• Published 4th Jan 2014
  • 689 Views, 4 Comments

Entombed by Vanity: A Tale of Vampirism in Equestria - Robotlegs



Rarity is beside herself over the inevitability of old age and loss of her beauty. She takes matters into her own hooves and through a chance encounter with a handsome stranger, her wish for beauty is granted. However, Equestria is now in danger.

  • ...
1
 4
 689

5th Movement

The mood the next morning in Ponyville was an uneasy one. News of what happened the night before spread throughout Equestria. Many ponies went about their day with worried looks on their faces. The loss of innocence was palpable. Even the birds were not chirping. There was a slight overcast, as many pegasi couldn’t concentrate on their cloud removal duties. Inside Twilight Sparkle’s house, the atmosphere was somber. Around a large table were the Royal Sisters, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Applejack and Twilight Sparkle. Spike was also present for the gathering.

“My sister and I have issued a decree across Equestria. Nopony is to be outside during nightfall for safety reasons. We hope all will comply. As an extra precaution, castle security has been heightened.” Said Princess Luna.

“How is Pinkie Pie?” Asked Princess Celestia.

“I received word from Nurse Readheart earlier this morning. She lost a large quantity of blood and required numerous blood transfusions last night. However, I’m happy to report Pinkie is recovering well. She is actually cheering up the other sick ponies in the hospital!” Said Twilight Sparkle.

“That’s good news! I’m glad she is doing better.” Said Princess Luna.

“Always willing to help others, that’s our Pinkie Pie!” Said Twilight Sparkle.

The mood in the room lightened before become serious again.

“Pinkie didn’t even know it was Rarity that attacked her until we told her today. She’s having a bit of a hard time accepting what happened.” Said Rainbow Dash.

“Sweetie Belle is stayin’ with us for the time being. We scooped her up last night after we took Pinkie to the hospital. She’s playin’ with Apple Bloom and Big Mac is watchin’ ‘em. It ain’t safe for anypony now. I don’t even know how to explain to her all the racket ‘round town is all ‘cause of her sister.” Said Applejack.

“Princess, what happened to Rarity?” Asked Fluttershy.

“Rarity has been turned into a vampire. She is dead in life and alive in death. Every night she will awaken, feeding off the blood of the living and at dawn, find sanctuary away from sunlight and sleep.” Said Princess Celestia.

“That explains what happened last night in my chicken coop.” Said Fluttershy before bursting into tears.

“There there sugar cube.” Said Applejack while petting Fluttershy on her head to comfort her.

“Vampire, I remember seeing that word in a book I’ve read.” Said Twilight Sparkle.

“I’m afraid Rarity has been turned into one by the original vampire, Prince Nocturnus.” Said Princess Celestia.

“Prince who now?” Said Rainbow Dash.

Princess Celestia projected images on the table as she spoke to better explain to all those present.

“Prince Nocturnus ruled over a valley kingdom eons ago. It was found within the largest mountain range in northern Equestria. His dominion was called the Land of Eternal Dusk. It was a land where the light of the sun would reach, but the sun itself was never seen. The Prince at one time was a fair and just ruler. We had good relations with him before he fell into darkness.”
“All of this happened before my banishment to the moon.” Said Princess Luna.

“And actually—” Added Princess Luna.

“Prince Nocturnus and I were to be married.”

Everyone in the room, save for the Royal Sisters, were dumbstruck.

“Married?” Said Fluttershy.

Princess Luna was visibly uncomfortable and put her head down. Princess Celestia continued.

“He set out to find the Book of the Icosagon, a haunted book of forbidden pony magic. To even gaze upon it can drive ponies mad. We don’t know his motivation as to why he wanted to find it. It could have been ambition, curiosity, pride, nopony knows. He scoured the ends of Equestria and uncovered it in the desert caverns of Saddle Arabia. Prince Nocturnus studied the book with intense focus, from cover to cover. His mind was poisoned with every word he read. The forbidden incantations corrupted him, and transformed him into a vampire. The evil contained in that tome manifested itself through him. The ponies he once protected were enslaved and became his source of sustenance.”

“Oh goodness!” Said Fluttershy.

