• Published 25th Mar 2014
  • 4,762 Views, 354 Comments

Silver Spirit, Ghost of Equestria. - Powerdrainer



In their quest to earn their Cutie Marks, and maybe find an answer for the strange events that have occurred, Sweetie Belle, Apple Bloom, and Scootaloo soon learn they've taken on more than they can handle. Question is, can they keep this a secret?

  • ...
8
 354
 4,762

Be Careful What You Wish For

This chapter is edited by Slayerseba, Clayton the Hunter, Halusm, and Clawder.

Be Careful What You Wish For.

<<>><<>><<>>

"Wooow," Scootaloo awed as she stepped inside of the massive chamber; watching in amazement at a massive pendulum as it swung slowly from side to side, the sound of her hooves clopping on the ancient stone oddly muted. "What is this place?" She asked, slowly shifting her gaze, seeing the many arched doorways leading to places unknown.

"This is the Hall of Time," Clockwork answered. "Here, I, and my associates work together to safeguard, and maintain time."

"There are others?" Scootaloo asked excitedly.

"Yes," Clockwork answered vaguely. "But they are currently occupied and cannot be disturbed."

"Oh, okay," Scootaloo answered dejectedly, but only for a moment as she perked up mere seconds later as she focused on her goal. "So, how do I, eh, we travel back in time?" She asked, almost demandingly.

"Right this way," Clockwork replied and smoothly glided away, leading Scootaloo through one of the many arched doorways, and into a room with a large swirling green vortex in its center.

"What's that!?" Scootaloo yelped with excitement, the green glow glinting in her eyes.

"This—" Clockwork said as he slowly circled around the vortex "—is a viewing portal. It allows me to see anywhere in time. The past, present, or future. It even allows me to see things that could have been. And, if used correctly, it also allows one passage into the moment of time shown in the vortex."

"That is soooo awesome," Scootaloo awed, eyes wide with excitement.

Clockwork chuckled, "It is, isn't it?"

"How does it work?"

"Allow me to show you," Clockwork replied and brought up his staff.

A pulse of energy came from the rod, and the vortex shuddered as if struck. Wilder and wilder it moved, but only around the edges as the center seemed to slow down; smoothing out. Then an image appeared, and Scootaloo gasped out as she found herself watching herself. Her younger, four year old self.

"Th- That's me," she uttered, dumbfounded.

"So it is," Clockwork confirmed.

"This is just too weird," Scootaloo murmured, prodding at the edges of the viewing portal with a hoof; passing cleanly through it.

"It can be confusing, seeing your own past in such a way," Clockwork said reassuringly, slowly moving towards Scootaloo. "But, just seeing it is not what you want, isn't it?"

"I, uhh-" Scootaloo shook her head as she tore her gaze away from her past self. "No," she confirmed. "You said you could send me back there—" she pointed with a hoof "—so I could stop my parents from going away."

"I did say I could send you back, yes," Clockwork nodded. "And I'm not one to lie," he added with a half lie. "Please, wait here for a moment," he told her, and flew off somewhere.

As indicated, only a moment passed before he returned, carrying with him a strange looking medallion.

"Here, you must wear this," he instructed as he gave the medallion to the orange filly.

"What's it for?" Scootaloo asked, puzzled.

"It will allow you to move through time without being rejected," Clockwork explained.

"What does that mean?"

"Without this medallion, you cannot travel back to the time you wish to visit. Although there are several ways one might go back, time always finds out and returns those out of place back to where they originate from. As long as you wear this, time does not notice you and you are able to move freely. Remove the medallion and you will find yourself back where you started."

"So… Don't take it off then?" Scootaloo sought clarification, unable to fully wrap her mind around Clockwork's explanation.

"Yes," Clockwork answered somewhat flatly, and Scootaloo slipped the medallion around her neck.

"So, now what?" She asked, excitement noticeable.

"Now, we step through," Clockwork told her, and vanished in the maelstrom of the viewing portal.

Scootaloo, eyes wide, swallowed loudly. Then, with a leap of faith, she followed after the helpful ghost.
ether to safeguard, and maintain time."

"There are others?" Scootaloo asked excitedly.

"Yes," Clockwork answered vaguely. "But they are currently occupied and cannot be disturbed."

"Oh, okay," Scootaloo answered dejectedly, but only for a moment as she perked up mere seconds later as she focused on her goal, "So, how do I...err, we travel back in time?" She asked almost demandingly.

"Right this way," Clockwork replied and smoothly glided away, leading Scootaloo through one of the many arched doorways, and into a room with a large swirling green vortex in its center.

"What's that!?" Scootaloo yelped with excitement, the green glow glinting in her eyes.

"This—" Clockwork said as he slowly circled around the vortex "—is a viewing portal. It allows me to see anywhere in time. The past, present, or future. It even allows me to see things that could have been. And, if used correctly, it also allows one passage into the moment of time shown in the vortex."

"That is soooo awesome," Scootaloo awed, eyes wide with excitement.

Clockwork chuckled, "It is, isn't it?"

"How does it work?"

"Allow me to show you," Clockwork replied and brought up his staff.

A pulse of energy came from the rod and the vortex shuddered as if struck. Wilder and wilder it moved, but only around the edges as the center seemed to slow down; smoothing out. Then an image appeared and Scootaloo gasped out as she found herself watching herself. Her younger, four year old self.

"Th- That's me," she uttered, dumbfounded.

"So it is," Clockwork confirmed.

"This is just too weird," Scootaloo murmured, prodding at the edges of the viewing portal with a hoof; passing cleanly through it.

"It can be confusing, seeing your own past in such a way," Clockwork said reassuringly, slowly moving towards Scootaloo, "But, just seeing it is not what you want, is it?"

"I, uhh-" Scootaloo shook her head as she tore her gaze away from her past self, "No," she confirmed, "You said you could send me back there—" she pointed with a hoof "—so I could stop my parents from going away."

"I did say I could send you back, yes," Clockwork nodded, "And I'm not one to lie," he added with a half lie, "Please, wait here for a moment," he told her and flew off somewhere.

As indicated, only a moment passed before he returned, carrying with him a strange looking medallion.

"Here, you must wear this," he instructed as he gave the medallion to the orange filly.

"What's it for?" Scootaloo asked, puzzled.

"It will allow you to move through time without being rejected." Clockwork explained.

"What does that mean?"

"Without this medallion, you cannot travel back to the time you wish to visit. Although there are several ways one might go back, time always finds out and returns those out of place back to where they originate from. As long as you wear this, time does not notice you and you are able to move freely. Remove the medallion and you will find yourself back where you started."

"So… Don't take it off then?" Scootaloo sought clarification, unable to fully wrap her mind around Clockwork's explanation.

"Yes," Clockwork answered somewhat flatly and Scootaloo slipped the medallion around her neck.

"So, now what?" She asked, excitement noticeable.

"Now, we step through," Clockwork told her and vanished in the maelstrom of the viewing portal.

