• Published 19th Mar 2012
  • 2,412 Views, 63 Comments

Unexpected Friends - Dark0592

  • ...
7
 63
 2,412

Ch.2 just a slumber party?

Octavia found herself unable to wait for that night. She practiced her Cello, ate a little bit and found herself pacing. When it was finally night she left quickly. She arrived at 10:30, the time Vinyl said her show starts, and found the place to be relatively more empty tonight. “Hello Miss Octavia, you're in for a rare treat tonight.” Tom, the bartender, said. “Huh?” “Normally vinyl doesn't show up until 11, but she's been here looking through her records for ten minutes now...” Tom said. “Why isn't there as many people here as last night?” she asked as she took a seat at the bar. “when she has a show on a Saturday night it's not like her normal shows. It's almost like even she needs a break from the rave music.” he said. “It happens maybe once or twice a month.” he continued. “Can I get ya anything?” he asked. “Not right now, maybe later.” Octavia replied.

“Hey Octy, where's that Cello of yours?” Vinyl asked. “I don't have any concerts or practice today, so I left it at home.” the gray mare replied. “Oh so you don't carry it around everywhere?” Vinyl asked. “no, I had just come out of a late night jazz orchestral when I got here yesterday and I needed a drink.” Octavia replied. “Oh I get it. You wanna stay up here for the show?” she asked as the ponies started getting up in anticipation for the show to start. “Uh sure...for a bit.” the Cellist replied. “Sweet.” Vinyl said. “Now you get to see a real DJ at work.” she continued as she pressed a series of switched and buttons on three different mix boards. “I call this one battle of the Genre.” Vinyl said and switched one of them on. It was the same record from last night, Octavia's music, and it sounded nice an mellow. After a bit she turned another on, resulting in a more heavy metal theme that blasted out of Orchestral, she turned it off then. A few moments more she flipped the third one, which was the definition of rave music. After a while she leveled off the volumes of the three songs and started them at different places, making them blend together. “To tell the truth, I always think your records beat the metal, but my Rave record is a bit more to my liking.” Vinyl yelled over the noise. “Understandable, I fell the same way vice versa.” Octavia yelled back. A Mic appeared out of nowhere and Vinyl had it in her hoof. “Alright Night Ponies! That was battle of the Genre! Who thinks Classical won tonight!” she yelled. About half of the ponies cheered. “How about the metal?!” a few cheered. “And how about the Rave World by yours truly?!” she finished. The rest of them yelled. “looks like Classical and Rave World are at a dead tie!” she yelled. “Let's spin em both!” she continued and put the first and last records spinning. She twiddled around with the settings and mixed the records a bit with some synthetic sounds but in the end they blended perfectly in a synchronized, yet competitive tune. She Qued up a few more pairs similar to the two and then motioned for Vinyl to follow.

“That was Amazing Vinyl! That metal had me plugging my ears and the Bass made my eyes Vibrate...but the way you manage to blend them and yet allow them to keep their individuality?...that's almost Genius.” Octavia yelled over the music. “It's nothing! Been doing it my whole life!” she said as she waved down Tom. He placed down Identical glasses as last night and walked back to the bar. “So why do you always wear those shades?” Octavia called over the music. “I dunno, why do you wear that bow tie?” “...Touche.” “Hey afterwards wanna crash at my place?” Vinyl asked, without yelling as the tracks were changing. “Why?” Octavia replied. “Well it only seems fair...I crashed at yours, now you get to crash at mine.” Vinyl said. Her logic was sound and she was curious where she would live. “Fine, but no more than four drinks tonight...I don't want to have to wonder around at two A.M. With a drunk mare giving directions to a trash can...” Octavia said. “Fine, you win.” Vinyl said with a laugh. The night went on and Vinyl spread her time out at the mix board, mingling with some of her less...eccentric...fans and hanging out with Octavia.

