• Published 31st Jan 2014
  • 4,433 Views, 143 Comments

The Joke's on Equestria - Grey Ghost



The dark master Piedmon has entered Equestria and seeks to conquer it. A Displaced story with an extended cast.

  • ...
23
 143
 4,433

Daring Do And The Temple Of Love

“Pretty nice day out, yeah?” Isaac asked, riding on Starlight’s back. They were on a shopping trip, picking up a few supplies.

“The weather crew does great work,” Starlight agreed, smiling back at him. “It’s a nice and peaceful day.”

“So what are we getting again?”

“A little bit of this and that,” Starlight said. “A lot of what we’re getting is food related. You guys eat like you have black holes for stomachs.”

“Heh...” he chuckled, rubbing the back of his head, “We’re a boon to the economy.”

“That’s one way to look at things,” Starlight replied with a giggle. He laughed with her, a bright smile on his face. After they stopped laughing, they noticed Alex and Trixie approaching them.

“Sup?” Isaac asked, waving at them.

“Hey guys,” Alex said in a chipper tone. “And something big is actually up. Isn’t that right, Trix?”

“That it is Alex!” Trixie smiled, putting her hoof on his head.

“Mind sharing what has the two of you so happy?” Starlight asked with a smile.

“Well during our move we did some soul searching and we came to a very important conclusion.”

“We realized that we work so well together that we ended up becoming an item,” Alex finished, putting an arm around Trixie. “And since you two are such good friends, we knew we needed to tell you first.” He concluded with a grin aimed at Starlight and Isaac.

“Congrats!” Starlight beamed. Isaac’s reaction was a bit different, his jaw dropped as he looked between the two.

“Wha? But… huh?” He asked, unable to articulate his thoughts. Alex just winked at him, pulling Trixie into a kiss. Trixie happily returned it while Isaac’s confusion shifted to irritation. “Get a room.” Isaac snorted, turning his nose up at them.

“Oh Isaac, don’t be a prude,” Starlight admonished. “It’s just a little sign of affection.” He just rolled his eyes, grumbling softly. “I think it’s great that you two are together,” she told them, ignoring Isaac’s attitude. “You make a wonderful couple.”

“Thanks Star, means a lot.” Alex smiled, pulling away from Trixie.

“Don’t mention it,” she waved off. “I’m just giving my honest opinion.”

“Out shopping?” Trixie asked, fixing her hat.

“Yup, I was just out getting more food and then some odds and ends. And as always, Isaac instantly offered to be my helper for the day. He’s such a good friend.”

“Ryudamon didn't come?” Trixie asked, looking behind them.

“He said that he wanted to train with Hackmon so he could reach champion for the next battle,” Isaac explained.

“They'll get it,” Alex chuckled, “Anyway, we should get going, it's parents’ day at the school.”

“I hope you two put on a wonderful show for those foals,” Starlight offered, a bright smile on her face.

“Oh you know we will.” Alex winked, climbing onto Trixie's back. “Have fun shopping!” Trixie galloped off, Alex letting out a whoop from atop her back.

“I think those two are cute together, what about you?” Starlight asked, turning back to Isaac with a smile.

“They work,” he agreed, glaring after them, “Come on, we have a lot of stuff to buy.”

“You’re right,” she said, trotting into the market. He sighed, holding onto her, staring up at the sky. “Is something on your mind?” she asked, slowing down and looking back at him.

“Hm?” He asked, looking at her, “Nah, I'm okay, Star.”

“Okay, if you say so,” she said with a small frown. “Just know that I’m always here to listen to what you have to say.”

“Thanks Star, I'll keep that in mind.”

“I can’t let my favorite shopping buddy get depressed, after all,” she told him, rubbing his head. He smiled, perking up at the contact.

“You’re a great friend Star.”

“Thanks, and so are you,” she said, going back to look for their first stall. “Doing things like this with you have made Twilight’s lessons a lot easier to learn.”

“Really? I didn't know that.” He was genuinely surprised and it brought a blush to his face.

“Of course,” she said, continuing to trot along. “It’s a lot easier to learn a lesson about friendship when you’re constantly hanging out with your closest friend.”

“Heh, guess that's true...” he agreed, rubbing the back of his head.

“Heh, you really need to learn to take a compliment, you’re as red as a tomato,” she teased, poking his cheeks.

“Hey come on.” He pushed her hoof away, frowning at her.