Scootaloo, eyes wide, swallowed loudly. Then, with a leap of faith, she followed after the helpful ghost.

<<>><<>><<>>

It was a warm and sunny day, with scarcely a cloud to stain the clear blue sky. This was mainly because most clouds could be found beneath Scootaloo and Clockwork; the two of them standing, (or hovering in Clockwork's case,) at the edge of Cloudsdale, home of the pegasi.

The two of them remained where they were for several minutes as Scootaloo looked around in confusion.

"I thought we were going back in time? This doesn't seem any different from what I remember last time I was in Cloudsdale."

"Well, we did only go back a few years in your young life. Not enough time had passed between then and now for any significant changes to occur," Clockwork explained, his voice much younger as he had regressed back to his juvenile self.

"Oh, I guess that makes sense… What you just said," she added after a moment. "Not that changing thing you're doing. That's just weird," Scootaloo murmured, scratching her head as she watched the bustling city before her, seeing multiple pegasi fly over them, yet unresponsive to the ghost hovering next to her.

"How come they aren't reacting to you?"

"I'm invisible to them," Clockwork explained.

Scootaloo blinked, confused. "But I can see you," she pointed out.

"So you can," Clockwork replied vaguely.

"Ehh…" Scootaloo uttered, trying to figure this thing out.

"It's the medallion," Clockwork told her. "It is connected to my staff in ways too complicated to explain in just a few words. But, simply put, while I am invisible to any and all, as long as you wear this medallion, you are able to see me. This, however, does not mean they can't hear me. And you are still very much visible to others. And seeing a pony talking to what seems to be nothing but empty space does draw attention to you," he pointed out, nodding towards a couple of teenage colts standing on a low hanging cloud near them; pointing towards Scootaloo and making various gestures while laughing.

"Oh, right," Scootaloo murmured, trying to hide away.

"Pay them no mind, child. Let's just go and find your parents."

"My parents!" Scootaloo perked up, eyes wide. "They're here?!"

"Why wouldn't they? This is your past. Things that you know have happened, haven't yet had the chance to transpire."

Scootaloo's eyes widened significantly, and she quickly jerked her head around to scan her surroundings.

"But… where are they?"

Clockwork couldn't suppress his eyeroll, slightly shaking his head as he turned into an elderly man.

"Home, most likely," Clockwork answered logically. "Taking care of their daughter."

"Oh, right," Scootaloo piped up with enthusiasm, which died quickly as she found herself lost once again. "Eeehhh… which is where, exactly?"

Clockwork cocked an eyebrow, but had anticipated this question. So, without much delay, he turned towards a place to their right, slowly gliding away.

"Follow me," he told her. "And stay close. Out here, where there are little to no ponies it's easy for us to talk openly. When we enter more crowded places, we do need to keep our voices down, or be silent all together. Oh," —he stopped in mid-air— "and one more thing. And this is important. Don't interact with anyone you shouldn't. Don't even bump into anyone. The slightest change to a seemingly unimportant event could change everything. Both for the good, or the worse," his voice held the unmistakable tone of authority and warning. A voice of absolute seriousness which made Scootaloo instinctively nod in response as she looked up at Clockwork with large eyes.

"Good. Now, let's go."

<<>><<>><<>>

Clockwork, now an adult again, and Scootaloo were hiding within the relative emptiness of an alley as they observed the cloud apartments, while numerous pegasi who chose not to fly, walked past the two of them without really noticing them.

"Is this… it?" Scootaloo asked, voice slightly lowered.

"It would appear so, yes," Clockwork replied, the two looking up and down the tall structure made of nothing, but clouds, yet looking as solid, and firm as the ground below. Made with decorative columns which seemed to find their inspiration from ancient Greek civilisation, and more modern day designs typical to pegasus engineering.

The numerous apartments that were stacked on top of each other, although similar in appearance to the ground bound ponies' designs, were more flexible. There were large open areas for the pegasi to fly through while at the same time not compromising the overall structural integrity, whereas other portions showed dense cloud formations, on which they had placed large amounts of dirt in order to grow their own small park for the residents to sit and relax, and for foals to play.

"I know of this place," Scootaloo spoke up. "It's the Nimbostratus complex. Most of the ponies here work at the cloud factory."

"So, did your parents?" Clockwork asked, looking down at her.

"I think," Scootaloo murmured, kicking the cloud she stood on, dislodging a small puff of fluff. "I mean, they said mom worked at the thunder lab."

"And your father?" Clockwork asked.

"... I'm not sure," Scootaloo admitted, looking down.

"Then how about we find out?" Clockwork suggested, "Can you fly?"

Shamefaced, Scootaloo looked down and shook her head.

"I see," Clockwork hummed, then held out a hand, "Hold on to me," he told her.

Scootaloo looked at the offered hand with confusion for several long seconds, then realization kicked in and she firmly placed her left hoof in Clockwork's hand, who held it tightly.

"Now, to make sure we aren't seen," he said and allowed his invisibility to spread out, and fade the filly from sight.

Now both invisible, Clockwork flew up, pulling Scootaloo with him. Unseen by any of the pegasi, the two of them moved for the apartments, following the structure up to the tenth floor, where Clockwork brought the both of them to a gradual stop near the park build within the clouds.

"Ah, there we are," Clockwork mused as he observed the foals playing with a ball on, or flying slightly above the lush green grass. While a bit further back, several adults, lying within the shade of some small trees, watched their children play.

"Are they here?" Scootaloo asked with barely contained excitement and eagerness; head jerking around from left to right as she searched for her parents.

"One would think so," Clockwork replied. "Look there, near those bushes on the far right," he instructed and Scootaloo did as she was told. She released a short gasp the moment she saw who was there.

Sitting before the foliage, looking up with a wistful expression, sat Scootaloo. The young filly watched the flying foals with awe and excitement while her small wings flexed instinctively.

Scootaloo, the older, time traveling Scootaloo that is, looked at her younger self with amazement, smiling uncontrollably. However, her smile soon fell as she noticed something.

"Hold on, why is she, I mean I, eh, me… My younger self sitting all alone?"

Clockwork suppressed a slight chuckle over Scootaloo's expected confusion. "Maybe we will find the answer if we keep looking," he told her, then changed back into a child.

Not having any reply to that, Scootaloo remained silent as they continued watching. They didn't have to wait long, though. Merely a minute had passed when the ball the foals were playing with bounced its way over to Scootaloo.

Seeing this, the young filly perked up as she jumped to her hooves, wings buzzing like a hummingbird yet failing to generate any lift as she ran for the ball.

One of the older foals, a filly who seemed to be six or seven years old, snorted as she dropped down in front of the ball, kicking it away while showing a mocking grin over Scootaloo's attempt to fly.

Scootaloo came to a sudden stop mid-run, looking at the taller pony with sadness and hurt, ears drooping down as she slowly backed off.

