• Published 23rd Jan 2014
  • 1,172 Views, 34 Comments

Monopony - Therealdraginslayer



Twilight Sparkle finds a board game in the top of Rarity's attic and asks to borrow it for their upcoming group sleepover. What could go wrong?

  • ...
1
 34
 1,172

The First One Out

Twilight had become increasingly aware of the change in her friends color early in the game, but thought nothing of it. She thought it was simply because of how dark it was in the room. After all, the only light they had were a few candles and a lamp placed next to Twilight’s bed.

But as the game progressed, and everypony had noticed what Rarity’s plan had been with all of the seemingly random stacks of bills, Twilight, Applejack, and Fluttershy had become aware of Rainbow Dash and Rarity starting to become more and more hostile.

It wasn’t their actions that pointed it out. In fact, the both acted much more civilized than they ever had before, which only made Rainbow Dash look more out of place than before. It was actually the way the spoke that was emanating a large amount of bitterness and hate.

“Your turn, Pinkie,” Rainbow Dash said with a smile. “I hope you don’t land on any of our properties. You’ll lose.”

Twilight looked down at Pinkie Pie’s small pile of bills and raised an eyebrow in curiosity. She only had twenty-one bits left. If she landed anywhere, she would lose.

“Oh, it’s okay,” Pinkie replied, taking the dice in her hooves. “I’m sure I’ll land on one of mine.”

“You don’t have any properties, Pinkie Pie,” Fluttershy stated, pointing at the empty space in front of the pink mare. “You sold them all a few turns ago so you wouldn’t be beaten so soon.”

Twilight sighed, looking at the properties she had bought from Pinkie. She wanted to feel bad about it, but she kept remembering that those properties had made her enough money to start building houses and start to slowly build her empire alongside Rarity and Rainbow Dash.

“Oh,” Pinkie said, still smiling. She shrugged and tossed her dice down. They landed on a three and four. Pinkie Pie took a deep breath in and sighed in relief. “For a minute there, I thought I wasn’t going to land on Free…”

The dice turned.

“What was that?!” Twilight exclaimed alongside Pinkie Pie. The dice had turned on their own like a ghostly spirit had possessed the pair of porcelain cubes.

The dice now read four and six.

“Wow!” Rarity exclaimed smugly. “What bad luck! It seems that you landed on one of Rainbow’s properties.”

“No!” Twilight snapped angrily. “We all saw it land on a seven! She’s in Free Parking!”

“I didn’t see anything,” Rainbow Dash said, turning her head away from the board.

Twilight and Applejack glared at the blue pony as Rarity said, “I didn’t either.”

Everypony glared at one another for a brief second until Fluttershy said, “Girls...c-could we all just calm down...just a little.”

“Yeah, girls!” Pinkie exclaimed worriedly. “It’s just a game. Besides, I was going to lose anyway. At least now I can watch and the game can go a little faster.”

Twilight smiled at Pinkie Pie’s willingness to leave the game. It made her feel a little bad about how she was acting. It was just a game, after all. There was no need to get mad over it. There was nothing to be earned from it…

Or so she thought.

Rarity and Rainbow Dash began whispering to one another in the quietest voices they could manage. Twilight couldn’t read their lips; their hooves were covering their mouths, but something told Twilight that there was something in winning this game.

The two nodded and looked at the three other remaining players.

“I think we should make this game a bit more...interesting.” Rainbow Dash carried a sly and evil grin upon her face that worried Twilight greatly.

“What d’ya mean?” Applejack questioned.

Twilight felt her entire body seize up. Her greatest fear had been realized: they would have to do something for losing. It was just supposed to be a game. Why was it becoming so hostile in the room? Twilight could feel it emanating from Applejack as she stared at Rainbow Dash and Rarity.

Feeling it come from Applejack, however, only made the game that much more horrible for Twilight.

“I don’t want to play anymore,” Twilight started before Rainbow Dash spoke her idea. “I don’t think this game is good for us to play.”

“No, Twili’,” Applejack replied sternly and adamantly. She turned her head and met Twilight’s gaze, causing a brooding shadow to be cast over her soul. “We’ve gotta finish this game. It ain’t right to start it and not finish.”

Twilight shook her head and stepped away from the table cautiously. She refused to hear another word from her friends. Instead, she turned tail and started for the window in hopes of finding a way to ignore them.

But as she grew farther and farther away from the game, the more she was drawn to it. Her every thought was becoming engulfed with the horrid board game Monopony. She tried so hard to fight it, but she just needed to play the game.

It was tearing her friends apart but she wanted to play it. What was wrong with herself?

She turned around and saw Rarity smiling smugly as though knowing what was happening to Twilight. Twilight could only look at her curiously, unsure of what to make of Rarity’s reaction. Her legs began to wobble and her knees started to ache. She could go any farther without collapsing to the floor.

Twilight looked at the empty void where she had sat and felt drawn to the place between Rarity and Fluttershy. She could only sigh and look over to Pinkie, who remained dreadfully quiet with apprehension, a true abnormality for Pinkie Pie who was never quiet.

“Care to join us, darling?” Rarity said, smiling still. It was too smug and sly for Twilight to bare. “Good. Now on to what happens when one of us loses…”

Author's Note:

Sorry this one took so long. I've had life and stuff.
Plus, I know it isn't as good of quality as I could have made it. Sorry guys. At least you have the revision to look forward to.