• Published 14th Jan 2014
  • 457 Views, 6 Comments

An Unexpected Trip - Shadow Fall



During a normal average day for our as of yet unnamed character, his vision fades and blacks out, waking up with no memory of who he is, where he's from, or anything.

  • ...
3
 6
 457

Chapter 7

"Come on slowpoke!" Pinkie called back to me as I made my way towards her slowly. Once I finally made it to her I collapsed with a huff.

Groaning, I rolled over and stared up at the cerulean sky. I was started getting used to seeing it by now.

"I'm out of shape," I muttered, feeling tired and more hungry than before.

"Well you could work on the farm with Applejack," Pinkie suggested, "I'm sure she wouldn't mind an extra hoof and it would help get you in shape!"

"Get who in shape?" I heard somepony say in an obviously southern country accent. I turned my head to look at who was talking. At first I couldn't see who it was because the sun was right behind her and it blinded me. It wasn't until she stepped into the way of the sun that I saw her. Her coat was orange, of what kind I'm not sure, and her mane, and tail, were straw blonde. They were also tied in buns at the end. She also wore a stetson hat which complimented her southern bell looks.

I rolled over and stood up, quickly brushing myself off.

"Me," I answered, feeling embarrassed for having to get in shape in the first place.

The orange mare looked at me and looked me over before asking, "Who're you?"

"He doesn't know," Twilight said as she trotted over to us, surprising me since she came from the opposite direction we had. "I thought you were were going to be at the barn cleaning up today."

"Well ah was, but we fell a bit behind so ah'm helpin' Big Mac buck some trees today." Applejack explained.

"Bucking trees?" I asked, completely confused.

"Yeah, ta get the apples down," Applejacke explained, giving me a look not unlike the one Rainbow Dash had given me when I had asked if she had been laying on a could. Again, I felt foolish.

"He doesn't remember who he is," Twilight said in my defense, "In fact I don't think he remembers anything besides the basic everyday things."

Applejack looked me over again before turning to Twilight. "Well what d'ya plan ta do Twi?"

"Well we're going to see Zecora to see if she can help us, but we decided to stop by to see you first," Twilight explained, "Partially because Pinkie wanted to see you and partially because he's hungry."

My stomach chose that moment to growl, supporting Twilight's statement.

"Well ah'm a bit busy right now Twi, but if ya'll c'n help ah wouldn' mind gettin' ya some food," Applejack told us.

I nodded immediately. "I'll help."

"Sure, Applejack. You know we don't mind helping." Twilight agreed.

"Great! You already know what to do Twi, and," Applejack looked around, "Pinkie'll show up sooner or later. You follow me." With that she started trotting away and I followed after.

We passed by several trees. All of them full of ripe apples and all of the looking extremely delicious. My stomach let out a quiet, insistent growl, begging me to eat one. I I hadn't already been offered food for work, and if I didn't feel it was morally wrong, I might have listened my stomach. Instead I followed after Applejack until she stopped by a tree.

"Now pay attention. 'T ain't that hard ta learn. The hard part come from the actual buckin'," She told me. Then she turned her back to the tree, leaned on her front hooves with her backs up, and bucked the tree. I watched as the whole tree shook and then the apples fall into baskets or buckets placed beneath the tree.

"Wow," I said, impressed.

Applejack smiled and trotted over to the next tree. "You try this one."

I nodded and headed over. I moved right up to the tree and turned around, but when I looked over my shoulder I saw I was too close. I took a step foreword and looked again before nodding. I pushed onto my front hooves, but almost immediately started losing my balance. Luckily I flapped my wings and managed to keep myself from falling on my face as I land back on four hooves.

I heard a soft chuckle from Applejack. "Try again sugarcube," Applejack said, though as to why she called me sugarcube I'm not sure.

I nod again, setting my hooves determinately. I push back onto my front hooves, managing to keep my balance long enough for me to buck out, kicking the tree. It shook, though not near as much as it had when Applejack had bucked the tree, but enough to get a decent amount of the apples down. I grinned, feeling accomplished before looking to Applejack.

"Not bad for yer first time. Now all ya gotta do is get those tree," she said, pointing down a long row of trees with buckets next to them, "Once yer done head over to the barn. We'll have some food ready for ya."

"Thanks. I'll get it done as fast as I can," I assure her, smiling. She gave me a smile and a small nod before trotting off, leaving me to my work.

I let out a small sigh as I head to the next tree. I knew it'd be a long day, but I also knew that when I got the chance to eat that I wouldn't waste a single bit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I groaned as I made my way to the barn. I felt sore and tired and hungrier than ever. When the smell of hot, fresh food hit my nose I sniffed deeply. My mouth watered at the smell of the fragrant aroma. That was all the encouragement I needed to pick up the pace as I trotted quickly to the barn.

When I reached it I saw a large picnic like area set out with food all in the center. Everypony else was already there, plus a couple I didn't recognize. A dark red stallion with a light brown mane and tail who was large and very well built, a small filly with a pinkish red mane and tail and a tan coat, and an elderly looking mare with a light green coat and a white mane and tail.

As I trot closer, Applejack looks up and spots me. I smiled back as she smiled at me. "Well look here. Our new bucker's finally done an's come fer chow," she said, patting the spot next to her, "Have a seat sugarcube."

I smiled, trotting over and sitting next to her. The food smelled delicious and the family smiled at me. Twilight was there also, and Pinkie had decided to show up. Though I still didn't know who the three others were.

Applejack must have noticed my confusion or realized she hadn't introduced them yet. "This here's Big Mac. He's a big fella fer sure and hard worker," she said, patting the large red stallion on the back before pointing to the filly, "That there's Apple Bloom. Best little sister one could ask for, and that's Granny Smith." She pointed to the elderly mare who smiled at me.

I nodded to each in turn before my stomach growled again and I blushed, a bit embarrassed.

Applejack chuckled, smiling. "Well ah'll take as the sign ta start eatin'. Dig in, ya'll." And with that we all did.

I especially didn't waste time. I was so hungry I felt I could eat it all, and I sure tried.

Author's Note:

If you feel any of the descriptions are lacking or off, sorry. I tried to make sure I described colors properly and yes I know I didn't say eye color or their cutie mark, but that's because I don't believe that he would have payed enough attention with the food right there.