"Only pegasi that can fly are allowed to play here," the older filly sneered, making Scootaloo flinch as if she was kicked in the gut.

"Excuse me!?" A angry mare cried out, and a teal pony came stomping in, wings flaring and eyes burning, "What was it you just said to my daughter!?" She demanded to know, her tone making it clear this was not really a question but more a chance to take back what had been said.

"Mom," the older Scootaloo whispered as she looked at her mother with wide, slightly teary eyes.

The filly the mother's anger was aimed at flinched back, ears folded flat as she looked up at the older pony.

"Well?!" The mare demanded, eyes narrowing.

The filly lowered her head and looked away as she muttered an intelligible answer.

Not pleased with such a half-hearted response, Scootaloo's mother gave the filly a piece of her mind. Yet before she could even start putting the child in its place, a new, angry voice cut her off and she turned towards the source of it: the filly's angry mother.

"Storm," Scootaloo's mother said with clear disdain.

"Blaze," Storm replied with biting venom. "You mind telling me what you're doing with my daughter?"

"What you clearly haven't. Teaching her some manners," Blaze snapped back.

"Excuse me?!" Storm seethed with a slightly shrill voice. "What gives you the right? You! Maybe you should focus on your own foal. Although, seeing just how good a job you did with her, maybe you shouldn't even be allowed to do that."

"And what exactly do you mean with that?"

"Ha, as if you don't know. That failure of a pegasus who can't even hover yet, let alone fl-" Storm said with mocking laugh, only to be silenced by a sudden punch to the muzzle, and a small stream of blood that followed as a direct result, as she dropped to the ground.

"No way," the older Scootaloo gasped as she saw her mother floor the horrible mare with a single punch.

"The protective nature of a parent can make you act in rather drastic ways," Clockwork told her as they kept watching.

The moment Storm hit the ground her daughter cried out as she rushed to her mother's side. At the same time, all sounds of cheerful laughter and conversation had vanished, replaced by dead silence as all ponies, children and adult were watching at Blaze with wide eyes and shock.

Blaze, however only exhaled loudly through her nose as she turned to regard the other ponies around her.

"Anypony else who thinks it is funny to make fun of my daughter?" She asked with no nonsense tone of voice. Silence was the answer. "Thought so," she snipped, then looked down at her daughter with a genuine smile. "Are you alright, sweetheart?"

Scootaloo nodded slowly, looking up at her mother with awe in her eyes.

"That's my filly. Now, let's go. We don't want to make aunty Bellflower wait for us now, do we?" This time Scootaloo shook her head, earning a chuckle of her mother as the two of them walked back to their home; watched by all other ponies, save for Storm, who was still out for the count.

"Aunty?" Future Scootaloo repeated, confused.

"You don't remember her being called as such?" Clockwork asked.

"No," Scootaloo shook her head. "Or my mom doing… that"

"And your father, what do you remember about him?" Clockwork queried.

"I- umm…"

"Hmmm," Clockwork hummed knowingly. "Then, perhaps we should find out."

Still invisible, the two quietly followed after Scootaloo's past self and mother; watching as the child climbed with juvenile clumsiness on her mother's back, then how Blaze flew up towards one of the open areas where she mixed with all the other pegasi who traversed the air, momentarily losing them in the sea of color. Clockwork, however, didn't seem too worried and went on his way almost as if he knew where they were going.

Scootaloo, still replaying in her mind what she had just seen, didn't notice their retreat. Instead, by the time she caught back up, she found Clockwork had brought them safely and undetected to one of the many apartments; Scootaloo's past self and mother gently landing on the cloud floor before their home's door. A door which swung open a moment later as a stallion carrying full saddlebags stepped out; a large smile growing on his face upon the sight of Blaze and her daughter.

"Scoot!" the Stallion called out in greeting, walking over to the mare and nuzzling her, "And Scootaloo," he shifted his attention to the filly on Scoot Blaze's back; the filly giggling happily as she grabbed her father by the muzzle, pressing her much smaller muzzle against his. The orange of her coat a near perfect match to her father's color.

"Daddy," she squealed, making both her parents laugh.

"Sky," Blaze said to the Stallion, rubbing her neck against his in affectionate greeting.

"So, how are my two favorite fillies doing?" He asked, grinning cheekily. Scoot Blaze gave him a firm but playful nudge in the side, grinning as well. A grin which turned sour as she recalled what had just happened back in the park.

"Summer Storm and her daughter showed up," she told him. "It went about as well as you would expect."

Sky frowned, worried and somewhat angry, "Anything I should know about?"

Blaze shrugged. "Nothing much. Oh, but I did knock Storm out."

Sky blinked, taken aback. "You did what?"

"I knocked her out," Scoot confirmed proudly.

Sky looked at his wife with wide eyes, then exhaled loudly while shaking his head, yet he couldn't suppress the faint grin he didn't really try to hide.

"You're something else, you know that."

"It's why you love me," she replied with a loving smirk.

"That, and that amazing flank of yours," he replied slyly.

"Sky, not in front of Scootaloo!" Blaze said in shock.

Sky laughed lightly, "It's not like she will remember, love," he chuckled some more as he saw his daughter's oblivious face.

Future Scootaloo, however, had to keep herself from gagging, knowing she wouldn't be able to forget this. Clockwork, on the other hand, sported a knowing grin, laughing in thought.

Shaking it off, Blaze gave her husband one more firm shove. "So, packed everything?"

"Just about," he replied as he opened one of the bags, showing the contents. "Brush, toothpaste, some other things that might be needed and, of course, Mister Zoomy," Sky said with some dramatic flair as he pulled out a plush Wonderbolt. "All a filly would need to sleep over at her honorary aunt while we take care of business in Baltimare," he told Scoot while their daughter reached out with wanting hooves towards Mister Zoomy.

"Wait, what!?" Scootaloo yelled, forcing Clockwork to slap a hand over her muzzle. Luckily, the sudden outburst seemed to have gone unnoticed by the parents.

"Do you still need anything?" Sky asked, partially closing the door.

"Nah, I'm good. After all, don't I have a stallion who goes after my every whim?"

"I don't know. Do you?" Sky replied with mock accusation, cocking an eyebrow. Scoot laughed lightheartedly as she nuzzled him on the cheek.

Closing the door, Sky and Scoot walked towards the edge of their level, taking a moment to look at the city.

Turning back to her daughter, Scoot told the filly on her back to hold on tightly. Then, made sure her daughter wouldn't fall off, she and Sky spread their wings and stepped off the edge.

As they calmly glided away, Scootaloo and Clockwork remained behind; Scootaloo looking questioningly at the shrinking forms of her parents.

"That… was not really what I was expecting," she murmured.

"How so?" Clockwork asked. "To me it seemed like two ponies who loved each other, and their daughter dearly. Your mother's actions surely made this all too clear."

"Yeah, I know. It's just…" she trailed off, falling silent.

"You weren't sure what to expect," Clockwork finished for her.

"Well, no," Scootaloo admitted begrudgingly, looking down at her hooves.

"Tell me, exactly what do you remember of your parents?" Clockwork asked.

Scootaloo fidgeted on the spot for a while, looking down and kicking the cloud every now and then. Then, after some time had passed, she begrudgingly admitted: "Not much. Just some small things, like my dad calling me Mayfly."

"Then I must ask. If you can't remember them all that... well, then why are you so determined to stop them?"

"Because they are my parents!" Scootaloo shot back, anger burning in her eyes. "And I'll do anything to get them back!"

"To get them back, you say," Clockwork repeated, humming to himself as his gaze shifted back to where the filly's parents had flown off. "Well, then. Then I believe we need to catch up with them," he told Scootaloo, who gave a single, resolute nod; stepping towards the edge of the cloud floor.

However, still holding on to Clockwork so he could share in his invisibility, she came to a sudden stop as Clockwork remained hovering where he was.

"Hey, what gives?" Scootaloo demanded, looking back at the ghost.

"I know a faster route," he replied, grinning faintly. "Just follow after me," he instructed, and after making sure nopony would be there to see, he used his cane to open a passage through time, not unlike the vortex the two had stepped through before, but smaller.

Shrugging, Scootaloo didn't think too much about it, and the two quickly entered the passage; closing it behind them just in time for the flock of pegasi to miss it as they flew past.

<<>><<>><<>>

Clockwork and Scootaloo exited the passage, and Scootaloo looked around excitedly for any sign for her parents. Much to her surprise, however, what she saw was the same place they had just left.

Puzzled, she looked up at Clockwork, seeing him look around with a strangely confident smirk.

"Hey, what happened?" She asked. "I thought we were going after my parents?"

"Oh, don't worry. We will. But we're making a small detour first. There is something you must see before any decision is made to change the past."

"What, why?" Scootaloo said heatedly, frowning. "What do I need to see?"

"You'll see," Clockwork replied vaguely, then frowned as he noticed he was still holding Scootaloo's hoof. "But it would be better for you to walk unhindered for this," and he let go of the filly.

"Huh, why?" Scootaloo asked, confused. However, before she could even think about getting an answer to her question, she became aware of something else entirely. "What the…" she gasped as she held up her hoof, seeing nothing but air. "Am I still invisible?"

"You are," Clockwork answered. "Through the same process that allows you to see me while wearing that medallion, I can also use it to channel my abilities to those who wear it. But this is taxing and it's easier for me to channel my energy directly through body contact. Now, however, you need to be able to move around without me holding you back," he explained, a subtle hint of strain present in his voice.

"But… why?" Scootaloo questioned, not understanding any of this. "Won't I be able to just walk around without being noticed as I am a pegasus like everypony else?"

"Normally, yes," Clockwork told her, then the door of Scootaloo's former home swung open, and the most unexpected of ponies walked out; Scootaloo herself, carrying a partially full saddlebag, "But now there are two of you. You, and the pony you could have been had life played out different for you," he explained, while Scootaloo looked at her exact mirror image with wide eyes, and mouth hanging open as her other self walked past, oblivious.

"Scootaloo," a starting to become familiar voice called out after the filly shortly after she'd walked outside, halting her in her tracks as she looked back, sighing exasperatedly.

"Mom," Scootaloo almost groaned.

Stepping outside, Scoot Blaze looked at her daughter with a kind, if not somewhat apologetic smile. "Do you need any help getting to school, dear?"

This time Scootaloo did groan, dragging a hoof down her face. "No, mom. I'm not four anymore. I got this."

"Are you sure? I mean, it wouldn't be any trouble, and-"

"Mom!" Scootaloo shouted, stopping her mother mid-sentence. "I said I got this."

"I know you do, but it really wouldn't be a bother to your father and I if you need our help," Scoot Blaze pressed on, smiling sadly.

Unable to help herself, scootaloo groaned in irritation, loudly while she stomped off to the edge of the floor, wings spreading.

"I. Said. I. Got. This!" She stated firmly, jumped off and glided away, losing altitude rapidly.

Scoot Blaze remained behind, ears folded flat and biting her lower lip as she slowly moved to where her daughter had stood just a moment ago; looking down at her filly with a saddened gaze as Scootaloo landed on the clouds below and continued walking; unable to fly on her own power.

"I know you got this," she said softly. "that isn't what worries me. What does, is who got you when you need it?"

"Mom," Scootaloo murmured sadly.

Ears perking up, Scoot Blaze looked around in surprise. "Hello, is anypony there?" She asked, receiving no answer, "Hello?" She tried again, looking around for anypony hiding. Not hearing anything else, and unable to find anyone near her, she shrugged and decided it probably was some pony flying nearby. The early morning commute of young colts and fillies, as well as numerous adults who took their young to school did make it a logical conclusion.

Not thinking about it any longer, she sighed out and slowly walked back inside; preparing for her own responsibilities as a working mare at the cloud factory.

Quietly following behind, Scootaloo and Clockwork entered the home; Scootaloo looking around in something akin to awe as she looked at everything that could have been, what she never had, and what she would have when they stopped her parents from going to that city.

"How did it go, honey?" Scootaloo's father asked as he stepped out of an adjacent room, towel draped over his neck and mane still damp.

Sighing sadly, Scoot Blaze shook her head. "Just as well as the last time," she replied. "She's… taking it hard."

"It doesn't surprise me," Sky answered, closing the distance between them and laying a wing on Scoot Blaze's back. "All other foals her age can already fly. It must be difficult for her being the only one in her class who can't."

"But why?" Scoot Blaze stated firmly, "There is no reason she shouldn't be able to fly. You know what the doctor said. Her wings are in perfect working order, developing properly as she grows. She has the strength, Celestia knows she does. Our daughter is the strongest filly I know. And I'm not just saying that because she is our daughter."

"I know, I know," Sky told her, gently rubbing her back with his wing. "And you shouldn't worry so much," he nuzzled her behind the ear. "She may not be able to fly now, but tomorrow is another day. And when she does take to the sky, she will outfly everypony in Cloudsdale."

"Heh, confident much?" Scoot Blaze chuckled, nuzzling her husband in return.

"Of course I am," he replied cheekily, grinning. "I know her mother."

"Oh, do you now?" Scoot Blaze chuckled.

"Sure. She's a bit rough around the edges—" she jabbed him in the side, making him laugh in sputter "—but one of the strongest, most capable fliers out there."

"Hmm," Scoot Blaze hummed as she crossed her neck with his. "And if she takes after her father as much as I think she does, then they are going to have their hooves full when she finally flies."

"See, no worries there," Sky said. "Just let her do her thing and we do ours. And somewhere in the middle we figure things out. Together."

Scoot laughed light heartedly, pulling away from him as she shook her head in amusement. "How do you always do that?"

"Do what?" he asked with fake innocence.

