help Danny… among others."

Sam blinked again, looking surprised at the Elder.

"Samantha," Clockwork spoke up. "The Elder has the gift to see more than most. Whereas I control time, she sees the truth. All of the truth. And she can even influence it, to some extend."

"You mean she's like you?" Asked Sam.

"Indeed," the Elder nodded once. "I, too, am an Embodiment. And I see Clockwork explained a thing or two about us."

"Just the gist of things. And only about himself. Even then, he barely said anything."

"Yes, he does like to do that," the Elder agreed, a humorous glint showing in her eyes. "Though, I do recall a certain young ghost I once met long ago. He had so many questions, yet received almost no answers. It frustrated him to no end." She chuckled mirthfully as she glanced at Clockwork. "How the tables have turned, wouldn't you agree?"

Clockwork's only reply was a roll of his eyes. Though the Elder did see the faintest of grins.

"Wait, you mean Clockwork used to be like me?" Sam asked in disbelief.

"Not like you," Clockwork countered. "Though there are similarities," he admitted. "...I, too, was once young." He sighed out, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Young and naive. And that's all I will say about this."

The Elder laughed for a moment, but nodded in agreement after.

"I'm not getting anything else out of you, am I?" Sam droned, arms crossed.

"She really has come to know you quite well," the Elder commented.

"Yes. She is quite perceptive," Clockwork agreed. "But so am I," he added. "And I know there is more to you being here than what we've just talked about."

"How right you are," the Elder nodded. She then turned to Sam. "Sam, I am well aware of what you and Clockwork have been doing. And I must commend you for the choice you have made. Deciding to remain here, instead of trying to return to your friends could not have been easy. Especially after seeing what your death did to them."

"... Yeah," Sam said, voice lowered as she looked down. "It isn't easy. Especially considering…. But I know this is for the best. We… I need to do this… to help Danny."

"Indeed," the Elder concurred. "And speaking of which, right now Danny needs your help again."

Sam looked up at the giant, surprised, and even a bit shocked.

"How do you mean?" Clockwork asked, surprised as well.

The Elder silently looked at Clockwork for several long moments, puzzled.

"I am surprised, Clockwork. Did you truly miss this?"

"Missed, what?" He asked, worried.

"Back when the children were with me, asking for help to cure the disease which is killing the changelings, I saw a most unusual deviation on their path… Or, more precisely, their path crossed with that of Danny."

"What!?" Clockwork said, shocked. "But right now, he should still be in Ponyville, searching for those three. How did he find them?"

"It would seem an unexpected addition steered him off course," the Elder told him. "Someone who has been looking for Danny ever since he left."

"Who?" Asked Sam.

"A certain pup, who seems to have formed a particularly strong bond with Danny," the Elder answered.

"Cujo?" Sam gasped.

"Hmhmm," the Elder nodded. "I noticed him when he entered the Far Frozen, and subsequently traversed through the portal."

"You mean to tell me a ghost has been present in Equestria looking for Danny?"

"And found him," the Elder added.

"Oh, this can't be good," Sam remarkt. "Cujo looks all small and cute, but if threatened or angered you don't want to be anywhere near him…. Still," she hummed. "Cujo is a trained guard dog. He could easily pick up on the fillies' scent and lead Danny to them. But if he's there, then what is happening in Ponyville. I mean, it's not like he can just tell the others a ghost dog showed him the way."

"No, he could not. Nor could he just leave without a trace.

"Don't tell me-" Clockwork groaned, then turned to the viewing portal.

With a wave of his staff, an image cleared out. Danny, in his bedroom, duplicating himself. One half of him joining with Twilight, the other staying behind for a bit, only to be surprised by Cujo tackling him to the ground and slobbering his face.

Danny's suspicion over the sudden increase of ghosts grew apparent, only for the recently 'born' Eclipse to steer him back on track.

Moving forwards, Clockwork, Sam, and the Elder then watched as Danny inspected the barn which Wind Chill had made into his home. Finding numerous hoof prints in the snow covered ground, Cujo was quick to pick up a scent trail, and promptly led Danny out into the Everfree Forest, and from there, towards the changelings' city. Only to be met with a herd of spectral equines which froze everything in their wake. And fighting them off, Wind Chill and Sweetie Belle.

Watching the rest of the events play out, Clockwork quietly muttered to himself while frowning deeply.

"This is not good," he finally spoke up.

"Perhaps. Or maybe this could be a turning point for Danny. Even to me, this is unclear. However, this is not the trouble I was referring to, despite all the implications this event may pose."

Sensing what she was talking about, Clockwork shifted the view to Danny's other half, and this time audibly swore in ancient tongue.

"Indeed," the Elder agreed.

"You mean… Danny gets found out?" Sam gasped, eyes wide as she watched how Danny, surrounded by many, cornered in a hut of a zebra by a small team of ghost hunters, was revealed to all."

"I am afraid so," the Elder sighed out. "Danny has been on the run, hiding for so long. Eventually his luck would have run out. Unfortunately, that happened at the worst possible time and place. Surrounded by friends and unexpected enemy, all paranoid about ghosts. And, to some extent, rightfully so. This is where you come in, Sam."

"Me?"

Nodding, the Elder looked at her fully. "Yes. Even if Danny does not know it, we are still there to help him. And with Clockwork's help, we can intercept this event before everything falls apart. However, it is up to you to pull this attention away from Danny."

"Why?"

"Because, like no other, you know what is at stake here. And I know you can succeed, and keep most of our involvement hidden."

"Most of our involvement?" Sam repeated, worried.

"Regardless of how we respond to this, Danny has become suspicious. But, depending on how we act, we may be able to steer things back on track."

"But how come Clockwork didn't know anything about this?" Sam asked, looking at the time ghost.

Clockwork, frowning deeply, back still turned to Sam as he continued staring into the viewing portal, didn't answer. Though Sam did notice the tightening of his hand with which he held his staff.

"... What do I need to do?" Sam asked, clearly picking up on the unspoken worries from Clockwork.

"Go there," the Elder instructed. "Clockwork will open a portal for you, mere moments before Danny would be found out. As for what you will need to do once there… that is something you must decide for yourself."

Sam stood silent, biting her lower lip, deep in thought.

"But how will I get close enough to help, without setting of Danny's ghost sense? Surrounded as he is, it would be difficult to hide, let alone explain when a puff of cold air escapes his mouth."

"You are correct. Which is why you will not set off his ghost sense," the Elder told her.

"Huh?"

"Clockwork, could you please give me one of your medallions?"

Clockwork, silently watching events play out in the viewing portal, snapped out of his thoughts; turning around to look at the two individuals.

"A medallion? Why-... Oh, I see," he murmured, somewhat lost.

Unable to hide her growing concern, Sam turned back to the Elder as Clockwork flew of.

"What is going on with him? I've never seen him act like this."

"Indeed," the Elder nodded.

"And Clockwork doesn't just miss something as important as this, so how did he?"

"Clockwork is one of control. It is one of the reasons why he was chosen for the task, and burden he carries. If he were to lose control, however…"

"However, what?" Sam asked, but got no answer. Moments later, Clockwork returned, and presented the Elder with one of his time medallions.

"Thank you," the Elder said, accepting the object.

Holding the medallion in her hand, she closed her eyes in concentration. A wavering aura of orange surrounded the medallion, which quickly absorbed the energy. For several minutes, the Elder stood there, channelling her energy into the medallion. Then, the glow subsided, and she opened her eyes again.

"Good, it took hold," she said as she inspected her work. "Sam, if you would?" She offered the medallion to Sam.

"What did you do to it?" Sam asked.

"As Clockwork said, I can see the truth; even influence it to some extent. Which is what I have done with this medallion. As you wear it, it will not only maintain your presence in a time not your own, but hide your ghostly presence from Danny. You will not set off his ghost sense. Though the same can not be said for these ghost hunters and their equipment. After all, you do need to lead them away from Danny," the Elder explained.

Accepting the medallion with the slightest hint of reluctance, Sam placed it around her neck; feeling a most strange energy she hadn't felt during her previous interactions with these medallions.

"Clockwork, if you would?" The Elder said.

"Yes, of course," he replied readily, opening a passage through time with a wave of his staff.

"Samantha," the Elder said. "Whatever it is you will do, under no circumstances may Danny find out about you. Everything that is happening, has happened, and is going to happen is because of his deeply rooted belief he has lost you. If he were to see you, find out you are still part of the mortal plain of existence, everything we have worked for will be lost. You know what it means should this happen."

The gravity of the situation pressing down on her, Sam swallowed loudly, nodding once; eyes wide.

Taking several deep breaths, Sam stepped towards the portal, holding the medallion in a closed fist pressed against her chest.

"Good luck, child," the Elder encouraged her, and Sam vanished into the maelstrom of time.

Silence.

"You still do not know what caused it… Or is going to cause it?" The Elder asked after a moment.

"No," Clockwork admitted.

"Though the effects are already making themselves known," the Elder continued.

"Time is changing… breaking, and I do not know why," Clockwork spoke, tensely. Using his staff, he closed the portal, and tried to open a window in the not too distant future. All they saw was a horrible distortion. "The very fact events are playing out differently than they should is… worrying, to say the least… Maybe Necronomicons' involvement-"

"No," the Elder quiet him. "Despite his meddling with your plans, Necronomicon is not to blame for what is going to happen. He is merely following a different path, by a different plan other than your own. Both, however, are meant to yield the same result. To stop what is going to happen."

"And what is going to happen?"

The Elder looked up and into the viewing portal herself, standing silent for a long time.

"... I do not know," she admitted. "And it frightens me to think about what this could mean."

"Two Embodiments, one of time, the other of truth. Yet neither able to discern what is going to happen," Clockwork surmised. "We're dealing with something much more powerful than either one of us."

"On that, we agree."

"We must prepare for something we do not know how to prepare for. And even our actions so far, there is no telling if we will succeed in the long run," Clockwork worried.

"Then it is best we focus on the here and now, instead," the Elder told him with stern reassurance. "Fretting about what is to come will get us nowhere."

"I suppose you're right."

"Of course I am. Have I ever been wrong?"

"In rare instances, yes. Most commonly after you've drank half of your village's supply of strong liquor"

The Eldert laughed, embarrassed. "Even I need to cut loose every now and then."

"Yes," Clockwork agreed with a lopsided grin. "I just wished it didn't involve so much groping."

Even her dense fur couldn't hide the radiant blush now burning its way onto her face. And with a fake cough, the Elder turned away from Clockwork.

"Well, yes. I suppose so."

Chuckling, Clockwork returned the viewing portal back to its normal, blank state. Then, his slight smile fell, replaced by a frown.

"There is something else that is bothering me, though," he said.

"Oh, and what might this be?"

"The new Embodiments Tree of Life grows," Clockwork answered. "You said there is one for each of the children, but you also said these Embodiments embody one of the stages of grief. However, there are five stages, but only three Embodiments you spoke off."

"Three I have seen… Clockwork, as you know, there are things even I can not see. Though, in this instance, I understand the underlying reason why my sight is clouded. Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo and Apple Bloom are well on their way traversing the path laid out before them. The other two, however… Well, assuming there are two more."

"Right now, it would seem only logical to assume," Clockwork told her.

"I am afraid you are correct," the Elder sighed heavily. "And, continuing on their assumed path of what if, then it stands to reason these other two would connect with the children in some way, or the other. Most likely a child, like themselves. This, however, forces us to ask us some serious questions. Who are these two? How are they connected with the children? And in what way are they connected with death?"

"Apple Bloom and Scootaloo lost both their parents. And though Sweetie Belle did not suffer such a loss, she herself has become a Halfa through the actions of Necronomicon," Clockwork surmised, slowly stroking his long beard.

"Indeed. However, their connection has been revealed to me shortly after we discovered about Sweetie Belle's dual nature, and Tree of Life grew these new Embodiments. The other two, however, we can only speculate."

