• Published 6th Feb 2014
  • 818 Views, 20 Comments

All In - blowngasket



The past can be a shining source of knowledge for those that wish to learn. For others, events best left hidden behind the veil of time. Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a well kept secret. (Warning:Humanized Ponies)

  • ...
4
 20
 818

Inebriation

Inebriation

Two men sat next to one another silently despite the bar's loud atmosphere. It seemed like everyone inside was having a great time and celebrating. It was a great cause for celebration, as such an event occurring wasn't even heard of. Yet, the two sat silently.

Catacomb, one of those men, looked over towards the person next to him, who casually sipped a glass of apple juice through a straw. His white ceramic mask wouldn't have made it easy to drink otherwise, and those that knew him knew he wouldn't have bothered to take it off for a little thing like drinks. Catacomb looked back down into his full shot glass, the liquor remaining untouched since it was purchased. Peering back at his friend, even his ridiculously colored outfit wouldn't manage to lift his spirits.

"I guess your date was canceled?" the masked man asked once he was finished with his drink. Catacomb quietly stared into his booze, thinking through his answer carefully.

"Yup." Not much more was needed to be said. His friend was only trying to help him, but what can someone in his position really say? "Perry?" Catacomb asked, the masked man turning his head towards his friend.

"Yes?" Perry responded simply.

"What exactly happened today?"

---------- ---------- ----------

"Your sister completed a spell that even the great Starswirl couldn't manage to finish," Reader said, patting Shining on the back.

"That's my little Twily for you," Shining said happily, downing another shot afterwards. "Is that why you invited Ark?"

"Bored," Ark said lazily, sitting at the usual table with Shining Armor and Reader. It was a nice corner spot where they could talk more casually then other areas in the bar. The soundproofing barrier also helped, but was more to protect their own eardrums.

"Never thought you would be the kind to engage in alcohol," Reader said, taking a healthy chug out of his pint glass. Shining nodded, watching Ark swirl around the amber colored liquid.

"It's okay," Ark said quietly, taking a sip of his own. His faced scrunched up slightly, but it was barely noticeable. Shining and Reader laughed, noticing it anyways. Ark placed the glass back down and proceeded to stay quiet as the two continued to talk.

"So, how do you think the young changeling is dealing with his girlfriend's new status?" Reader asked, bringing up a good point.

"Cata is probably celebrating the same way we are."

---------- ---------- ----------

"I don't want it." Catacomb pushed the alcohol away, the bartender nodding and setting the glass aside just in case.

"Cata, are you ok?" Perry asked. Catacomb shook his head slowly, not bothering to look up from his view at the counter. "I would have thought that you would have been happy about all of this."

"Don't get me wrong. I am happy. It is an amazing event, and I would be a terrible person to not give her my congratulations," Catacomb said, forcing a smile on his face.

"But..."

"Where does that leave me?" Catacomb sighed, placing his head against the counter softly.

"I am sorry, but I honestly don't follow," Perry said, keeping his hidden eyes locked on his friend for any kind of cue.

"She is considered freakin royalty, dumbass!" Catacomb said loudly. "What the hell does that make me to her? I am a nobody in her presence. Even worse, I am an..."

"Incredibly idiotic individual," Perry finished for Cata. He turned his gaze to his masked friend. Perry comfortingly placed his hand on Catacomb's shoulder. "You are the only one holding yourself back here. Twilight isn't the kind of person to let something like this change her."

"That isn't exactly what I mean though. Is she even allowed to date me anymore? What if what I am got out? Arg! Where the hell is that booze?!" Catacomb reached for the glass the bartender moved, and quickly downed it. "Ahhh..."

"Cata..."

"Perry, this isn't some small issue to deal with. Mind's are hardwired to try and find all flaws within the famous to try and bring them down to their levels as a method of coping with their own lack of notoriety. Me simply being associated with Twilight would cause her nothing but headaches from rich snooty nobles looking for any and all excuses to bring her down to make themselves feel superior."

