• Published 6th Feb 2014
  • 611 Views, 6 Comments

EquestriaCraft: The Beginning - Foxes33



Drake doesn't know how he ended up in a strange world. He recognizes the place, but finds himself in the mysterious game of EquestriaCraft. However, he has no idea how terribly dangerous it is.

  • ...
4
 6
 611

Chapter Three

Slowly they head towards the forest, even though the sun was descending. However the twosome saw that there was enough time to work with. The forest seemed dark and spooky, but Drake knew it was from the trees, but the shade meant the possibility of mobs attacking them.

"Hey Crayton, what about me, I have no weapons."

Crayton laughed, "Don't worry, I am one step ahead. Hope you can manage with stone, I have no more iron."

Drake nodded while Crayton passed him the stone sword. The sword was a little heavy and was certainly not something to swing fast. For a second Drake spread his wings for balance, but adjusted fast. The fast adjustment was abnormal and certainly a weird feeling. The sudden shift felt odd and Drake wasn't use to this kind of stuff.

Is this what happens around here? I know I couldn't have lifted that well, impossible. It has too be something to do with being here. Maybe even because I have been here for almost a day, Drake thought.

Drake put the blade down for a second, "So where are we going?"

"There's a lot of animals in the woods. So I guess just around the house, the thing is I haven't had time to hunt in a while unfortunately," Crayton answered.

Drake nodded and picked the blade back up. His mind pondered the fact that he may still have to eat meat, which was something he wasn't inclined to doing. He then began to follow Crayton into the forest, staying close. He didn't want to get lost and decided to stay near Crayton.

"Anyways, why did you snap at me?" Crayton asked, turning with a curious look upon his face.

"I was just moody, that's all," Drake answered, just addible through the handle of the blade.

Crayton just nodded and kept moving, his blade being held by a sheath. Drake looked at the sheath, he could just make out faintly worn symbols in the leather. Drake couldn't read the letters or understand the symbols. That was when he realized it was Craftian, the language used in the game.

"So Crayton, where do you come from?" Drake asked, putting his blade down for a moment, getting annoyed with talking throw the handle.

"Uhh, it's not important," Crayton asked.

Crayton's tone sounded sad, like it was something hard to talk about. For Drake, Crayton was still a stranger and a strange one at that. It messed with Drake, the weird hospitality was the main thing. Most ponies took a while in the attachment department, but Crayton already seemed a little like a friend. Drake studied the way Crayton looked ahead, not willing to met him eye to eye.

"But it's just seems your sheath has some symbols on it, I am just curious," Drake said in his own defense.

"Well just drop it," Crayton snapped, and kept moving.

Drake just watched Crayton for a second, quite confused. One of the reason being is that one moment Crayton could be outgoing and nice, the next, snappy and rude. Drake could make no sense of it, the behavior of Crayton was just so odd. Instead of persisting, he picked up his sword and quietly followed Crayton deeper into the forest. Drake had no intentions to anger Crayton further by pushing for an answer. There was no talking afterwards, for Crayton obviously didn't want to talk after the question was asked.

I answered his question, why won't he answer mine? Is it too personal, maybe he has bad memories of his former home. I shouldn't push him, that would be stupid and might make him mad, Drake thought.

Drake stayed close, making sure not to lag far behind and get lost in the abundance of darkly colored oaks. They had been walking for a while now and the sun was descending farther and farther down. It made Drake nervous seeing the sun begin to fall from the bright blue sky, for it meant night would soon be upon them. After his first night experience, Drake absolutely didn't want to be out after dark. Most of the time, being afraid of the dark was childish, but in a world like this, one couldn't help, but to fear the night. The images of the two creatures he had encountered were still fresh in his mind and still menacing. The very thoughts bringing shivers to him and gave him a sense of fear. Drake even found that he was looking behind himself a lot, just out of fear the creatures would come. He looked straight ahead and saw Crayton peering around one of the oak trees. His lips thinned out into a smile.

"There is a cow up ahead. I will go first around, if it passes me, kill it," Crayton whispered.

Drake nodded, not wanting to make any noise that could scare the animal away. He watched as Crayton weaved through the trees and out of sight. During the time, Drake decided to take a look at the cow while he waited for Crayton to attack. Carefully he peered around the tree, he felt somewhat scared to. He was scared he would mess up the hunt and scare the cow away, and make Crayton mad. He didn't want to disappoint Crayton or seem like more of a newbie then he already was. He carefully peeked, seeing the black and white pelt of the cow. When Drake continued to look, he saw the cow's innocent eyes looking at him. It just stood and watch, as though it knew. It seemed as though it knew and was begging for mercy.

Slowly Drake retreated from the line of sight, his heart pounding in fear of killing the cow. Even if they desired food, it was just terrible to think of having to kill the innocent creature now. Drake felt nervous and wished that he didn't have to kill the cow. Time seemed to slow for second when he heard the sound of the creature's distress. Drake looked behind the tree and saw a limb black and white body on the ground. He also saw Crayton quickly gathering the body's meat.

"We got her," Crayton called.

Drake gulped and walked out, acting as though he hadn't looked into the cow's innocent eyes. Blood covered the grass in a pool around the cow. Drake figured it wouldn't be like the game where beef just dropped for it was highly unlikely, pus the mobs before had proved the fact. This world was like a more realistic version of the game he loved to play. The terrible smell of blood hit him, making him feel sick. He wasn't use to the smell at all and had hoped never to smell blood. The metallic odor made his stomach ache and created a lump in his throat. Drake of course didn't realized he had gone pale with a nauseated feeling. Just seeing the crimson blood on Crayton's blade made him feel sick. He didn't like any of it one bit and wish he had stopped the deat of the cow.

"Hey, you okay? You look, pale," Crayton asked.

"Huh? Oh, yeah I am fine, just not use to the smell," Drake answered.

"Well that's surprising, since I found you on your own. I presumed you would have had to hunt, you were alone after all," Crayton commented.

Drake didn't say anything and instead quietly waited for Crayton to take the lead home. The sun was still descending and the day was closing. The forest in fact was becoming rather dark, and spooky. The feelings of fear, guilt and regret made Drake feel even more sick. He feared the night, he felt guilty for letting the cow die and he regretted even coming out here.

"Shit, it's getting dark," Crayton muttered in frustration. "C'mon, we should hurry."

Crayton began to move, but Drake still felt a little nauseated from the smell. His head lifted and he saw Crayton starting to move, probably heading back. Drake quickly scurried afterwards, trying to catch up to Crayton. It took a few seconds until he was at Crayton's side. Drake dragged his hooves, slowly keeping up to Crayton. Each step seemed shaky and nervous, as though it would be far too loud, when really it was only the feelings that were storming his mind and tearing away at his thoughts.

"Drake hurry up, the mobs will spawn any minute now," Crayton growled.

Drake looked up and quickly caught up, trying to keep in pace with Crayton. Even though his focused drifted from the last thoughts of the cow and the way it looked at him. It constantly made Drake turn around, hoping it didn't actually die at the end of Crayton's sword. Yet he knew it was hopeless, he had seen the limp body and the blood at the end of Crayton's blade. He kept walking, still looking behind him, until he felt something hit his chest. He turned his head and saw Crayton pushing him backwards.

"Hey, what are-"

"Shhh, there is an enderpony right around this tree," Crayton hissed.

Drake for a moment felt his heart beat speed up. He remembered those scary purple eyes from when he would actually play the game. Enderponies were strong mobs that were quite powerful, mostly because they could teleport. When he played, he feared meeting one at the start of a world, and now in the game, they had to be ten times more terrifying. Drake decided to take a look though, he was curious to see it. Slowly he looked around the corner seeing a tall black figure. The creature's head turned towards them, making Drake jump back behind the tree. He knew what happened if they saw you looking at them. They would get mad and start teleporting around in attempts to kill whatever looked at it.

"Okay listen, these creatures aren't too hostile unless you look at you. Nopony know whys, but their best guess is something with their brains. So look down and don't look at it! One glance and it will go on the attack, so be careful," Crayton explained.

Drake just nodded and watched as Crayton began to move. He studied the way he walked, looking at his hooves and not even straight ahead. He also seemed to try and be quiet also to make sure not to be found. Drake gulped, he was nervous to be walking near the enderpony. They had a dangerous reputation and every gamer knew it too. He watched and saw Crayton's hoof move, telling him to come over to where he was. Drake's neck felt hot, mostly because he was nervous, the last thing he wanted was to be the reason a dangerous mob attacked them! Slowly he looked down and began to move his hooves slowly in the direction of Crayton. His hooves shuffled against the grass, and feeling very nervous at the same time. He glanced up to see how far he was. He wasn't even half way there and it just made him all the much more nervous. Well he didn't pay attention, his hooves tripped over a stick and soon enough he fell to the ground. Drake had seen the stick, but hadn't even realized how much he was shuffling his hooves.

He glanced up to try and find out where Crayton was, but instead found himself staring into purple eyes. Drake yelped and jumped back. The enderpony released a high-pitch screech as it opened its mouth and soon it lowered to an odd twisted noise. Drake's heart pounded, the noise was terrifying coming from the real thing. He quickly got to his hooves and moved away from the menacing creature. As he tried to escape he could already hear combat, turning he saw Crayton fighting the creature. He slashed across the enderpony's chest. The enderpony yowled in pain, swinging it's arms at Crayton. In a frenzy of strikes he watched as Crayton got bashed in the head. Crayton stumbled and got hit again against a large oak tree. Drake pricked his ears and heard Crayton let out a groan of pain. The enderpony seemed please and lifted Crayton up by his right back leg with ease. From Drake's point of view, Crayton looked like a rag doll.

The enderpony opened it's jaws and drew closer towards Crayton's currently limp body. Drake knew he didn't want to see anymore blood for today and could see a drizzle of purple blood on the ground. Drake knew that he couldn't sit their and watch as the enderpony prepared to feast on Crayton. His heart pounded with fear, but he knew he had to kill the creature. With a gulp he ran forward, angling his sword to puncture the enderpony's flesh. With loud steps hitting the ground, Drake charged at the creature in hopes of getting a lucky shot. He closed his eyes, not desiring to see the purple blood splatter across the ground. The creature heard Drake's movements, looked back for a second, but it was too late. The stone sword stabbed into the side of the enderpony. For a brief moment there was a tiny yowl of pain from the creature, until death came knocking. Drake could feel the creature go limp at the end of his stone sword, causing dropped the sword, backing away, and whipping the purple blood off his face.

A pool of purple blood formed around the wound and covered the enderpony's black skin. Purple blood covered the grass and a few unlucky trees that were near the limp body.

I killed it. I killed it, Drake thought, but soon realized that he had actually killed it!

Yet the celebration was short lived when he heard another groan of pain. His head turned and he saw Crayton still on the ground. There was a cut above his eyebrow and it seeped blood. Drake quickly scurried over to Crayton, hovering over him. He was worried, worried that Crayton had gotten hit so hard in the head, that he was amnesia. It was a long shot coming from hitting a tree, but still possible none-the-less.

"You okay?" Drake asked.

"I am fine, just a little hurt, and I have a major headache," Crayton laughed

Drake laughed a little, his smiled widen, he had killed the enderpony and saved Crayton. He felt as though he had redeemed himself from what happened on the first night. It felt good not to feel useless and it made him wish he could do more to help out. Crayton slowly lifted himself off the ground and lifted his sword, putting it in his sheath. Crayton smiled, and looked through the trees.

"Lets get back. Get your sword and we will head back," Crayton decided.

Drake nodded, a wide smile remained on his face and he knew it would for a while. Quickly he grabbed the handle of his blooded sword, pulling it out of the limp body. Carrying it in his mouth as he followed Crayton through the trees. A smile was pierced on Drake's face, he felt proud of himself for saving Crayton. It was as though a favor was given back, since Crayton had saved him before. The rest of the night wasn't nearly as bad. No other mobs attempted to attack them and it was quite nice. They soon got back into the house and Drake began to put everything away.

"I am going to be right back," Crayton said, glancing at Drake for a second.

Drake looked at Crayton and nodded. He still felt proud of himself and was quite tired after the long day. His emotions were somewhat spiraling, from being proud of killing an enderpony to the thoughts of the cow.

"Also clean that blade, it will make a mess. You can use the leather on the crafting table," Crayton added.

He nodded again and watched as Crayton left the house. Drake wasn't sure why he was leaving, but thought nothing of it. he knew sometimes ponies had personal things to take care of. If Drake were to guess, he would guess that Crayton was simply checking the defenses before they slept. Drake stopped pondering the thought and instead he tended to cleaning his blade with an old rag like Crayton had told him. He rubbed off the blood with the slightly damp water. He guessed Crayton had planned to clean his blade also when he got back from whatever he was doing. He decided to wait for him to return and quietly kept working in the small house. For the time being he knew this was also his home, a space where he felt safe.