"It must be someone they know. Someone they connected with in ways no normal bond would allow for."

"What makes you think they have already met?" The Elder asked.

"I don't. But I sincerely hope they've done so. Tree of Life doesn't just grow anything new, unless it is absolutely warranted. Knowing this, and taking in account the imminent disaster, it only stands to reason that those meant to be involved are already so."

"I see," the Elder hummed her agreement, thinking.

"Perhaps you should take your own advice, and focus on the here and now," Clockwork said after a short moment. "Regardless of what we think could, should, or has to be, we both know all too well that Destiny works in ways we can't predict. If there are two more Embodiments, they will reveal themselves when the time is right."

"Agreed," the Elder nodded. "I do need to ask you for a favor," she added after a short moment.

"Yes," Clockwork turned back to her.

"Would you mind opening a portal near the entrance to the Far Frozen? There are some delicate matters which require my attention, and It is a rather long walk, and my old legs do not cooperate as well these days."

Clockwork snorted, raising an eyebrow. "It is no surprise to me that the Embodiment of Truth is a bad liar."

The Elder sighed out, chuckling ever so slightly. "I know, but I enjoy trying every now and then. However, I must request you open this passage for me. I am required back at the village, and time is of the essence."

"Anything I need to know about?"

"Just a final confrontation," the Elder revealed.

"Between who?"

"Fenris, and the shadow of his past sin."

Clockwork sucked in a deep breath, clenching his staff tightly as he opened a passage for the Elder.

"So, this loose end will finally be dealt with?"

"... In a way… but not how you think it will."

"Then how will it end?"

"That will depend solely on Danny. And it will not be the end. Merely the beginning." The Elder said cryptically, then stepped through the portal, leaving Clockwork behind.

Silence.

Frowning deeply, Clockwork looked at the portal as he closed it behind the Elder. One thought more prominent in his mind above all others: 'I hate it when I'm not getting any answers.'

<<>><<>><<>>

After Apple Bloom's suggestion to combine the fires, and move the sick near the walls where the fire's heat would be most effective, Apple Bloom, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle spent most of their time since Danny left to make the sick as comfortable as they could.

The fact Danny was able to 'suck' the cold from the air aiding them greatly. Though it was quite the shock to see him afterwards. The transformation he'd gone through severe and somewhat unexpected.

True, they saw what happened to his arm when he first attempted his plan. But the full body encasement of ice was not something they first expected. Nor had Danny, as he admitted shortly after returning to the throne room.

Still, he'd had a good idea how to revert his body to normal, though it required him to leave once again.

Now the group of foals, one shadowy image of Nightmare Moon, and an angry, ancient wolf capable of 'cutting' out some of the disease killing the changelings were left behind once again. And with them, an ever increasing tension between Fenris and Eclipse.

At least Eclipse stopped her attempt to talk with Fenris after Danny had a strong word with her. Yet her desire to 'rejoin' with Fenris only escalated the latter’s hostility.

With consistent growling, sheathing and unsheathing claws, and never letting Eclipse out of his sight, it was quickly decided everyone should stay far, far away from Fenris.

Yet, despite this more than fragile cooperation, everything seemed to work out for the better. At least, until Danny returned once again.

With a bark, and moving before anyone could act, let alone process what happened, Fenris attacked Danny; pinning him against the far wall with a single, muscular arm.

It took a few seconds for everyone to fully register what had just happened, but when they did, all hell broke loose.

Apple Bloom, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle gasped out. So did Erlea, Abella, Devora, and several of the older changelings. Yet where Apple bloom, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle remained standing with partially open mouths and wide eyes, Erlea quickly released a growl of her own as she began stomping towards Fenris; anger radiating off her as the air once more filled with sour emotions.

Before she had a chance to give the two a piece of her mind, however, Danny yelled for Fenris to let him go; pushing into his chest with green glowing hands which burned into the wolf's flesh.

"MASTER!" Eclipse shouted as she rushed to Danny's aid, almost toppling over Erlea in her hurry.

"HEY!" Erlea cried out in anger, yet her voice was lost on the enraged trio

With Danny firmly pinned against the wall, Fenris lifted his free paw; claws unsheathed, his intent clear.

"Oh no," Sweetie Belle gasped out, quickly scanning the room to try and find something she could use to break the two apart. Then she froze, blinked, and looked at her green glowing hoof. "Oh."

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?" Danny roared, his struggle intensifying.

"What I should have done from the start," Fenris rumbled. "I cannot allow my sin to exist any longer."

"RELEASE HIM!" Eclipse shouted, slamming her full weight into the wolf, only for her form to partially fall apart, and the resulting impact did little more than stagger Fenris. Not enough for him to lose his grip.

"I give you this one chance," Fenris rumbled, crossing eyes with Eclipse. "Leave this host willingly, and your destruction will be quick."

"And if I refuse?" Eclipse hissed.

Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo gasped out when they heard Danny groan in pain; watching as Fenris pushed his glowing claw into Danny's chest, much like how he'd cut out the disease from the changelings.

"Sweetie Belle, do something!" Apple Bloom shouted at her friend.

"But I don't know what!" Sweetie Belle cried back.

"Just shoot him, or something," Scootaloo interjected with urgency.

"Then I'll cut you out, like I've done to myself," Fenris rumbled darkly.

"THAT WILL KILL HIM!" Eclipse screamed in outrage, readying herself to strike.

Groaning in part strain, part pain, Danny grabbed hold onto the wrist of Fenris' claw partially piercing his chest.

"You ghnn- know," Danny grunted, his eyes starting to glow an icy blue. "I wanted to give you a chance, thinking that maybe what I was told wasn't, nghh- true. But now, there's not a doubt in my mind you're dangerous." Then his grip tightened, and voice darkened. "And there is no way in Hell I'll let you stay near the children."

With a burst of freezing might, Danny froze Fenris' wrist through and through. Then, twisting his arms, he broke free, while also breaking off the intruding claw.

