• Published 7th Feb 2014
  • 1,181 Views, 9 Comments

Love Can Be Different - EvelynMonroe



Kainen, a mysterious baby changeling, suddenly falls into the hooves of Cadence when she least expects it. What if the key to ending the war with the changelings lies within this very soul? Rated T for Blood/Violence.

  • ...
3
 9
 1,181

The Nightmare, The Murder

The dawn was breaking as the sun began to peek its head over the horizon, painting its beautiful array of colors into the morning sky.

"She is beautiful Shining.. I am so proud that we are finally parents.." Cadence said with a warm smile as she gently rested her head on his chest. The two of them quietly embraced each other in the hospital while watching their innocent newborn foal peacefully sleep in front of them, snugly wrapped in a cute baby blanket.

"She IS beautiful.." Shining Armor said, pausing for a moment as he glanced over to Cadence. "..just like her mother" he finished as he gently placed a kiss on her cheek.

Cadence blushed at his compliment. She felt so lucky to have such a strong and caring Stallion by her side. He knew all her strengths, all her weaknesses. No matter what happened, he always managed to be there for her, he always knew just what to say when she felt down. He completely knew her inside and out as well as the secrets to her heart..

"I love you Shining.." she said with a tear of happiness rolling down her cheek as she looked directly into his eyes.

Shining gently looked back into hers while displaying a comforting smile on his face as he softly responded. "I will never leave you Cadence.. remember that."

She closed her eyes for a moment as she soaked in his loving words. A moment of silence passed as she gave him a few loving nudges with her cheek as she simply enjoyed his heart-warming presence before finally asking the question that resided in her mind.

"What should we name her?" she questioned as she slowly opened her eyes to view his response but to what she saw completely shocked her. She was alone in a dark room as a sudden feeling of emptiness and panic washed over her body.

"Shining?! Shining where are you!" she called out in distress as she ran out of the unfamiliar space. She arrived to a long, plain white hallway with doors lined up on both sides. She frantically began opening each door, quickly scanning the room for the two of them before moving on to the next.

"Shining?! Where are you! Wheres my baby?!" she called out as adrenalin began surging through her body.

"Moooooooommyyyyyyyyyyy" a soft child-like voice spoke as it echoed off the walls throughout the long corridor. She immediately stopped what she was doing and perked up her ears in attempt to zone in to where the sound was coming from, but the hallway remained silent.

"Shining, please don't do this to me!" she called out as her heart began to wrench in her chest.

"Shining, please!.." she said as she lowered her head to the floor, tears now streaming down her cheeks. "Please.. don't leave me.." she sniffled, no longer able to hold back her emotions as she began to gently sob to herself.

"Cadence... Cadence... Come quickly" a whispering voice spoke out, echoing through the long hallways once more. However, this time she did not recognize who it was.

Without thinking twice, she galloped as fast as she could down the long corridor towards where she thought the sound had come from.

"Cadence... Hurry Cadence..." the mysterious voice said as it grew louder and more hideous the closer she approached.

Suddenly she reached the end of the hallway as there was now a tall black door that towered right in front of her. Having already been slightly cracked open, she could see a feint white light emanating around the doorway giving off a very eerie feeling. She did not know why but she was hesitating to open it as a powerful feeling of anxiety washed over her subconscious. She paused for a moment as she shook the feeling, trying her best to compose herself. She took a deep breath and without further delay, she opened the door and stepped through.

Her vision suddenly flashed white. She rubbed her eyes for a moment, struggling to refocus. Chills began to run down her spine as she observed the scenery around her. There she was, standing all alone in a very dark and eerie graveyard as the sky above her was pitch black. There was no moon, no stars, nothing.. just an empty abyss.

"Where am I?.." she silently said to herself as she slowly and aimlessly walked down the long and beaten path. The trees that surrounded her had no leaves, they were dark and ugly. The branches were growing wildly, gnarled in every direction.

"Cadence.. over here.." said the mysterious voice. She looked over and to her surprise it was Shining Armor, standing in front of a tiny tombstone with his head lowered low to the ground. Without a second thought she galloped up to him, throwing her arms around his neck as a powerful feeling of relief washed over her body. Her anxiety, her sadness, it all faded immediately.

"Shining I have been looking for you frantically! I have been so scared.. I.." was all she could say before being interrupted.

"Cadence.." he said as he faced her. His eyes were extremely irritated and puffy as if he had been crying for quite some time. "Look what lies before you Cadence.." He softly finished as he refocused his gaze back to the tiny tombstone that resided in front of the two of them. She looked down and to what she saw caused her heart to sink in her chest.