"That," she poked him in the chest. "Always managing to make me feel better when I'm down."

"Oh, that," he said with a hint of exaggeration, grinning coyly. "Simple. It's because you love me."

Scoot Blaze couldn't stop her eyes from rolling over his cheesy answer, yet her genuine smile betrayed her true feelings. Chuckling, she closed the distance and pressed her lips against his, sharing a brief but passionate kiss.

"I suppose I do," she answered hotly, eyes half lidded. "You know. I still have forty minutes before I have to clock in…"

"Oh, any ideas on how to fill that time?" Sky asked with suggestive undertone.

Giggling, Scoot Blaze wrapped her arms around his neck, gracing his lips with hers. "Oh, I think I can come up with some-" The rest of her sentence quickly faded away as Scootaloo and Clockwork rapidly left the building; phasing through the door while Scootaloo tried, and failed not to gag.

"Well, I do think we may have seen a bit more than we should have," Clockwork said to no one in particular, blushing himself, which fortunately only Scootaloo was able to see as they were still invisible to the world around them.

"Yuck!" Scootaloo gagged. "I can't ever unhear that," she grasped and pulled at her ears. "Why are adults always so sappy!?"

"That is an answer you will learn yourself soon enough," Clockwork answered readily, clearing his throat. "But more importantly, I think we should leave this place—" The voices of Scootaloo's parents could suddenly be heard through a partially open window, clearly enjoying themselves and each other "—Now!" And he quickly opened another doorway, hastily moving through, with Scootaloo following after him without delay.

<<>><<>><<>>

The two of them exited the portal; Scootaloo staring at some uninteresting part of cloud with unblinking gaze, Clockwork quickly closing the passage behind them as he morphed into his elderly form.

Clearing his throat, he joined Scootaloo, taking a moment to appreciate the shapeless forms of the clouds.

"So… maybe we should cont-"

"Ghaaaa!" Scootaloo gakked, grasping at her ears. "Why?"

"Yes… we may have overstayed our welcome there a bit," Clockwork answered, embarrassed. A feeling he hadn't felt in centuries.

"No, why!?" She said demandingly. "Why did you take me there!?"

"Ah, yes. Ahem… I took you to this timeline to see what could have been; to see what you don't have… and what you would never have should this be your reality," Clockwork explained after a short stammer.

"What I would never have?" Scootaloo repeated, confused, looking at the hovering ghost.

"Indeed," he answered most serious, pointing a finger down towards a distant group of ponies. "Observe."

Scootaloo looked at him with some level of doubt, the previous visit etched in her mind. Still, eventually she turned to look, only to gasp out quietly as she finally saw where they were and what they were looking at.

The two of them had exited the passage on a lone, high orbit cloud; mostly out of sight from any prying eyes, which allowed Clockwork to drop Scootaloo's invisibility and thus the strain to maintain her cloak. Scootaloo, however, didn't really take notice of this as she was too enraptured by what she was watching: Herself at flight school.

"So. Awesome!" She squealed, eyes wide.

"Is it?" Clockwork asked.

"Of course it is!" Scootaloo countered without delay. "I'm in flight school, learning how to be even more awesome—" her wings buzzed in excitement "—Heck, I- eh, she… my other self probably is already at the top of the class. Maybe even teaching the other ponies. Rainbow Dash certainly has to notice my awesomeness in this timeline thingy."

"Is that so?" Clockwork questioned, his voice betraying just how much he already knew.

"Of course it is!" Scootaloo shot back once more. "Just you see!"

Clockwork thought about calling her out, but thought better of it. Some lessons are better learned the hard way, disappointing and depressing as it may be.

Down below, at the cloud field the fillies and colts had all lined up in two rows; their instructor, a strict looking mare blew a whistle that hung from her neck and the first two in line jumped off the edge and took to the sky; flying through a course of hoops.

The whistle blew again, filling the air with its shrill call and the next two ponies flew up. The third and fourth followed soon after, with the rest not far behind.

Scanning the crowd, Scootaloo frowned when she finally spotted herself standing in the back of line.

"Why am I all the way in the back," she asked herself, puzzled. "... And why are the other ponies making fun of me… her?"

"You do remember what your parents said just a moment ago?" Clockwork asked, drawing her attention back to him.

"Yeah, but didn't we travel through time again?"

"No, child. We did not. This is the same day as when we were just a moment before," Clockwork told her, and Scootaloo's eyes widened in horror as her head snapped back to her other self, now standing at the edge of the clouds; the only one left standing.

"Bwahahahah," from the distance she heard a sleazy looking colt laugh, pointing a hoof at the filly who looked carefully over the edge while weakly flapping her wings, "Look at that loser. Still doesn't know how to fly."

His words caused several other ponies to snicker and laugh mockingly, pointing hooves at the filly who quickly shrunk into herself.

"Scootaloser! Scootaloser! Scootaloser! Scootaloser! Scootaloser!" the bullies started to chant, soon joined by more and more of the foals while tears brimmed in the corner of Scootaloo's eyes.

A loud and long shrill whistle shut them all up, and the burning glare of their flight instructor made them all drop several feet, yet the damage had already been done. Before anypony could stop her, Scootaloo turned tail, running away as fast as she could to hide away.

"Bu-" Scootaloo (the one observing the events) muttered dumbly, unable to process what she had just witnessed, "Why- Why is everyone so mean to me?"

"The awful truth of any child's nature. You either fit in, or you are being ridiculed for being different."

"But, that's horrible," Scootaloo said infuriated. "Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and I would never do such a thing."

"True. You three wouldn't. But you know others who would, don't you?"

Scootaloo was silent for several seconds, then her eyes narrowed. "Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon."

"Tell me, do they make fun of others for just being themselves?"

"All the time," Scootaloo answered with a stomp of her hoof.

"And how would you usually deal with them?"

"Simple," Scootaloo said. "We just beat them at their own game… Although, lately we also have been causing all kinds of spirit problems for them," she hummed, thinking back how Silver Spoon had run into the school's wall after seeing Sweetie Belle in her spirit form.

"And her, this timeline's Scootaloo. What about her? How do you think she would deal with them?"

"Easy. Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and I will come up with so-" she suddenly fell silent as a crushing realization sunk in. "... In this timeline," she began, choosing her words carefully. "Do I know Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle?"

"No, you do not," Clockwork answered without humor. "Why do you think that is?"

"I- Yo-... Bu-...."

"Where was it that you met? When did you meet? Why were you there? What happened for you to be there?" Clockwork asked, all questions striking Scootaloo like a wild lightning bolt. "And, more importantly, would you change meeting them? Would you give up someone so important to you to gain back another? Would you sacrifice all the memories you have for a blank sheet? Would you give up everything you know and love in your own time to live a new life without any one of them in this other possibility?"

"What!?" Scootaloo yelled, looking up at clockwork with large, angry, teary eyes. "NEVER!"

"Yet this is exactly what you asked of me to help you do."