For a moment, Fenris stood silently, almost as if he hadn't noticed what had just happened. Then, realization kicked in, and Fenris dropped to his knees, howling in anguish, holding the frozen stump with his remaining hand. While, standing in the back, the fillies all looked with wide, horror filled eyes; Sweetie Belle standing frozen with a glowing hoof raised up at Fenris.

Falling to the floor, Danny panted while clutching his chest; glaring with burning eyes at the dark wolf as the glowing puncture wounds slowly closed.

"Danny!" Sweetie Belle squeaked as she and her friends were snapped out of their stupor, rushing to Danny's aid.

"STAY BACK!" Danny yelled, and the three young ponies all came to a screeching stop; eyes wide, unsure what to do as they stared at the angry human, the panting, growling wolf, and the shadow mare ready to strike at a moment's notice.

"So," Danny grunted, slowly standing up, hands aglow. "You want to do this here, or do we take this outside? Either way, I'm more than ready to tango."

Slowly rising himself, Fenris flexed his remaining hand, glaring momentarily to the injury inflicted on him. Then his cold eyes locked with Danny's.

"You willingly chose to defend this corruption," he spat. "Your soul has already been lost, now all I can do is set it free."

Still trying to figure out what was going on, and how they could help to stop it, Apple Bloom, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle looked in shock and surprise as Fenris grabbed hold of the frozen stump where his claw once used to be. Then, they all gasped, then heaved as they witnessed Fenris crush the ice, opening the savage wound, and green glowing blood flowed out and onto the floor where it collected in a small, but rapidly growing pool.

They felt sick, through and through. Unable to comprehend what they'd just say, or even why Fenris would do such a thing to himself. And though they wanted to look away, they couldn't. Their sights remained firmly locked on the glowing puddle of ectoplasmic blood, as well as the still bleeding, severed claw now lying on the ground.

Much to their shock, a wavering aura surrounded the severed limb. And with a noticeable gasp echoing through the chamber, they watched as Fenris' paw twitched, slightly moved, then flew back towards Fenris' arm; connecting with a wet squelch, followed by a spine shivering crack as Fenris flexed the newly knitted wrist bone.

"Still haven't gotten an answer," Danny reminded Fenris, his posture becoming more aggressive, and in no way did it seem he was shocked, let alone surprised by what had just happen.

Yet, as they watched from the sidelines at the horrific display of violence and bloodshed, their attention was finally pulled away from the combatants when they heard Erlea gasp out in shock. Turning to her, they soon saw what, or more precisely who she had reacted to.

Queen Chrysalis.

No longer was she seated on her throne. Instead, she sluggishly pulled herself towards the fighters with unsteady steps; breathing shallowly, but laborious.

"Mom!" Erlea gasped, horrified as Chrysalis lost her strength and collapsed. Yet despite her rapidly dwindling strength, Chrysalis stared with partially closed eyes at the three combatants over their aggression.

Struggling to push herself back up, Chrysalis never averted her gaze from Danny.

"Stop this…. Now," she demanded, attempting to sound authoritative, but her weak, raspy voice made it sound pitiful instead.

Only managing to push herself partially up, Chrysalis' strength left her fully, and she fell to the ground again. Only Danny, acting in reflex, was able to catch her before she'd slammed into the floor once again.

However, in his act to catch Chrysalis, he dropped his guard and left his back wide open to Fenris. A mistake which the large wolf exploited without a second thought.

"DANNY! LOOK OUT!" Cried Apple Bloom.

"WATCH YOUR BACK!" Yelled Scootaloo.

"LOOK OUT, BEHIND YOU!" Screamed Sweetie belle.

All of them watched as Danny turned around, but not in time to stop the sharp claw from boring down onto him.

"NO!" Eclipse shouted, and, turning into a column of shadowy smoke, rapidly flew in between Danny and her former host.

Fenris punched his claw, slicing cleanly through Eclipse, and into Danny's open back; his claw sticking out through his chest, and a splatter of green glowing ectoplasm stained Chrysalis' face.

"""NOOOOOO!!!""" Apple Bloom, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle cried out. And, acting in blind panic and reflex, Sweetie Belle fired a searing beam into Fenris' back out of her own control.

Fenris roared out in pain as the energy burned into his flesh.

Then the world around him went dark.

<<>><<>><<>>

"SWEETIE BELLE, WHAT DID YOU DO?" Scootaloo yelled, she, as well as everyone else capable of doing so, stared wide eyed and afraid at the unfolding disaster.

"WHAT DID I DO?" Sweetie Belle cried. "WHAT DID HE DO?"

"WELL, YOU SHOT HIM IN THE BACK!" Scootaloo shouted back.

"I DIDN'T MEAN TO DO THAT! IT JUST HAPPENED!"

"WELL, SOMETHANG HAPPENED, ALRIGHT!" Apple Bloom panicked as she stared unblinkingly at the massive vortex of darkness which had consumed Danny and Fenris; and only just missing Chrysalis, who was now slowly pulled back by Erlea, Abela and Devora.

"WELL, IT'S NOT MY FAULT ECLIPSE EXPLODED, OR SOMETHING!" Sweetie Belle cried out, hooves pulling at her mane.

It all happened so suddenly. First, the shock and absolute disbelief over Fenris' actions. Him stabbing Danny, through Eclipse, completely stunned them. Yet in some unknown, panic induced instinct Sweetie Belle didn't even bother try to understand right now, she shot Fenris in the back; only for Eclipse to seemingly explode nearly instantaneous afterwards.

The massive cloud of suffocating darkness which once was Eclipse rapidly consumed Danny and Fenris, and was now swirling rapidly around them like a miniature hurricane; the occasional flash of orange visible from deep within.

"BUT WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING, RIGHT?" Scootaloo shouted, eyes flashing from her friends to the hurricane of darkness, and back.

"WHAT!?" Sweetie Belle shouted the simple, yet impossible to answer reply.

"I DON'T KNOW! SOMETHING!"

"GO GET WIND CHILL!" Apple Bloom shouted. "MAYBE HE CAN HELP!?"