"...Quit quoting those strange psychology people. They make me nervous enough," Perry said, shaking his head. "Secondly, as sweet as it is to try and look out for her, you're being stupid. In an incredibly smart way, don't get me wrong. But stupid."

"What do you know?! You have no soul!" Catacomb moaned, placing his head back on the counter.

"Ow..." Perry said, turning his head away.

---------- ---------- ----------

"Sounds difficult," Ark said, taking another cautious sip of his beverage. Shining and Reader looked at him curiously. It wasn't often that the quiet man gave any opinion at all.

"How so?" Shining asked, taking another gulp himself. Ark stayed quiet for several seconds. He carefully thought out his next response, no desire to have to speak more than he had to.

"How would you handle it?" Ark always had a way to make such a huge impact with so few words, and tonight was no exception. Shining took a few seconds to think about what Ark said. He put himself in his shoes and slowly began to understand what he meant.

Shining was married himself to the princess of love, but he knew what he was getting into. The responsibility and determination to prove himself in the eyes of the public was no easy feat. He struggled and crawled through trial after trial to be seen as the figurehead he was today. Catacomb was thrown straight into a minefield in which he has no experience. It is nearly impossible to imagine the amount of stress suddenly placed on someone who is technically an enemy of the state.

"Yeah..." Shining didn't really have anything to say.

"Being famous never did suit Catacomb," Reader added in, taking a slow sip from his beer.

"Maybe I should go talk to him. Offer him some advice," Shining said, staring into the fading bubbles of his drink. He no longer had the desire to finish it off. Ark was definitely a killer, be it people or moods. He looked back at the young man. For someone so young, he was already so many years wiser than he ever appeared. Staring into his eyes was almost the same as staring into a veteran soldier coming back from a war.

"I'll go," Ark interrupted his thoughts, taking out the bits to pay for his drink.

Reader gently grabbed him by his hood as he got up. "There is no need, Ark. Shining can-"

"Prepare security for the ceremony," Ark said plainly. Shining sighed.

"Let him go. He isn't wrong," Shining said to Reader. He released his grip and Ark turned to leave. "I have to make sure that we don't have another incident like before." Reader nodded at Shining. "Before you go, tell me. Why do you want to go?"

Ark turned back around, his gaze as cold as ever. His glare spoke more words than any speech or statement ever could. Shining nodded and Ark turned away, walking towards and out the exit of the busy bar. Shining took a deep breath, a small smile on his face.

"Words will never be strong enough to convey that man's reasons," Reader said, taking another sip.

"I don't think words are even necessary, though." Reader looked at his commander with intrigue. "I understood what he was saying." Shining finished off the remainder of his drink. He turned towards his friend and shrugged his shoulders. "He said, 'There shouldn't be a reason to want to help a friend.'"

---------- ---------- ----------

"So, what now?" Perry asked, not bothering to make eye contact after his friend's slightly hurtful remark.

"I don't freaking know!" Catacomb snapped, trying to keep himself together and failing. It wasn't often Catacomb let things get to him, and Perry knew he was treading on thin ice right now. "Damnit all! Being in love is so difficult. No wonder so many couples have fleeting emotions." Catacomb chuckled slightly, glaring at no one in particular. "I feel like a major ass right now just thinking about it. I enjoyed that and took advantage of it regardless." Catacomb banged his fist onto the bar violently.

"Cut that out, or you're gone!" The bartender said, staring him sternly in the eyes. Catacomb was on the verge of flipping out, but Perry quickly grabbed him.

"We were just leaving. Sorry about the trouble." Catacomb struggled about, but Perry easily overpowered him, leaving him no choice but to submit to the jester's whim. Once they were outside, Catacomb broke out of his grasp, Perry no longer trying to hold him back.

"What the hell is your problem?!" Catacomb yelled out, Perry trying his hardest to keep his own cool despite getting screamed at.

"You were making an ass out of yourself, and nearly got banned from another bar," Perry said, his tone anything but joking.

