• Published 11th Jan 2014
  • 766 Views, 27 Comments

The Box - lunabrony



When a strange box appears on the front porch of the Golden Oaks Library, Twilight may just go out of her mind trying to figure out where it came from.

  • ...
2
 27
 766

Ponies and Packages: Rainbow Dash

Poor Spike was confused. And it wasn't just regular confusion, this was... advanced confusion.

"So you're saying that just because it feels like an empty box, and looks like an empty box, and we can't hear or feel or smell anything inside it, it might not be empty? How do we know anything's even in there?"

"We don't," Twilight said. "But somepony obviously took the time to charm the box so that whatever's inside would be protected. And that makes it important. I've never once let an important package go without study, and I'm not about to start now. It could be a new book!"

"Or it could be nothing. Or old cheese," Spike pointed out.

"Don't be silly. Who would send me old cheese?"

By this point, they had reached the farm, where Applejack and Rainbow Dash were involved in a hoof wrestling match. Applejack's country grit against Rainbow's physical peak form, the two were a well placed match.

Twilight approached slowly and quietly, allowing the two to attempt to finish their game.

"How long have they been at this?"

"Spike, hush."

"Three hours'n countin'!" Applejack said with a wave of her hoof. "Y'all wanna play?"

Rainbow Dash took advantage of the break in concentration and slammed Applejack's hoof down on the ground. "One zip!" She announced.

"That one don't count, Rainbow! We've got guests!"

"Bah, you're just a sore loser. What's up?"

Twilight quickly explained the predicament of the box.

"Well if anypony kin get it open, it's mah brother. MACINTOSH! GIT OUT HERE!" She hollered.

Twilight's color drained slightly. "We want to open the box, not pulverize it..."

"Oh don'tcha worry Twi. He won't harm yer... what's in it?"

"We don't know."

The hefty red stallion appeared on the scene, looking between the three of them. Applejack pointed to the box. "Can ya open this? Twi here is havin' some trouble."

Macintosh looked annoyed at having been called out from his chores to open a box, but shrugged in reply.

"Eeeyup."

"I knew he was gonna say that..." Spike muttered. Twilight cuffed him in the back of the head ever so gently.

"Now wait just a minute," Rainbow Dash said. "If anypony can get this box open, it's me. Can I try it?"

Nopony objected, and Macintosh stepped aside.

"Be careful," Twilight insisted.

Rainbow Dash gripped the box tightly and shot directly upward so quickly it took a few moments to realize she'd even left the ground. She flew upwards as fast and high as she dared, ignoring the stinging particles of frost that formed on her wings. She couldn't stay at this altitude for long, so folded her wings and dove sharply, straight towards the ground.

Down below, Twilight facehooved so hard Spike felt her entire body shake.

"Is she doing what ah think she's doing?"

"Yes," Twilight responded.

Feeling the waves of air rush around her, Rainbow fell straight for the ground, ripples of color flashing around her front legs.

"Just... a little... more..."

Reaching dangerously high speeds, the sonic blast of color burst behind her seconds before she swept parallel to the ground to avoid an ugly demise. It took a moment or two to return to the others, beaming with excitement and adrenaline.

"That was awesome!" She declared, setting the box down.

Twilight pounced on it. The box didn't appear to be changed in the slightest. Twilight looked astounded.

"I've never seen anything survive a sonic blast like that before..."

Rainbow Dash coughed loudly.

"Other than you."

Big Macintosh looked carefully over the box, turning it over, giving it a shake or two, but nothing was ever felt or heard. He gripped the sides of the box with his forelegs and attempted to tear it open,

Nothing.

He looked surprised. Nothing had ever refused to open before. Not even Granny's pickle jars. He struggled with the box a few more times, eventually becoming so annoyed with it that he set the box down on the ground.

"Nope," he said finally.

"Well, ain't that the darndest thing," Applejack said. "Ah suppose ah can give it a..."

"Nope!" came the gruff reply again, and with a massive kick from his powerful back legs, Macintosh sent the box flying over the nearest set of trees.

Twilight was horrified. "What did you do that for?!"

Applejack sighed. "He's just a bit too proud fer his own good, 'n all. Doesn't like the idea of somethin' he can't open. But that's still no reason tah treat a box like that!"

Macintosh huffed.

"Well come on, we gotta find it before someone else does! Or something happens to it!" Twilight raced off in the direction the box had flown, with Applejack and Spike right behind her.

"You guys go ahead!" Rainbow Dash called. "I'll meet you there!" When they were gone, she shrugged and flew back up towards her favorite cloud. "Yeah, right. Like I'm gonna run all over Equestria for a box. It's totally awesome nap time."

***

Three fillies sitting around the table of their clubhouse were busily engaged in a very important decision making process. They were attempting to get cutie marks in dress making, for which Rarity had eagerly supplied some basic materials.

"How about this?" Scootaloo asked, holding up a brownish oversized hat.

"Ew, no. Giant hats are Rarity's thing, and even she barely makes them work," Sweetie said.

"One of these?" Apple Bloom asked, holding up several sparkly bow ties.

"Bow ties are cool," Scootaloo said.

"Well I think we should-"

At that moment one of the windows shattered as a large box sailed through it, and all three of them jumped and screamed, scrambling backwards away from the broken glass.

"It's a box!"

"I can see that, dodo."

"Somepony must have lost it!"

"You know what this means, right?"

"CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS DELIVERY PONIES!"