"BUT WHAT ABOUT DANNY?" Sweetie Belle yelled back. "I CAN'T LEAVE HIM LIKE THIS!"

"DO YOU HAVE A BETTER IDEA?" Scootaloo shouted back, and Sweetie Belle faltered.

"GO GET WIND CHILL," Scootaloo repeated urgently. "WE'LL DO… I DUNNO. SOMETHING. JUST HURRY!"

Eyes wide in fear and shock, flashing between her friends and the vortex of darkness, Sweetie Belle found herself completely rooted on the spot.

"GO!!" Scootaloo yelled, spurring her ivory friend into motion.

Giving a single, hesitant nod, Sweetie Belle transformed and flew out of the chamber and back into the maze of hallways; desperately trying to find the way outside once more.

'Why do these things always happen to us?' she thought, panicked as she flew through one hall after the other.

<<>><<>><<>>

Thirty minutes earlier.

Darkness reigned supreme, and not even the light of the moon could penetrate the dense foliage of the Everfree Forest.

The suffocating darkness only filled by the numerous growls, barks, hisses, and even ominous sounding hooting from all the nocturnal creatures on the prowl for prey.

Then, an almost blinding flash of green illuminated the forest, scaring away whatever creature unfortunate enough to be near the phenomena; a portal opening half a meter above the ground.

Stepping out, and dropping the short distance, Sam quietly but quickly scanned her surroundings; her boots slightly rustling the few leaves, and snapping a small twig as she took a single hesitant step away from the portal.

"Okay," she spoke to herself. "Where am I, exactly?"

She didn't find an answer where she was standing, and slowly took several steps further into the darkness. Then, with only a faint hiss, the portal closed behind her, plunging the forest back into darkness; the only thing left to be seen were Sam's glowing eyes, and the faint aura surrounding her body.

Standing still, she took a deep breath, releasing it slowly as she closed her eyes and listened for any sounds out of the ordinary.

She knew she was sent back before Danny was found out, and she knew the group of ponies and lone human were still heading for the zebra's hut. Knowing this, she also knew there would be sounds to indicate to her where they were; as well as the glow of their lanterns and magic.

Sighing out after a moment, she shook her head as she failed to hear anything that could tell her which direction to head to. Then, quite unexpectedly, a snap echoed past the trees behind her, and she spun around, leering into the darkness now in front of her; her ghost vision cutting through the darkness, and revealing what lay hidden far better than her mortal eyes could have ever done.

There, out in the distance, a light; swaying ever so slightly, indicating that, whoever was holding it, walked with a slow pace.

"Found ya," she whispered.

Hovering from the ground, legs turning into an intangible tail, she quickly moved to the source of the light; making sure to circle behind the group she was expecting to find, and hid behind a tree despite her now invisible form.

It was a sense of precaution she was glad to have listened to, for instead of the group, and Danny, she instead found four other individuals she wasn't expecting. Though, in hindsight, she realized it made perfect sense.

Four ponies. A pegasus mare walking at the back, and two unicorns walking at center. Mares, too, Sam quickly realized. While walking at the front was an earth pony stallion, easily a full head taller than the rest, and a flashlight secured to his saddlebags; bobbing up and down with his every step.

"The ghost hunters," Sam realized, slowly hiding away behind the tree. "Of course."

Realizing now when she was exactly, she also determined her next course of action.

Knowing she had to lure them away from Danny, she also recognized the problem with this. It was easy for them to split up should she just show up and make a show. Trying to stop them here and now would be preferable, though this would create its own set of problems. Firstly, she didn't know just how close she was from Danny, and any action she might undertake here and now could just as easily draw him, as well as anyone else from his group back here. Furthermore, if she were to intervene now, and draw them away from Danny, she would only buy him some time while the hunters regrouped. They would come for Danny again, she was sure, so she had to find a way for them to lose interest in Danny… somehow.

She understood patience was preferable right now, though she also understood she couldn't wait too long. So, for now at least, she quietly followed after the four ponies, making sure to stay far enough away so she wouldn't trigger any of their detection gear, waiting for the opportune moment to strike.

<<>><<>><<>>

Following after the four ghost hunting ponies, Sam didn't have to wait long until they reached the hut in which she witnessed Danny being exposed through Clockwork's viewing portal.

The hut's door stood wide open, and numerous stressed voices were clearly recognizable, along with the occasional gasp and startled scream, though the full context of what was said was lost to Sam from the distance she had to maintain to remain hidden from the hunter's scanners.

Still, working from the knowledge of what she had seen, she had a good enough idea of what point of time she currently was in in this unwanted development, and she slowly moved closer, readying herself to take action.

As she did, the voices became more and more clear to her. And eventually, after carefully and slowly closing the gap inch by agonizing inch, and somewhat straining her ears, she could listen in on the conversation with little effort; hearing the leading pony of the group she'd followed knock on the open door frame, and making himself known to those inside.

"Yes, speaking of such," he said in reply of some conversation Sam only partially heard. "That's where we come in."

"Whoa!" The prismatic mare Sam knew as Rainbow Dash shouted, alarmed, shooting towards the stallion in the blink of an eye. "And who the hay are you supposed to be?!"

"Miss Dash, my name is Rolling Stone, and these are Blue Ice, Sound Wave and Ornate Charm. We are her Highness' specialized spectral investigative and containment team, and we are here to help."

At this statement, Sam heard a gasp.

"You're the Ghost-Keteers?" She heard Twilight say. "I've heard about you and your team from the princess… but I never thought I'd meet any of you,"

"That's because we aren't supposed to be publicly known. The only reason we're even here, breaking our standing order to secrecy is because of the immediate danger these fillies could be in." Rolling Stone explained. "That also included you, miss Flower."

"B-but you have been here for days… weeks, almost." A voice Sam concluded belonged to this Bellflower sputtered.

"Weeks?" Rainbow Dash repeated, puzzled. "There hasn't been any ghost around here for that long."

"That you know of," Rolling Stone countered.

"Why are you all looking at me?" Sam heard Danny, sounding very nervous.

"Had the situation been any different, none of you would have know about our mission here—" she heard the stallion reply with a grunt "— with the exception of Miss Twilight, who the Princess has informed herself not too long ago.But we're here because of you."

"Me?" Danny said.

"Yes. Ever since you came to Equestria, strange things have happened. Starting with your shadow, mere moments after you entered the scanner."

"Shadow?" Rainbow Dash spoke up with noticeable confusion.

Sam heard a startled gasp, recognizing it as Twilight. "This is about that ghost that damaged the scanner, isn't it?"

"Okay!" Rainbow spoke up, loudly. "What the hay is this all about?"

As Twilight gave her explanation, Sam risked moving closer just a bit further. Though her apprehension towards the ghost hunters and their detection gear soon stopped her in her tracks; not wanting to risk everything just to hear things a bit better.

"Which is where you come in," she heard Rolling Stone explain, his voice now just a bit louder. But not by much. "It was your shadow which was possessed."

For a moment, it was deathly quiet. Not even the forest itself generated any sound, and tension rapidly grew to impossible to contain heights.

"WHAT!!??" A cacophony of voices cried out, and Sam jerked away, almost grunting in surprise over the sudden increase of volume.

"S-so what if? The guards there destroyed it," she heard Danny stutter with convincing nervousness.

"If that's true, then why don't you have a shadow?" A new voice spoke up, and Sam could only surmise it belonged to one of the hunters.

"I, ehhm…" She heard Danny faltered, followed moments later by a loud scream from Fluttershy.

This time Sam did grunt as she jerked her head away, though the overly present vocalisation of Fluttershy's feelings towards this particular revelation did help to mask any sounds Sam had made.

"Shit." Danny cursed, and Sam silently agreed wholeheartedly as she rubbed one of her ringing ears.

"Ornate?" Rolling Stone said gruffly.

A few seconds ticked by, slowly. Then Ornate spoke up: "He's clean. Well, clean as far as he can be, considering."

"You sure?"

"Positive. I'm not detecting any spectral energy on him," Ornate replied, only to suddenly fall silent.

"Wait, nothing?" Yet another unknown voice spoke up, which had to be the last member of this team.

"His shadow is missing, and has been confirmed to be possessed before. There is no way he's clean."

'Why do these guys always seem to find their brain at the worst possible moments?' Sam wondered, frowning deeply.

"Are you positive the scanner is working?" Rolling Stone asked.

"Absolutely. The last calibrations should've eliminated all interference."

"Any chance you decreased its sensitivity to the point it can't detect anything anymore?" Sound Wave asked.

"Of course not. I'm not some kind of amateur."

'That is debatable. I have a good idea who helped train you,' Sam smirked just a bit.

"Then why doesn't the scanner pick up any signature?"

'...Which would also include Maddie… Shit.' She realized shortly after. Realizing now she'd waited too long, Sam spurred into motion.

"Contact!" The ghost hunter called out in alarm as she aimed her loudly beeping scanner towards the open door. Sam, having hoped for this, increased the vibrant glow of her eyes as she flashed by; glaring inside at the group, and more specifically, towards Danny in that split second she allowed herself to be seen. Though she did stay as far away in the shadows as she could to mask her features to those inside.

"What the-" She heard Danny's voice, which was soon washed away by the shouts and shrieks of numerous mares, and one stallion. Applejack's brother, if she remembered correctly. 'Huh, almost forgot that guy was there too. He sure is quiet for such a large guy.'

Long to dwell on that particular matter she didn't have, as with a loud, authoritative bark, Rolling Stone ordered his team after her.

'Good, let's see just how lost you four can get in here,' Sam thought, allowing the four ponies to catch up with her, while still keeping enough of a distance between her and them to keep them from doing anything other than pursue her.

'Now, what do I do next?' She wondered, realizing she hadn't thought this far ahead.

'..... Crap.'

<<>><<>><<>>

As the hunters left to chase after the supposed ghost, they left behind the group of ponies and Danny. The latter, still trying to get a read on what exactly had happened, partially filtered out the ensuing conversation which arose upon this new development, and he quietly tried to signal for Zecora. However, it would seem the remarkable insightful zebra was already a step ahead of him, as she stood near the open door, beckoning him with the faintest of nods. However, before Danny had even the chance to set one step towards her, the heated conversation between the rest of the group focused back on him.

"And Danny. Don't forget about Danny!" Pinkie Pie's voice snapped Danny back to them, and he froze where he stood.

"Yeaaah. Speaking of which," Rainbow said, slowly turning to the lone human; soon followed by her friends. "Let's not forget about him."

"Eehhh," Danny stuttered as all ponies present looked at him in fright, with Fluttershy peeking at him from underneath Zecora's cauldron, which she now hid in much like a tortoise would in its shell.

Though, despite their apparent fear, there was also worry and concern, and after only a moment's pause, Applejack approached.

"Are ya alright, Danny?"

"I-... I'll let you know when I figure that out myself," Danny answered with slightly lowered voice, frowning deeply as he looked at his feet.

"Danny?" Twilight hesitantly stepped forwards. "Do you feel anything? Different, I mean."

"Honestly," Danny spoke with hesitance and reluctance. "Right now, all I feel is the need to go to bed and start an early hibernation to wait for all of this to blow over." He then sighed out explosively. "Though, knowing my luck, it'd be morning before I can even attempt going to bed."

"... Yer taking this surprisingly well," Applejack remarked, looking at him quizzically.

"Well, worse things have happened to me than just my shadow missing," Danny answered honestly. "In fact, it seems like it only happened earlier today when we came up against this powerful, shadow type ghost who abducted an entire empire, citizens and all, over a thousand years ago."

"Pfff, silly. That was today," Pinkie Pie chirped.

"Ah, so that's why," Danny half joked.

"Ehh… what's a shadow type ghost?" Bellflower asked, reluctantly, while Zecora arched a single eyebrow, glancing at Danny.

Looking at one another, the ponies tried to figure out how to quickly explain the situation.

