• Published 8th Feb 2014
  • 2,159 Views, 134 Comments

Wheel in the Sky - LightningBass94



Spike travels to Manehattan in search of Rarity

  • ...
13
 134
 2,159

The City that Never Sleeps

I stepped off the old Ponyville train, and my senses were immediately assaulted. I hated this city. The loud honks of carriages, stuck in traffic outside, and the loud roar of the crowd buzzing around me like bees rang in my ears, and I could already feel a headache coming on. The further I stepped toward the door of the train station, the more frequently I was bumped into by the crowd, obviously too busy to look where they were going. I was just as tall as they were now, so not seeing me wasn't a valid excuse. Absentmindedly, I held my hands in the pockets of my brown long-coat to protect my wallet from potential pickpockets. I hesitated before leaving the station. I hadn't opened the door yet, but I could already smell the smog of the big city. It was a dark, cloudy day, and the cold gloom looming over the city matched my attitude toward it. We apparently had a mutual understanding, this city and I.

The fact that Rarity lived here, of all places, left a rotten taste in my mouth.

Steeling myself, I walked out into the city and took a right down the sidewalk. Walking would be quicker than trying to find a taxi, much less waiting for said taxi to even get through the perpetual traffic jam that was Manehattan. The wind blew, nearly knocking off my brown fedora. I promptly placed a claw over the hat to keep it in place. The matching fedora and longcoat were the last thing Rarity sent me, and they were very close to my heart. I would be devastated if this city took either one away from me after all that it had already done.

Walking down the street, I found myself thinking on the events leading up to this. The last three years had been hell. Rarity had been the first to leave. It was a shock to us all, but deep down, we always knew she'd move on to bigger and better things. She had found a sponsor for her work in Manehattan and left with the promises to write and visit often. Those were the empty promises of a mare I wasn't even sure existed anymore. Soon after that, Rainbow Dash finished up at the academy and became a full-fledged Wonderbolt. She was constantly traveling with her team, all over Equestria. She didn't have time to visit, but she did write often.

Without Rainbow Dash around, Fluttershy became even more of a recluse. She rarely left her house and now preferred gardening and foraging over shopping at the market. Eventually, she altogether shut down her pet shop and veterinary businesses and opted to live off her land completely. Apple Bloom had been growing up, and as such, began working in the orchard. She took over Appplejack's job completely when she left to set up her own orchard in the Applelacian mountains. With quite a few friends missing, and even a family member moving on, Pinkie Pie was having a hard time keeping that smile on her face all the time. In fact, ever since she stopped throwing parties, ponies have been going missing, almost systematically.

I gave a shiver at that thought and the train it was riding. There was no way Pinkie was responsible. Twilight had been sent away by the princesses to rule her own little piece of Equestria. That would have been fun, and all, but I was left in Ponyville...as its new librarian. I took my duties seriously, but it had gotten old, fast. Slowly, I suppose, I'd grown bitter, and cold. That was why I found myself walking through a dirty, "modern" city looking for a classy, clean building that shown like a bright light in a dark cave in contrast. I was searching for Rarity's new boutique. She had described it to me in one of her few letters, and I had memorized the address from the envelopes. Celestia knows, I needed a good pick-me-up!

As I continued walking I was thinking about how Rarity might be doing. Was she well? How was her business? Had she found a special somepony? That last question stung. It stung HARD. I had a hard time coming to terms with Rarity leaving. It took me a long time to accept the fact that she had to move on with her life, and that came with the acceptance of Rarity being her own pony, with her own needs. I never had a chance with her, and my childish crush on her was just that: a crush. After wrestling with these thoughts and memories, I realized I had passed the boutique some time ago. "Crap!" I exclaimed. I turned and began running back the way from which I came, finally arriving at the boutique. It was certainly posh. The building's bright and frilly theme really was a nice change of scenery from the dark and depressing grey and brown hues of the buildings around it. It was a testament of Rarity's Ponyville roots and Canterlot attitude. For the first time all day, I found myself smile a little as I reached for the door and pushed it open.

I was greeted with the sweet, familiar smell of Rarity's perfume and a ball of fur in my mouth, along with a couple of bruised ribs. I had been caught in a crushing hug. Rarity had obviously seen me through the glass door. I had been too caught up in my thoughts to notice her rushing at me. With a widening smile, I returned the hug. "Hey there beautiful," I flirted jokingly, "Long time, no see."

"Oh Spikey-Wikey!" She exclaimed, "It's so good to see you again!" She released me and stepped back a bit. "And look how you've grown! You're as tall as me now!"

Dragons, like myself, grow and grow up with the collection of items. The more we own, the older we get. With the aquisition of the library and all I'd bought with the profits in the past year, I'd grown rapidly to an age I guessed to be around nineteen in pony years. I just responded with a snarky, "Yeah, I do that." A customer behind Rarity loudly cleared her throat, quickly growing impatient.

"Right!" Rarity turned and ran back to her customer. She had been fitting her for a dress before my distraction. She continued her work with a small apology. The customer gave a pompous "Humph!" in reply, nose up in the air. Whilst working, Rarity continued talking to me. "So Spike," She started, "What brings you to Manehattan, Darling?"

"I came to see you," I responded, deadpan, "We haven't spoken in three years, remember?"

Rarity laughed nervously with a sheepish grin, not looking away from her customer, "R-right, of course." She laid her tired eyes upon me once more, something hidden behind them. "Listen Spike...I'm a bit busy with work right now. Why don't you come to dinner later tonight?"

I agreed and she gave me her address along with a time. Just like that, I was out on Manehattan's dirty streets again. I let out a tired sigh. "I hate this city," Hands shoved in my pockets, I walked down the cold, inhospitable street, unsure of where I would end up.