“Alright, I’ll stop,” she told him with a giggle. “Now, let’s get started with our shopping.”

“Where are we going first?” He waved to a few passing ponies, giving them a friendly smile.

“We’re starting with the apples and working our way down alphabetically,” she replied.

“We go through a surprising amount of apples.”

“Well, Sweet Apple Acres grows some really good apples,” she said. “And we go through a lot of food, not just apples.”

“Good thing Twilight is rich, huh? We’d have to hunt for our food if she wasn't.”

“Or you’d have to plant a little garden and grow your food,” Starlight offered.

“I can't garden. Cacti would die under my care, Star! Cacti!!”

“...You have the polar opposite of a green thumb,” Starlight commented. “I guess it’s a good thing we don’t have any plants to take care of back at the castle.”

“You're totally right, that or it'd get caught up in one if Twi’s experiments and turn into Plant 42.”

“What the hay is Plant 42?” she asked with a tilt of her head.

“It's a fictional plant mutated by a virus. When the virus leaked out it infected some kind of plant, which grew to control most of a guard house. It had huge vines that would wrap up prey and suck them dry of blood.’

“Well… that certainly sounds… interesting,” Starlight said carefully

“They called it Plant 42 because it was located at point 42 of the Spencer Estate.”

“That’s certainly one way to name something,” she said with a chuckle. “Remind me not to start a garden with you. I’d rather not have a blood sucking plant coming after me.”

“No biggie, I'll keep ya safe Star.” He smirked, puffing his chest out.

“I’m sure you would,” she said, giggling and poking his chest, causing him to release the breath he was holding in. “You could just turn into Flamedramon and burn it to a crisp.”

“That reminds me, I really have to find the rest of those digi-eggs.”

“Hmm, I can only imagine where they’d be,” she said, tapping her chin in thought.

“Probably some convenient location we’ll visit at some point.”

“Heh,” Starlight said. “We could always go looking for one once we’re done in the market.”

“We should see if DD wants to come,” he suggested, sliding off her back, “She hasn't left the castle in weeks.”

“She’s pretty paranoid about getting recognized,” Starlight commented. “I’m sure an adventure out in the untamed wilds of Equestria where she can cut loose is just what she needs.”

“Let's get the shopping done, then!” He put on a confident air, walking into the market. She followed after him, a bright smile on her face as they went through the shopping. A few hours later, the two of them were loaded up with food and supplies, heading back to the castle.

“Hey DD! You still here!?” He shouted out, carrying in bags.

“Hmm, is there something you need?” Daring asked as she trotted into the room, not wearing her normal adventuring gear..

“Wanna go on an adventure?” Isaac asked, sporting a massive grin.

“Sure,” Daring said with a grin of her own. “I’ve been cooped up in here way too long. I need a good adrenaline rush.”

“Just help us put this stuff away first, yeah?” he asked, walking into the kitchen. She nodded, and trotted in behind him. Ten minutes later, and the last bit of food was put away.

“Alright, now, we need a map.” Isaac hopped into a chair, looking at the two.

“That’s easy enough to get,” Daring said. “I’ve got a collection of maps in my room. Just tell me where you want to go.”

“See that's the thing...” he rubbed the back of his head, “We have no idea where we’re going.”

“Okay then, I’ll just pick out a few maps and you can pick a direction you want to travel,” Daring said with a sigh and walked out of the room.

“She seemed annoyed.”

“Probably because she’s used to having a more planned out adventure,” Starlight offered. “She’s not used to aimless wandering.”

“Now I feel like a jackass.”

“You shouldn’t feel like a jackass,” Starlight assured him, rubbing his head. “I’m sure you can think of possible places for the eggs based on where they were in the show.”

“Yeah see, that's the thing.” He frowned, crossing his arms. “The digital world never really had a map, nor does its layout make any real sense.”

“Okay, but can you describe what the places the eggs were found in looked like?” Starlight asked. “They might be in similar places here. Like, you said you found the digiegg of courage in a cave, was it found in a cave on the show?”

“Actually, yeah it was.” Isaac blinked. “So... you got an offshore oil rig or a flying base?”

“Well, I think Twilight said something about Blueblood having a giant airship and there’s a group of scientists that have a research lab in the middle of the ocean.”

“The hell are they researching? Super intelligent sharks? Can't be anything good.”

“I think it was something about the migration and mating patterns of a rare species of whale,” Starlight said. “Twilight could probably tell you more.”