"It's a ghost made of shadows," Danny answered quickly, not feeling like any extended explanation. Which was also why he held up a hand to silence Bellfower before she could ask any further. "It's a long story, and I don't think we have the time."

"Hold on," Twilight gasped, eyes slowly widening as a realization came to mind. "Sombra was a shadow type ghost, and now your shadow is missing… What if the two are connected?"

"Like, how?" Rainbow Dash asked. "Sombra stole his shadow?"

"Well, Danny was separated from us for quite some time," Rarity spoke up.

"True. But Ah'm sure that if somethang happened ta him, Danny would've told us," Applejack voiced her thoughts.

Getting caught in yet another debate of what ifs, Danny found his chance to 'slip' away while the rest kept themselves preoccupied with possibilities of influence regarding Sombra and himself. And though Danny did pay it half a mind of attention, he also quickly dismissed their claims, knowing from closely guarded experience just what happened, and just how wrong they were. However, despite most of the group being caught up in either shock, disbelief, suspicion, confusion, or an unhealthy combination of them all, one quiet mare took notice of Danny's silent retreat.

"Ehmm, girls," Fluttershy timidly tried to speak up as Danny quickly slipped out of the door alongside Zecora.

Quickly moving out of hearing distance, Danny looked down at Zecora, a troubled frown creasing his forehead.

"It doesn't take an expert to read that frown. You are aware of what has gone down," Zecora spoke up before Danny could.

Sighing in a deep breath, Danny held it for several seconds, then slowly exhaled; eyes closed as he went through everything that had happened from the moment he'd first woken up today.

"Only partially," he answered. "Enough to know there is more going on than either one of us know… And to know who wrecked your home," he said with another sigh.

"You know this beast, this hound? This creature which won't lay still within the ground."

"Yeah... " Danny admitted. "His name's Cujo, and he can be... enthusiastic, to say the least. Especially if he's angered, or played with."

"I'm sure I didn't anger him, and invoked his wrath. But neither did I follow a playful path."

"Did you wave around with a stick or something to chase him away?" Danny asked, and Zecora fell silent, her mouth standing open ever so slightly.

"... Well, that answers that."

"I see. The fault was not his, but me."

"Don't blame yourself," Danny told her. "It happened to me, too. Though, because of that, Cujo seems to have bonded with me… But what I don't understand is how he got here. Or that ghost just now. Nor do I know why my ghost sense didn't respond to it, which makes me wonder if it even was a ghost to begin with. And then there is the mess going on with Sweetie Belle right now," Danny groaned as he wildly moved his hands through his hair.

"The way you speak, the anger and fright. You know where they are this troubling night."

"Unfortunately I do, and I honestly don't understand how or why, but at least they're safe… I think," Danny groaned. "... Say, Zecora. What can you tell me about changelin-" Danny suddenly fell quiet, mouth hanging open mid word, his eyes widening in shock.

"GHAA!" Danny yelled as he clutched his chest, dropping to his knees before the startled zebra. Then, a wavering aura surrounded his body, and he vanished in a flash.

Moments later, Twilight came rushing out of Zecora's hut, followed moments later by her friends.

"Zecora, what happened?!" Twilight asked, urgently. Zecora, however, could only stare in shock at where Danny just stood, unable to answer the question she asked herself.

"Zecora," Twilight tried again with rising panic. "Where's Danny?!"

Zecora didn't answer.

<<>><<>><<>>

"WIND CHILL!" Sweetie Belle cried out as she finally found her way back to the surface, again. The distress in her voice palpable, and the frost giant immediately turned to face her.

"Young spirit, what happened? Is everything alright?"

"No," Sweetie Belle hastily replied. "Something happened with Danny. Fenris attacked him, an-"

"WHAT!" Wind Chill bellowed, his roaring voice echoing over the frozen plains, and several of the windigoes neighed in fright. "And the Great One even dared standing up for this wretched beast. And this is how he was repaid?... What did he do?!" Wind Chill implored urgently.

"I don't know!" Sweetie Belle cried out. "One-moment, Fenris-attacks-Danny, then-Eclipse-jumped-in-between, then-I-fired-at-Fenris, only-for-Eclipse-to-explode-and-swallow-them-both, or-something," she rushed out in a single breath.

"What?" Wind Chill uttered, flummoxed.

"Just… come with me! NOW!" Sweetie Belle shouted.

Jaw set, Wind Chill looked down at the young pony with grim determination. Slowly shifting his gaze to the now mostly grounded herd of Saldēti Zirgi. Confident they were reasonably calm, enough to not cause any trouble at the moment, he looked back at Sweetie Belle, nodding once.

"Lead the way, spirit," he answered, clenching a fist. "If the Great One requires my help, there is no time to waste."

Nodding, Sweetie Belle turned around and flew back through the tunnel, Wind Chill following closely.

"Just so you know," Sweetie Belle called back over her shoulder. "These tunnels do get a bit narrow further down."

"Worry not," Wind Chill rumbled. "I'll find a way to fit."

Though hesitant, Sweetie Belle didn't reply, and quickly resumed her path, picking up a bit more speed; biting her lower lip, hoping he was right.

<<>><<>><<>>

"Let's not speak of this again," Wind Chill said, embarrassed after Sweetie Belle was forced to help him squeeze through several of the narrower passages… five times.

But now, after much embarrassment on the giant's behalf, the two entered the changelings' city.

"This way," Sweetie Belle said hurriedly. "The castle is this way."

With only a gruff grunt in confirmation, Wind Chill once again followed after the filly who, after going back and forth so many times, by now knew the quickest route.

"By Frostbite's claw, what happened here?!" Wind Chill remarked as he approached the destroyed gate leading into the castle.

"I blew it up when I couldn't get through," Sweetie Belle answered as she and Wind Chill rushed past the obliterated gate.

"You blew it up?" Wind Chill repeated, surprised as he eyes the damage. "Young spirit, do tell. Just how much power did you use to accomplish that level of destruction?"

