• Published 9th Jan 2014
  • 650 Views, 2 Comments

The Endless Carnival - ShaD-23



Every 100 years, the Endless Carnival comes to Canterlot and leaves just as mysteriously as it appeared. This year's special guest includes Princess Twilight Sparkle. Non-canon.

  • ...
 2
 650

Invitation

It hadn't been long since Princess Twilight Sparkle and everypony had stood up against the wicked Tirek, having saved Equestria from his clutches and driving him from the land. Everypony had set to rebuilding Equestria, dragons attacks less frequent but still reoccurring nonetheless.

“Careful, Derpy!” Rainbow Dash growled. “Not after what happened to the town hall!”

The blue unicorn, still not yet returned to her initial pegasus form, irritably oversaw the reconstruction of the train station, Derpy Hooves being her only help at the time.

“Sorry, Rainbow Dash.” she said in a chipper voice, giving a salute. “I'll be more careful!” Turning, Derpy tripped over an open sectioned door, Rainbow Dash rolling her eyes.

“Why do I even bother.” Rainbow Dash groaned, turning back to look at Ponyville. Twilight said that Princess Celestia had invited them to Canterlot for the weekend, but she didn't say why. It was odd. Maybe there was something wrong once again. Maybe Tirek had returned. It didn't bode well with Rainbow Dash. Still, she waited for Twilight and the others to show. Sure enough, after a moment more of waiting, she saw a small crowd on the rise. As they all came closer, however, she saw it wasn't just the other bearers of the Elements of Harmony, but several others as well. Granny Smith and the other Apples, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle were all with them.

“Why are they coming?” Rainbow Dash asked in bewilderment, everypony piling onto the platform.

“There's a carnival of some sort.” the alicorn princess explained. “My mother and father sent me a message from Canterlot. I guess that's why Princess Celestia wants us to come there.”

“Oh... well, alright, then!” Rainbow Dash said with a smile. “Maybe it's to celebrate us showing Tirek who's boss around these parts!”

“I wish I could have seen you fight Tirek, Rainbow Dash!” Scootaloo chirped, her tiny wings flapping in a frenzy.

Everypony chatted happily as they piled onto the train. Even Spike was coming with them, unlike before when he had to stay behind and watch the pets when Twilight and everypony went to the Crystal Empire.

“Canterlot always has the coolest carnivals.” the little dragon said, stretching out on a seat. “What's this one, Twilight?” he asked as he and the Cutie Mark Crusaders (including Babs Seed, who was still visiting from Manehatten) watched the passing scenery.

“My parent's letter said it was something called the 'Endless Carnival'.” Twilight explained, remembering their message. At this, Granny Smith's ears perked up. “Some of my books mentioned it, but I can't remember which ones-”

“M' paw said he met m' maw at the Endless Carnival.” Granny Smith suddenly interjected. Everypony turned to her as she smiled. “They said it was unlike anything they ever saw b'fore, nor since.”

“What was it, Granny?” Apple Bloom piped. “What's it like?”

“Dunno.” the elderly mare said. “They said it only happens once every hundred years.” Sighing, she closed her eyes. “I'm so happy I get to finally see what m' paw an' maw were all happy about.” With that, she fell fast asleep, snoring loudly as everypony either rolled their eyes or chuckled.

“I can't wait for this.” Twilight said to herself. “The Endless Carnival... once every one hundred years... it must really be something.” she mused.

=====

It was late why the train pulled into the Canterlot station. Twilight and everypony else was confused. If there was supposed to be a carnival, then nothing was set up for it. Stepping out of the boxcar, they saw Celestia, Luna, Shining Armor, and Cadence all waiting for them.

“Greetings, everypony.” Celestia said with a bow, everypony kneeling before her. “I'm certain you all have heard of the Endless Carnival by now, yes?”

“Yes, Princess.” Twilight answered. “We're very excited... but where is the carnival?” she said as she looked on at the town square.

“Rest assured, Princess Twilight Sparkle.” Luna said with a smile. “All will be clear in time.”

“We're both really excited.” Cadence said with a smile. “Princess Celestia sent for us at the Crystal Empire to attend the carnival.”

“We almost didn't come, but she insisted.” Shining Armor added as they turned to the palace. “She said this was a once in a lifetime event.”

“This will be awesome!” Rainbow Dash cheered.

“CARNIVAL!” Pinkie Pie shouted with glee.

“This must really be somethin'.” Applejack smiled.

“It would be nice to enjoy some festivities.” Rarity agreed, her pegasus wings folded neatly (having traded her horn with Rainbow Dash's wings after an accident).

“Thank you so much for bringing us, Twilight.” Fluttershy said quietly.

Granny Smith, Big Macintosh and the Crusaders followed close behind, the elder smiling down at the four fillies who hurried about and chatted happily. Twilight smiled. This was really going to be something.

=====

Nopony could sleep a wink that night (except for Granny Smith). They all talked the night away, wondering what this carnival was going to be like. Just then, however, Twilight noticed something odd. On top of the Canterlot clock tower, sat Discord, the reformed embodiment of chaos and disharmony. Careful to slip out undetected, Twilight flew gracefully through the black night for the clock tower where Discord sat, looking troubled.

“Hey... what are you doing here?” Twilight asked innocently. The draconequus only waved his eagle claw for her.

“It's not anything big.” he said. “So, there's supposed to be some big function tomorrow, is there not?” he said as he watched the quiet city. Twilight nodded. “I was sealed in stone not long before the first of this 'Endless Carnival'.” he explained. “Looks like I'll see what all the hustle and bustle is.” he said stretching. Twilight opened her mouth to speak but reconsidered as she saw him float off into the night. She couldn't put her hoof on it, but she was certain something weighed heavily on his mind... maybe it was best if she didn't bother asking. Sighing, Twilight watched the crescent moon. It was very pretty. She wondered just what carnival this could be, and why there still didn't seem to be anything prepared for it. Finally, she spread her wings and glided back to the castle. Everypony was fast asleep. She figured she should join them as she stepped off to her quarters, yawning.

=====

Twilight hadn't gotten much sleep when she and the rest of the her guests were awoken. A strange old stallion in a heavy black cloak with a long, platinum bread slowly strolled to each other their doors and knocked gingerly for them to wake up for the carnival, never speaking a word. Everypony, still half asleep, gathered in the main hall as the elderly pony bowed and left as silently as he came. A number of them were confused as to who he was.

“Good morning, everypony.” Celestia beamed, Luna, Shining Armor and Cadence descending another stairway for them. “I suppose you are wondering why you were summoned so early.” she said as she came to meet with them.

“The carnival is about to begin at dawn's first light.” Luna said, also beaming. Opening the door, the two alicorn princess nodded for everypony else to exit before them. All of them were so excited as they were led to the town square by the elderly cloaked stallion. Stepping around a building, however, they saw nothing was there.

“Uhh... what's going on?” Rainbow Dash asked suspiciously.

“Fret not, young Rainbow Dash.” the cloaked pony said in a hoarse, deep whisper. “At dawn's first light, you all will see.”

Soon, many many other ponies gathered in the square, all looking sleepy and confused as well, but still eager. Just then, Celestia and Luna both joined the giant crowd, everypony bowing at them.

“Everypony!” they said in union as the sun's rays began to peak over the horizon. “The Endless Carnival begins now!”

The moment they said this, the sun rose up over the city and gigantic colorful rides, attractions, vendors and tents magically appeared in the giant town square, everypony marveling at them. In mere seconds, however, they saw something else far more spectacular. Everypony in the square were now little fillies and colts (with the exception of Celestia, Luna and the cloaked stallion). Everypony gasped in surprise as they looked themselves over.

“Please, everypony.” the old stranger said with a bow. “May you enjoy the wonders of the Endless Carnival.” With that, giant fireworks lit up in the orange, dawn sky, everypony cheering and flooding the magnificent carnival, Celestia and Luna beaming as they watched everypony enter. However, they could not hear the quiet laugh of the elderly stallion over the loud babbles of the flood of young ponies.

“I eagerly await the chance to... properly... meet with you, Twilight Sparkle.” the weathered old pony said as the tiny alicorn princess raced with her friends through the crowds of other ponies.