• Published 10th Feb 2014
  • 580 Views, 6 Comments

The Merry Adventures of Flutter Hood - Chris94677



The Trans-Everfree road was the first large scale road to cut through the Everfree forest to connect the Griffin and Pony Kingdoms. But they didn't consider the creatures living there. Now they will wish they did.

  • ...
3
 6
 580

Chapter 3: The First Of Many

I woke up as Angel started thumping on my chest, I opened one eye before yawning. It was an hour or so before dawn, which means the shipment of bits was headed this way in a few hours. I groaned as I picked my head off the floor that I slept on, and trotted over to the lake to wash off when suddenly a thought hit me like a tons of bricks, Oh my... I might... I might have to kill some pony... I never even thought about it until now. I mean the bow and arrow is not a weapon designed to incapacitate enemies, it's designed to eliminate, and while I was well versed in pony anatomy and not a half bad shot with the bow and arrow, I doubt I have the capability to specifically aim for non lethal areas of the body to make shots. Just one inch off and I could pierce an artery and they would die, not to mention if I made a hit in the neck... I shook my head as I kept walking, Robin Hoof surely had to kill... I mean how could he not? So many years running from the law, at least once he had to be backed into a corner..?, I never killed a sentient creature before, I've hunted before but not kill a Pony nor Griffin.

A lot of Ponies find it surprising but I have killed before, you don't live on the edge of the Everfree without having to defend yourself from a rogue Timberwolf or some other creature. I've hunted for food, for my carnivorous animals, I mean they had to eat. Still though, killing a Pony was something I never had an intention to do... I looked back at Robin Hoof's bow, and quiver filled with barbed arrows. Ferrum definitely didn't intend for me to incapacitate any opposition I will face, those arrows were designed to kill... , I thought to myself. I continued to wash my self in the lake, sleeping on the ground unsurprisingly made me quite dirty, I suppose it's going to be one of the in the moment type situations, I thought to myself trying to scrub out a protesting patch of dried dirt clumped in my fur, If a Royal Guard is about to kill me, aren't I justified in fighting back? Isn't that self defense? before sighing, No, it isn't, self defense would imply I wasn't the cause of the fight... Murder? How would I explain that to any of my friends... Hey girls! It's me Fluttershy! Fun Fact, did you know I killed a Royal Guard the other day to steal a container of bits! Don't worry though, I gave it all to the poor! Fear gripped me as I continued to think about it, true enough since assuming the mantle of Robin Hoof, I've naturally become more assertive and no longer as submissive as I once was, yet still I couldn't conceive killing another Pony or Griffin for that matter, before I took a deep breath and spoke out loud to myself

"I took on the mantle of Robin Hoof not for myself but for the people who's lives been destroyed by the monsters in Canterlot. May I have to answer for a long lost of crimes by the end of my journey? Yes, but until things go back to normal, if they go back to normal. I have to do what's best for Equestria. If that means putting to rest a few Royal Guards then... I don't have any choice in the matter do I?", I spoke softly to no one in particular

You don't have to you know.. No one will think of you as a coward, taking a life is a step you can't return from...

"I know, but if Equestria needs a guardian who kills, who am I to deny her that?

Fluttershy you owe this land nothing, the very fact you're doing this goes beyond what any have done for millennia...

"If not me than who? No one else has stepped up to answer the call, my friends are far away, thousands of miles apart, the Elements are Luna knows where. I have to do what is right. Even if that means answering for it later."

Just don't martyr yourself Fluttershy, Equestria doesn't need you awaiting the gallows.

"Maybe not, but it needs Robin Hoof, and Robin Hoof would do what ever was necessary to help those in need."

I left the lake and dried myself back on the shore, and put on my armor, and threw up my hood. I walked over to my camp and grabbed a few pieces of charcoal and berries, and put warpaint under my eyes. Maybe it wasn't that most traditional Trottingham attire, but back on Cloudsdale our ancestors would adorn them selves in warpaint before battle. Supposedly it marks them, so the spirits can protect them. Of course that was only used in practice thousands of years ago when the Pegasi were nothing but tribes. Still though, it feels right.

