• Published 11th Oct 2014
  • 1,668 Views, 32 Comments

Daughter of the Woods - Robolestia



Applejack discovers a heritage nopony knew she had.

  • ...
0
 32
 1,668

Uncle Zapp

Twilight, Applejack and Sessalisk spun around to see Zapp Everfree standing in the doorway. He stepped inside, expression no longer jovial but bitter, jaded.

"You just had to ask, didn't you?" Zapp asked, in flawless Equestrian. "I leave you alone for five minutes, and you manage to unravel the plot I spent almost a hundred years putting into action. Typical."

"Why'd you do it?" Applejack asked. "Why kill Ivy?"

[She started it!] Zapp hissed, defaulting to Dryadese in his frustration, and jabbing a hoof at Applejack. "That brute didn't have what it took to rule! The Everfree would have been better off with me at the helm, and her free to keep on doing what she did best, like hitting things and making friends with mortals... I told her this, asked her to just withdraw from the succession, but no, she was stubborn, and refused to bow out! Convinced our father to make the succession a contest of strength! Like that's any way to decide the heir to the Everfree!"

Zapp began to grind his teeth. "She beat me, became Lady Everfree, then used her power to point us towards destruction. Dryads are supposed to be quiet, unseen by the eyes of mortals! And then here comes Ivy, gallumphing away, having liasons with travellers! She was a loud, overt moron!"

"She was your sister, for pony's sake!" Applejack exclaimed, stamping a hoof.

"She was going to destroy the Everfree dryads," Zapp said coldly. "Did you know we're one of the few intact enclaves left? We used to span the world from coast to coast, and now? Ever since we interacted with ponykind, we've been on a downward spiral." Zapp jabbed his hoof at Twilght. "You mortals poisoned us, destroyed our homes, slaughtered our kin by the hundreds with fire! Thousands of dryad who should still be alive today!"

[That wass a long time ago!] Sessalisk interjected. [The sssins of the forefathers are not theirs to bear! They have changed!]

"Shut up, naga," Zapp spat. "Should have just killed you when I had the chance. This whole sordid episode is a lesson in prudence..."

"So your excuse is that you did it to save dryadkind?" Applejack asked levelly. "And it just so happened to involve you becoming Lord Everfree?"

"That was my destiny!" Zapp bellowed. "Me! Lord Everfree! I was the eldest! I had all the right qualities! My mastery over yigdrasil's gift was without peer! But by dryad law, my sister was still entitled to make a bid for power at the succession, and our father, in his infinite wisdom," Zapp hissed, "liked to play favorites, doted on her and ignored my plights. Soft-barked piece of firewood, may he rot in the glades."

"Disgustin'," Applejack said, spitting on the ground in front of Zapp. "If it were my little sister makin' Lady of somewhere or somesuch, I'd let her have it. You've got no respect for your family, you're despicable, Zapp."

"I'm hurt you think that of me," Zapp said, looking back up at Applejack, a sinister gleam of joy in his eye. "But it won't matter for very long, you're all about to have an unfortunate channelling accident."

Twilight, thoroughly confused, opened her mouth, but all that came out was a violent scream as she – along with the other two – was thrown back by a vicious bolt of lightning from Zapp Everfree's inclined horns. She bounced and rolled across the ground, grunting as Sessalisk landed on top of her and blacked out.

Only Applejack landed more or less upright, bouncing and rolling back onto her hooves just as she slammed into a bookshelf, looking over her nefarious uncle with borderline hatred, her chest smoking where a shallow crater had been blasted in her body, quickly healing over. The dryad was standing tall, his bark carapace crackling with energy that Applejack recognized.

"So," she said. "The Zap Apples. Your work?"

"My finest," Zapp declared. "Watching you all year round, even if you didn't know it. I'll admit, I wasn't sure if I had the right pony," Zapp said. "Did my sister's bastard child ever actually sprout? Would it be like us, or like them? I just didn't know – but now I do." Zapp pointed his hoof at Applejack. "You're just a mortal plus," he declared. "You speak the tongue, you might have a few parlor tricks with your chanelling, but you don't have the bark. And that's what counts."

Applejack blinked in surprise. He didn't know. She felt a plan coming together in her head – Zapp was going to be in for it.

"It ain't the bark that makes a dryad," Applejack declared boldly. "I mean, look at you. You got the bark, but y'all are still just a damn snake. Don't got the b-" Applejack lowered her head as if to get a better look. "Do dryads even have balls?"

"Metaphorically and literally," Zapp said, flinging a hoof at Applejack, a bolt of lightning flying out the end of it at blinding speeds. Applejack didn't flinch, just focusing on pouring that apple cider hard and fast. She felt the familiar warmth build up again, but this time it stayed at a manageable level, one where she felt she could control it. It obeyed her whims, and Applejack willed her new skin to grow in with record speed, bark emerging and encasing her quicker than blinking. Then she charged in one smooth motion, feeling only slight resistance from the energy bolt as it punched into her new solid-wood skin and fizzled, unable to conduct.

Zapp's mouth opened in surprise, but nothing came out save for air as Applejack shoulder-tackled Zapp backwards and back through the library doors, which swung open around them. The run came to an abrupt end in the wall of the root as Applejack pinned her uncle to the wall hard and fast.

"I got the bark," Applejack said, grinning.

Zapp looked sideways at her, and smiled. "You're just like her," Zapp said. "More than you realize, perhaps."

"If you think sentimentality is gonna save you from the ass-whooping you deserve..." Applejack growled.

"No, I was just saying you're like her," Zapp said casually, ignoring the fact that he wasn't even touching the ground. "Headstrong, brave, reckless, a touch of cunning..."

There was a rumbling from further down the corridor, and Zapp spotted Applejack's attention waver briefly. Applejack blinked in surprise and tried to back off as she spotted what was making the rumbling, only to get speared sideways by some titanic green vine, and carried off down the corridor.

"And predictable," Zapp concluded, rolling his shoulder and walking down the corridor after the root.

Applejack felt her concentration slip despite her best efforts, and most of the bark on her body retracted or fell off as the vine carried her body along, caught in the claw-like head of the vine. She struggled and pushed, but the supernaturally charged plant was too much for her, pushing her along the corridors and tunnels of the root at extreme speeds; she recognized some of the exhibits as they flashed by, and realized where she was headed an instant before she got there, thrown through the main doors and out onto the ground outside.

The sun was setting now, colouring the sky a reddish orange as Applejack got up and looked around; surrounding the tree was a veritable army of timberwolves, and a pair of woldwardens, all of them watching her as she got up.

"You know, when me and Ivy were still saplings," Zapp said, emerging from a recently-sprouted flower bud and stepping onto the ground. "We used to joke about just how strong she was. How many timberwolves she could fight at the same time. As it turns out, the answer is six." Zapp shrugged. "If she was better at doing things with her magic other than hit things hard, perhaps she could have lasted longer."

"Coward," Applejack cursed.

"Wrong C-word," Zapp said. "Careful."

"Careful this," Applejack said, throwing out her hoof again and willing her magic into motion, working on a heat-of-the-moment idea. It worked, her foreleg rippling with bark once more; only this time, a panel of the bark had been pushed up, allowing a thin, whiplike vine to shoot out, and lash itself around Zapp's neck with a snapping sound and squeezing hard.

"Cute," Zapp said, his voice squashed but otherwise unaffected by the choke. "Eye for an eye, Applejack."

Zapp flung out his own hoof and mimicked Applejack, who yelped as Zapp's own whip coiled around her neck and began to squeeze, Applejack feeling the blood rushing in her ears and her heart pounding away.

The apple farmer struggled and kicked, her resistance futile as Zapp smashed her onto the ground with the vine and freed himself from her suddenly-loose grip.

"Can't handle it?" Zapp taunted. "Need to breathe? Poor half-breed."

"Get... you..." Applejack choked.

"Obviously, there's more mortal in you than dryad," Zapp said, lifting Applejack up and bringing her closer. "Another reason I should be Lord Everfree. Your mother would have destroyed us with her half-breed get, diluted the blood of the Everfree until we were nothing more than strange ponies with an affinity for plants."

"That's... an earth pony..." Applejack gagged.

"I know," Zapp said, rolling his eyes. "I couldn't imagine anything more pathetic. At least pegasi and unicorns bring something new to the table."

"Pathetic... huh?" Applejack snorted, drawing as much breath as she could through the chokehold, straining. "I'll show you... PATHETIC!"

As Applejack exerted herself, vines punched out of the ground below her, lashing onto her hooves and pulling her back down to the earth; Zapp leaned forward, caught off balance by the pulling motion, and Applejack regrew the bark on her head, just in time to catch Zapp in a perfect headbutt, the crack of wood on wood echoing through the enchanted clearing.

Zapp stumbled back, his own hold on Applejack broken and head swimming. He looked up just in time to see Applejack's hindquarters compressing as she wound up for a kick, hooves clad in dryad bark and eyes filled with determined fire. The twin cracks were like gunshots, and Zapp flew through the air, landing on the ground as he rolled to a halt, his back to the cordon of timberwolves and woldwardens as he regained his footing.

"That's how we do it on the farm," Applejack said levelly, scuffing her hooves on the dirt. "You know, the one full of 'pathetic earth ponies'. Who's pathetic now?"

Zapp felt his chest, and found a perfect pair of matching hoof prints in his bark. He looked back at Applejack, who had clad herself completely in bark once more, and his heart was filled with memories.

"Have I mentioned how like your mother you are?" Zapp asked, spitting a thin streak of amber onto the ground.

"I've heard nothing but, today," Applejack said.

"Well, I've got good news," Zapp said, stepping back and whistling loudly, a shrill screech that got the attention of everything in the ring. "You look like her, you fight like her, and now you're going to die like her." He switched to Dryadese. [Kill her!]

The timberwolves surrounding the two barked and snarled as they finally began to advance. Applejack took a step back in horror, but gritted her teeth and didn't take another.

"Heel!" she bellowed at the timberwolves.

The creatures stopped briefly, and Applejack blinked. She drew more power into her voice, and pointed a hoof at half of them, mustering as much authority as she could.

[Sit!] she yelled, this time her voice carrying an imperceptible edge to it.

The timberwolves looked uneasy for a moment, looking between Applejack and Zapp, before deciding to do what Applejack had said, and sitting down, placing their hindquarters onto the ground obediently.

Zapp blinked and looked at them in disbelief. [What are you doing?!] he yelled. [Get over there! Tear her limb from limb!]

The timberwolves seemed to come to a consensus, and remained sitting, more resolute now, and eyeing Zapp not with the wary respect afforded a pack leader, but the keen interest they gave to a potential target. Zapp took a step backwards in fear, and Applejack smiled.

"Who doesn't have the bark now?" she asked.

Zapp's confidence was gone as he looked warily around, his mouth moving silently as he was finally lost for words.

"You know," Applejack said. "I am wondering... if Ivy could handle six timberwolves... how many will you handle? One? Two?"

[No!] Zapp protested fearfully. [You wouldn't!]

"You're right," Applejack admitted. "Not gonna lie." Applejack cleared her throat, drew herself up and pointed a hoof. [Grab him!]

The timberwolves moved rapidly, quickly forming a circle around Zapp to prevent him running away; Zapp tried it anyway, throwing himself into the air with a plume of vines, only for a stone hand to snatch him out of the air; the former Lord of the Everfree strained and struggled, sparks flying as he electrified his bark, to no effect in the unbeatable stone grip of the Woldwarden holding him and looking to Applejack for the next command.

[You can't do this!] Zapp complained, struggling desperately. "I'm your uncle!" he protested in Equestrian. "Good old Uncle Zapp! Can't you find it in your heart to spare me? Please?"

"Good question," Applejack said. "But, do dryads even have hearts?" Applejack looked to the woldwarden. [Would you kindly throw my Uncle far, far away?] she asked. [As far as you can throw.]

The woldwarden nodded, and stepped into the centre of the clearing for a clear shot at the sky above; all the while, Zapp was thrashing away in the woldwarden's fist.

[I'll have my revenge!] he shouted angrily. [I will be Lord Everfree! I'll get you, you Gaia-damned half-breed!]

"If I ever see you again," Applejack said firmly, "I will personally cut you into firewood. Bet on it."

Zapp went pale – or as pale as a bark-skinned equine can go, anyway – and whatever he was going to say next was lost in an involuntary terror-scream as the woldwarden finally cut loose with the throw, and he shot into the air like a thrown caber. Applejack put a hoof to her brow as she watched Zapp's screaming form quicky shrink and vanish in the distance against the setting sun.

"Good throw," she muttered, loud enough for the woldwarden to hear. The stone titan rumbled contentedly as he caught the gist of the praise, and nodded.

There was a raspy bark, and Applejack's attention was drawn to the timberwolves, who were now sitting perfectly still, waiting for her next word.

"Uh," Applejack paused, clearing her throat and taking a breath. [Good dogs, you can go now.]

The timberwolves barked, and as one, got up and bounded away into the treeline, vanishing with supernatural speed.

Then there was a crashing of wood and a gout of flames as the two main doors to the Yigdrasil were blown open by a phenomenonal blast of magic and energy, allowing Twilight and Sessalisk to dive-roll through them and onto their hooves, striking poses as they prepared to sling magic.

"Hooves in the air, Zapp!" Twilight yelled, holding a wild approximation of a wing-chun stance. "I know how to cast fireball, and I'm not afraid to..." Twilight faltered, seeing nobody but Applejack and rapidly retreating woldwardens. "Where is..."

"Gone away," Applejack said. "Far away."

"Oh." Twilight relaxed, and Sessalisk followed suit. "Well, so, you won, huh?"

"I guess so," Applejack muttered. "What now?"

"Now?" Sessalisk said in Equestrian, sinking low on her coils and bowing. "Whatever you want, Lady Applejack, masster of the Everfree."

"Anythin' I want?" Applejack asked.

* * *

"Alright, everypony!" Rainbow shouted. "Listen up!"

Fluttershy and Rarity cringed at their proximity to the shouting. Pinkie Pie just stared blankly into space just behind Rainbow's left ear, and didn't seem to react. The four mares were lined up at the edge of the Everfree forest, burdened with large saddlebags bristling with all manner of search and rescue equipment.

"We're right here," Rarity said tartly, tossing her mane. "You don't need to shout."

"Why are we doing this?" Fluttershy asked. "I'm sure Applejack is fine..."

"Because Applejack's been actin' weird," Rainbow said. "One, there was that stone robot yesterday. Then two, she runs to Twilight like she's seen a ghost, and the two vanish – presumably leading to part three, where they go into the Everfree forest and don't come back. Applejack knows better than to hang about in that forest after dusk!"

"Those, um, are pretty good points," Fluttershy said quietly

"No, I think you're right," Rarity said. "Applejack is a grown mare. She knows what she's doing, and I think we might be over-reacting just a bit here, Rainbow."

"Over-reacting?!" Rainbow exclaimed. "Is it over-reacting to give two flying feathers about your missing friends?"

"Point!" Pinkie chirped, pointing with her entire body past Rainbow. Rarity and Rainbow ignored this to continue the discussion.

"All I'm saying is, calling an emergency search party for Applejack just because she wasn't home when you tried sponging an early run of cider off of her is a bit much."

"What if she's lost?" Rainbow argued. "Every minute counts!"

"The sun hasn't even gone down yet!" Rarity exclaimed. "It's still going to be in the sky for another twenty minutes!"

"Fifteen, actually," Fluttershy said.

"Whatever!"

"Point!" Pinkie chirped again.

"For the love of Luna, are you even paying any attention?" Rainbow asked.

"No, I'm pointing," Pinkie said. "Look! It's AJ and Twilight! They've made a new friend!"

The other mares turned around or paid more attention to the treeline, and they saw Applejack striding out of the forest towards them, with Twilight and some serpentine creature. Applejack, by far, looked the strangest, her coat covered in patches with thick-looking bark.

"Applejack?" Rainbow asked, taking in what she saw. "What in the wide world of Equestria is going on? What happened to your skin? Is that bark?"

"RD," Applejack said, "You are not going to believe the day I just had."