"Nuh uh," Scootaloo shook her head defiantly.

"And yet you did," Clockwork countered calmly. "Tell me, and be honest. Not just to me, but to yourself as well. If your parents were still alive, would you have lived in Ponyville where you would have met your friends with whom you have experienced so much?"

Scootaloo didn't answer, but the glimmer in her eyes showed she understood exactly where Clockwork was going with this.

Clockwork sighed out, morphing into his juvenile form as he lowered himself to eye level. "Child, I'm not saying all of this to hurt you. But the truth of the matter is as simple as it is awful. You are here because your parents aren't. Everything you have done up to this point is the result of what happened back then," he said with caring tone, but Scootaloo still held a glare of defiance within her tear brimmed eyes and he knew they had to make one more stop; make her see, and make her choose an impossible choice.

"Come with me, Scootaloo," he said as he turned around, opening a passage through time. "It's time to finish this… but not end it."

Scootaloo remained behind, stubbornly refusing to budge as she glared daggers at the empty spot where Clockwork was just a moment ago, and at the swirling hole in reality through which he vanished.

She sat and waited, and waited, and waited. Until she couldn't take it anymore and jumped through the passage with a cry of anger.

<<>><<>><<>>

With a cry, Scootaloo made a hard landing on firm ground. It had taken her by surprise, expecting to find herself in Cloudsdale once more, yet she poorly hid her frustration over the sudden change of scenery as she looked around with a deep frown, spotting Clockwork hovering just a few steps away from where she had landed.

Not saying a word, she stomped over to his side; not allowing him even a glance as she stubbornly kept staring forwards.

"Why are we in Ponyville?" She asked with a strained, calm voice; recognizing the well traveled streets of her village.

"For you to make a choice," Clockwork told her, his voice heavy and full of remorse.

The sound of a door opening drew their attention, and Scootaloo finally noticed where she was, exactly. Standing in the shadow of an alley opposite of Bellflower's guest house; giving them a perfect view of the front door as four ponies came out. Scootaloo's mother, father, Bellflower, and Scootaloo's four year old self, riding on Bellflower's back.

"What is this?" Scootaloo asked, shocked; recognizing the scene deep down.

"Your chance to make a choice," Clockwork said with business like voice, void of all emotions. "Step out of the shadows and change the course of history. You will live the life you think you always wanted, but at the cost of everything you have now; or stay behind, watch as the door closes shut and your parents are moving away from you once again, but keep everything you have and care about. Choose, Scootaloo. Your parents, a life in Cloudsdale, and many unknowns; or your friends, your adventures, your memories, all precious moments that have shaped you into the pony you are today. Choose but do it quick. Time is running out."

Scootaloo looked at the group of ponies with horror, eyes shifting to her parents, Bellflower, her younger self, Clockwork, the general direction of Carousel Boutique and Sweet Apple Acres and back.

She knew what she wanted, had known it for as long as she could remember. A loving home, her parents to love and support her, friends to hang out and go on crazy adventures with. She knew what she wanted, but… did she really? Only now, with the possibilities laid out before her did her resolute conviction shatter. She didn't have her parents, nor their love and support, but she had her friends, and adventures wilder than she could have ever imagined. But she could have her parents and a loving home. But would she have friends?

Remembering what she had seen it seemed unlikely. What pegasus would want to befriend somepony who couldn't keep up. Down here, she was one of the quickest ponies around. Up there, she would only slow everypony down. No, she would have her parents, but no friends. No pony to play with, or go on adventures like those she has experienced with Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle.

But would that be so bad? She could have her mom and dad. Maybe she could convince them to move to Ponyville and then she could meet Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle all over again. Yes, it would be the best of both worlds, wouldn't it?

Then another realization kicked her in the gut. She wouldn't even know about Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle. There would be no reason for her to even suggest moving to Ponyville, or any other place for that matter. She would, most likely, never, ever meet the two greatest friends any pony could wish to have. She, they… they would never become the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

There would be no pony for her to go on adventures with. No pony to help her find her talent, and to help find theirs.

No pony to give her life meaning.

No pony to give meaning to her Cutie Mark.

No pony, but her parents.

Squeaking out a broken gasp, Scootaloo watched as her parents flew up, waved their goodbyes to Bellflower and their daughter and slowly shrunk away on the blue sky, on their way to Baltimare.

"I'm sorry," Clockwork said softly, only receiving a broken sob in answer as Scootaloo's legs went weak and she fell to her haunches.

Sensing the need for silence, Clockwork slowly moved away from the broken filly, watching her sob quietly, head hung low and tears falling to the ground.

After fifteen minutes, Scootaloo seemed to calm down a bit; taking deep, calming breaths.

"I won't say you made the right choice," Clockwork said carefully. "As there never was one to begin with. No matter what you chose, it would've come at a heavy price."

Scootaloo remained silent, unmoving.

Clockwork looked down at the filly, worry frowning his face as he struggled to find a balance between saying what needed to be said and not overstepping a delicate boundary.

"I used to be where you are now," he said, sighing out as he closed his eyes. "Forced to make choices with no good answer, losing pon-... those close to me as a result." Scootaloo didn't say or do anything, but a slight twitch of her ear showed she was listening.

"For a long time, a very long time I was angry. Angry with those who put me in that position, while denying my own involvement in those events. Then my anger turned to myself as I could no longer deny the choices I made. Then I tried to reason, to twist and turn the events in ways that would lessen my guilt; to shift the blame to others. Of course, this only allowed me a moment of peace, but the guilt and knowledge of my actions came back to drag me down," he sighed out, then placed a hand on Scootaloo's back.

"Eventually, though, I learned to accept my part in those events. Something you will be able to do as well, in time."

Several long seconds ticked by and it didn't seemed Scootaloo was going to reply or even move for that matter. But then, slowly, she sobbed out a sigh, kicking away some of the dirt she was sitting in.

"Will I really?" she asked, voice uncharacteristically soft and breaking around the edges.

"Eventually, yes," Clockwork answered. "But the pain will never go away. It will fade, becoming easier to live with, but there will always be that part, that empty spot no one is able to fill. And sometimes this hollow ache makes it impossible for us to see what is right in front of us the entire time; to see exactly what was given to us when something else was taken."

This time Scootaloo did look at Clockwork, slightly tilting her head until she could just see him with one eye; vision still partially obscured by her mane.

"What do you mean?" she croaked, her one visible eye red and puffy.

"Why don't I show you," he answered, and rose his cane; channeling energy into it.

The world around them sped up, ponies walking past in a blur as they went through their daily activities, only to retreat back home as night moved in, only to pass in seconds as day returned, only for the cycle to repeat twice more. Then, on the fourth day Clockwork allowed time to resume normally again; the moment he did, Scootaloo heard a heart torn cry of anguish, the voice easily recognizable as that of her younger self.

Shocked, she looked at Clockwork who offered his hand to her.

Unsure, she shakily placed a hoof in his hand; feeling his fingers close around her hoof as they both turned invisible.