“We’ll do that later,” he dismissed, shaking his head, “She’ll try to highjack the trip and get all passive aggressive if we tell her it’s just us going.”

“Fine, I guess we can make do without my fusion partner,” she said with a shrug. “So, any other ideas of places we could find the eggs?”

“Friendship was found in a hole next to a cliff, Love was found in a temple, Sincerity was found near a lake, Knowledge was also a temple, Hope and Light were in a cave together, I got no idea where to find Kindness... and Destiny was unleashed by two mega digimon.”

“Well there’s no shortage of ancient temples if the Daring Do books are anything to go by,” she said. “Maybe Daring knows one dedicated to a love and or knowledge deity that might house the egg.”

“Nah, can't be that easy.” He frowned. “Unless those weird, formless data beings decided to influence your world further.”

“Well, Willy and Rico had temples dedicated to them,” she reminded him. “It’s worth a try to research this further.”

“True...” he nodded, looking up as Daring walked back in. “Heh, you look excited.”

“I haven’t seen any action for some time,” Daring replied as she placed the maps onto a table. “I need to get out there and stretch my legs and wings.”

“I feel ya.” Isaac looked over the maps, explaining everything to Daring.

“Hmm, temples devoted to knowledge and love that have eggs in their mythology,” Daring said, rubbing her chin with a hoof. “I think I’ve heard something about that.”

“Seriously?” Isaac stared at her, sighing. “Whatcha got for us, Indy Pony?”

“Well, if I remember my legends correctly, there’s an old Zebafrican story about a shaman who discovered an odd egg. She channeled power through it and solved the love problems of various villages. A temple was eventually built in her honor. I think I actually remember the symbol of the temple.” She grabbed a nearby quill with her wing and drew a symbol on a scrap of paper.

“Yup... that's the symbol for Love.” Isaac nodded, looking at the paper.

“Then it looks like we’re off to Zebafrica,” Daring said. “Finally! A change of pace from all the Mareyan artifacts I’ve had to chase!”

“I can probably fly us there quick too.” Isaac smirked, cracking his knuckles.

“Let’s get going,” Starlight said. “I’m interested in seeing what you’ll look like when you use this egg.”

“You and me both.” He hopped off his chair, heading to.the door. The two mares followed after him, excited for the journey ahead.


“I'm really glad you could come,” Flint whispered to Trixie and Alex. The trio were in the back of the classroom with the other parents and schoolmates, waiting for their turn. At the front were Diamond Tiara and her father, Filthy Rich, who was giving an easy to understand breakdown on how to run a store.

“We wouldn’t miss this for anything,” Alex whispered back, ruffling his mane.

“I agree, we had to make sure you had the best presentation of the class,” Trixie whispered. Flint smiled, sitting up straight.

“It’s a good thing we’re going last, otherwise the other parents would pale in comparison.”

“Just remember, the gems are going ahead of us,” Trixie reminded, ruffling his mane.

“Yeah, but Willy and Rico’s more impressive forms won’t fit in the classroom,” Alex said. “Plus, I don’t think Cheerilee would appreciate them bringing weapons in.”

“I trust they'll act like responsible adults.”

“Same, but I wonder what they’ll say they do for a job. They can’t exactly reveal their connection to DD.” Alex noted.

“We’ll just have to wait and see,” Trixie informed, gesturing for them to quiet down. Filthy Rich finished his presentation with a confident smile. The foals clapped weakly and looked bored from the presentation.

“Thank you, Mr. Rich,” Cheerilee said with a smile. “That was a very informative presentation.”

“Thank you Ms. Cheerilee.” Filthy smiled, grabbing his poster board and walking to the back of the classroom, Diamond in tow. “Okay, Cinnabar, I believe you are next.”

“Yay!” Cinnabar galloped up to the front, dragging Willy behind her.

“Alright, Cinnabar, the room is yours,” Cheerilee said. “You have ten minutes to make your presentation.”

“Ready?” She asked, looking up at Willy.

“Of course I’m ready,” he replied, one of his figurines appearing in his hands. “I’m Willy everybody, and I’m the warrior of fire.”

“Hi Mr. Willy!” The kids replied.

“Now, unlike Mr. Rich, I don’t have charts about running a store. But I do have a story. Who wants to learn a little history?”

“What kinda history?” Pipsqueak asked, tilting his head.