After I attired myself I grabbed my bow, coming to the realization there was a chance I might not make it back. I quickly glanced over to Angel who was tying a red bandana over his head, as well as applying the war paint to his cheeks. I tried to say a word but as I opened my mouth my voice cracked, I finally managed to speak,

"Angel, I-... If I don't make it, I want you to run honey, try to make your way to Ferrum, he'll take care of you okay.", I told him getting down to his level and looking at him in the eye.

Angel just scoffed, and gave me an incredulous look, before sighing and looking back and nodding slowly accepting what I said, but then quickly looked up and started intently saying with body language, You better make it out of this alive!

I giggled and hugged him, much to his protest. When I finally broke it, I gave him a nod of approval, and gestured my head to the right, "
"Come on Angel, let's go, that shipment won't wait for us."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I slowly crept to the treeline that overlooked the road, the convoy was about 10 minutes out. Which means it was time to get ready, I looked Angel and whispered, "You know what to do?" To which he gave a quick nod, before returning his gaze to the convoy, as did I. I quickly floated up to the top of the tree canopy, my lincoln green armor camouflaging me from the oblivious royal guards. I took a quick survey, and sighed a breath of relief, this convoy was not well guarded at all. Only five Royal Guards all Earth Ponies, three of which looked like new recruits, and the other two nearing retirement. Looks like the spirits are watching me today..

I spoke softly to myself as I closed my eyes in prayer, "Spirits make my hooves swift, and my aim true.", I opened them and it was time. My entire plan hinged on bravado and showmanship, I had to make them believe I had them hopelessly outnumbered, and that I was in complete control. The Sun was rising, I never thought about it now... But without Celestia and Luna who's been raising and lowering the Sun and Moon?, I shook my head of the thought focusing on the task in front of me. I climbed to the front a branch that was sticking a further out than the rest giving me a good perch over the five Royal Guards.

"Look Gleaming I'm telling you NO WAY that mare was into you!", a blue and yellow Earth Pony said gesturing his hands in frustration.

"What makes you say that huh! Didn't you see the way she was eyeing me up?", A red and orange Earth Pony apparently named Gleaming rebuked.

"Gleaming! She was a bloody whor-", the blue and yellow one said before being cut by the apparent leader of the group.

"Shut up! If I hear one more bucking word out of either of your mouths, I'll personally shove my sword up where Celestia's sun don't shine!", he boomed at the two recruits prompting them both to shut their mouths.

I guess it's now or never..., I took a deep breath before breathing, "Remember... You're not Fluttershy, you're Robin Hoof.", I quickly drew my bow and brought it to an anchor point and took aim, I wasn't trying to hit anyone, no that would just provoke them, I needed their attention. I readied myself and fired right at the crate they were holding. Which landed with a satisfying crack as it stuck in the wooden crate it hit. To say it took the guards by surprise would be a massive understatement.

"WHAT IN THE NAME OF TARTARUS WAS THAT!?", A rookie screeched in a voice that was higher than Fluttershy's could go, his companions had similar responses.

"Oh Celestia we're under attack!", a panicked pony yelled.

"What do we DO?!", Another one yelled at it's superiors who stood there ready to fight, to which the leader yelled out

"SHUT UP! Raise your shields! We can't surrender the cargo!",

The group of rookies while cowardly apparently were more scared of their superiors than me, I cracked a grin, and stood up, putting on a fake voice that made me sound like a Stallion, and made myself known to the five below.

" 'Ello good fellows!", I shouted in glee, while waving towards them clearly receiving their attention.

"Wh-wh-WHO ARE YOU?!", the second panicked recruit demanded, to which he was smacked by his superior.

"I do the questions around here!", he said before looking back at me, "WHO ARE YOU?!", he demanded, repeating the panicked recruit.

I simply chuckled in false bravado, "My name isn't really important right now I'm afraid! What is however, is if you good stallions could turn tail and head in the other direction giving me all those bits you've been carrying. I'm sure they are awfully heavy, I can release you of that burden!", I yelled out leaning against the tree.

