• Published 22nd Feb 2014
  • 626 Views, 8 Comments

Pinkie Promises - EurekaStorm



Pinkie Pie must save her friends from their opposites, the bringers of imbalance. Trixie, along with the new elements of victory, must fight to save Equestria and the elements of harmony. Can Pinkie prevail without her ability to laugh?

  • ...
4
 8
 626

Chapter One: Part One: The Funeral

The town of Ponyville was experiencing a particularly grey and cloudy day, despite how bright and sunny the rest of Equestria was. Not a single pegasus dared to kick away the clouds, as it was usually the job of a particular rainbow-maned pegasus, but she wasn’t able to clear the skies today. Or ever again.

All the inhabitants of Ponyville were gathered in the center of town. It might have appeared that there was a festival of some sort going on, except for the dreary tone and the dismal looks on all the pony’s faces. They were there in honor of one of the most loved- and fastest- pony in their town, but it was no happy event. They had gathered to pay their respects to the newly and mysteriously deceased blue pegasus. Her closest friends were surprisingly spread out in the crowd, looking more miserable than anypony else.

Just two days ago the residents of Ponyville watched in horror as Twilight Sparkle carried her friend’s body on her back out of the Everfree Forest, followed closely behind by the other four members of their group. She was instantly rushed to the hospital, but it was too late. Rainbow Dash had been missing since the day before, she had been flying around town earlier in the day and that was the last time anypony had seen her. What was even more mysterious about her death was no pony could say exactly what killed her. When her friends had stumbled upon her body in the forest, after searching all over Ponyville, it was an extremely disturbing sight and the absolute last thing her friends expected to see.

The element of loyalty’s body was limp and laying in an open clearing, surrounded by her own blue feathers scattered about. Her magenta eyes were open, but they were dull and empty, nothing like the bright eyes her friends remembered looking into. However, it was the blood that was really startling, it was just everywhere. Two streaks of blood leading up to her body made Twilight believe that her friend’s body had been moved, but that was the only thing she could make of the situation. Seeing Rainbow Dash in that state had deeply traumatized the group, and the sadness and fear they felt seemed to fill the air at the funeral.

This kind of death was extremely uncommon in the little town and it was affecting everypony, but one pink mare was feeling it worst of all. Pinkie Pie was sitting alone, her usually curly hair had deflated into a straight and stringy mane, and she kept her eyes focused on the ground. She was holding back tears and hadn’t uttered a single word since they had found her friend. Pinkie had, for a very long time now, very strong feelings for Rainbow Dash. She was getting close to telling her how she felt, but Applejack had beat her to the punch. Or, so, it was assumed. Applejack and Rainbow Dash had never admitted their relationship out loud, but everypony knew something more than just “friendship” was going on between the two mares. Since Rainbow Dash had started her daily barn visits with AJ, Pinkie had kept her feelings silent, torturing herself with fantasies that would never come true.

Oh Dashie, she thought to herself.
What in Equestria happened to you? Why… Why did you leave me? I just-

“Pinkie?” A voice interrupted. She looked up to see Applejack staring her in the face, the absolute last pony she wanted to comfort at the moment. She acknowledged her presence, but didn’t say a word.
“Mind if ah sit with yah?”

Again, Pinkie said nothing, but slightly shifted over to indicate it was alright.

“Still not talking’, huh? Ah don’t blame yah, Ah’ve been haven’ a hard time talking’ with all these ponies about her mahself. Ah can’t stand ta see this, t’ain’t proper, the way it all went down. Ah mean she jus’ vanishes one day, no idea where she is, then when we DO find her… What happened to her, Pinkie?! She’s tha toughest pony ah know! Maybe, maybe if we had jus’ gotten there sooner… maybe it woulda… Oh, this is jus’ killin’ me! Ah can’t… Ah can’t believe she’s gone! She jus’ left me! She was mah… mah…” Then Pinkie saw something as unexpected as the death itself, Applejack burst out sobbing.

Pinkie placed a hoof on her friend’s back, feeling guilty for not wanting to even talk to her a moment ago. But, then, a feeling suddenly started creeping into her mind. She was beginning to feel a little envious of the love those two ponies shared. The love from Rainbow Dash that was meant for Pinkie! It should be her that’s openly crying and being comforted by everypony else. It should be…

Wait! She thought.
That’s an awful thing to think! Why did that feeling suddenly take over…?

At that moment, Applejack buried her face in Pinkie’s coat, half sobbing and half muttering nonsensical words and phrases. She was losing it and it was a sight everypony could see, but they politely averted their eyes.

Pinkie felt embarrassed about the thoughts that had filled her head. She tried shaking them out by literally shaking her head, and actually felt a little better. That was until Applejack began speaking distinguishable words again.

“Ah loved her!” She cried.
“Ah loved her so much!”