"Let me make an ass out of myself then!" Catacomb yelled out, pacing about frantically. "I think I deserve the right to get pissed off too. I deserve the right to be angry at this messed up world for constantly dumping load after load of crap on me! I deserve to be an absolute mess when things are going to hell!" Catacomb was so busy fuming, that he didn't notice until it was too late. Suddenly feeling pain in his face as well as a falling sensation, he barely had time to see Perry with his hand outstretched before hitting the ground.

"Will you quit whining like an infant!" Perry nearly snapped as well. Catacomb quietly stared at the ground, his fists shaking. "I can understand you are stressed out. I probably would be, too. You are acting absolutely ridiculous, and only making it worse by throwing a temper tantrum!" Perry took a few deep breaths, attempting to keep his cool before he went too far as well. He could feel his own blood boiling.

"What about Twilight?" Perry said, calmed down slightly. "What do you think is going through her head right now? She woke up today, and the biggest issue was probably what to wear tonight. Now she has to learn how to rule an entire country one day. Don't you even care about her feelings?" Perry stared at Catacomb, watching his entire body start to shake. "Are you even listening to-" The strike was quick, even Perry didn't expect it. He looked down, Catacomb's fist pushing hard against his stomach. Clutching the point of impact and trying to suck in all the air the hit pushed out, he glared at Catacomb. He stood strong, eyes filled with rage.

"Don't you dare try and say I don't care!" Catacomb screamed. He quickly moved forwards and threw a left hook, managing to strike the unsuspecting Perry in the side of his head. He toppled over, laying on the ground, breathing heavily. Catacomb's glare remained focused on Perry, watching him slowly rise back up, shaking slightly as he tried to remain focused. His shaking stance allowed for a moment unguarded, and Perry quickly took advantage of it, striking Catacomb in the side with a quick kick of his own, standing back at full attention.

"Are you really doing this?!" Perry yelled, far beyond snapping now. Striking fast and hard, Perry threw jabs at the rattled man, hitting him several times in the stomach before finishing with a straight to the face. Blood shot out of Cata's nose, quickly covered up as his hands held the injury instinctively.

"I'll kill you!" Catacomb yelled, adrenaline at full rush. He quickly reached into his coat, an action Perry was more than familiar with. With incredible speed of his own, a scythe created from crystal manifested itself into his waiting hands. Catacomb didn't hesitate for one second, pulling out his rune gun and pointing it towards his own friend. Perry quickly approached Catacomb, swinging his weapon with deadly accuracy.

Everything went silent in almost an instant, though sound was still being made. Hearts were racing quickly, the two staring each other down, no movement being made on any front.

"Enough..." A third body stood between the two. One hand was pointing Catacomb's gun towards the ground, a large scorch mark where it was pointing. The other hand held a knife, the blade grinding against the crystal scythe to keep it from removing his friend's head. Catacomb and Perry, both breathing heavily, remained otherwise motionless. It was impossible to tell how much time had passed by, before Catacomb made the first movement. His gun hit the ground with a loud plunk. The scythe soon followed, shattering and vanishing as it landed. The two battered men both fell to a knee, Perry holding his stomach while Catacomb tilted his head back to try and stop the blood.

"Thanks, Ark," both said in unison, coming to terms with how close they actually were to taking each other out this time around. Neither would have actually stopped if he hadn't intervened when he did. Ark responded by putting his knife away and backing up.

"You two are stupid," Ark bluntly said. Both of them knew this to be hard to deny right now, or neither of them would be in the sorry state they were in.

Catacomb grabbed his weapon off the ground and put it away. He slowly got up, his face still red, but not bleeding nearly as bad as before. Perry stared at him, unable to speak to him after what had occurred. If he hadn't lost it, none of this would have happened. In his head, he could feel nothing but guilt.

"Sorry, but I need some time alone." Catacomb turned to leave, but a hand on his shoulder stopped him. He turned, Ark holding him in place. "Yeah?"

"Shining wishes you best of luck," Ark said, relaying his own version of the conversation. Catacomb nodded, though his usual smile was gone, replaced with a solemn stare that held no emotions at all. Perry tried and failed, so all he could do was let his friend try and make the right decision himself now. It was all anyone could do.