• Published 2nd Feb 2014
  • 480 Views, 3 Comments

Moonlight Descent - Xeron



Luna has been back from the moon for a few weeks now. Her sister thinks that everything is fine with her now that Nightmare moon is gone but everything, is not quite as it seems.

  • ...
 3
 480

Nightmares


"Why do you run from me my little pet?" That familiar chilling voice purred out in the dark. " Why do you hope when there is none?"

Hearing that voice just made her try and run faster, breath coming out in short, jagged gasps, blood pumping faster then ever. By now she didn't even know how long she had been running for. It could have been minutes, hours, maybe even weeks since she started. She knew wouldn't be able to go on much longer though. Her legs felt as heavy as bricks, every single step made her want to collapse on the ground and give up. The adrenaline and fear, the only things that were still keeping her going, were making her head so dazed and foggy that she couldn't make out anything in front of her. There may not of even been anything in front of her. It could have all just been darkness, endless, pointless darkness, but it didn't matter anymore, she had to force herself to keep running. She couldn't get caught. She couldn't.

"Just a little bit longer." She thought "Just a bit more and maybe... just maybe I'll finally be out of her reach... maybe I can stop soon."

That same terrifying voice chuckled darkly into her ear. Her blood froze to ice at the sound of it. She could feel its warm breath on the back of her neck, could feel its body looming threateningly close to her own. Could feel the burning rage it held inside hungry to consume her. Its presence made her stumble but she was able to catch herself, barely, and continued galloping with renewed vigor. It was so close to her, and she had to get away.

A nasty crack filled the night air as she tumbled over. No! Had she tripped on something? Had the nightmare caught her? Her mind was spinning far too wildly for her to properly tell. All she was able to do was lay there for a few moments, gasping for air, trying to force her thoughts in order.

"No" Her thoughts were tired and woozy. "I can't give up. Its to close to me, I have to keep running"

She tried to stand up and keep going but her legs just couldn't support her any more. Every time she made a move to stand she would end up collapsing back onto the ground in a panting mess. She simply could not go on any more. Resigning to her fate she closed her eyes and curled herself into as tiny of a ball as she could, waiting for her hunter to pounce upon her. But nothing came. She tentatively opened her eyes again to find... nothing. Raising her head cautiously she slowly looked around. Curious and frightened as to were the nightmare could have disappeared to. But it seemed that her pursuer was nowhere to be found.

She let out a long sigh of relief. It was over, she had escaped. Though just because it wasn't upon her now didn't mean it couldn't catch up. With a grunt she tried to force her legs straight. Although it was painful and difficulty she was able get back up on her hooves and tiredly walk away. Who knew what direction she was going in, all that mattered was that she distanced herself as far away from this place as possible.

Then she felt something, or heard something, or maybe even smelled something but no matter what the cause she decided to look back. One more time, just to be sure. She turned her head expecting to see an empty void and found her vision filled with two glowing teal eyes, insane glee dancing madly inside them.

"Going somewhere, my dear?"


Luna shot straight up in her bed. A silent scream caught deep in her throat. Panting and covered with sweat in the center of her torn bed, thrashing her head around wildly to see where she was and where the nightmare had gone. As her thoughts became clearer and she started to really examine at her surroundings, she came to the realization that she was in her room in Canterlot, and the nightmare that haunted her was nowhere to be seen.

She closed her eyes and held herself for a moment, focusing on controller her breathing and trying to block out the most recent terror. It was just a dream. Just a simple, meaningless dream. All ponies have them, and sometimes they happen to turn into nightmares. Everypony has a nightmare at some point. It was just a dream. Just a dream. She still couldn't hold back the choked sob that escaped her throat. These nightmares... they were so real.

To real. She thought as a few tears ran down her face. This was only the latest in a seemingly unending series of night terrors. Every time she tried to sleep she would hear that terrifyingly seductive voice, every time she closed her eyes she would see that hauntingly beautiful face... She could barely handle the feelings it stirred in her anymore.

On one hoof she knew what would happen if the nightmare ever caught her. The pain and suffering it would inflict upon her, especially after losing twice in a row, would be hundreds of times more terrible than any pain Luna could've ever felt before. But at the same time, whenever it spoke the voice would be so...soothing, like a loving mother singing a lullaby to her foal. Just hearing those hypnotizing musical tones would make Luna want to give in, to let herself be taken.

She shivered as she wiped her tears. She had to ignore it. She needed to make herself forget. Needed to find something to distract her, anything. Taking a moment to glance at her clock she realized she had only been sleeping a few hours. It was only a little before noon... She let her head droop down in exhaustion. Just like most other days, the nightmares she had would constantly keep her from obtaining the precious sleep she craved.

Maybe I should just go back to bed? Try to get some sleep until tonight? Then the nightmarish visions from the dream came back to her and a chill went up her spine. No, no I can't to go back to sleep. Not if the only thing that waits for me there is....her . Making her decision she stepped out of bed and took a quick survey of its condition.

She grimaced slightly as she realized how bad it was. Her blankets were ripped and torn in multiple places and the sheets were definitely ruined. She would have to get new ones. Damn, this will be the sixth time. Celestia is going to start noticing that I keep requesting new sheets and blankets. She hadn't told her sister about her nightmares yet. She was to afraid of what reaction a confession like that would bring. Would she sweep the problem aside and ignore her, tell her that she was being overly dramatic and that they were nothing but a few bad dreams? Or would would she take it seriously? Perhaps even.... to seriously?

No. She thought firmly. She would never send me back to the moon. She promised, and she never breaks her promises.

Luna glanced at the clock again. Speaking of her sister... This was about the time she would be eating lunch. Perhaps Luna could go and eat with her. If she was going to be staying up she might as well get breakfast over with now.

Nodding her head in confirmation of her plan she walked over to her bathroom to tidy up, stepping over many books and papers. As soon as she been freed from Nightmare Moon the first things she had requested her sister for were books. History, fiction, poetry, all types of books now resided in her room, and she was beginning to amass quite the collection. All her shelves were totally filled and the floor was now housing the excess. Aside from the reading table, a few chairs, and her bookshelves the room was fairly barren of extra furniture.

Her bathroom, despite it being for a princess and therefore being somewhat bigger than the norm, wasn't anything special. It was actually rather opposite to her main room. Where as that room was filled to the brim, the bathroom was rather bleak and had only a few perfume bottles and shampoos making up its commodities. Luna had never cared about pampering herself with such things, so the only make-up she had was given to her as a gift from her sister.

As Luna looked into her mirror her eyebrows raised in some amusement. Her hair has in a complete state of chaos. It looked like Discord had just escaped and used all of his powers specifically on it. Not surprising given how much she...

Luna shook her head to force those thoughts out. She couldn't think about that. She had to keep it out of her mind. But it's so hard She thought bleakly. Luna shook her head again. She had better and more important things to do than mull about her nightmares. First and foremost being an attempt to fix her hair.

Author's Note:

If anyone who reads this see's an error or something that doesn't make sense put a comment up telling me that I fucked up so I can fix it kay? On an unrelated note did you know that Untill is actually spelled Until? Cuz I didn't, and it's kinda embarrassing.