• Published 2nd Feb 2014
  • 480 Views, 3 Comments

Moonlight Descent - Xeron



Luna has been back from the moon for a few weeks now. Her sister thinks that everything is fine with her now that Nightmare moon is gone but everything, is not quite as it seems.

  • ...
 3
 480

Resemblance

When Celestia had first started her 'apology' Luna felt for sure her sister knew about the dreams. Felt for sure that the next place she was ending up was the moon. But fortunately, or unfortunately, she was utterly confused as to what Celestia was driveling on about, and could only stare slackjawed as her mind tried to compute just what her sister had been saying.

"Luna, are you okay?" She heard her sister ask.

And with that Luna was snapped out of her thoughts and thrown back into cold reality.

"Why yes sister I'm fine, better than ever actually." She replied smoothly. That was a lie if Luna ever heard one, but a necessary lie. Luna always had hated lying to her sister. It always made her feel as though she was betraying a sacred trust, one that should never be broken. But the situation calls for what the situation needs, she supposed.

"Oh...well that's good" Celestia let out a short laugh. "I was really worried for a moment there, I'm glad you accept my apology Lulu. Don't you worry though, I'll make up all that time I was cruel to you soon."

Luna nodded her head with a somewhat strained smile. The reason it was strained was that she had a slight problem with this. That slight problem being she had absolutely no idea what her sister was talking about. Cruel to her? When? It seemed the same as ever to her. Though, once she got past the 'What's going on?' part, she supposed this all worked out in the end. Luna wouldn't have to talk about her... dreams, and Celestia stayed happily unaware. Ignorance is bliss. Luna thought dryly.

"So did you say that you are staying up or are you going back to bed?" Celestia asked her curiously.

"Well I had planed on staying up." Luna replied truthfully. Better this than the alternative...

"I can honestly say I appreciate that. Today has been going just awfully." Her sister groaned out.

Luna giggled at that. Her sister always did enjoy complaining about how her day would go terribly, but Luna knew better. She knew that her sister loved her job, seeing the ponies and hearing their problems. Of course she usually left the fixing of those problems to her, but she didn't mind, it gave her something productive to work on, and it helped take her mind off things. Something which she had desperately needed as of late.

She shivered as memories came back to her. Damn it Luna, what did you tell yourself, put it out of your mind.

"Luna? Are you even listening anymore?." Celestia asked with an amused expression.

"Oh I'm sorry Tia." Luna apologized quickly. "I must have gotten lost in thoughts." Or dreams...

Her sister smirked at her. "Well, I was complaining about the griffons so I can't blame for ignoring me."

Luna cringed when Celestia mentioned the griffons. "Oh what a pain, you had to deal with those emissaries today didn't you?"

Celestia let out a dry chuckle. "Yep, unconstrained amounts of joy that was."

At that moment a servant unicorn, with a pristine white coat, came in through the kitchen door wearing a tuxedo and holding a notepad, ready and eager to take the princesses orders.

"I'll have a daffodil and daisy sandwich please." Luna said to the stallion curtly.

"I believe I will have the 'Xinalani Retreat' cake today." Celestia said with a small hoof wave and a grin on her face.

Luna looked at her sister questioningly. "Chocolate cake? For lunch?"

"What better time for it?" Celestia said, her smile growing even wider.

Luna chuckled softly as she shook her head. Her sister always had a love for cake. Ever since it was first invented she would go out of her way to eat as much of it as possible.No wonder she seems to be so much more...squishy...than I remember. Luna smirked as she thought about how her sister might react if she was to mention it to her. Especially if it was in front of other ponies. Oh if only I could see her face if I said it in front of her student. That would be priceless!

"Ah, and there it is. In record time might I add." Celestia said hungrily. Pulling Luna, yet again, out of her thoughts

"That's quite the impressive cake." Luna mumbled to herself.

And impressive it was, with several layers of milky chocolate and juicy raspberries. Even more impressive than the cake itself was the mare carrying it, along with Luna's food. She was an Earth pony, with a dark blue, almost black coat, and a blue mane. She was quite the sight, looking very professional carrying the food, but the most interesting feature she had were her eyes.

Luna gasped silently when she saw them. Brilliant teal, just like... She forced herself to look down at the table. Terror creeping up in her as the mare got closer. It's nothing to get my tail in a knot over, there are probably dozens of ponies in Equestria that have that same eye color. There is nothing to worry about, now pull yourself together damn it. But despite her inner convincing she could not shake away the fear and unease that was gradually growing inside.

"Luna? Are you alright? Your looking rather uncomfortable."

Luna swiveled her head over to her sister to find her staring at her with concern showing evident on her face. Damn it all, I need to think of something quick! Just then a light bulb clicked on over Luna's head.

"I'm just so terribly hungry, and that sandwich looks so delicious." She said quickly. The mare glanced up at Luna while placing her plate in front of her. As if to say she didn't buy that as an excuse, but then went on to place Celestia's plate down and exit the dinning hall without saying a word.

"Oh! I know how you feel. Sometimes, while waiting for the cake to come, I get so much more hungry than I was before I ordered that I can barely stand the wait! But don't worry your little head, or stomach, the food is now here!"

Luna sighed internally. Not the greatest cover I've ever come up with but, from the looks of it, it did the trick. At least I wasn't completely lying. I do feel fairly hungry. She raised her sandwich, using her magic, and took a bite. Her eyebrows raised in approval. They really manage to outdo themselves down in the kitchen This is fantastic!

Unfortunately for Luna, her thoughts simply could not stay warm for long, especially after such a... peculiar experience. That mare had looked so much like Nightmare Moon. Even the coat and mane were similar! It couldn't mean anything could it? Luna had finished her sandwich and was now staring off into space, contemplating the experience. She decided that it was just a coincidence, and that there was no way it could mean anything. After all, Nightmare Moon was no longer alive. Except for in my dreams. Luna thought sadly.

"My oh my. Those ponies definitely know how to make a good cake!" Celestia exclaimed, her cake half eaten. "And that server was wonderful too! Very professional."

"I suppose she did do a good job." Luna admitted.

"'She' Luna?" Celestia asked quizzically.

"Yes, the mare with the dark blue mane. Remember?"

Celestia giggled. "Luna, I think you've been cooped up in your room for to long. Our server was a white, stallion, the same one who took our orders."

The blood drained out of Luna's face as she stared at her sister, eyes wide and knees beginning to shake.

"W-w-what?" She managed to stutter out. Fear constricting her throat like a noose.

"Why? Is something wrong Luna?" Her sister asked, her head tilted in curiosity.

Luna abruptly stood, knocking her chair over with a loud bang.

"N-no of course n-n-not. I j-just remembered that I wanted to g-go to the library after breakfast. Silly me for forgetting." Luna let out a nervous laugh. Eyes darting back and forth as if to see if anyone could be watching from the shadows.

"Well s-see you later!" She forced out before rushing away. Leaving a very confused sister behind her.

Celestia stared in the direction her sister dashed off in before looking down at her plate, contemplation written on her face. "I wonder what's gotten into her?" She thought out loud.

Author's Note:

This is the first chapter in which I used the word, "Their", take of that what you will.