• Published 8th Feb 2014
  • 2,159 Views, 134 Comments

Wheel in the Sky - LightningBass94



Spike travels to Manehattan in search of Rarity

  • ...
13
 134
 2,159

Not of Clay

I sighed loudly to myself. If my mind wasn't already buzzing with the memories of my previous altercation with Super Star, the sirens blaring outside the window of that cheap motel surely would have. Buck this city; everything it is, everything it's done. What did I do to deserve this? What did Rarity do to deserve this? The stallion and mare in the next room were getting louder and rougher in their sex and I pounded on the wall. "Shut up!" I growled loudly in protest. It did little to silence them, in fact it seemed to act as encouragement. They were lucky I was raised better, else I would break into their room and roast them alive. I was in that kind of mood.

I groaned loudly and got up from the dirty bed the motel had provided. I walked to the window and peered outside. The rain had stopped. Maybe it was time for a walk to clear my head. I quickly grabbed my hat, coat, and the keys to the room and exited the room. The chill of the night hit me like a brick wall. I hadn't quite expected that, but I pressed on. I needed a drink. What I didn't need was another problem from this city. There had to be something about it that just brought the worst out in ponies.

Why was Rarity with that abusive jerk anyway? What did she see in him that she had never seen in me? I felt tears well up in my eyes as I brought up ancient memories again, but I bit them back. I wished desperately, at this point, for more rain to conceal them so that I could let them free. I felt a metallic tapping on my shoulder and spun around. I had already cleared several city blocks since leaving the motel, and I'd passed plenty of alleys on the way. Apparently I'd been followed by one. The unicorn before me had greasy, lime green fur that was matted in places with an unknown substance. His long, orange mane was slicked back. Even from several hooves distance, I could see the dandruff and lice which plagued it. He was grinning at me madly. His eyes looked bloodshot and distant. His teeth were a dark yellow, and his breath smelled of alcohol and tooth decay. In a sickly orange aura, he held a large bowie knife. That had been what he'd used to tap me with.

I growled and gave him a glare that quickly changed his crazed expression to that of shock. It would have likely put Fluttershy's stare to shame. "Listen, dirt bag!" I shouted, taking a step closer to the stallion. "I am a fire. Breathing. Dragon!" I took another step forward. "You can't cut through my scales with a knife like that, I'm in a piss poor mood right now, and I will not hesitate to roast you alive!" Wow. I was making that threat a lot lately, internally and externally. I really needed to calm down. With one more step toward him, I had pushed my bare chest into his knife. He kept it steadily in place, so the tip actually bent with the pressure. I needn't say more. The mugger dropped his knife and ran back to whatever rat hole he had crawled out of. "Get a job!" I shouted out to him, before turning around and continuing my walk. I was already missing my boring home in Ponyville, but right now Rarity needed me here more than ever.


It didn't take me long to find a bar. It didn't take long to get kicked out either. At least I felt better. There was nothing like beating four or five stallions in a bar fight to release some aggression. What was I becoming, these days? When I looked into that photograph in Rarity's house, I had been mesmerized by my own eyes as they stared back at me. They were so happy, so full of life. They were a far cry from the soulless eyes that stared back at me in the mirror every morning. I barely recognized myself anymore. Everypony else moved on, continued living. Even Pinkie had learned to deal with the change and devoted her time to Sugarcube Corner since she bought the place from the Cakes. I was the only one stuck in Ponyville, stuck in the past. Nothing for me had changed. The world just changed around me. I was powerless to stop it, and it dragged me along at an ungodly pace. I suppose it broke me at some point, and I just trudged on along side it unemotionally. Celestia, what I would do to put things back the way they were.

It was probably time to head back to the motel. Purchased bottle of whiskey still in hand, I drunkenly stumbled the mile or so back to the run down building. In my stupor, I no longer cared about the city. I no longer cared about its crazed and homeless night life watching me as I passed. At that moment, I was a part of it all. At some point, I had begun crying and I let the tears run freely. I could barely see where I was going. After what seemed like hours, the motel came into view. I let out a bittersweet chuckle at the small success. In the parking lot, I pulled out the keys. Key? I could have sworn I was given two. I must have dropped one. Or not. It could just have been a drunken slip. Yes. I was sure I only got one.

I clumsily tried to take a swig from the bottle as I walked. I tripped over my own feet and would have fallen to the ground if the door hadn't caught my fall. My face slammed into it hard. I groaned in displeasure. After the fight, I was sore, and that hurt much worse than it likely should have. After a few attempts, I shoved the key into the knob and turned. I pushed the acursed barrier open and closed it behind me. The moment the door closed, I was shrouded in darkness. I set the bottle on a dresser and stumbled to the bed.

The only light source was the window directly above said bed, and it revealed to me the strangest of sights. There, upon my bed, was a mare. She shuddered in her sleep with silent sobs. Her normally pristine, white fur was ruffled from earlier events. Her messy, purple mane hung loosely over her swollen face, and the fur below her eyes was soaked with tears. Rarity? Didn't she kick me out of her apartment? What was the meaning of this? How did she find me? Why did she find me? The sight was sobering, to say the least, and with my new-found clarity, I decided those questions could wait until morning. I shook my head and climbed onto the bed. I sat down and leaned my back against the wall. I pulled her head onto my lap, and she whimpered. I fell to sleep with her there, running my claw through her mane.

Author's Note:

What a :twistnerd:!

Please leave your comments. I hope you like this. I didn't even expect this, really, and I was writing it! :rainbowderp: