• Published 24th Jan 2014
  • 1,190 Views, 41 Comments

Mind of the Dark - Silver Melodies



What happens when you mix a room full of ponies with chaos and fear? Well, Discord wants to find out, and he has a little game planned that won't end well for anyone. Can the ponies defeat Discord's game, or will their fear cause them to tu

  • ...
7
 41
 1,190

Survive

Fluttershy couldn't move. What was happening right before her eyes? Pinkie Pie was holding a... a butchering knife, and appeared to have just killed Tomb. How had Pinkie Pie managed to kill somepony? How had she even found a butchering knife? Well, probably the same way Applejack had found a crossbow. But Pinkie Pie had killed somepony!

“Pinkie... what... how did... I...”

“Hmm?” Pinkie looked at the ground, towards Tomb's body. “Oh, that! Yeah, I killed him. He was in my way, same as this mare here.” She pointed at Glaze, whose expression was changing from one of horror to sadness to anger.

“But... how can you just...”

Pinkie laughed, a sound that once brought her cheer, but now chilled Fluttershy to the core. “Well, it's really simple.” She walked over to Tomb's body. “You just grab their heads...” She lifted his head off of the ground, not even bothering with Glaze, who looked ready to pounce. “And you...” She hacked the knife into Tomb's head, splattering blood all over her face. She looked up, her eyes full of... nothing. They were dead. Pinkie was gone, Fluttershy could tell.

Glaze had enough. She pounced on Pinkie Pie, tackling her to the ground. Pinkie just rolled with the blow and sprung up, jumping into the darkness. Her laughter echoed through the room, causing Fluttershy to cringe.

She looked around. Would Pinkie kill them? Would she maybe leave them be? They were friends, right? She had killed Tomb, but she didn't know him. They were friends... right?

Pinkie's voice reached her ears. “Sorry Fluttershy and Twilight. It's nothing personal, of course.” Fluttershy turned her head towards the noise. “I just, well I don't wanna lose, so I'm gonna win.” This time, it was from behind her.

“Pinkie!” Twilight called out. “What are you doing?!” We can make it out of this! We will! We just need to...”

“To work together, of course.” Fluttershy couldn't tell where the voice was coming from. “But, I don't really feel like working together. You would just slow me down. And, well I think would be more fun!” She laughed again, manically.

Fluttershy's heart skipped a beat. Was this it? Pinkie had a knife, in the dark, and was ready to kill each and every one of them.

“Oh, and one more thing!” Chirped the pink pony. “For the few more seconds you are alive, please call me Pinkamena, okay?”

Fluttershy had never hated a name so much before as she did now. This wasn't Pinkie Pie. Something had happened to her, this... Pinkamena thing. It must have broken her mind. Pinkie Pie would never kill somepony.

Sweetie Belle held on to Fluttershy even tighter. Twilight held her horn at the ready. She couldn't use magic, but maybe she could at least stab with it. Derpy held her stick, not knowing what else to do. Fluttershy just kept her eyes open. She had no weapons, so she would have to run fast, probably losing the filly attached to her. Sweetie Belle was just dead weight.

What? No, Sweetie Belle was worth protecting. Right? Did she really want to risk her life for a filly? When she could just as easily use her as something to slow the evil down? No, of course not.

She turned to see Twilight was... scared. She was sweating, shaking, and had the look of terror in her eyes. Fluttershy didn't blame her. She was terrified as well. Why shouldn't they be? There was a monster stalking them in the dark and now a crazy pony, also in the dark, and if everyone was reacting the same way Fluttershy was, they were all well on their way to losing their minds!

She did the only sensible thing she could think off. She made a dash for the wall, trying to find a door. She had to get out of here.

She forgot about Sweetie Belle, who chased after her. Stupid filly, she'd just get everyone killed. She turned around to tell Sweetie Belle to go away when something tackled her, pinning her to the ground.

Fluttershy looked up, dazed and confused, too see Pinkie Pie... no, Pinkamena, standing over her, knife ready to cleave. Fluttershy's lost control to something inside of her. She bucked Pinkamena off of her and rolled up, ready to fight. Pinkamena came bouncing back, knife forward. Fluttershy dodged, but didn't notice Sweetie Belle was standing behind her. Damn filly, what was she doing?

