• Published 14th Jan 2014
  • 4,046 Views, 115 Comments

Flying Without Wings - FierceRainbow



Applejack becomes jealous of both Twilight and Rainbow Dash having wings.

  • ...
24
 115
 4,046

Chapter Nine: The Beast

The Beast

She broke past the apple’s skin with her teeth, easily breaking off a large chunk to chomp up in her jaws. The farmpony ate angrily, her stomach craving more than she could give.

Twilight nibbled on her own fruit cautiously. “We need to find some more food. This won’t last us.”

“Darn tootin’ it ain’t,” Applejack growled, glaring at her namesake. “I’m hungrier than a timberwolf on th’ prowl.”

“I know, right?” Rainbow Dash rubbed her stomach, tossing her already stripped applecore behind her. “I’m going to need a thousand apples to fill this hole.”

Applejack sighed, looking out of the opening of the hollowed out tree trunk they lay in, admiring the bright beams of sunlight dappling the ground. She could catch glimpses of the sky through the gaps, where she could picture herself flying with Twilight and Rainbow. I cain’t forget why we’re doin’ this in th’ first place. I gotta make ‘em happy.

She took another, slower, bite from the apple. “When are we headin’ out again? I’m gettin’ all funny from sittin’ ‘ere so long.”

“As soon as we’re done with breakfast,” Twilight said calmly.

“Then I’m done,” she tore the flesh off her apple rapidly, tossing the core to the same corner as Rainbow’s had previously flown. She shrugged on saddlebags, looking down at Twilight. “Ya’ll ready?”

“Oh, right,” Twilight hurried to finish her apple.

The sunlight warmed Applejack up from a cold, cramped night in damp darkness, loosening up her limbs for the day. Filled with a sudden energy, she bounded ahead, saddlebags shaking on her back. “Come on, ya slowpokes! Time’s a-wastin’!”

She heard their laughter behind her as both mares chased after Applejack. She wasn’t worried, though. Having a head start and being basically the fastest runner, there was no way they could beat her. She’d forgotten about the wings.

Twilight and Rainbow Dash soared over her head, beaming at each other as they spun along the air currents. Rainbow paused to stick her tongue out jokingly at Applejack, before buzzing away after Twilight.

Instead of pressing herself to catch them, Applejack felt herself slowing down until she came to a complete stop, her breath the only sound aside from the pair’s loud shrieks of happiness in the distance. Her breath hitched alarmingly and she ducked her head, hoping they wouldn’t see the moisture gathering in her eyes.

Doncha dare cry, AJ, Applejack swallowed hard through her sore throat shaking her head. Ya’ll gonna be with them soon, it’s jus’ a matter o’ time.

Taking a deep, shaky breath she raised her head and firmly set off after her two marefriends, who had just stopped to wait for her. It was then that she felt them, thrumming vibration beneath her hooves. She paused, peering down at the dusty dirt for any signs of cracks. Her head snapped up at a sudden float, the bushes rustling wildly before they were torn to pieces by the terrifying appearance of a mantecore, drool dripping from its sharp fangs.

Applejack screamed in shock, scrambling back a few paces to observe the beast. Its eyes were glowing with an undeniably fury, scraping the ground with its feat. The mantecore snarled, spreading its jaws wide to let out another ear-splitting roar.

The force of the warm air rushing out of the mighty jaws swept the sturdy mare of her feet, leaving her to fall flat on her face. Applejack groaned, her eyes ringing tirelessly. D-darnit.

Shaking it off brusquely, she lifted her head to press her snout against a big black nose, angry streams of hot air blowing out of it, those dark eyes burning into her own with an intent gaze. She yelped, scuffling backwards to get away from it. The rough feeling of bark greeted her as she bashed against a tree.

The mantecore drew closer, a sly grin pulling at the corners of its wet grip as it realized how easy its prey was. Applejack narrowed her eyes. I ain’t goin’ down that easy, ya big lub.

She waited until she was engulfed by its shadow as it lent over, preparing to swing her back legs into its jaw and teach it not to mess with an apple.

“Hold it right there!”

Two heads, one of a small orange pony, and one of a wild manticore, spun around. Rainbow Dash hovered into the air next to Twilight, scowling angrily at the beast. “Get away from her before we beat you to a pulp.”

The mantecore hissed, drawing away from Applejack to focus on the new flying pieces of prey. Dread settled in her stomach like led as it crawled towards them. No, no!

Taking it back turned as an opportunity, she galloped the short distance to where it was standing, pivoting on her front legs to launch a mighty kick against its rear.

It froze, a pained expression overcoming its face. Applejack smirked indulgently at her success, a feeling that soon disappeared as it turned to face her with a fresh wave of angry.

She didn’t even see it coming. The huge paw hit her chest squarely, flinging her swiftly through the air. A single, strangled scream tore itself from her lips before she hit the tree.

Applejack dropped like a sack of apples to the ground, all her senses overloaded with the sudden, burning pain. In the distance, screams and shouts rang out, with an echo, but none of that registered. The last thing she saw was Twilight and Rainbow Dash swooping around the beast, trying desperately to bring it down. Then all went black.

Author's Note:

So hey, if you've given this a favorite, would you mind leaving a like as well? Thanks. :)