Together they moved to the guest house, the sounds of crying growing louder and louder with every step Scootaloo took, and a heavy weight began to form in the pit of her stomach. Only the calm guiding of Clockwork made it possible for her to place one hoof after the other as she inched her way over to the last place she wanted to be right now.

Eventually, they made it and fear was radiating off Scootaloo; her body shivering.

"Don't worry," Clockwork reassured her. "You have been in denial for so long, that you fear what you already know deep down. But if you allow yourself to overcome this hurdle... to rise above it... you will see that, in a way, you always had what you wanted. It just wasn't the way you imagined it."

Confused and with her worries only worsened, Scootaloo swallowed thickly, then reared up and looked through the window inside Bellflower's own living quarters. What she saw made her gasp out.

Bellflower held Scootaloo in tight embrace, the both of them crying over the horrible loss they've suffered, even though Scootaloo was too young to understand, and Bellflower did her best to remain strong as she had tried to explain. She had failed, unable to cope with the knife through her heart, and both ponies cried in shared grief; finding comfort with each other.

"It's alright. It's alright," Bellflower said again and again, gently rubbing the filly's back. "I promise I will take care of you. I promise."

Scootaloo couldn't stop her tears from surfacing again as she watched through the window, wanting to push away and never look back, but found herself unable to do so as minutes ticked by; an incredible ache burning in her chest. A pain of grief, loss and guilt. Guilt towards the mare who had taken care of her as if she was her own daughter, yet who she had treated so poorly because she wasn't her real mother.

The mare who washed her, fed her, brought her to school, gave her a place to sleep and did so much more. A mare who wasn't her mother, but did everything in her power to fill that role; to give her all the love and care any pony would need. And she treated that mare with nothing but hate grown from misplaced anger.

This realization twisted Scootaloo's heart until she couldn't take it any more and forcefully pulled herself away; freeing her leg from Clockwork's grasp and running away with tears streaming from her eyes as she faded back into view; startling several ponies with her sudden appearance.

'Denial is always the first hurdle to overcome,' Clockwork thought as he watched Scootaloo run away, gradually moving after her. 'But you can't lose yourself to your anger either, child. Fortunately, I know just who can help you with that.'

<<>><<>><<>>

It took Clockwork the better part of an hour to follow after Scootaloo and allowing her the time to process everything she had seen and experienced these last several hours. Now though, he sensed the time was right, and he slowly lowered himself next to the filly who was sitting on the old, weather worn, and rotten deck of an old tree house found within the apple orchard.

"What do you want?" Scootaloo snapped bitterly, not looking up.

"To help," he answered simply, but truthfully.

"Yeah, some help you've been," Scootaloo sneered. "You said you would help me get my parents back, but instead you did… this."

"Actually, I promised to help you stop your parents. Which I did. But you chose not to go through with it."

Scootaloo hissed venomously.

Clockwork sighed out and did something he hadn't done in centuries; he allowed his tail to resolidify back into his legs and then sat down next to Scootaloo; his legs dangling off the deck.

"You're angry. I understand. Who wouldn't be after what you've seen and done. And I'm sorry for the part I played in this. But know I did this for a good reason." Scootaloo shot him a sideways glance, then glared angrily to the ground again.

"I'm an orphan, too," Clockwork revealed. "But unlike you, I never knew my parents. I was told they found me lying wrapped up in a blanket in front of the orphanage's door. Of course they didn't tell me this until I was old enough to understand… Didn't mean I did. I had questions, lots of them. Why, how, who? Yet they went unanswered for the longest of times, until I became what I am today. You see, I used my abilities to look back into my own past, to find out who my parents were, why they left me… You know what I learned?" He asked. Scootaloo shook her head after several tense seconds.

"I learned that, sometimes, it is better to be left wondering instead of learning the ugly truth." This time, Scootaloo looked at him fully, confused. "But, at the same time, I also found closure, as dissatisfactory as it might have been. No longer did that past had a hold over me, nor should it have a hold over you. As lost, scared, confused and angry as you feel now, you also know what your life is; who shaped it. And although you may not have everything you thought you desired, you gained so much more in return."

"Yeah, right," Scootaloo scoffed, looking down once again.

"You don't have to believe me," Clockwork hummed. "Just yourself."

The sound of wings flapping made Scootaloo's ears twitch, and a weight suddenly settled down next to her, making the old wood creak and groan as it settled.

Looking to her side, Scootaloo blinked in confusion as she stared at an familiarly colored orange leg. Following it up, she felt her mouth fall open as a pair of recognizable purple eyes looked down on her; partially obscured by a wild mess of spiky, purple mane, and a knowing grin to complement the tomboyish complexion of Scootaloo.

"Hey, Squirt," she laughed. "Some old geezer told me I needed some help."

Scootaloo could only look up in awed bewilderment at her older self, almost forgetting to breath as her mouth hung open.

"So, that's what that looks like," Scootaloo said, grinning.

"But you- I- he- whu?!?"

"Try closing your mouth first," Scootaloo suggested to her younger self. "It makes talking a bit easier."

Snapping her mouth shut and shaking her head to speed up the reboot of her brain, Scootaloo was finally able to properly pronounce the one question more prominent on her mind than anything else: "WHAT THE HAY IS GOING ON!?"

"Well, what does it look like?" Scootaloo asked in turn, shrugging.

Stunned into silence, Scootaloo slowly blinked, then turned to look at the ghost still sitting on her other side; now turned into an elderly human.

"That's right," Scootaloo laughed. "That's the old geezer who brought me here."

"You do know this old geezer can hear you loud and clear?"

"Of course, that's why I'm not calling you an old fart, like I usually do," Scootaloo replied nonchalantly, brushing her hoof against her chest and seeing her smug grin in the reflection.

"Funny," Clockwork deadpanned. "You certainly grew up to be…"

"One hundred and twenty percent of pure awesomeness," Scootaloo finished for him.

"I was going to say something more along the lines of you being confident to a fault, but, sure. That works too."

Still taken aback, Scootaloo shifted her attention back to her older self. "Bu- you… Why are you… I, I mean you… Ghaaa—" she clutched her head from the sudden headache she got "—Why are you here?" she asked.

"For the same reason my future self was brought here when I was sitting where you are now," she answered seriously, all traces of humor gone. Spreading a wing, she placed it on her younger self's back, pulling her in close to the side. "You see, back when I was in your place, I was more than angry. You know what I'm talking about, cause I know you're feelin it right now. The things you saw. The things you did… or didn't do. It was hard for me, back then. Just as it will be hard for you. But you shouldn't feel bad, Squirt. Yes, the choice we made was bad, but at the same time it was the right thing to do."

"But what about my parents?" Scootaloo droned quietly, frowning sadly.

"They're gone," Scootaloo answered, making her younger self tense up as she looked up at her with wide, disbelieving eyes as she had said it so casually. "Doesn't mean they're gone gone."