"Wha..What..H..How.." was all she could mutter as her worst possible fear had come to life. She could not believe it, she did not want to believe it. The pain of losing a child would drive any mother over the edge even to the extent of killing themselves. The pain she suddenly felt, it was unbearable, worst of all none of this made any sense. She knew that she was a good mother and she also knew that her mate, not only was captain of the Royal Guard, but the most loving, caring stallion she has ever been so lucky to fall in love with. How could any of this have happened?

"Eheheheh.." chuckled Shining. Cadence was in disbelief at what she had just heard come out of his mouth. She looked over at him with disgust burning in her eyes as she raised her hoof and slapped him across the face as hard as she possibly could.

*SMACK!*

Shining's head rocked to the side from the force of the impact, however his demeanor remained unchanged as he turned back to face her with a smile.

"How DARE you Shining! Our child is dead because of our ignorance, and you manage to find humor in this heart-breaking circumstance?!" she fumed. Rage and confusion coursed through her veins as she struggled to remain in control but disbelief in her mates actions began to numb her mind.

"Eheheheheheh" he continued. Cadence's eyes were now wide with shock. She could not believe what was happening. Her true love she thought she knew to the very core was nothing more than a heartless monster. His laugh burned in her mind as she could not bear to hear it any longer.

"STOP IT! STOP IT NOW!" she screamed, slapping him over and over and over again. The laughing remained as she continued her punishment to what felt like an eternity before finally letting up from fatigue. She clenched her eyes shut, tears now freely streaming down her cheeks as she paused for a moment, simply wishing that she could just die.

"What's the matter Princess, upset?" said an all too familiar and vile voice, causing Cadence to glance back up at Shining with even more confusion.

"Why the confused look, don't you recognize who I am?" Shining said as he laughed maniacally to himself, his voice clearly different now.

"No.. It can't be.." Cadence said in disbelief as she took a few steps backwards.

"Yes it can.. ehehahahahaaa!" she laughed, revealing her true form. Cadence stood there speechless, frozen in fear. Now towering before her was the mighty Chrysalis, queen of the changelings.

"How easy it was to trick you my dear.. and now you must suffer through the worst fate of all.." she said as she wiped the blood that trailed from her lip. "The fate of living a life with the loss of your kin AND your love!" she finished, maniacally laughing once again.

Her words suddenly ignited an inner flame deep inside Cadence. Her heart was now filled with rage as the desire to fight back now burned brightly within her soul.

"I am going to make you pay.." Cadence said through her gritted teeth. Her adrenalin was now surging through her body as her legs began to shake with energy. "I WILL KILL YOU FOR THIS!" she screamed as her horn powered up with a bright pink magical aura.

Just as she was about to fire away, Chrysalis took the form of Cadence's baby foal. There she was, lying on the ground, wrapped in her same cute baby blanket. Cadence hesitated as the baby started crying.

"What is this?.." she said as she slowly began to walk up to her with caution. The baby that was now lying before her looked exactly like her cute baby foal that she loved so dearly.. her face.. her voice.. it tugged away at her heart even though she knew it was a trick.

"No.. you will no longer fool me with your vile tricks Chrysalis!" she said as she powered back up her horn. She aimed it directly at the helpless baby as it continued to cry with its sweet innocent voice.

"Mommy?.." the baby said in a gentle tone. It's small cute eyes staring with fear into her own, piercing the very depths of Cadence's heart and soul.

She hesitated once again, struggling to pull the trigger.

"I... I can't do it.." she said in defeat as she powered down her horn for the final time. She stood there in silence with her head lowered in defeat.

"Such a disappointment Cadence.. your love is admirable yet foolish as it blinds you from the truth.. a quality that will cripple you for the rest of your life.." Chrysalis said as she returned back to her normal form. Cadence did not respond as she remained motionless, her eyes clenched shut with sadness and pain. The air was silent only to be interrupted by the soft sobbing that Cadence could no longer hold back.

Chrysalis stood there for a moment taking in a view that was before her. Suddenly, deep within her cold heart she began to feel a hint of compassion towards her.

"I will make this easier on you Cadence.." she said as she began powering up her long jagged dark horn with a powerful green aura. Cadence looked up, she knew what was coming but she decided not to defend herself for she felt there was no longer a reason to fight anymore.

"I will send you to the grave to join your pathetic family!" she yelled as she released a powerful beam of magic straight towards Cadence. She felt the magic hit her as her vision blurred white, however, she felt no pain except for a feeling of numbness that washed over her entire body.

"Cadence... Cadence..." a familiar voice spoke as her body within the dream began to shake back and forth.

"Cadence... Wake up Cadence.."

Suddenly she awoke to Shining Armor in their bed peering over her with an extremely worried look on his face.