"Over my dead body!", the leader yelled out as he prepared to fight.

"You know, I was afraid you were going to say that, ah well, LADS!", I bellowed out signalling Angel Bunny.

Angel quickly took a his match and ran across the tree line setting the "arrows" on fire, which revealing the silhouette of twenty "armed stallions" about to rain arrows on them.

"OH SWEET CELESTIA! HE ISN'T ALONE!", a recruit screamed while backing up.

"Horseapples...", The leader said, "Buck this I'm 6 months from retirement", he said to himself, before looking back up at Fluttershy, "Alright you win!", He said throwing his sword on the ground. "Just let us go... please?", he asked hopefully. Though, I couldn't let him off without a little scare for not cooperating. I mean they didn't know I had no intention of killing them.

"I don't know... I did tell you to surrender first, but you were pretty adamant. What was that you said? Over my dead body?", I said readying an arrow at them.

"Please! I- I have a wife! Children! Grandchildren!", he said pleading for his life.

"Well... Alright on ONE CONDITION!", I bellowed out to him, releasing the tension on the arrow.

"An-anything!", the man pleaded as did the rest of the guards.

"When you run back and all your bits are gone, your superiors are going to want to know what happened yes?", I asked rhetorically

"Yea, yea I suppose they will.", The leader said his hooves still in the air.

"So tell them what happened, paint them a word picture so elegant and beautiful it would be as if Vincent Van Colt himself painted it!", I yelled out cockily.

"Okay, okay what ever you say sir, but one thing...", He said his voice breaking into a whisper.

"What is it my good fellow, speak up, me and my bunch of Marry Stallions can't quite hear you!", I howled at the scared senseless guard.

"Wha-what's your name?", The old pony said his voice shaking.

"Like I said my friend, my name isn't important, but if you must, ROBIN HOOF! The name is Robin Hoof! Now go! Run!", I barked out. To which all the guards dropped their weapons and ran as if a manticore was on their tail. When they were clearly out of view I fell on my back and gasped letting out how terrified I actually was. I couldn't let them see it, but I was just as scared if not more than them. I was gasping for air, when Angel Bunny climbed up and hopped on my stomach looking at me with a face of approval. "You did great honey, I'm so proud of you", I said hugging him. My voice going back to normal, although my throat did hurt a bit from straining it so much, I had a feeling I was going to have to get used to that voice. No one could know who I was, even that I was a mare, before I left the hug and looked down at the crate of bits. "Well Angel, it's time to do the other half of being Robin Hoof.", I said smiling, wiping the nervous sweat from my face. I floated down to the crate and looked inside and gapsed, I huge pile of bits was stacked high. It was more money than I had every seen in my life aside from Canterlot's very own treasury!

"Angel, they are thousands upon thousands of bits in here, and this was only one shipment?!", I gasped still in a state of perpetual shock, "Alright Angel we need to get these back to the hideout ASAP", I said definitively picking up the large crate of bits. Ooof, okay this is very, very heavy I gasped and huffed as I flew with it in my hooves, "Alright Angel let's get back to camp."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gasping for air I finally made it back to my camp, as I set the enormous crate of bits down, "Holy Luna that was horrible...", I said panting as I laid on my back. It was just becoming noon as the sun reached the very top of the sky. I took a deep breath, the sweat from my face dripping down. I looked to the side and saw Angel actually swimming in the bits, I chuckled at that, "Angel you know we have to give them away right?" to which he looked at me with a dumbfounded face. "That's why we're doing this Angel, not for ourselves but for the poor folk who have no bits.", Angel's face still hasn't changed at all. "The only bit of it we are keeping, is enough to get more supplies. So roughly 10 percent." I said smiling at the bunny, who's face was still frozen. I waved a bit trying to get his attention, but it was as if he was paralyzed. I shrugged and munched on an apple.

It's only the beginning you know, and it probably won't ever be this easy again.

"I know, I got lucky that the five guards weren't the brightest or bravest."

And that little trick, won't work again either, you know.

"I guess word would get around that my "Merry Stallions" never show their face, and always are hidden behind the shadows huh?"