“History of a time before Equestria was founded. And when ten warriors of the elements protected the world from evil.” They muttered in agreement, looking at him. Will went on to tell the story of the ten warriors, the foals hanging onto his every word. He concluded with the final battle against Lucemon

“What happened to him?” Twist asked, leaning forward in her seat.

“He was sent away, into the space between space known as the void,” Willy answered.

“Is he still there?”

“Yup, he’s still there,” Willy assured them. A collective sigh of relief passed through the foals before they bombarded him with questions. “Hey, hey, one at a time,” he said with a chuckle. “Now, raise those hooves and I’ll pick you.” Nearly all the hooves shot up and Willy picked a foal.

“Did you meet any ancient ponies?”

“Yeah, I was a big deal among the Mareyans,” Willy explained. “They even built a temple in my honor.”

“Whoa...” Willy beamed at the attention and picked out another foal.

“Are the other warriors gonna come back too?” Willy frowned a bit at that one.

“No, it’s just the warrior of light and me left. But we have been gathering their spirits,” he told them.

“What was it like being spirits?” Rumble asked, “Did you dream?”

“Um, kinda,” Willy said. “I can’t exactly remember the dreams though. Just little bits and pieces.”

“What were they?”

“Uh… just hanging out with the other warriors,” he said with a nervous chuckle. “Stuff like that.”

The foals asked a few more questions before Cheerilee sent them back and called up Gagate and Rico.

“Hello everyone, my name is Rico. And like Willy who came up before me, I’m a warrior. Though my element is light.”

“Did you sleep like Mr.Willy?” a foal asked.

“That’s right, I was woken up from the temple dedicated to me a few months ago,” Rico answered.

“Are you gonna keep the bad Digimon away?”

“Of course,” Rico said, his figurines appearing in his hands. “It’s my duty as a warrior to keep the innocent safe.” The foals bombarded him with questions, which he answered to the best of his abilities.

“Alright class, Rico and Gagate’s time is up. I’m sure they’d be happy to answer more of your questions after school,” Cheerilee chimed. The class as a whole whined, not pleased by that.

“Sweetie Belle! I do believe it's our turn!” Rarity smiled, trotting to the front.

“Yeah!” Sweetie Belle chirped. “I’m sure you can wow the class too.”

Flint barely payed attention to the next few presentations, more worried about his own. He fiddled with his cape, unable to sit still. Alex placed a hand on his head, smiling down at him.

“Hey, you got nothing to worry about. This’ll be great,” Alex assured him in a hushed tone. Flint smiled back, nodding his head. “Now pay attention, your mom is watching. You don’t wanna get in trouble with her, do you?” Flint shook his head, staring at the front of the classroom. The presentations continued until Flint was called up to the front. Trixie and Alex followed him up, smiling at the class. Flint took a breath, introducing the two of them.

“Hello class, I am Trixie,” the showmare said.

“And I’m Alex!” The Impmon smirked, posing for the class.

“And we are a duo of magicians,” Trixie added. “We used to travel Equestria but now we are working on building a theatre to make Ponyville our prime performance site.”

“And of course, Flint here makes us a trio!” Alex smiled, gesturing for Flint to speak up. Flint gulped, looking at the class with a shy smile.

“W-well, I’m just learning what my mom and dad teach me. But they have let me be in a couple of their shows. It’s fun,” he said, kicking at a spot on the floor.

“Today, we’re going to put on a little mini show for you!” Alex declared, sharing a smile with Trixie. The foals all let out a collective “ooh” and leaned forward in their seats.

“Hmm, I think you’ll need to make a costume change, Alex,” Trixie noted.

“I believe you are correct my dear! Impmon digivolve to! Wizardmon!” He posed, leaning on his staff. “Ta da!” The foals looked on in interest and let out a collective “ooh”.

“Perfect!” Trixie cheered, striking a pose of her own. “Now, let’s begin our show!”

“How about you start us off, Flint?” Alex asked, smiling down at him.

“Um…” Flint gulped again, looking out at his class. “Okay.” He struck a hesitant pose and flared his cape. He then reached into a hidden pocket of the cape and pulled out a bouquet. He tossed the fake flowers into the class.

Sweetie Belle blinked, having reflexively grabbed them in her magic.

“Excellent,” Trixie said. “Now, onto a display from Alex and I. Alex, start us up!”

Alex held his staff in the air, each tip on the sun erupting into a small flame. He waved it around, creating brief after images. Trixie lit up her horn, levitating the flame off of Alex’s staff and manipulating it into several shapes.

Alex tossed his staff toward the students, exploding it into a shower of candy. The foals cheered, scooping up the candy as fast as they could.

“Didn’t I tell you to make the treats nutritious?” Trixie admonished, glaring playfully at him.

“Candy isn't nutritious?” He tilted his head, looking confused.

“...No, I gave you notes on this,” she said, sighing overdramatically and shaking her head. “What am I going to do with you?”

“Hire a tutor?” Trixie rolled her eyes, shaking her head again.

“Perhaps we should just move onto the grand finale for today?” she asked.

“Sounds good. Are you ready Flint?”

“Yeah, let’s do this,” Flint said with a hesitant nod. Alex nodded, conjuring up a new staff Trixie struck a pose, her horn glowing brightly. Flint posed between them, holding his chin up. The glow from Trixie’s horn grew and engulfed the trio.

They burst into a cloud of butterflies, vanishing from sight. The class let out a gasp of surprise.

“Hey, where are you all looking?!” Alex said, poking his head in through the window. They all turned, looking at him wide eyed. “Well, since our show is over, who wants to play on the playground? Work off all that candy you fillies and colts just ate. Whaddya say, Cheerilee?”

“I think that's a great idea,” she agreed with a smile, “What do you think kids?” They all cheered and rushed out the door to the playground. They surrounded the trio and started bombarding them with questions.

“Willy, Rico, can I talk to you two please?” Cheerilee asked, moving back to her desk. The two exchanged a look before standing in front of her desk.

“Is something up, Miss Cheerilee?” Willy asked.

“I hope it’s nothing but...” she bit her lip, glancing at her drawers.

“But what?” Rico asked. “Is something up with Cinnabar and Gagate?”

“Oh no, they've been sweethearts, if a little strange.” She reached into her desk, pulling out a folder, passing it to them. “These started to appear around the school a few days ago...” she frowned. “I found one on my desk this morning.” Willy picked up the folder and looked through it.

“Huh, what the hell is all this?” he questioned. The folder contained a multitude of threatening letters, demanding Cheerilee expel Flint, Cinnabar and Gagate. Rico looked at the letters and frowned.

“Did you see the one who left these letters?” he questioned.

“Sadly, no.”

“Why would someone want Flint, Cinnabar and Gagate expelled?” Willy asked, smoke coming from his clenched hands as he looked at the letters. “They’ve never done anything to anybody.”

“Does anyone else know?” Rico asked, clenching his fists.

“I haven’t told anypony, but who knows if anypony else has found the letters before I did,” she told them. “All I know is, I won’t give in to this demand. I won’t deny any foal an education.”

“Have they threatened you?” Rico asked.

“Not directly, no,” Cheerilee said. “But there are veiled threats in there.”

“We have to talk to Twilight about this,” Rico informed her.

“Please do,” Cheerilee said with a nod. “She would be able to investigate this better than I could.”

“Thanks for telling us, Cheerilee.” Willy nodded, placing the folder under his arm.

“You needed to know, I’d hate if somepony started targetting you or the foals,” Cheerilee said. Rico nodded,walking to the window, looking out at the playground. Flint, Cinnabar, and Gagate were playing with a small group of foals. All of them looked happy.

“I swear to you, Cheerilee.” He turned back to her. “I won't let a thing happen.”

“I know you won’t,” she told him with a smile. “And I’ll tell you more as soon as I see or hear something suspicious.”

“Stay safe, alright?” Willy said as he stepped through the door.

“Don’t worry, I will notify you or the princess as soon as even a hint of danger is near. Plus, I can take care of myself,” she assured him. He nodded, and the two warriors headed outside. Cinnabar noticed Willy approaching and flew over at him, latching onto the top of his head.

“Tag! You’re it!” she giggled, jumping off the top of his head and flying off to the group of foals she had been playing with.

Willy smirked, passing the folder to Rico before he chased after her. Cinnabar blew a raspberry at him, hovering just out of his reach.

“I'm gonna get you!”

“How ya gonna do that?” she taunted, doing a little loop. “I’m up here and you’re down there.” He rubbed his chin before leaping up, tapping her leg. “Aww,” she pouted. “Now I’m it.”

“Ain't gonna get me!” He dropped to all fours, leaping onto the jungle gym. She followed after him, dive bombing the jungle gym.

“I’ll get you!” she proclaimed. He just laughed, staying out of her reach.


Daring led the group through a jungle, hacking away at the thick vines with a machete. The air was filled with the calls of various birds and other animals as they walked through the untamed land.

“Is the jungle always so crowded?” Ryudamon asked, trudging along at the tail end of the group. He had caught them sneaking off and insisted he come along to protect Starlight.

“This is what happens when there are no earth ponies around to regulate growth,” Daring chimed in. “Plus, the zebras like the untamed nature, it makes gathering ingredients for their medicines and mixtures a lot easier.”

“I gotta tell ya... I hate the jungle...” Isaac grumbled, wiping sweat from his forehead

“Hey, we’re out here so we can collect one of those eggs you’re looking for,” Daring reminded him. “We can just go back to the castle if you want.”

“And have wasted the past two days? No thanks.”

“Then you can stand to be a little uncomfortable. Or I could always go up and get a little rain cloud going for you.”

“It's fine.” He waved her off, sighing.

“On the bright side, we have to be getting close,” Daring said. “I’ve noticed that the foliage has started to thin out a little.”

“That's good, it's pretty hot...” Starlight shook her head, panting a little.

“Yeah, I’ve kinda gotten used to tropical climates and deserts,” Daring said with a shrug. “The heat doesn’t bother me much.”

“Lucky filly...” Starlight muttered, taking a gulp from her canteen.

“I’d kill to be a Frigimon right now,” Isaac grumbled, wiping his brow. “Then we’d all be staying cool right now.”

“Frigimon freeze everything around them though,” Ryudamon commented.

“And?” Isaac asked, taking a deep drink from his canteen. “...Actually, you make a good point. Ugh, there’s no winning with this place.” Ryudamon smirked, wagging his tail. “What’s with that smirk?” Isaac asked with a frown.

“You said I had a good point.”

“Don’t let it go to your head ya wannabe samurai,” Isaac told him.

“Hey! I'm not a wannabe!” Ryudamon protested.

“Uh huh, keep telling yourself that,” Isaac said, chuckling.

“Isaac, don't taunt the poor digimon.” Starlight frowned, looking back at them.

“Yes Starlight,” Isaac replied with a sigh. Ryudamon chuckled, sticking his tongue out. Isaac gritted his teeth, but ignored the other digimon.

“You two done?” Daring asked, raising her eyebrow.

“I’m done,” Isaac said. “Let’s just focus on finding the egg.”

“How long until the temple?” Ryudamon whined, looking around.

“We should be there soon,” Daring assured him, slicing through some more vines. She paused, shushing them. “There's somepony ahead.” They all braced themselves, Isaac and Ryudamon putting themselves at the head of the group in case the worst happened.

“This better be the right temple, strippy,” Mummymon spoke, his voice coming into earshot.

“Seriously, Mummymon and Arukenimon?” Isaac said with a hushed groan. “Ugh, I should’ve brought Jethro with us.”

“Friends of yours?” Daring whispered, spreading her wings.

“They fought us when we were on our way back from getting the water spirits,” Isaac told her.

“Lemme guess: they're stronger than you?”

“Yeah, they’re ultimates and the highest I can reach is champion. If Jethro was here, I’d be even with them. I dunno if I can reach ultimate on my own. I might be stuck on the same evolutionary path as Veemon from the show.”

“What about you?” She looked at Ryudamon.

“I haven’t reached champion yet,” Ryudamon admitted. “If it comes down to it, I may be able to push past that, but I don’t know.”

“Oh this is just perfect...” Daring sighed, facehoofing.

“And Isaac didn’t want Twilight to come along so I’m without my fusion partner,” Starlight said, gulping.

“Yes, that's my bad, now can we please come up with a plan?” Isaac pleaded.

“Isn’t it obvious?” Daring asked. “We get into the temple before them, grab the egg, and get out before they even know it’s gone.”

“Alright then Indiana, lead the way,” Isaac responded, rolling his eyes.

“Stay close, Short Round,” Daring said with a smirk, continuing through the jungle.

“...What?” Isaac blinked, dumbfounded by her retort.

“I had Willy explain the movies to me,” she told him with a smirk. “Now I can keep up with you when you reference them.”

“Jerk...” Isaac muttered, following after her. Her smirk grew wider as she led them through the jungle. After another twenty minutes, they came upon a large, stone temple.

“Should I teleport us inside?” Starlight asked quietly.

“Do it, we’re short on time,” Daring said. Starlight nodded, teleporting them into the temple. “Okay everyone, the egg is most likely in a central chamber. Stay close to me in case we run into traps.”