"I don't know?!" Sweetie Belle answered as she led him through one of of the many identical hallways. "I haven't had a clue what's been going on ever since we've gotten here."

"I see," Wind Chill murmured.

"This way," the filly instructed as she rounded another corner.

"You seem quite knowledgeable about the route we must take. All these halls seem the same to me."

"Me too, that's why I left markings on the walls," Sweetie Belle replied, and now Wind Chill took notice of several scorch marks which could've only been made by a spectral discharge.

Nodding in understanding, and appreciating the filly's foresight, Wind Chill spoke no further as he was led to the throne room.

Bursting inside the moment they arrived, numerous gasps immediately answered his arrival as most of the changelings looked at the massive beast rushing inside. Wind Chill, however, paid them no heed as he quickly scanned the room and found the source of Sweetie Belle's distress.

A large swirling vortex of darkness, stretching from floor to ceiling, with the occasional flash of orange within.

"The Great One is in there?!" Wind Chill asked, shocked.

"Yeah," Sweetie Belle squeaked, eyes wide. "I- It's grown bigger, too."

"Ancestors," Wind Chill murmured as he slowly approached the vortex.

"What's going on?" Scootaloo asked almost immediately after Wind Chill stood less than a step away from the swirling darkness.

"Can ya help Danny?" Apple Bloom asked not a second later.

"I do not know," Wind Chill said slowly, answering both as he carefully studied the vortex.

"Why are there so many disgusting emotions coming out of this… thing?" Erlea demanded to know as she stomped towards Wind Chill.

"Emotions?" Scootaloo said, confused.

"What are ya talkin' 'bout?" Apple Bloom asked.

Not even looking at the two, Erlea instead glared up at the giant.

"Yes, emotions!" She stated. "Anger, hate, fear, guilt, shame, and numerous others. Explain, now!"

Wind Chill blinked as he looked down at the enraged filly, then slowly shifted his gaze back to the vortex. Then, with slowly widening eyes, he sucked in a deep breath, backing away a full step.

"It can't be," he spoke, more to himself than the fillies.

"What can't be?" Sweetie Belle asked, worried.

"Young spirit, you said Fenris attacked Danny, but that Eclipse stepped in between, correct?"

"Yes, bu-" Sweetie Belle answered, but was interrupted immediately.

"Tell me. Is there any connection between Eclipse and Fenris? Anything at all?" Wind Chill asked urgently.

Apple Bloom, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle looked at one another, then back at Wind Chill.

"Well, yeah," answered Apple Bloom.

"Eclipse said Fenris was her first host, or something," Scootaloo told him.

Wind Chill released a shocked gasp over this revelation, and he stared at the wild vortex with fearful eyes.

"Wind Chill?" Sweetie Belle hesitantly spoke up, stepping closer to the frost giant and placing a hoof on his leg.

"I- I'm afraid I can't do anything to help," Wind Chill answered with slight stutter. "Danny and Fenris, they're trapped in each other's negativity. Nothing I can do can separate them."

"Then what can we do?" Asked Sweetie Belle.

"Nothing," Wind Chill answered, dismayed.

"But there has to be something!?" Scootaloo shot back, not accepting this. "Maybe the Elder can help? Or someone else?"

"Maybe?" Wind Chill replied. "But that would also mean they need to come here. Because, as they are, neither Danny nor Fenris are able to leave. Not like this."

"And wha' 'bout Eclipse?" Apple Bloom asked. "She's in there, too."

"Maybe she can help. Do something to stop this?"

"No," Wind Chill shook his head. "If what you told me is true, then she's the catalyst of this disaster. Locking in, and locked in between these two clashing minds. If only we could reach out to Danny, pull his mind free from this grasp of darkness."

Erlea, less than thrilled with what was happening, and even more irritated over the prospect of bringing yet another… thing into the Hive, still couldn't help but look at Wind Chill with confusion.

'Reaching out to him?' she repeated in thought, recalling the familiar, yet alien sensation she felt emanating from Danny a while back.

"Reach out, how?" Sweetie Belle asked. "Go in there?"

Frowning deeply, Erlea prodded her reserves of emotional energy; biting her lip in thought. 'Maybe?'

"NO, you must not!" Wind Chill bellowed. "You will only lose yourself in there along with them."

"Maybe we can throw a rope in there?" Scootaloo suggested.

"Ah don' think tha will work either," Apple Bloom responded. A single nod from Wind Chill confirmed what she said.

"Dang," Scootaloo muttered. Then she looked up in surprise, as well as most others there when they noticed Erlea slowly approach the ominous vortex.

"CHILD, STAY BACK!" Wind Chill shouted. Erlea, however, had already stopped a full body's length away. Which, with how small she still was, wasn't all that far away.

""Erlea?"" Both Abella and Devora called out to their friend, worried for her safety. "What are you doing?" Devora asked.

"Whatever I have to to protect the Hive," she declared, and lit up her horn.

""WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?" Abella and Devora both yelled, eyes wide as they recognized the magic Erlea was using.

"Reaching out," she answered, eyes shut in concentration, and a faint beam of her emotive energy flowed into the vortex.

THUMB THUMB

Erlea reared back with a gasping yell, while all the conscious changelings took a startled step back; all eyes on the vortex as, with a flicker of orange, the vortex diminished; growing smaller and smaller until a figure could be seen at the center of it all, dropping down to the ground.

"Danny?" Sweetie Belle squeaked, frightened but hopeful.

The figure slowly stood up, revealing the massive frame of Fenris, and only Fenris.

"No," Wind Chill gasped. "It can't be." Yet as he continued to stare at the massive wolf, it became abundantly clear no one else but Fenris had emerged from within.

"Where's Danny?" Scootaloo asked with small voice.

Slowly, the wolf turned to face them; eyes closed.

"I- I- I fear he was lost to the darkness of Fenris," Wind Chill choked out, unable to belief, nor willing to accept what he was seeing.

Then Fenris slowly opened his eyes, and all present gasped out.

They were blue.

Mortal blue.

They were Danny's.