• Published 4th Feb 2014
  • 1,118 Views, 30 Comments

The Final Push - PropMaster



A war in Equestria comes to a tipping point. With winter closing in, Celestia must make difficult decisions in order to see her kingdom safe and the war ended. The only strategy remaining is a final, concentrated push.

  • ...
6
 30
 1,118

Dependable

“I’m off, sir. Best of luck,” Radiance snapped off a salute and turned to leave.

Glorious Dawn held up a hoof, his mouth opening briefly before closing again. He lowered his hoof slowly and spoke in measured tones, “Be safe, Radiance.”

“You too, Captain… Dawn,” Radiance replied, casting him a small smile over her shoulder as she galloped South.

Glorious Dawn watched her until she disappeared around the edge of a hill, before he turned to look at his ponies. They were gathered together, most lying down and resting, a few checking the bandages of their slightly more worse for wear companions. The group was mostly silent, a few hushed conversations being carried out in places, but for the most part they were taking advantage of the momentary lull. Red Roam stood up and approached Glorious Dawn at a slow pace. “What are our orders?”

“Princess Celestia is going to lower the sun in an hour and a half, and we’ll make our attack with the cover of night. Major Stonewall wants us to reinforce his left flank, and then once we push past the front lines we’re to form a rearguard and cover his unit while they push into the palisades and capture them,” said Glorious Dawn, his eyes drifting away from his lieutenant to look North as he spoke.

Red Roam’s eyes widened and his ears flattened as he glanced towards the imposing earthworks and palisades. “That’s… mighty dangerous. We’re under strength, so if the griffons send reinforcements our way…”

“We’d be in for a fight, yes. There’s a unit of Royal Guard deploying to our immediate West, so they’re likely to draw a lot of attention away from us, but they can’t be relied upon to assist us. They’ve likely got their own orders that they’re following,” stated Glorious Dawn quietly.

“What do we tell the company, Captain?” asked Roam.

“I… I don’t know. We’ve got our part to play in this fight, but to leave an under strength unit behind to act as a rear guard, when they’re the most likely to be hit by reinforcing enemy units?” Dawn shook his head and sat down heavily.

Roam placed a hoof on Dawn’s shoulder. “We’ll be alright.”

Dawn chuckled, his voice tired. “What makes you say that?”

“Because you’ll figure it out. You always have,” Roam replied gently.

Dawn looked up, meeting the red-gold eyes of his lieutenant. “I don’t know why you trust me with such certainty, Roam.”

“Because you’re always honest with the company. Y’ never mince words, always say what you mean. That’s something that I can appreciate,” Roam said with certainty, though a hint of mirth entered his voice as he added, “Though you could stand to be a little less morose, it makes your ponies nervous.”

Dawn chuckled. “You’re the honest one, Roam…” his voice grew quieter, as he continued to speak. “It’s a joy having you here, though I wish we were anywhere else, not fighting for our lives and country.”

“So do I,” Roam murmured, straightening up and looking towards the company of resting ponies. “Want me to lay it out for them?”

“No, no. It’s my duty. Thank you, Red Roam. You are as dependable as always,” said Glorious Dawn as he stood up, straightening his tabard and stretching his legs briefly before trotting towards the company.

Red Roam turned towards the South, listening to Glorious Dawn’s strong voice as he explained the company’s orders to his ponies. His eyes traveled over the curving hills, covered in dusty patches of earth and scrub grass, with the occasional stand of trees adding some green to the land. He glanced up at the sun, noting it’s position in the cloudy sky, and then looked North, above the battlements of his enemy to the ocean. Dark clouds were forming out to sea, but Roam didn’t worry. Rain was always welcome, despite how it slowed down the Equestrian war machine and made everypony miserable. For him, it was a symbol, a covenant between the ponies and the land. It revived and refreshed everything, leaving the land clean. He worked in the rain often, back home. He and Amber.

His eyes moved back to the South, towards the camps and his beloved wife, and he felt a sense of peace. She was out of harm’s way, helping ponies, working hard. In a way, he rationalized, so was he.

“For Equestria,” he murmured beneath a quiet breath, and moved to rejoin the Seventh Canterlot Reserve Company.