Pinkamena tackled Sweetie Belle, a sadistic smile spreading across her face. Fluttershy whipped around to stop her. Sweetie Belle screamed, pure terror etched on her face.

The cleaver connected with Sweetie's face. Pinkamena pulled back and struck again. Then again. And again. Sweetie's face was unrecognizable now; just a mangle of flesh and bones. Blood spilled out everywhere, streaking the wooden floor.

Fluttershy couldn't look. It was terrible. She tackled the crazy mare, knocking the cleaver from her hoof. The two wrestled, but Pinkamena underestimated the once-timid mare. Fluttershy got the upper-hoof and was able to clock her in the jaw. She thought she heard a scream, but shrugged it off in the heat of battle. Pinkie stood up and stumbled back, blood dripping from her mouth. She just smiled all the wider, her eyes shrunk to pinpricks, then jumped back into the darkness with a maniacal laugh.

Fluttershy whipped around when something bumped into her. It was just Derpy. She looked scared. Wait a minute...

“Run!” The gray mare screamed.

Where was Twilight? Fluttershy turned around. The pale face, streaked in blood, lips black... The eyes of a heartless, killing machine. No... Rarity was in there, right? There had to be a way to stop this... but now there were only two of her fiends still living. What if they all died? What if she died?

She bolted after Derpy. Luckily, there was a door right in front of them, once again open. Was it because Glaze managed to escape through here... or did Pinkamena go this way?

She didn't care. She raced through door and slammed it shut, keeping the beast out of the hall. Derpy put a hoof on her shoulder but Fluttershy just slapped it away. She didn't want comfort or whatever it was Derpy was trying to give. She wanted out. She swore, when... if she made it out of this, she would make Discord pay.

The door behind them exploded. Fluttershy screamed as the splintered wood pelted her, some sticking into her skin and knocking her to the ground. Derpy, who had been standing close to the door, was sent flying down the hall. She hit the ground and cried out. Fluttershy looked over to see Derpy's wing bent at an odd angle. The poor mare would probably not be able to move too fast...

Fluttershy jumped up and rocketed down the hall, almost slamming into the door. She grabbed the handle and flung it open. She turned back, remembering Derpy. Derpy hobbled after her, trying to block out the pain from her wing... and her leg, which appeared to also be broken. Fluttershy thought about going to get her.

The monster loomed in the hall, slowly, but surely, advancing on the injured mare. Fluttershy's whole body screamed to run away, but her mind wouldn't let her. She couldn't move closer, and she couldn't move farther.

So she stood, watching horror as the monsters tongue slithered out of its mouth, latching onto Derpy's leg. The gray mare looked up, her eyes connecting with Fluttershy's. They spoke of terror, sorrow, and... forgiveness? Of what?

Derpy was pulled back, her screams of protest echoing in the narrow hall. She tried to grab something, anything, to save herself from being pulled to death. Her hooves found nothing.

This close, Fluttershy could see just how the monster ate. It's mouth opened to impossibly wide proportions. Inside, only blackness. It's teeth seemed to lengthen as the tongue reeled its catch in. Derpy's legs passed through it's mouth, then her waist, until only her head remained out.

She gave one last whimper as the beast clamped down, severing her head. Fluttershy screamed again as the head tumbled onto the floor, rolling until it came to rest against the wall, leaving a trail of blood. Her eyes were rolled up into her head, and her tongue hung out, limply.

Fluttershy, as if lifted from trance, jumped through the door and slammed it shut. Would that hold it? It broke down the last one... maybe this one was different? But she couldn't take that chance.

She raced through the room she was now in. She had to find a door. She felt something, inside her, clawing through her mind until it reached the surface, taking over everything she had control over.

Survival instinct.

She would survive, and she would not stop at anything to assure that.

She scrambled faster, trying to find something, anything! A weapon, a door, a hiding spot, a clue as to how she could stop this thing...

Something grabbed her and pinned her to the ground. A scream tore out of her throat. The monster? How had it gotten in? She relaxed slightly as felt it was actually two hooves holding her down, not a tongue, but then immediately tensed up again. Who was holding her down?

“Shh!” One of the hooves moved up and clamped over her mouth. “I'm gonna make this fast, kay?”

She new that voice. Her heart broke. It was...

“Eeyup. I'm gonna win, and ain't nothin' gonna stop me, not even a pretty mare like yerself.”