"Cadence are you OK?" he asked in a worried tone. "You were crying in your sleep and.." was all he said before being interrupted.

"SHINING!" she exclaimed, with tears shimmering in her eyes as she immediately threw her arms around him, pulling him in close with the hardest hug she could muster.

"It was a dream, it was all just a dream!" she exclaimed with relief as she began to cry.

"Cadence.." he said as he gently broke away from her. He reached out and lightly brushed away the tears that ran down her face before continuing.

"Whatever you were dreaming about.. you do not need to explain it to me" he said in a comforting tone. "I know it was a nightmare and the last thing I want is for you to re-live whatever experience you may of had if you were to tell me." He gently combed her bangs off to the side and lightly planted a kiss on her lips.

"Oh Shining.. I'm just so glad that your still you.." she said with a warm smile as her spirits began to slowly lift from Shining's loving words.

He was slightly confused at this comment but hid it well as he gave her a quick smile in response before glancing out the bedroom window. It was early morning as the sunrise was beautiful outside.

"Stay here Cadence, just relax.. I will go and make you your favorite breakfast, how does that sound my love?" he said, gently nudging her on the nose.

She smiled in response. "That sounds wonderful.." she said as she gently rested her head back down on the pillow and closed her eyes. She breathed a sigh of relief, knowing that everything was still OK.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

*Crack* *Crunch* *Rustle*

The changeling mother shot up from her sleep in high alert, immediately peering over to the front entrance in response to the noise she thought she had heard coming from outside. She remained still for a moment, sitting there in perfect silence, waiting for another sound just to make sure her imagination wasn't getting the better of her.

*Rustle* *Rustle*

Immediately she shout out of bed, racing quickly towards her baby, acting automatically on her mother's natural protective instinct. She took a defensive stance in front of Kainen, her wings spread and teeth bared, waiting to attack the possible intruder without hesitation as she stared menacingly towards the entrance.

*Rustle* *Rustle* *Crack*

"Hey I think I've found something!" said a feint voice. "It looks like an old house of some sort, come check it out Stella!" said the pony as his voice slowly became more audible the closer he approached.

"I'm not sure I want to go in there Cyril, for all we know there are probably some wicked spiders ready to pounce us at any moment!" the mare said as she trailed just behind him.

"Where do you think the entrance is to this dump?" he said as he walked around the side of the beaten down house. The mother could see both their shadows slowly pass by through the punctured holes in the wall, adrenalin now surging through her body from anticipation.

"I don't know Cyril, something doesn't seem right about this place.. maybe we should go."

"Don't be such a filly Stella.. wait, I think I found it!" he said as he approached onto the front porch. They both arrived to the front door, it was pitch black as they struggled to adjust their vision to see what was inside.

"Ladies first" he said, gesturing her to go in.

"I'm not going in first! It was your idea to go to this stupid place anyways" she retorted, clearly firm in her position. "Besides, I thought you were a brave Stallion, not a scared little filly!" she finished.

"Oh shut it Stella, I'm not afraid." he said as he glanced back into the dark room. He hesitated for a moment. He was scared himself but he wanted to be brave for his marefriend. He took in a deep breath and slowly stepped a hoof inside onto the old wooden flooring.

*Creeeeek*

Suddenly the pony was pounced as he flew backwards, landing hard on his back.

"I'll teach you heartless beasts NEVER to mess with the changelings again!" the angry mother fumed as she latched her bite hard onto Cyril's neck, sinking her long fangs deep into his throat. Cyril tried to cry out for help but his attempt was only muffled by a gurgling sound as blood ran down his neck and around her planted teeth.

"CYRIL!" the mare screamed in disbelief and shock. Immediately the pegasus flew off as fast as she could, flapping her wings with all her might in fear for her life as tears ran down her face, dropping down into the forest below.

The mother looked up into the sky at the fleeing pegasus. She thought for a moment if she should chase her but that would leave her baby vulnerable and who knew if there were other ponies still around. She decided against it as she walked back inside towards her baby who was now crying. She quickly wiped off the blood from her mouth using the window drapes that hung on the railing nearby before picking her son up and gently cradling him in her arms.

"I'm.. sorry you had to see that little one." she said as she gently brushed his forehead with her hoof to comfort him. "But nothing is going to take away the last precious thing I have left.." she continued as she gently kissed him on his cheek. "..and mommy will fight to the bitter end just to make sure of that." she finished as she grabbed his basket and walked outside the house.

"We need to leave.." she said as she watched the pegasus retreat way off into the distance. "They will be back.. I know it." she said as she placed her son back into the makeshift basket. She then gripped the basket handle with her teeth and flew off into the distance.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

End of Chapter 2

Proceed to the next chapter...