• Published 13th Jan 2014
  • 1,151 Views, 16 Comments

A New Start - Oculus



A young man is K.I.A. while fighting in the military. When he wakes up in a strange place he must face challenges like never before.

  • ...
7
 16
 1,151

Chapter 1: Welcome Maggot!

I was rudely awoken from my dreams of fluffy unicorns with pink fur dancing on top of a rainbow by the sound of someone banging on my front door. I got up with a groan and thanked luck I had fallen asleep in my work clothes, a plain white T-Shirt and blue jeans. I trudged downstairs and almost tripped on the last step, catching myself on the railing before my face could look like a pancake. I opened the door, now wanting IHOP for breakfast, to see someone wearing a general's uniform standing there.

"Private Myer, you are needed for duty. Pack your bags and meet at the barracks at 1300 hours." Before I had a chance to respond he marched away and got in the truck. I watched in awe as he drove away. Mainly because I had forgotten I joined the army reserves. I finally closed the door and headed into the kitchen for some breakfast. After I had poured myself a bowl of Sergeant Squish I glanced at the clock. Seeing it was already noon I realized I only had an hour left so I ate quickly and got my uniform on before heading out to the barracks.

"ATTENTION!" The general screamed at me when I arrived minutes late. I stood stiff as a board with my head straight ahead. "I thought I told you to be here at 1300 hours ON THE DOT! When I say 1300 hours, I MEAN 1300 HOURS! You got that?" I tried my hardest not to flinch at the voice that almost rivaled Luna's royal voice. "Sir yes sir!" I responded immediately. He nodded and told me to follow him inside.

After marching down the dirt road we finally made it to the training court where Sergeant Lakerfield was waiting for me. "This is your final day here private, better make it count." I nodded and immediately went to work with my warm ups. I did pushups, sit ups, jumping jacks, and various stretches. Finally after about a half hour of stretching and warming up we got down to the fight training.

At the end of the day they put me on a plane and I was sent out to Iraq to help fight in the war. I decided to take a nap on the way there. For the second time today I was woken up from my dreams with a loud noise. This time, instead of banging at the door, it was a trumpet playing. I immediately stood up at attention and saluted the general. "At ease private. This is your first day out on the field, correct?" I replied with a firm sir yes sir and put my hand down, relaxing slightly but still on guard. "Alright so here's what you're going to do. I want you to make your way to the supply house double time. There grab your gear, M16, M11, frags, armor, and just add water: water pouch. Then you are to get a ride to take a small town as a base of operations." I nodded and he moved out of the door way, allowing me to rush out of the plane and run as fast as I could towards the supply tent.

As soon as I arrived I had to jump out of the way of a jeep rushing by. I noticed there were bullet holes all in it and blood was on the windshield. Pushing the thought out of my mind I hurriedly grabbed my gear and pulled on my bulletproof vest and helmet. After I was equipped I hurriedly rushed out of the tent and waved down a jeep heading out. "Where ya heading?" The man in the driver's seat asked without taking his eyes off of the road. "Just need to find a small town to take as a base of operations." He nodded and drove down a side road that lead to a small town east of the barracks we had just came from.

Upon arrival the town appeared to be deserted, there was no life to be found anywhere with first glance. The man next to me, Sergeant Lilienfeld, told me to stay put. He got out of the Jeep and walked a few feet in front of it before pulling out his walkie talkie and speaking into it. After he had put it away the Sergeant began walking house to house, knocking on the doors. One of the houses actually opened but no one was inside. With no luck of finding anyone Sergeant Lilienfeld came back to the vehicle just in time for two more to pull up, each holding two more soldiers.

Once they pulled up and got out the soldiers walked over to our jeep and asked the Sergeant what happened. "When we arrived here to take the town as a base of operations there was no one here. No enemies, no civies, nothing." The rest of the group looked like that were trying to figure this out when something bright flashed across my eyes. Immediately I know what this was and I ducked down. "Sniper! Get down!" I had warned them too late, one of the men went wide eyed as a bullet went straight through his skull, instantly killing him.

The rest of the group hid behind the vehicles as more enemy troops began appearing from behind the distant hills and were closing in fast on jeeps of their own. After a minute of ear-shattering sounds coming from guns from behind us and from my own team everything went silent. When I peeked around the corner I heard someone screaming and I saw a man with a bomb strapped to his chest running at us. Lilienfeld took out his pistol and shot the man twice in the shoulder and once in the stomach before he dropped down in a pool of blood, staining the sand.

We continued to take fire for what felt like forever before the gun sounds began to slow down, the enemy was falling back, considering they had only sent five to our six and half of both sides had already been taken out, Lilienfeld and the suicide bomber included. After the onslaught of bullets had stopped I looked over the edge of the jeep to see that the enemies had already left. I told the rest of the group to stand up before I heard a familiar clicking noise. Looking down at my feet I saw a frag grenade had been pulled and tossed at our feet. Grabbing the grenade I ran as far out as I could, about fifteen feet or so. As soon as I threw it, the grenade exploded two feet away from me. I could feel my limbs being blown off and my skin burning before I had finally died from the explosion.

Pain, fear, sorrow, wet dirt. This is what I felt when I woke up in a strange and dark location. I stood up and looked over myself, checking for injuries but finding none. Deciding to question this after I get out of wherever I was, I picked up my equipment that was next to my foot and began walking. After a few minutes my eyes adjusted and I could see I was in a forest. I continued walking before my fears got to the best of me. After half an hour I had to stop and sit on a log to take a drink of my water. I wiped the sweat that was rolling down my face, the humidity was beginning to get to me. After I put my water back in my sack I hear an angry growl from below me. Looking down I noticed I was sitting, not on a log but instead, a wolf made of logs and sticks. "Mother humper..."

Author's Note:

I apologize for my lack of knowledge of the military. I'm planning on joining in the future but at the moment, I'm not in.
Find the Easter eggs :3
(I do not own any characters from Tears of War, I used him solely as an Easter egg and he will not be shown in the series again)

Thanks for reading :D reviews would be greatly appreciated.