• Published 15th Feb 2014
  • 1,968 Views, 24 Comments

Rebirth - twilightpiesparkle



Everypony knows that King Sombra was destroyed by the Crystal Heart. But what no-pony knows, is that one part of him survived. Now, darkness is gathering and war threatens to break out. This time, the ponies may not be able to save Equestria, as one

  • ...
3
 24
 1,968

Chapter 8

The sun was setting. The sky was a collection of colors. It was a beautiful sight. But Luna wasn’t looking at the sky.

The Night Guard was shifting restlessly from hoof to hoof. His normally stoic behavior was gone.

“Princess. We have failed you.” The Guard lowered his head. “There is no excuse. As The Night Guard, we—“

“There was nothing more that you could do. I fear that this new villain is more dangerous than anything else we have ever faced. And with the Elements of Harmony disabled, Equestria is in danger. We must find the Council.”

“Are you so sure that the Council’s disappearance is a result of a villain?” The Night Guard raised an eyebrow. “The fate of Equestria isn’t always in the balance, you know”

Luna sighed. “I know. However, it is best to prepare for the worst. That is why I will perform the Scrying Spell.”

MLP MLP MLP

King Sombra sniffed. Killing truly was a distasteful activity. But the Council Members had had to go. He looked down at the freshly made mass grave. He’d had one of the Changelings dig the grave—one of the ones not involved in his plan.

Sombra had known from the start that he would need to find a way into Canterlot’s political system. He hated to admit it, but the two stupid princesses were still too powerful for him to defeat. He needed to be patient. All good things come to those who wait. He thought to himself.

Though just because he needed to be patient before dealing with the two royal sisters, that did not mean he could not eliminate other threats in the meantime.

Sombra’s plan, though simple, was brilliant. His army of Changelings were to take the form of the ex-Council members, then, when the foolish young Luna comes seeking the Council, she will find his Changelings and believe that they are the ponies that she is looking for. They will be taken back to Canterlot and from there, his master plan will really begin to take form.

It is really so convenient that the Council over rules even Celestia in the court room. For if they did not, my plan would be foiled. Thought Sombra.

Now Sombra knew that Luna would not be so dense as to look for the Council members with ought magic. And he believed that he knew exactly which spell she would use.

Under any other circumstances, the Scrying spell would not locate the imposters, but the Councils member’s dead bodies instead, but these were not normal circumstances.

Changelings had their own special type of magic. This magic not only allows them to look like the pony they are disguised as, but they become that pony in every way other than the mind. It is as if they have taken the ponies body but kept their own brain. So now, when Luna uses her spell, it will lead her to his Changelings.

Sombra looked to his followers, Perfect, he thought with an evil smile growing upon his (or Rarity’s) face, Nopony will ever be able to tell the difference.

Swiftly, he used his magic to tie the disguised Changelings up with a rope, and left them in one of the ominous tunnels near the entrance.

Sombra slowly turned his back and walked away, for the Changelings knew the plan and he had no reason to worry.

“Now,” muttered Sombra with a sly grin, “to wait.”

MLP MLP MLP

The Canterlot Library was one of the largest in Equestria. It had a vast collection of knowledge. Even Luna didn’t know everything the library held.

In a palace as large as Canterlot Castle, there were bound to be hidden entrances and secret passages. Luna had always loved exploring and had found many of these passages. There were many in the library, but at the moment, Luna was searching for one in particular. She grumbled to herself as she scanned the bookcases.

I really don’t have the time for this. We need the Council back as soon as possible. Luna thought, sighing.

Finally, Luna found the book she was looking for. She smiled inwardly in satisfaction and pressed the book down with her hoof. There was a creaking sound as ancient gears turned. And then, there was a staircase next to the bookcase. Luna shook her head in amazement.

She had asked her sister, once, how the passages worked, but her sister had only looked away and muttered something about “magic” and “Star Swirl the Bearded”.

Any other pony would have been terrified to go into such a dark, scary and, frankly, downright cliché secret staircase, but Luna wasn’t intimidated. She loved the dark, and she loved exploring (being the Princess of the Night and all). And so, Luna proceeded into the dark passageway.

Personally, Luna had always found the secrecy surrounding the Royal Archives a bit ridiculous. However, she recognized the need for it. If the information within the archive were to fall into the wrong hands, the results would be disastrous.

Luna reached the bottom of the staircase and used her horn to light the chamber. She could make out dusty bookcases in the eerie blue light.

Now, where is it? It should be right—there it is!

This time, Luna let her smile show. She levitated the book and turned back to the stone staircase. It was a good thing her sister wasn’t here. She would never have condoned this. But then, it was Tia’s own fault for running off to her apprentice, Twilight Sparkle. Not that Luna had anything against Twilight. In truth, Luna had always admired and envied the young alicorn. But, events were moving quickly. Without her sister, Luna knew that she would have to take drastic measures. And it was for the best, really.

While her sister had always hated dark magic, labeling it “evil”, Luna was fascinated by it. Dark Magic could be useful. And in this case, it was necessary.

Hopefully, Tia isn’t too angry when she finds out. She wouldn’t banish me to the moon again…right?
Luna sighed. It was going to be a long night.

Author's Note:

Happy summer Everypony!!! I wish that we could have posted this on the 21st though cus it was the 1,004th year of the summer sun celebration! Well, I hope you enjoyed this chapter! :twilightsmile: