• Published 29th Jan 2014
  • 1,278 Views, 11 Comments

Discord's Apple Surprise - cheesemeister



Discord's attempt to thank the Apples for their hospitality has surprising results.

  • ...
1
 11
 1,278

Down Home Hospitality

“It’s certainly nice to have friends,” Discord thought as he meandered about Ponyville. “It was nice of my friend Fluttershy to take care of me while I was sick. I’m now going to go and enjoy the hospitality of my friends the Apples. Surely they will enjoy extending their down-home hospitality to me!”

As Discord entered Sweet Apple Acres, he saw Big Macintosh pulling a cart full of apples.

“Well, those certainly look tasty!” Discord said. “May I try one?”

“Eeyup,” Big Mac responded.

Big Macintosh unloaded the cart, then went back towards the orchard to procure more apples.

“What in tarnation is Discord doing sitting there by the barn, eating all them apples?” Applejack demanded as she and Granny Smith came back from the orchard with their own carts loaded with apples.

“Now darlin’, we need to be nice to the…well, whatever he is,” Granny Smith said. “He ain’t never had friends before, and he don’t quite understand that friendship is a give and take sorta thing. We need to be patient with him.”

“Well, my patience with him is already worn thin,” Applejack said. “Maybe you should talk to him, Granny. He might take the criticism better comin’ from the matriarch of Sweet Apple Acres.”

Applejack unloaded her cart and went back to the orchard while Granny went to have a chat with Discord.

“Hello, Ms. Apple!” Discord said in a lilting voice. “I must say, these apples of yours are quite splendid! They’re just at the peak of ripeness!”

“Well, I’m glad you like them,” Granny Smith said. “You see, young fella, I’m not tryin’ to put a damper on your enthusiasm for our apples, no sir. It’s just that we do need a fair number of them apples to make our cider, and our pies and cobblers and candy apples to sell at the Harvest Festival.”

“Oh, I’m terribly sorry,” Discord groaned. “How obnoxious of me to sit here eating up your apples when they are the source of your income. I’d like to make it up to you.”

“Well, there’s plenty of ways you can help,” Granny said. “You can help us harvest. You can help with juicing the apples for cider or cutting them up for baking, canning, and drying. You can bag up the seeds for next year’s planting, or you can take the cores and peels to the compost pile. You could also help us sell our goodies at the fair. In return, I’ll give you a whole passel of apple goodies to enjoy.”

“Ms. Apple, you’ve got yourself a deal!” Discord declared. “Why, it is my greatest wish in all the Universe to do great good, and you can’t get gooder than apples! I’ll help you peel them and cut them and crush them and puree them, and whatever else you may want me to do.”

“The only thing else I want you to do, Sonny, is to call me Granny Smith. Ms. Apple is so dang formal, I feel like I’m being summoned for some reason or another.”

“It’s a deal, Granny Smith,” Discord declared, shaking Granny’s hoof exuberantly. “Now, you just point me in the right direction, and I’ll get started straightaway!”