“Traps?” Ryudamon inquired.

“Yeah, ancient civilizations loved putting up traps to protect their artifacts of power,” Daring explained. “Though some used less than others. I don’t have much experience with Zebra ruins, so I’m not sure what to expect.”

“I doubt you expected us,” Arukenimon spoke from behind them.

“Oh great, the world’s greatest argument for couple’s therapy,” Isaac groaned. “You caught up with us.”

“We were just taking a stroll through the jungle, it’s nice this time of year isn't it? Mummymon asked.

“Look, we all know why you’re really here,” Isaac said. “Now, I know this is going to be hard for you, but stop playing dumb.”

“I truly doubt that,” Arukenimon chuckled, producing another shadow orb.

“You think that a digiegg bearing a crest on it might be here,” Daring said.

“Are we really that transparent?” Mummymon asked, throwing off his disguise

“The two of you could replace windows you’re so transparent,” Isaac deadpanned.

“You have a big mouth you know that?” Arukenimon dropped the orb, conjuring up a squad of shadow digimon. “Why don't I shut it for you?” She dropped her disguise, hissing at them.

“Better people than you have tried,” Isaac said. “Veemon digivolve to! ExVeemon!” He glowed for a moment and flared his wings out.

Ryudamon looked back at his partner. “I'll keep you safe, Star! Ryudamon digivolve to! Ginryumon!” He glowed, becoming a quadrupedal armored dragon. “Metal Armor Blade!” He opened his mouth, unleashing a shower of spears. Mummymon yawned and shot the spears out of the air with his rifle.

“Is that all you have, gecko?” Mummymon taunted. “If so, then using the shadow orb was a waste.”

“Vee Laser!!” Isaac added, blasting back a Togemon.

“Acid Mist!” Arukenimon shouted, spewing a green mist from her mouth towards Isaac. He jumped back, hissing as it clipped his wing.

“We need to find an open area!”

“And how do you propose we do that?!” Starlight asked, jumping away before a Dokugumon could sink its fangs into her.

“I dunno!” Isaac retorted, punching an Allomon in the face.

“I just got a crazy idea!” Daring shouted, whipping a Dokugumon in the eye. She then jumped on a tile, causing it to sink into the floor.

“What the hell did you just do?!” Isaac growled.

“Hopefully just gave us a big distraction!” Daring retorted, as the chamber started to shake.

“I don't like this plan...” Starlight gulped, levitating herself. Daring jumped off the tile, flying over to Starlight. All of a sudden, water started rushing into the chamber from hidden holes in the wall.

“Huh, guess it’s hard to base traps around love,” Daring noted.

“What were you expecting?”

“I dunno, darts with a love potion that make you fall in love with the first thing you see?” Daring offered as Mummymon and Arukenimon were slammed with a wall of water.

Isaac grabbed Ginryumon, flying above the water.

“Now let’s get out of here,” Daring said, leading them further into the temple and away from the struggling digimon. Isaac followed, dropping his passenger back to the floor “Let’s hope that’s the last we see of those two during this trip.”

“Let's just get the egg...” Isaac muttered, rubbing his burned wing.

“Are you okay, Isaac?” Starlight asked, looking up at him with concern.

“Yeah, just a burn.” He gave her a smile. “I'll be fine “

“That’s good,” she said with a sigh of relief. “I’d hate for anything to happen to you.” He gave her head a pat, as they moved down the corridor. Daring led them through the passages, keeping an eye on the walls and floor to avoid any further traps.

“Ya know, I didn't think I was claustrophobic until now...” Isaac muttered, hunching over to walk.

“You could always go back to rookie until we need to fight again,” Starlight offered.

“Can't.” He shook his head. “Gotta be ready.”

“Alright, if that’s the way you feel,” she said.

“So uh...” Ginryumon looked between them. “Sing-a-long?”

“We shouldn’t make a lot of noise,” Daring said. “It might alert those guys to where we are.”

“Oh. Sorry.”

“It’s alright, you were just trying to keep our spirits up,” Daring told him.

“Do we know how deep we’re going?” Starlight asked.

“Until I can find something that hints at where the egg might be kept, no,” Daring admitted.

“Joy...” Isaac groaned.

“Hey, it’s not like I can pull up an ancient blueprint of this place,” Daring retorted. “I’m working with what I already know about ruins and ancient zebra customs.”

“Which is?”

“A lot about ruins and a decent amount about the culture.”

