• Published 19th Mar 2012
  • 2,034 Views, 42 Comments

Vinyl Secret. - Proud Blank Flank



Ever wonder why Vinyl Scratch wears goggles? Do you want to know her secret?

  • ...
2
 42
 2,034

Normality.

Never does it occur to anypony that the objects and meaning we search for in our lives could possibly be restrained from within our grasps due to deceit. We may never acknowledge the simple fact our individual existence is based upon a fake reality that somepony has chosen to enforce on us. Some may suggest lying as an option to prevent offending or distressing, however; a simple, or even complex, fib can create a false reality for any individual. Usually it is the ones we share affection for most that tend to retain us from a, sometimes hurtful, truth. Which is the true irony of lying in itself. In some cases, lying not only creates a false reality for a single party, but for others around them as well. This is also true for a familiar pony, known as Vinyl Scratch.

Chapter One: Normality.

Vinyl Scratch was an ordinary pony, well; at least six months ago she was. Now she lives with her older sister Star Shy. Six months ago Vinyl Scratch suffered a serious case of amnesia, causing her to lose all memories of her life before hand. Her older sister works as the Head of Development and Research at the Manehatten Medical Center. Star Shy decided to take care of Vinyl Scratch in Ponyville until she recovered from her forgotten life.

The only physical resemblance of Vinyl Scratch and Star Shy is the fact they are both Unicorns. Vinyl Scratch being a White hided unicorn, spiked-puffy mane with Dark and light blue streaks that flow like rays of sun light, her double-eighth note cutie mark compliments her occupation as a DJ, and her purple shaded steam-punk goggles, Then there's Star Shy; a light velvet unicorn with dull purple mane that includes a light gray streak, and a clipboard cutie mark that fits her perfectly.

“It's time for bed little sis'!” Star Shy is heard yelling from upstairs. Vinyl Scratch had been downstairs in the living room all day working on her new mixes and beats. Vinyl worked tediously sundown after sundown in order to create a perfect track.

“I'm coming, I'm coming!” Vinyl replied as she made her way upstairs to her bedroom, where Star Shy waited patiently. Dark blue painted walls enclosed the room. A single lamp, the only source of light, dimly lit the room from above her bed.

Vinyl stepped into her bedroom and headed straight to her bed where Star Shy was sitting next to within a comfortable chair. “Hey Sis'. . .” Vinyl Scratch whispered while she crawled under the covers.

“Yes, Vinyl? By the way, you forgot to take your goggles off.” Star Shy said as she placed her hoof on her own face.

“Oh, Oops.” Vinyl giggled. She reached up with both hooves, unwrapping the fashion statement from around her head. She placed them gently on the shelf that comfortably sits above the bed then looked back to her sister with both hooves paced upon her blanket. “Can you tell me what happened to mom and dad again?” she innocently asked.

Star Shy sighed, setting her hooves on her lap. “I've told you this story before, Vinyl. . .” said Star Shy with worry in her eyes. “I don't want you having nightmares.”

“Oh, Please! Just one more time!” Vinyl whined.

Star Shy huffed, “Oh, fine.”

“Good.” said Vinyl, satisfied with her victory. Vinyl snuggled down into her covers, placing her head on her pillow, and staring at her older sister with anticipation of the same old story she heard many times.

“Where to begin. . . Well. . . Our parents were poor ponies, with only the clothes on their back. After 3 years, they considered giving me up for adoption as food became scarce, but; when they realized a second filly was on the way, they waited. They wanted us to be together when they sent us to the orphanage.-”

“But why did they have to give us up? Didn't they love us?” Vinyl scratch interrupted.

“Very much. They wanted a better life for us then the one they could offer. It was the only way they could allow us to have a normal life.” Star Shy finished with the up most compassion.

“Thank you, sis'.” Vinyl smiled then rolled on to her side facing away from Star Shy.

Star Shy patted her lap, stood, and turned the lonely lamp off. The room flooded with darkness while the only light source came outside the door.

“Goodnight, Vinyl.” Star Shy whispered as she slowly closed the bedroom door.

“Night, sis'.” Vinyl replied quietly.

She says our parents wanted us to live normal lives. . . but I'm far from normal. . . Vinyl thought. She closed her eyes, thinking of where her parents could possibly be. Vinyl was right. She is far from normal. Ever since she first suffered amnesia, her emotions and speech became impaired. She faced communication problems between her and the other ponies that reside in Ponyville She is often shunned as an outcast. Vinyl wants nothing more but to be “normal” and have her memories back. Whatever normal means.

Once, While Vinyl was shopping, she bumped into a colt named Blaze Fury. Without hesitation Blaze apologized, unfortunately; Vinyl Scratch had said “It's okay.” with a cold tone of voice on accident.

Star Shy headed into her room to finish her report. Papers scattered the room, as if a tornado had suddenly ripped apart a notebook, leaving the remains specially for her. Star Shy yawned gently and sat down within her office chair. She pulled herself up to her vintage desk and filed through stacks of papers that blanketed her workspace.

With her magic, she levitated her quill into the air, surrounding the quill with a dull light. She reported back to the Manehatten Medical Center on Vinyl Scratch's conditions, but not of her amnesia. Oh no, Star Shy kept watch over Vinyl Scratch for other reasons.

Once she was done writing her new report, she used a magic spell to instantly send it to Manehatten, where they quickly received and replied. After reading the reply, she got up from her chair, turned off the lights, and settled into bed. Star Shy wondered why Vinyl Scratch continues to repeatedly insist on hearing the story of their parents. There was only one reason Vinyl Scratch had to know, and that was to hope. It gave Vinyl Scratch a reason to dream peacefully and to dream of her parents.

If only Vinyl Scratch knew the truth about her existence, then maybe she could live a normal life.