She felt his hoof that was holding her down move to her neck, sending a chill down her spine. She knew what he was going to do... she was going to die... here, alone...

Her whole body tensed up. Suddenly, she was standing, and Big Mac was flying through the air. Her mouth hung open... how had... what? Did she just BUCK Big Mac? She just... wow...

She grinned at her new found strength, but stopped as Big Mac came barreling down on her. She jumped to the side, letting him crash into the wall. He spun around, completely unfazed. She had forgotten about his sturdiness. He charged again, a little slower but with enough force to plow down a full grown tree.

She dodged again, this time so that she was closer to the wall. He turned around and charged yet again. She jumped back but hit the wall. She scrambled out of the way as he narrowly missed her, instead leaving a sizable dent in the wall.

She scrambled backwards but tripped over something. She looked down to see what it was. She noticed the hoof that had hit the object was bleeding. The object was... a sword? How the hell was she supposed to fight with a sword? She didn't know how to use one... she didn't even wield knives save to slice something like butter or bread.

The sight of Big Mac getting ready to charge made her sweep the sword up in her mouth. She may not like it, but she didn't exactly have a choice.

Her body tensed up, something commanding her to position herself so as to be ready to strike when the time came. She didn't fight it. It was natural, like she had know this her whole life.

She waited.


Discord watched as Fluttershy struggled to make it through his little game. Her screams, her terror, her strength, these all amused Discord, of course. But what interested him the most was watching her break.

It had begun earlier, but now it was almost complete. She just need to kill somepony, then it would be done. She would know how to act in anger, fear, and the lust for chaos. No longer would she be shy, timid, and... ugh, caring.

She was in a fight with Big Mac... she needed some help. The whole point of this game was to break her, then let her live, so she could deal with her guilt. Oh, that would be so fun to watch!

But she couldn't die if that was to happen. So he decided to... help her. He conjured a sword for her to use and placed it behind her. She stumbled over it, then picked it up and held it at the ready.

It was amusing to see how much she had changed in just the matter of a couple of hours. He picked his nose and threw what he found away as it turned into solid gold.


Big Mac came charging, of course. He was strong, but apparently, didn't seem too smart. She shrugged as she waited to strike. Her mouth clenched the sword, her neck, back, and leg muscles all tense, ready to spring. She looked over and counted down...

3...

2...

1...

She closed her eyes and swung the sword as hard as she could feeling it connect with something. She felt a slight resistance, then nothing as the sword clattered to the ground, falling out of her mouth. She turned around.

Big mac stood there, unmoving. What, had she not killed him? Maybe she should try to break his neck, like he did. Maybe she...

Her eyes fell upon his head, or rather, the lack of his head. His neck sat there, blood pouring out, spilling down his body and onto the ground. It was gross. His body swayed as the blood flowed. It eventually fell down into the pool of blood. The warm, red liquid splashed up, getting Fluttershy in the face.

She didn’t even flinch, her eyes locked onto those of Big Mac's. Lifeless, dull, and empty. She shook her head as she walked away. Now she had to find a way out of here... again.

Maybe she was the last one... maybe Pinkamena had been killed and Glaze! By her count, that should be all of them. So then... maybe she had won.

“Ha ha ha ha ha!”

Or maybe not. The shrill, chilling voice echoed through the room. She looked around, trying to locate it. Once again, it sounded like it was coming from everywhere at once.

“My my, Fluttershy! Look at you! All grown up and killing things! Though I have to admit, not with the same... fervor... as I do, but it's a step forward. Too bad you'll die before you can work on it some more...”

The last word was drawn out, sending a shiver down her spine. This was it... this had to be. If she could kill Pinkamena, she would win. If she didn't... no, she would win. She had to. She wanted to live, so she was going to live.

Pinkamena's dropped in front of Fluttershy, still holding her cleaver in one hoof. “I'm going to win, but I would like you to try.”

Fluttershy wished she had brought along that sword, but oh well. She didn't need it. Right? She could win, barehooved.

Pinkamena lunged forward, and Fluttershy followed suit.

Author's Note:

Only one more chapter! Time to wrap it all up! This is actually, the longest running story i have made to date, save my other one, Chaos of Disharmony. I really like this one, and i hope you all do as well!