"Huh?"

Rolling her eyes, she tapped her younger self on the head with the tip of her wing.

"Think, Scoot. What brought you into the Ghost Zone in the first place? What was it that made you go out there all alone, only for you to bump into the one ghost who could help you change something as big as this?"

Blinking, Scootaloo thought back. Then, as if a light bulb went off, her eyes light up. "That weird device… It spoke to me… They spoke to me."

"There we go," Scootaloo smiled. "Been focusing on the wrong things too much, haven't you. Ha, I remember when I was like that."

"But, does that mean your… our parents are coming back… as ghosts?"

"Sorry, Squirt. Can't tell ya," Scootaloo replied, holding up a hoof to silence any protest Scootaloo was about to begin. "Not that I don't want to tell you, but I can't. My future self didn't tell me either and neither will you when you're sitting where I am now."

"But, why?"

"Don't worry. It will all make sense someday. What I can tell you, is that you shouldn't blame yourself for what has happened. What happened to mom and dad was horrible," she continued, looking down to the ground with a frown, "but it wasn't your fault. Remember that," she said, tapping Scootaloo on the head with her wing with each word. "It. Wasn't. Your. Fault."

"... And what about…" Scootaloo began, but couldn't finish her question.

"Bellflower," Scootaloo finished for her, sighing. "Not gonna lie to you, we were bad. She did all she could to make sure we had everything we could ever need. Sure, it wasn't always perfect, but she tried her hardest. Something any good parent would do."

"But, she isn't my mom," Scootaloo argued weakly.

"Isn't she?" came the simple, yet difficult to counter reply. "I know you don't know this, because, like me, you never asked about this. But she is more than an honorable aunt, as you heard our father say a while back. Mom, dad, and Bellflower go back a long, long time."

"What do you mean? How long?"

"Ask her when you get back. The answer will surprise you. And, while you're at it, maybe throw in an apology… We both know she deserves at least that much," Scootaloo told her younger self, who hung her head down in shame.

"Hey, chin up, me. It won't be easy and there is still the whole 'being grounded' thing you got going. And let me tell you, when you get back home, it isn't going to be any easier. Neither will it be for Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle. But it will all be worth it."

"It will?" Scootaloo asked, hopefully.

"Sure it will. I'm talking from personal experience," she laughed as she pulled away her wing and stood up, looking down on her past self with a confident smile. "Now, here's what you're going to do. Clockwork here is going to take you back to where you need to be, and you go back to being your awesome self, and not this moping 'can't do' attitude of a pony. We're better than that. So, go back, be awesome and help your friends."

"Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle? Why, what's wrong?"

"Not just them. Don't forget Erlea, as well as Abella and Devora," Scootaloo reminded, blinked, then slapped a hoof against her head. "Shoot, forgot. You aren't friends, yet." Shrugging, she looked up at Clockwork. "Let's just forget I let that slip."

"Did you really?"Clockwork asked, smirking. "Or did you merely repeat what your future self did back then?"

"Ehh… A bit of both, really. " she replied awkwardly, rubbing the back of her head.

"Wait!" Scootaloo called out. "I'm going to be friends with Erlea… And who are Abora and Devela?"

"Abella and Devora," Scootaloo corrected. "They're the changelings you had a run in with at Sweet Apple Acres. Andright now, they are in a real mess."

"Right now?!"

"Well, not right now right now," Scootaloo answered. "Right now, it's still going to be a few years before any of that mess happens. But when you return to your own time, then it will be right now. Just not now, you know?"

"I know I have a headache." Scootaloo groaned, holding her head in both hooves.

"Yeah, I remember that one. It still doesn't make much sense, and this time I'm the one who said it," she stood there with wide eyes, trying to connect the pieces all over again. "... Aaand now I have a headache too… again."

"Does this time travel thing ever get easy?"

"Don't ask me, Squirt. I'm still trying to figure that one out."

Shaking her head to clear her thoughts, Scootaloo turned her focus on Clockwork. "Well, I've done everything I think I should. Unless there is something else...?"

Chuckling, Clockwork shook his head. "No, I do believe that should be all," he said and raised his staff, opening a passage through time. "Here you go. This portal shall take you back to your own time, a mere second after you left, so no one will notice your sudden disappearance."

Shrugging, Scootaloo moved towards the opening in the sky. "Not that it matters much. I could simply say what happened and everypony would believe me. Weirder things have happened."

"Like what?" Scootaloo asked, only for her older self to flash her a knowing grin.

"Oh, you'll find out eventually. Don't worry about that. " And then, with a powerful flap of her wings, Scootaloo flew up and passed through the portal, vanishing from their shared timeline.

Closing the passage, Clockwork then turned to the filly standing next to him. "Ready to go back?" He asked, his legs fading into an intangible tail as he slowly rose up.

Looking at the spot her older self had been only a moment ago, Scootaloo took a deep breath, closed her eyes and sighed out.

Looking back at Clockwork, she gave a single, resolute nod, knowing what she had to do now, even if she didn't fully understand it… yet.

With a flash, a new passage was opened and both individuals moved through; the portal closing behind them a second later.

<<>><<>><<>>

A portal opened just above the snow, and two individuals came through. One, a small, orange pegasus, the other an age shifting ghost.

Scootaloo looked around with a saddened gaze, not yet recognizing where they were.

"Where are we?" She asked, a clearly noticeable tone of sadness in her voice.

"The Far Frozen, near the village of the frost giants," Clockwork replied, scanning the area himself. "I thought it best to drop you off here," he gave a nod towards a trio of fillies to their right, moving away from them. "Your friends are over there. I'm sure you have a lot to talk about."

"I, ehh… Yeah," Scootaloo muttered, looking down. Then, as if a switch was flipped, she looked up, sadness seemingly gone, replaced by steeled resolve. "Yeah, I do."

"Then go, child," Clockwork told her. "There is no better time than the present."

Nodding, Scootaloo quickly ran after her friends, using her wings to the best of her ability to keep from sinking too deep in the snow while Clockwork looked after her with a small, sad smile.

"It’s these kinds of lessons that are always the hardest. Both on the heart and the mind. But, in the end, you'll become stronger because of it, Scootaloo. I'm certain that your parents would say so, too." He sighed out after that, gingerly tracing his fingertips over the scar on his face, and he turned his attention to the unfolding conflict just behind a distant hill.

Nodding to himself, he flew towards the hill, following it up until he hovered some feet above it, looking at the mass gathered further below; his eyes locking with the Alpha timberwolf.

He turned invisible a moment later, having done what needed to be done.

<<>><<>><<>>

The Sanctum of Tree of Life.

Deep down within the cave hidden within the icy mountain, Tree of Life felt a change. One of her fruits' glow intensified and grew larger. A testimony to the growth its future bearer had gone through.

One day soon, the others would follow suit.

She just hoped it would be in time.

Author's Note:

If you spot a mistake, please let me know.