And when some pony inevitably calls your bluff or doesn't back down...

"Then, I'll have a fight on my hands... I know."

I looked back at Angel who was starting to finally getting a feeling back in his face, "Angel get ready honey, we're going back to Ponyville in an hour so we can dispense these bits. He just started at me again, "Oh no... Not again...", I then sighed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I made my way to Ponyville with a sack full of the bits, fortunately no one in Ponyville will be suspecting a thing, as the guards ran in the opposite direction. I cracked a goofy grin as I began whistling to myself. I swayed my hips a bit as I moved, I'll admit I was feeling pretty good. I just couldn't wait until Blueblood would hear of that fact his shipment was hijacked by a thief in the Everfree. As I made my way to Ponyville I kept my smile despite the fact the town was still in the same sorry state. At least these bits will help those in need. I flew to the slums of Ponyville where even the guards avoided. I saw many fillies and colts who were far too small for their age, and many ponies huddling together by the fire. I walked to the center of the slum and prepared my Robin Hoof voice. I grabbed a garbage can lid and a stick and started slamming them together to get their attention, to which everyone wearily looked towards me.

SLAM

SLAM

SLAM

"Hello my good fellows!", I yelled out joyously, before tossing the stick and garbage can lid to the ground aside. "I heard you all may be in the need of some bits?", I asked the group only to be met by silence, to which I shrugged and grabbed the sack of bits I've been carrying around and dumped it all over the ground. "Well, let's just say there is someone looking out for you lot", I told them earnestly looking them all down from beneath my hood. I was fearful they might think I was lying to them.

Without any bravado in my Robin Hoof voice, "Listen, there is someone out there now who hears your cries for help, someone who sees you starving, freezing, and I'm here to tell I'm putting an end to the corruption and evil that is in this town.", I said throwing some bits in the air, "And this my friends, is just the start, and you can bet your apples that you'll be seeing a lot more of little ol' me.", I said gazing them all down only to be met with silence still.

Just then a filly who was no older than eight, rushed up to to me and hugged me. To which I responded with putting a hoof around her neck, "Thank you mister...", she said to me sweetly.

"It's just the beginning little filly", I said holding her.

Suddenly the group approached me and surrounded me, all hugging me, I stood there in the epicenter of the circle of the biggest group hug I've ever seen with a tear nearly escaping my eye, I really am making a difference... It may not be enough to get Blueblood to lose control of the crown, or bring back those that were lost, but to these people... It's the world

"Alright, you lot are gonna make me got all sentimental, it's not a very good look for me, all truth be told," I said swaggering, "Now then take these bits and buy yourselves some food, a night in the local inns, and what ever else your heart desires. There is more than enough for every one here. I trust you all can share?", I said with a hint of worry, one of the bigger stallions might take the money.

"Eyyup", a stallion said from behind me which made me gasp, I quickly turned around and saw Big Macintosh, and it took every bit of strength I had in my body not to run up and hug my old friend. It hurt so much having to feign ignorance of who this stallion was.

What in the world is Big Mac doing in the slums?!, I thought to myself as I started blankly at him.

"Ah good stallion, I trust you'll oversee this, and make sure everyone get's their fair share?", I asked knowing the response beforehand.

"Eyyup", he said with an authoritative nod.

I prepared to leave, when I realized I wasn't going to be able be Robin Hoof without my bunch of Marry Stallions... And honestly I couldn't think of someone who fit the bill better than Big Mac, before I left I went up to him and whispered in his ear,

"Meet me back here tonight if you want to make a real difference Big Mac" to which his eyes widened and I gave a curt nod, before beginning to fly off, but not before I got one final word in, appearances and all,

"And remember my friends, this is but the first of many! I bid you good afternoon!', I said flying off to the thunderous applause of those I just helped.

Maybe being Robin Hoof isn't so bad after all...

Author's Note:

Goes from updating a story once in a year, to twice in one day. :twilightoops: heh heh, oops?

Comments ( 1 )

4605211

Ah well ya know just 58 weeks later...
Banter?:facehoof:

Login or register to comment