“I'm just glad I don't have to carry you this time.” Octavia said as they walked the opposite way from last night out outside of the club. “Ya, and I'm glad I'm aware of what's going on...” Vinyl said, earning a laugh from Octavia. “I find this rather odd.” Octavia said after a bit. “Why's that?” “Well. I always thought you needed a proper instrument to be called a musician...I also thought good friends take time...both of those assumptions have been blown clean out of the water.” the Gray mare said. “Heh, yeah...I just met you a night ago, yet I'm inviting you over for a sleepover like a little filly.” Vinyl said with a giggle. “Little Filly huh? I don't think Little Fillies kiss each other for making a damn good breakfast.” Octavia said. “Well of course not, most Fillies can't cook!” Vinyl said. Octavia burst out laughing and was joined by Vinyl a moment later. “I've always heard about one night stands, but I never could see how they could possibly happen. But now I see.” Octavia said, thinking aloud. “Wha?!” Vinyl blurted out. “Huh? Oh Celestia I'm thinking aloud again...I don't mean it like THAT Vinyl... it's just if two polar opposites can become such good friends in one night I realize how a one night stand could happen. “Oh ok. I get that too...you had me scared for a second there.” Vinyl said, the flush on her face retreating. “Why would I have you scared? You seem like a Pony that gets around...what, never had Sex with a Mare before?” Octavia asked, somehow keeping a straight and plain face and voice. “Dude how can you be so blunt?!” Vinyl yelled.

“I haven't been with a Mare before...not even a Stallion...” Vinyl said, her cheeks turning pink. “Oh my Celestia you're a Virgin? I never would have guessed.” Octavia said. “Hey hey what's that supposed to mean?” Vinyl asked, afraid she had just been called a whore. Octavia rolled her eyes. “Come on, I'm not going to call my best friend something like that...a bit idiotic at times but that's alright. You just seem like a Pony that knows how to have fun.” Octavia explained. “Oh...ok...good- wait hey idiotic?...well...can't argue with that...besides what would you know about having fun? You said I was the first pony ever to kiss you.” Vinyl said. “Bad night, first night of Adulthood...had to kick a few faces in.” Octavia said. “What do you mean?” Vinyl asked. “Well...when Stallions and Mares alike try to...take advantage of a first time drinker...hooves go flying.” Octavia said. “Whoa so I'm not the only one with crazy nights.” Vinyl said with a grin. “We're here!” Vinyl said. The apartment was smaller than Octavia's, and it was definitely not as well kept. “I'm beat, bed or couch?” Vinyl asked. “You're giving me a choice? How Gentlemareish of you. I'll take whatever...too tired to care.” “Fine, you get the couch.” she said and pulled a mattress from the corner in front of it. “That's the bed?” Octavia asked. “Yep, not as soft as the couch but I prefer a firm place to sleep...the couch is made of some weird stuff that makes it light and fluffy...maybe they put clouds in the fabric or something.” Vinyl said, sprawling out on the bed after grabbing two pillows and two blankets from a messy closet and handing one pair to Octavia. The couch was soft and comfortable for her, the pillow nice and unworn and the blanket warm and cozy. The two of them were asleep in seconds, though what Neither of them knew was that Octavia tended to be a restless sleeper.

Vinyl awoke, once again, to having her forelegs wrapped around a sleeping Octavia and vice versa. Confused, she looked up at the couch...the pillow was still there and the blanket still halfway on it. 'Must have fallen off...I wonder what we dream about if we wake up like this.' Vinyl said. She froze, her dream popping into her mind. Her cheeks gained a fiery red color as she tried to shake the dream from her mind, to no avail. She looked at Octavia, who was still in the bliss of sleep. Vinyl smiled and carefully got up, succeeding in not disturbing the gray mare. She thought a moment and walked into the kitchen. She looked around, remembering what was in each of the cupboards. She used her magic to retrieve a few things from some of them. Some high quality coffee mix, a coffee maker, a pot and four bags of instant ramen. The coffee maker she let the magic work, she was used to it by now, and she used her hooves to put the pot on the stove after filling it with water. She magicked over a large plastic spaghetti fork that she used for the ramen and two bowls and forks and set the utensils and bowls aside as she opened the packets. She couldn't decide whether to make shrimp or oriental, so she just used both. Once the dry blocks of noodles were in the water she used her magic to heat the water quickly and cook the noodles. Halfway through the cooking time she added half of the broth packets and stirred. When it was done she added the other two and stirred it even more. She used the fork to get most of the noodles into the two bowls, pouring half of the broth into a cup and the rest into the two bowls.

“Octavia had awoken to the sound of Coffee being made. She looked around and found herself on the bed. “Huh?” she said to herself, she looked up to the couch and came to the same conclusion Vinyl had. “Must have fallen off...what is that smell?” she said to herself. She realized it was coming from the kitchen to where Vinyl had a pot. She couldn't see what she was doing with it so the gray mare got up and walked into the kitchen, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. “Oh, did I wake you?” Vinyl asked when she turned around to see Octavia. “What is that smell?” Octavia asked, her stomach growling. “Instant Ramen.” Vinyl said, setting two bowls on the table. “Ramen?...I've seen it in super markets but I've never thought to get it...I normally cook my own meals anyways.” Octavia said, sitting down and eying the pile of noodles swimming in broth. “It;'s a quick three or four minute cook, really just heating the noodles and broth and hydrating them.” Vinyl said, taking a bunch of the noodles and slurping them up. Octavia cautiously took her fork and put noodles to her mouth. She found the stream of noodles she had captured with the fork were longer than she thought so she wound up slurping them up as well. “Wow, that's really good...is that broth? In a cup?” she asked, noticing the cup of dark brown liquid. Vinyl shrugged. “I like the broth. Sue me.” she said.

After they finished the ramen breakfast and their coffee Vinyl took the glass, which had attained a film at the top. She just twisted her fork around it a few times to collect the solidified broth and she proceeded to drink. “hm...can...can I have a taste?” Octavia asked. “Sure.” Vinyl replied and levitated the glass in front of Octavia. She recognized a more enhanced flavor in the broth, but she noticed something she had only tasted once before. It was the taste on her lips a bit after Vinyl had kissed her. It wasn't unpleasant at all. Acting purely on Instinct, Octavia walked over to Vinyl with red cheeks. “What're you doing Octy?” Vinyl asked. Octavia quickly planted a kiss on the white Unicorn before her sense could stop her. They both flushed up. “W-What was that for?” Vinyl asked. “You kissed m-me after I made you breakfast...return the favor, y'know?” Octavia said nervously.

Vinyl smiled and leaned forward a bit. “You know...I really don't care that I met you two nights ago and half of our friendship has been under the influence...You're a pretty awesome mare.” she said, her voice gaining an ever so seductive tone. Octavia knew exactly what Vinyl was suggesting. She wasn't against Mares dating each other at all, she just didn't expect to be one of those Mares. In fact, she hadn't really expected to be together with anyone. Every fiber in her body told her to kiss Vinyl, but her mind was trying to work in overdrive. She thought about it and she realized this could be a learning experience for her, if not anything else. Her mind temporarily Sated she leaned into the DJ and they shared their first completely mutual kiss. It got quite a bit more passionate after a while, the both of them forced to breath through their noses as to not break the contact. Octavia and Vinyl both realized where their passion was taking them, stumbling towards the bed, but neither of them cared in the slightest.

“Honestly Octy, I don't care what other ponies think. If they think bad of us then let them think bad of us. If they get violent we'll buck them like a tree.” Vinyl said as they walked towards Octavia's apartment a few hours later after...cleaning up. “Even Celestia herself has a Marefriend, a Unicorn named Twilight Sparkle...it's not uncommon now.” she said. “I know...but I wonder what my Ensemble would think...or...oh Celestia...my parents...” she said. “Hey, if they loved you enough to allow you to pursue your passion and raise you like they did then at the most they'd be concerned about the two night stand, and at me...not you.” Vinyl said. “But that's even worse. I know how to deal with me getting scolded, but if Somepony I just fell for gets scolded by my own parents I'd be broken inside.” Octavia said. “Well either way I'll be there to pick up the pieces. My parents are rather...eccentric...you'd have to meet them but I don't plan on that happening for a while.” “Why not?” “Trust me...you don't want to deal with them unless you're absolutely sure about everything about you.” Vinyl said. She seemed to be talking from experience so Octavia promised herself to ask about it. “M'kay...I guess for now...let's just see where it goes.” Octavia said as they reached her apartment. “That's just how I like it.” Vinyl said, leaning forward. Octavia smiled and met Vinyl, kissing for a few seconds. “I have a practice on Tuesday, a rehearsal on Wednesday and a concert on Thursday, the Rehearsal is open to anyone and I can get you a ticket to the concert if you'd like to come. “Sure, heh...you got to see me play twice now I get to see you twice...seems the Universe knew what it was doing from the start.” Vinyl said. “Maybe..see you then.” Octavia said and closed the door.