• Published 10th Feb 2014
  • 585 Views, 6 Comments

The Merry Adventures of Flutter Hood - Chris94677



The Trans-Everfree road was the first large scale road to cut through the Everfree forest to connect the Griffin and Pony Kingdoms. But they didn't consider the creatures living there. Now they will wish they did.

  • ...
3
 6
 585

Chapter 2: A New Life.

It felt strange really, walking out that door. Ferrum entrusted me with this duty to fight the injustice that had gripped all of Equestria. But I didn't feel scared, well no, that was a lie. I was scared, but not scared for my own life, I felt scared that I would fail those I am trying to save. I felt guilty that I didn't do something earlier to save those that are no longer with me. I felt rage towards those who are now opposing me. It was a huge mixing pot of emotions that were swimming around in my head as I made my escape from Ponyville. I could still hear the bells that were ringing in the back ground alerting the guards, that I was still on the loose. I had to somehow sneak my way out of the now slums of Ponyville. It would be no easy task. The collection of shacks that blanketed the city made navigation difficult. And unfortunately flying was out of the option, I could see Griffins flying circles around the town. And I knew I had no chance to out fly them. I was no Rainbow Dash, and Rainbow Dash, how would she feel about what I have done? Who I just became, would she be proud? Would she think I was a fool? I suppose it doesn't matter now, she's gone with all the rest of my friends, and I have to stop Emperor Blueblood myself...

But as much as I kept thinking to myself, I had to sneak my way across the crowded streets and shacks. I became very thankful to this new armor. It kept my face hidden, and covered my obvious pink mane and yellow fur. I will be able to manage slipping past the occasional oblivious guard every now and then. But I knew I had to keep my distance, or risk being found out. And if I was found out, I'd have to either try to fight my way out or surrender. However, surrender at this point wasn't an option. I kept slipping my way through the streets. Which was tense to say the least. The amount of guards seemed to have doubled since I left Ferrem's. I would have to say about 50 guards were searching for me. I just had to make it out and fly to my cottage. Then I grab Angel and make a run for the Everfree. I don't think it will be an easy task, but I owe this town that much.

I crept along an ally between two stores when I saw a contingent of guards walk past. I quickly ducked my head back behind the wall and took a breath, before peaking back again. Looks like the coast is clear..., I thought to myself before quickly dashing across main street. I would have to stay in the shadows until I get to the outskirts of town. Had this been Ponyville pre-Blueblood, I would have no issue navigating. However as the many slums started to pop up, it made my home town look alien and unfamiliar. It both broke my heart, and made my task that much harder.

I thankfully managed to reach the outskirts of town, and saw the road was clear. Fortunately the road to my cottage was run down, and taken back by nature. It made the way difficult unless you knew what you were doing, luckily I did. As I made my way to my cottage I saw Angel looking at me with a surprised face, which gave off the question

"What are you wearing?"

I gave him a small smile, as I pulled down my hood, I quickly ran over to the chicken coops and stables opening the pens, while shouting, "Come on my little friends, you need to leave now.", which was met with a stoic stance from them. I paid no mind as I continued running down all over my home releasing the various animals I sheltered since moving to Ponyville. Yet all of them had not moved, just stood there confused. I was growing frustrated as I started to hear the sound of Griffin scouts searching the skies. I quickly shouted, "NOW!"

That certainly got them moving as they all scurried in various directions, meanwhile Angel just looked at me with a flabbergasted face. I looked down at him picked him up and said, "Angel we're leaving home, we're going to make camp in the Everfree and live out our days as outlaws.", I said simply, only to be met with a swift soft rabbit paw to my face, and a face that said Are you bucking kidding me...

"I'm serious Angel, the guards want me to be executed so from now, we're to live out our days in the forest... Got a problem with that?", I asked with a raised eyebrow, with a hint of anger. Angel quickly looked away for a moment, before returning his gaze and gave a nod of understanding.

"Good.", I said with a smile, before putting him down

I quickly ran back into my cottage and gathered up any necessary materials for my new life. I grabbed food, containers to hold water, and a tent set I had in my closet. Luckily it was also a dark green shade of fabric, so it would blend in well with the forest. After I gathered any other useful items I walked outside and took one last look at my home before a tear left my eye. I had a sinking feeling I wouldn't be seeing it anytime soon. The lush overgrown roofs that I cherished so much, I turned and looked at all the empty bird feeders... Damn you Blueblood..., I shook my head before turning my head back to Angel before putting my hood back up.

"Well Angel, I guess this is it huh?", I asked Angel which was met by a slow nod, before he gave me a face that asked Are you sure you want to do this?

"Yes Angel, I have to do this, it's time someone finally stood up to that monster.", I stated with vigor in my heart.

I picked up Angel and set him in a leather messenger bag. They were a bit more uncomfortable than saddle bags, but with my bow on my back, I couldn't carry saddle bags. I turned and looked into the large forest that would now be my new base of operations and home. I then started galloping towards the treeline.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Looking for a suitable place to make a hide out proved more difficult than I first thought. Finding the perfect spot was difficult, I would need a place to be concealed if a search part were to come knocking, as well as a close source of water, and a decent place to stash any loot. I stood there furrowing my brow as I continued searching with Angel at my side. I have spent the better part of an hour searching for a place to no place. Until then I found it.