Hearing those words made the jealous feeling begin to creep up again. Pinkie wanted to shake it away, but she was suddenly hit with a memory of running into Rainbow Dash a few weeks ago. She had invited her to hang out the day before, and had spent a lot of time planning a full day of pranking and having lots of fun. But, Rainbow hadn’t showed up the morning of. Pinkie had waited at Sugar Cube Corner for most of the day and decided by afternoon she should go looking for her, just in case something bad had happened. Rainbow Dash wasn’t at her cloud home or any of her usual napping spots. Nopony had seen her all day either, which made Pinkie worry more. But, just as Pinkie was heading down the trail to Sweet Apple Acres to see if AJ had seen her, there she was! She was clearly leaving the farm and her mane was a mess, complete with straw sticking out of it.

“Rainbow Dash!” Pinkie called to her.
“Where have you been? I’ve been waiting for you alllllll day long!”

“You were? Why were you- Oh. Oh, Pinkie, I’m so sorry, I completely forgot our plans today! I spent the night at Sweet Apple Acres and I, uh, overslept.”

“You overslept to just now? It’s almost dinner time!”

“Uh, yeahhh, I, uh, stayed up really late last night. But I am really sorry, Pinkie. I swear I’ll make it up to you! Next time, we’ll spend the whole day doing whatever you want, okay?”

“Really?! Even if I want to make cupcakes with you??”

“Uh, sure, whatever you want! Promise!” Rainbow was about to fly off, when Pinkie stopped her.

“WAAAIIT! Do you PINKIE promise?!”

“Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye!” She winked.

“Oki doki loki! I can’t wait, see you later Rainbow Dash!” But, Dash had already flown off. And had never said WHAT day this was all going to happen, so it never did.

Thinking back on that day and having to comfort Applejack was starting to make her feel angry. A feeling she rarely experienced. She didn’t like the feeling of it, but she couldn’t help suddenly feeling the urge to push AJ off of her. But, before she could even consider actually doing it, somepony walked into the memorial that caused the entire crowd to go completely silent. She walked cautiously and kept her eyes straight, avoiding and ignoring the stares and whispers that erupted as she passed.

“Why is she here?”
“Didn’t she cause enough trouble last time she was here?”
“Who does she think she is, walking in on a funeral no less!”

Now, she was starting to regret even coming. Maybe she should just turn around and leave…

“TRIXIE!” The voice of just the pony she came to see rang out. She stopped dead in her tracks as the princess stepped right in front of her.

“Twilight!” She seemed almost excited to see her.

“What do you want, Trixie? This really isn’t the time or place for-“

“I know!” Trixie interrupted.
“…I mean, I actually DIDN’T know about…you know. I came here to speak with you, on friendly terms, honest! When I heard… I’m so sorry about your friend, really I am! I wouldn’t have come if I had known…I really didn’t know her, but she didn’t deserve this.”

Trixie was unsure what to say, she hadn’t planned to walk into a funeral.

“Wow, uh, thank you. It really is nice to hear that. But, now is really not the best time for a talk, I’m sure you understand.” She looked rather sternly at the blue unicorn.

“Oh, yes, um, Trixie does understand. You’re probably going through a lot, but Trixie came an awful long way and I don’t really have anywhere else to go, so maybe we could speak later tonight? When you’re ready? If you-“

Trixie stopped as the remaining elements of harmony appeared around Twilight, most of them looking quite angry.

“How DARE you show your face here! You’ve really crossed the line THIS time, you scoundrel!” Rarity shouted.

“Wait! I didn’t mean-“

“Save it! You shouldn’t be here!” Applejack said sternly, having pulled herself together but still had tears in her eyes.

“Stop it!” Twilight told her friends.
“She says she’s here on good terms! Let’s give her a chance, alright? Let her pay her respects, if she wants to. Then,” She looked at Trixie.
“Then you’re welcome to come to the library later for that private talk, ok, Trixie? But, please know, we’ve all suffered a great deal and I’m willing to bet none of us are up for any games today. If you ARE planning something, it would be a large mistake on your part, got it?”

Trixie nodded quickly, but began to feel very small in front of Twilight and her friends. She was beginning to regret this idea yet again.

“Now, you can stay if you like, and I promise no one will treat you unfairly.” She looked directly at Rarity and Applejack for the last part, then turned and walked away from Trixie. The rest of the group, save for one, followed close behind after glaring daggers in Trixie’s direction one last time. Pinkie Pie was the only pony that had stayed and without saying a word, sat herself next to the unicorn.

“What happened to your mane?” Trixie said, finally.

Pinkie said nothing, but sitting next to Trixie kept all the other ponies away from her. Anytime one would start to walk up to the two of them, looking determined to give a piece of their mind over what she had done to Ponyville last time, Pinkie would shoot them a look that would send them packing the other way. The two sat in silence for the rest of the memorial, only Applejack had been brave enough to stop by just enough to let Trixie know they were watching her, but that was the worst of it.

“Thank you,” Trixie whispered, leaning in close to Pinkie Pie.
“I really am so sorry about your friend. I know we don’t know each other that well, or at all really, but this means a lot to Trixie.”

She bit her lip as she gazed around the town. She started to notice just how dark things appeared, especially Twilight and her friends. Not only did that seem off, something more than just mourning sadness, but they also appeared to be losing their colors. They looked slightly… grey?