“Could you be a little less vague?”

“Alright, there’s a bit of sun worship in ancient zebra culture. I’m willing to bet that the egg is located directly beneath the capstone of this place and that the roof used to open so it could take in sunlight,” Daring explained.

“We better find it soon, I don't want to end up as spider food.” Daring rolled her eyes and rounded a corner to a set of double doors leading to a central chamber.

Ginryumon strode to the front, glaring at the doors. “I'll go first.” He charged at the doors, crashing through them and into the room beyond.

“Really?” Daring asked, giving Starlight a bemused look.

“What, those doors looked heavy,” Ginryumon defended.

“Just lead the way Mr.Adventure.” Ginryumon rolled his eyes and led them into the chamber, staying alert for any sign of digimon.

“I think we're in the clear,” Daring said, looking around.

“Good because I spy with my little eye a pedestal at the end of the room,” Isaac chimed, pointing to the end of the chamber.

“Alright we should be careful about this,” Daring spoke firmly, trotting up to the pedestal.

“Think we’ll need to weigh down the pedestal or something?” Isaac asked, peering over her shoulder.

“No idea.” Daring walked around it, taking in every detail.

“Should I cast a spell to examine the pedestal?” Starlight offered.

“Please.” Starlight nodded and scanned the pedestal with a beam of blue light from her horn.

“I can’t find signs of a mechanism of any kind,” Starlight informed.

“Then get your egg so we can get out of here.” She looked at Isaac, gesturing to the pedestal. Isaac swiftly grabbed the egg, flinching as he waited for a trap to go off.

After a minute, nothing happened, getting a sigh of relief out of the group.

“Well, guess it’s time to get out of here,” Isaac said.

“Without saying goodbye? I'm heartbroken.” Arukenimon scuttled into view, Mummymon right behind her.

“Yeah, saw that coming,” Isaac said with a sigh.

“We already got the egg, you should just leave!” Ginryumon growled, baring his fangs.

“I don't believe we ever said we were looking for it,” Mummymon countered, “Snake Bandages!” He threw out his arm, sending out a trio of bandages. They wrapped around a rather ordinary mirror, pulling it over to them.

“Why do I have a bad feeling about this?” Daring asked.

“Isn't that cute,” Arukenimon taunted, “They have no idea what's coming.”

“Should we show them, my dear?” Mummymon asked as he held up the mirror.

“They’ll be so surprised! Acid Spray!” She hissed, coating the mirror in acid. It sizzled, its glass cracking. It shuddered for a moment before exploding, shaking the temple and bringing down the ceiling.

“We’ve gotta get out of here!” Isaac shouted, putting Starlight on his shoulder and grabbing Ginryumon as he tried to fly out of the hole in the ceiling. Daring followed, zipping out of another hole.

Mummymon and Arukenimon pulled themselves out of the rubble, most of their shadow digimon doing the same. A new digimon, at least two stories tall and covered in brown armor, emerged as well.

“So, Leopardmon really was in the mirror,” Arukenimon commented. Isaac just stared in abject horror, unable to move.

“This is bad,” Isaac muttered. “This is very bad.”

“Isaac?” Starlight asked with a worried frown.

“That’s Leopardmon, he’s a royal knight,” he explained. “And he’s not exactly friendly to non digimon.”

“Where am I?” Leopardmon demanded, his voice booming across the jungle.

“You are in a world called Equis,” Arukenimon explained. “It’s another version of the organic world.”

“Ah yes, the world of emotion.” Leopardmon glanced up at Isaac and company, his massive mane swaying in the breeze. “Such creatures are beneath us. Only the lowest of digimon would consort with them.”

“Really? Because I can name tons of digimon that have grown stronger thanks to “consorting” with what you call lower beings,” Isaac retorted, finding his courage. “Like the strongest digimon of all time.”

“You dare address me, whelp?” Leopardmon growled, drawing his sword.

“You addressed me first and insulted my friends as you did,” Isaac said, glaring at Leopardmon.

“Allow me to teach you your place.” Leopardmon lifted his sword above his head, the blade glowing. “Extinction Wave!” He sliced the air, sending a blade of energy at Isaac. The champion attempted to move, only for the wave to cut through him, instantly reverting him to rookie.

“Sorry Star...” he whispered as the three of them began to plummet. “I wasn't... strong enough...” He whimpered in pain, his body glitching out momentarily. The last thing he saw before blacking out was a figure leaping out of the jungle to catch them.