• Published 13th Jan 2014
  • 1,150 Views, 16 Comments

A New Start - Oculus



A young man is K.I.A. while fighting in the military. When he wakes up in a strange place he must face challenges like never before.

  • ...
7
 16
 1,150

Chapter 2: Screaming in Death's Face

"Mother humper..." I jumped off the strange beast and ran back a few feet before turning around and pulling my M16 out. I aimed where the beast was only to see that it had vanished. I did a quick 360 to make sure it hadn't snuck up on me and sighed. Imagination must be getting the best of me... I was about to put my gun away when I heard a low growl behind me. Before I could even turn to defend myself I felt pain shoot through my right calf and right side, barely above my hip. I cried out in pain before smashing the bottom of my gun against the attacker's face, making them let go and back away. "You want to dance? LET'S DANCE!" I screamed at the top of my lungs, letting a barrage of bullets stream from the barrel of my gun, obliterating the wolf and catching it on fire. "Incendiary rounds, that was a surprise." I groaned and fell down to my good knee. Upon observation it seemed like the bite mark had barely missed my internal organs and the scratch was fairly deep, but I could still limp.

After searching my bag for the med-kit I had forgotten to pack I groaned and sat down on a rock, making sure this one wasn't an animal this time. I poured half of my water on my two wounds, wincing as I did so. Then I removed my shirt and ripped it into long strips before wrapping them around my lower torso and right calf. I began to limp in a random direction. After hours of wandering aimlessly I saw a small bit of light up ahead. I thanked God and limped as fast as I could towards the exit. Once I got outside I had to shield my eyes from the blinding sun. Once my eyes had readjusted I noticed a small cottage on the other side of a stream and a bridge that lead to it. Once I had slowly hobbled my way to the bridge, I began to feel lightheaded so I used the low banister as support. When I got to the other side my bad leg had given out and I fell, landing on my arm.

Simon says CRUNCH!

I screamed out in pain as I felt, and heard, a sickening crunch come from my right shoulder. I sat up and leaned against the bridge walls, trying to remain conscious. It took me a few tries but after a minute I realigned my shoulder with another sickening crunch and a cry of pain. I looked over at my bag and decided to rummage through the pockets to see if there was anything in there I hadn't known about. There was nothing but a little lint in the first five pockets but in the last one there was a single Tylenol pill. I popped it in my mouth and took a swig of water to down the pill. After I swallowed my vision immediately became blurry. I kept trying to stay awake but I was slipping into the darkness. With the last of my energy I yelled out at the top of my lungs.

"Friendly down! Help!" Thud...Darkness...

Although I was awake and I could hear soft voices I was unable to feel anything, nor could I move. "...just can't understand it, I've read and reread all the books I have and the ones at the old castle, it doesn't appear in anything!" I could hear the annoyance in her voice as the female approached. It sounded almost as if she and five other people were riding on silenced horses. "I know it doesn't make sense but maybe when he wakes up you can ask him some questions, if he feels like it that is." This time I heard a softer voice. She spoke almost as if she didn't want to be heard. There were four other voices that seemed to be having a quiet discussion amongst themselves, sadly they were too far for me to understand anything they said. I could have sworn I've heard these voices before... I thought to myself.

"Well whatever he is we need to make sure he isn't dangerous before we do anything. I'm going to un paralyze him so be ready girls, we don't know what to expect." I felt a tingle run down from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet, it was feeling more intense in my spine area. So this woman that acts like she's never seen another human being in her life has the ability to paralyze people? Well that would be helpful in the military.

Once my body regained feeling I went stiff. Pain erupted through my skull, side, and calf. It was taking all of my energy not to scream right then and there. The medicine I had taken earlier wasn't helping at all so I assumed I had been unconscious for longer than 24 hours. Slowly I attempted to relax and slowly let out the breath I didn't know I had been holding. Taking a few more deep breaths I calmed myself down to a tolerable level and tried to open my eyes, only to find they had been caked shut with dried rheum. Until now I hadn't realized the whispering had stopped and I could practically feel the stangers' eyes burning through me.

"Um, good morning, how are you feeling?" That soft voice from earlier began to speak up again, I could hear a motherly tone in her voice. I mumbled something unintelligible, clenching my teeth together. "Mumble Fumble!" I high pitched voice screeched from the back of the room. I moved my hands up to my eyes and rubbed the offending gunk from my eyes before repeating myself. "I said I feel like a pile of manure." The room went silent for a moment before that same tingling feeling returned, but this time it felt like it had heat behind it. Not enough heat to hurt me but enough to feel like drinking hot coco on a cold winter night. "Sorry about that, is this better?" The first voice I heard asked, I could hear the slightest nasaliness to it. I nodded slowly, slowly opening my eyes to look around.

I think my brain broke because for the longest time I sat there with eyes wider than a baseball and mouth hanging open.

Author's Note:

Dried Rheum: Eye gunk you get when you wake up; Sandman's sand.

But anyways, thanks for reading :D reviews would be very much appreciated so I know how I can fix any smudges in my story :3

Rarity: Smudge?! WHERE?!