"It's.... It's pefect...", I gasped astonished. It was a large tree that was seemingly hollowed out in the inside. Which would be the perfect place to stash loot. A few hundred meters was a lake for fresh water, and the entire place was surrounded in a thick canopy of foliage. It was breathtakingly beautiful. I immediately went to work, I took out a hatchet and started to cut down some branches to increase the coverage from the air. Last thing I needed was a lucky Griffin or Pegasus finding me out from the air. Luckily, the main tree was large enough to cover most of the area, but when winter comes I'll need to be prepared. Increased branch coverage will suffice.

"Well let's get to work.", I said as I swung at the first tree.

Many Hours Later

Catching my breath I finally looked at my job, it took many hours but this place, will be a perfect home for the new Robin Hoof. I bet Robin Hoof himself probably had a hideout similar to this one., I cracked a grin as I wiped the sweat from my forehead. Now that I finished my hideout, I'm gonna need to make a plan...

All I need to do now is find some rich traders coming through the forest via the Trans-Everfree road, which really shouldn't be hard considering the very nature of the road, and give it to the beggars of Ponyville, still though probably easier said than done. I stood there tapping my hoof on the ground, looking around me. Wait a minute..., I thought to myself.

"That's it!", I shouted in realization, thankful no one was around to hear me. A large shipment of bits are being shipped through.., I realized. Blueblood strip mining operations in southern Equestria while horrifically damaging to the surrounding environment, was fruitful. He sent tons of rare gems to the Griffins and for reimbursement, the Griffins are sending convoys of bits to Equestria via the Trans-Everfree. Unfortunately Blueblood too smart, or too paranoid to send it all in at once. So he is sending small shipments once a week, and the latest shipment is due to arrive early tomorrow morning.

Well, looks like Robin Hoof's first target is laid out, all that's left is to prepare., I thought to myself. The large number of mercenaries guarding the shipment is worrisome, but I know this forest like the back of my hoof. A few well placed traps and decoys will be perfect, and considering the mercenaries Blueblood hired weren't very bright...

"Looks like I have a plan then", I said to myself eyeing the left over woof and leaves, then looking back in the direction of the road, and cracking a grin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I made my way to the road, where fortunately looks like no one will be here for quite a while. It was getting dark, and even if most of the animals were dislocated, very few merchants or traders want to set foot in the Everfree at night. I did a quick survey looking to find the best spot. Eventually my eye fell to an area where two large cliffs overlooked both side of the road. I may be by myself, but that doesn't mean they know that... . I flew over to the first cliff on the eastern side of the road and tied up branches and leaves to make it appear as if I had a group of twenty or so following me, and when the sun comes up a large shadow will fall over them, making just their silhouette visible, and I can get Angel to light their "arrows" on fire, they'll staring running all the way back to the place from whence they came.

Crack

I quickly jerked my head to the area from where the sound came, and saw a group of a dozen Griffins and Ponies walk down the road lanterns in tow.

"Did you hear about that fight down in Ponyville?", a Griffin asked his compatriots.

"Yea, I heard some mare nearly killed the Captain", a pony with a shield and sword cutie mark responded.

Captain huh? Well, least I know how to pick out the bad ones.., I thought to myself as I continued to eavesdrop

"Any idea who it was?", a second Griffin asked.

"No idea, no one really got a good look at her, aside from some noble mare, who just started spouting off some non sense. So no one really knows who it was, for their sake I hope they left town", the sword and shield cutie mark pony said, shaking his head, before continuing "Took some courage though, assaulting a Captain of the Royal Guard? Not to mention severely injuring him? Not saying I agree with it, but gotta respect it. ", he finished.

"We'll be sure to ask her for her autograph next time we see her Steel", the first Griffin teased.

"You saying you got the cojones to assault ol' one eye?", Steel shot back, before finishing, "Like I said don't agree with what she did, but you're either a liar or an idiot if you don't at least respect it.", Steel finalized before looking in the general direction of where I was hiding, squinting before shaking his head and adding one last comment. "And for the record, buck yea I want to meet her, the Captain was always son a whorse, I'll shake her hoof", he joked causing the laughing of his companions.

"Alright Romeo how 'bout you just focus on carrying that lantern and looking out for a wild manticore or some timberwolves huh?", another pony said who was clearly the leader, before finishing "For the record, I'd shake her hoof too", he said with toothy grin as the rest of the group moved on and continued chatting.

Looks like I'm already famous, and I didn't even start yet... At least no one knows I am the one who assaulted the Captain. Blueblood could've gone after my friends to see where I was hiding., I thought to myself as I watched them continue down the road, before looking towards my work. I gave a look of satisfaction as I gazed along the tree line, Blueblood is in for a surprise tomorrow., I thought before slinging my bow along back, and walking back to camp, while whistling out loud.

Author's Note:

Amazing what happens when you get inspiration to write. You just start typing and you can't stop until you're satisfied.

Zlatan agrees.:yay: