• Published 29th Jan 2014
  • 776 Views, 16 Comments

The Spread - Radioactive Cheese



A zombie apocalypse in Equestria? How will the ponies survive with scarce food, weapons, and shelter?

  • ...
11
 16
 776

Prologue: The silence of a bell

It was a bright, sunny day in Ponyville. The school bell rang and the children came out running. At the door came out the Cutie Mark Crusaders: Sweetie Belle, Apple Bloom, and Scootaloo. “Today was tiring.” said Apple Bloom, a bright yellow Earth Pony with a red mane and a big pink bow in her hair.

“I think we should just skip the clubhouse and go to our homes.” said Scootaloo, a bright orange Pegasus with a spikey, boyish, magenta mane.

“Yeah, I guess you’re right.” said Sweetie Belle, a white Unicorn with a bouncy purple and pink mane.

“See y’all tomorrow.” said Apple Bloom, as she started walking towards her family’s farm.

Scootaloo turned around and started digging through her saddle bag. She soon pulled out a solid blue scooter and a purple helmet with I white stripe going down the center. “So, we’re doing the usual tomorrow?” asked Scootaloo.

“Of course!” replied Sweetie Belle, her high pitched voice having a slight crack in it. “We wouldn’t be the Cutie Mark Crusaders if we don’t go crusading, would we?”

Scootaloo gave a small smirk and replied, “All right. Well, I guess we can think of what we’re gonna do tomorrow.” Scootaloo started propelling her wings like a motor and rode off on her Scooter. “See ya tomorrow!” she said, off in the distance.

Sweetie Belle turned around, tightened her saddle bag, and headed towards home. It takes a good 10 minutes from the school to Rarity’s and back. As she walked for her first few minutes, she felt like something was wrong, as if someone was following her. Sweetie Belle turned around to see nothing but the road leading to the school. She soon turned back around and continued walking. As she walked, she thought about today’s class. It was very tiring compared to every other day. “Miss Cheerilee (a magenta Earth Pony with a flat, bouncy light pink mane) was acting strange. She seemed both panicked and worried. She had the class perform strange things today, like she was preparing them for a bombing. What is it that got her so worked up?” As Sweetie Belle dwelled in her thoughts, she stopped with that strange feeling again. She looked behind to, again, see nothing but the road. As she turned back around, she heard a screaming coming towards her. She looked in the direction it came from and saw an orange stallion with a black mane tackle her. She tried to get up, but the pony kept attacking her. Sweetie Belle’s first intention was that this pony came from the bad side of town and is trying to mug her. As she struggled, the strange pony bit Sweetie Belle’s front right leg. She soon earned the strength to push him off and start running. She ran the rest of the way home for 2 minutes. She looked back and saw nothing but the road. “The coast is clear” Sweetie Belle mumbled to herself. She saw Rarity’s house up ahead and did a final sprint towards it. She stopped at the front door, trying to catch her breath from all of the running. Sweetie Belle took a deep breath, and opened the door.

Scootaloo was on her Scooter, riding her way to Rainbow Dash’s (a cyan Pegasus with a flat, rainbow colored mane) house. 6 months have passed since Rainbow Dash adopted her. They’ve had a good relationship. While they’ve had a couple of fights, they still get along well. Scootaloo saw the house and rode to the back. After the first week of living with her, Rainbow Dash set up a ramp in the back of the house to let Scootaloo get up without having to fly, due to her disability. Scootaloo stopped the scooter. She tightened her grip on the handles, fastened her helmet until it was skin tight, and readied her wings. Her wings propelled so fast that if she could fly, she’d break the sound barrier. Her scooter accelerated at top speed and hit the ramp. The amount of speed gave her a large enough jump to make it onto the cloud mansion. Scootaloo took off her helmet and placed it back in her saddle bag, along with her scooter. She went around the front and knocked on the door.

“Who is it?” Rainbow Dash asked, strangely hesitant.

“It’s me, Scootaloo.” Rainbow Dash opened the door as fast as lightning and brought Scootaloo in. “Dash, wha-“ Before she could finish her sentence, Rainbow Dash brought Scootaloo in for a hug that lasted longer than you’d expect to come from her.

“Scoot, did anyone, or anything, bite you on your way here?” The cyan Pegasus asked, concern in her magenta eyes.

“No… why?” Scootaloo replied. Rainbow Dash sighed and pointed her hoof at the couch in the living room.

“Sit down, Scoot. We need to talk.”

Apple Bloom was at the front of Sweet Apple Acres, her family’s apple orchard. As she started heading to the farm, she noticed that things were quieter than usual. She knocked on the front door, but didn’t receive a response. She knocked again. Still no response. She pulled on the handle and was surprised to see that it was unlocked. She opened the door to receive the nozzle of a double barrel shotgun in her face. “Sis, what’re you doin’?” Apple Bloom asked. Holding the shotgun was Applejack, an orange Earth Pony with a blonde ponytail and her father’s cowboy hat.

“Apple Bloom,” Applejack started, a tear rolling down her cheek, “Please tell me no one, or nothin’, bit you on yer way here.”

“Of course not” The young filly replied, “Why would anypony bite me?” Applejack gave a sigh of relief and put the shotgun down. She then went up to her little sister and gave her a hug. “Applejack, why are you actin’ like this? Yer never this worried!” Apple Bloom said, as she struggled to get air from how tight her sister was hugging her.

Applejack looked Apple Bloom in the eyes and said, “It’s about Granny Smith.”

Apple Bloom knew something had happened, and she fears that it’s what she thinks it is. “You don’t mean?” Apple Bloom asked.

The orange cowgirl nodded in relpy. “There was nothin’ I could do.”

“But, how did she die?” asked the little filly. Applejack let go of her sister and signaled her to sit on the couch. Their older brother Big Mac (a big, red Earth Pony with a flat, orange mane) walked in covered in a bit of blood. “Wha- What’s goin’ on?” Apple Bloom asked.

“You’re sister will now explain.” replied Big Mac.

“Sis, I’m home!” Yelled Sweetie Belle, loud enough to make sure Rarity heard her. Rarity (a beautiful white Unicorn with a curly, violet mane) came running towards her. As she looked at her little sister, she saw some blood coming out of her hoof.

“Sweetie Belle, what happened to your hoof?” Rarity asked, showing concern in her voice.

“On my way home, some crazy stallion tried to mug me. He pinned me to the ground and bit my hoof, but I managed to break free and ran all the way here.” The filly replied. “Don’t worry, I’m oka-“

“Sweetie Belle, go to your room.” Rarity ordered.

“Wha- What?” Sweetie Belle replied, confused. “You heard me, go to your room. Now, that’s an order.” Sweetie Belle walked past her sister and headed towards the stairs.

She turned around to the mare and tried to plead, “But-“

She was interrupted again, “I said now, Sweetie!” Rarity demanded. The little filly walked up the stairs towards her room. Rarity watched, a tear rolling down her cheek. She walked towards her sewing machine and continued her new piece of clothing. Her horn started glowing blue, along with a drawer nearby. She opened the drawer with her magic, and out came a pistol.

“Say what now?” Scootaloo replied to Rainbow Dash’s story.

“I know it sounds stupid, but it’s true, there really is a zombie outbreak. That’s why I was worried about you.” Rainbow Dash remarked.

“But, how did this start? In every zombie story I’ve read, there’s always a source of the outbreak. A patient zero.” Scootaloo stated.

“I don’t know.” Rainbow Dash turned around and headed for the front door. She turned her head to her sister and said “Hop on.” Scootaloo just stared in confusion, but she followed her orders instead of arguing with her guardian. The orange filly climbed onto the cyan ponies back. She opened the front door, spread her wings, and took off.

“Where are we going, Rainbow Dash?” Scootaloo asked.

“We’re going to Sweet Apple Acres. I want to check on Applejack and make sure that she’s alright.”

“YOU SHOT HER!?!?” Apple Bloom replied to Applejack’s story.

“I had no choice! She had already turned. Would you want to come home with me and Big Mac as zombies? Is that what you want?” Applejack answered.

Apple Bloom looked down and replied “No, but I didn’t want to lose granny either.”

“Sugercube, there was nothin’ I could do. It was too late. I’m sorry, I really am.” said Applejack. As she went to comfort her sister, there was knock on the door. “Big Mac, get the gun.” Ordered the orange pony.

“Eeyup!” replied Big Mac. He holstered the gun on his shoulder and aimed at the door. His hoof had a tight grip on the trigger. Outside the door was the voice a very close friend.

“Yo, AJ! Are ya home?” Applejack opened the door, relieved to see that it was only Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo.

“Thank Celestia that it’s you two. What’re you doin’ here? Shouldn’t you be home sheltering yourself until this whole epidemic passes?” asked Applejack.

Rainbow Dash replied, “We came here to see how you were doing and if you needed any help. Also, I was hoping me and Scootaloo can stay with you. I don’t really feel secure at my house if there are any zombie pegasi.”

Scootaloo came to realization as to what Rainbow Dash said and responded, “But Rainbow Dash, we didn’t bring Tank. He’s still at home.”

The cyan Pegasus looked at her sister and replied “I asked Fluttershy to take care of him. Don’t worry, he’s fine.” It was quiet for a little bit until Apple Bloom broke the silence.

“Well what are y’all waitin’ for? Let’s start barricadin’ the house.”

5 hours have passed and Rarity was still working on her new piece of clothing. As she was about to finish a section of it, she heard a banging noise from upstairs. Rarity stopped what she was doing and listened closely. The banging happened again. “That’s coming from Sweetie Belle’s room” Rarity mumbled to herself. She moved away from her sewing machine and walked towards the stairs. The banging occurred again. Rarity was right in front of Sweetie Belle’s door. She readied herself for what was about to happen. She opened the door and out came a ravenous white Unicorn. Rarity struggled to keep what used to be her sister from biting her. Rarity ran down the stairs and waited for the filly to follow. As Sweetie Belle tried to tackle Rarity, the older Unicorn grabbed her and held her in a position that would prevent her from attacking. “Hush now, quiet now, it’s time to lay your sleepy head.” Rarity began to sing. As she sung, she picked up the pistol with her magic. “Hush now, quiet now, it’s time to go to bed.” The gun was positioned against the struggling zombie’s head. Rarity looked at her sister one last time, tears rolling down her cheeks. “I’m so, so sorry.” She whispered. She pulled the trigger. There was a loud bang, then silence. Rarity let go and looked down upon the corpse of her little sister. She got down to her hind knees and grieved for her. Tears were rolling down her cheeks. “She was too young.” Rarity choked up. She picked up the corpse and held it against her. “She was too young.” she repeated. She looked up to the sky and yelled, “She was only 8!” She looked back down with even more tears in her eyes. She then choked up the same sentence, but in a lower, sad voice. “She was only 8.”