“However that wasn’t enough for him. He had plans of total conquest. He planned to subjugate all of Equestria by first conquering the night. Simply put, he planned to destroy my sister. As a vampire, he felt it natural that he should rule the night. After all, why should he be subject to a pony princess? His strategy for me was a bit more elaborate. As a show of strength to all that darkness overcame the light, I was to be his slave for eternity. To keep me weakened, he planned to feed upon my blood nightly, barely alive as not to resist.”

“This guy sounds like a heap of trouble.” Said Applejack.

Princess Celestia continued as everypony listened intently.

“And after his conquest of Equestria, Prince Nocturnus was to usher in an everlasting age of endarkenment. He wanted to blemish both the Sun and Moon, making them his own. Taking a page from the Book of the Icosagon, he sought to cast the spell of The Dead Sun and The Blood Moon. It would be so, in the morning the Dead Sun would radiate black sunshine, making a mockery of the sun and allowing him to be active in the daytime. At night, the Blood Moon would rise high, to signify his perpetual thirst for blood. He would have me raise would raise both the Dead Sun and the Blood Moon as a form of humiliation. Being meticulous in his malevolence, he also had plans for his newly acquired subjects.”

Princess Celestia shuddered.

“Feeding only off my blood wouldn’t be satisfactory for him. Equestria would not only be his dominion, but also his sprawling banquet. To completely satiate his hunger and suppress any rebellion, every city, town and village in Equestria would be required to pay yearly tribute, in the form of ponies. Ponies from all across Equestria were to be imprisoned his special blood harems, to be fed upon him in indentured servitude. Any and all resistance would be utterly crushed.”

A single tear streaked down her face.

“He told my sister and I of his elaborate strategies during our decisive encounter with him. We did battle with Prince Nocturnus, stopping his reign of terror and liberating the Land of Eternal Dusk. We retrieved the evil book and hid it in an inaccessible part of Equestria. Only myself and Princess Luna know the location.”

Princess Luna picked her head up.

“As for Prince Nocturnus, instead of annihilating him, I felt that imprisoning him in the EverFree Forest was a better alternative. I believed that I could perhaps rehabilitate him through magic. Several attempts to bring him to his senses were in vain. Now that he turned Rarity into a vampire, we are forced to act against him. I now see that I was wrong. Love makes you foolish I guess.” Said Princess Luna.

Tears welled up in her teal eyes.

“Everypony knows how dangerous that EverFree Forest could be, but not to that degree.” Said Twilight Sparkle.

“Princess Luna and I felt it best not to have the citizenry know about the Prince and his imprisonment in the EverFree Forest. The last thing we wanted was inquisitive ponies deliberately looking for him.”

“Why did he change Rarity into a vampire? What does she have to do with anything?” Asked Rainbow Dash.

“Prince Nocturnus may have caught Rarity in a moment of weakness. He is quite cunning and manipulative. I believe he is using Rarity as a pawn. By having Rarity to destroy me, he will be loosed from the Everfree Forest, giving him another chance at enslaving Equestria. If she is successful, he may very well feel Rarity would be of no more use and eliminate her.” Said Princess Luna.

The gravity of the situation became apparent to everypony. A possible future with both Princess Luna and Rarity eradicated, while all of Equestria being enslaved and thrown into darkness weighed heavy on the minds of all present.

“I must also tell you all, a few nights ago I perceived Rarity dreamt about the Prince, before she was transformed. I presumed he and Rarity had met during a chance encounter while in the EverFree Forest. If not, how was she able to dream about him? As with all ponies’ dreams, I can never directly interfere, merely influence. As much as try to avoid conjuring nightmares, I tried to warn Rarity about him through a most frightening of nightmare. She obviously didn’t heed my warning.”

“Oh Rarity.” Sighed Fluttershy.

Princess Luna looked out the window.

“The sun is setting. The time has come for me to raise the moon.”

Princess Luna stepped out of Twilight’s house.

“When I’m finished I shall meet with you all.” Said Princess Luna.

“Yes Princess, of course.” Said Twilight Sparkle.

Princess Luna flew into the sky as Twilight Sparkle shut the door. The serious discussion continued.

“Now what in the hay was Rarity doin’ round there? We all promised each other to never go into the EverFree Forest alone.” Said Applejack as she slammed her hoof down on the table in frustration.

“As to why she was there alone is unimportant now. I don’t feel she is far-gone as the Prince. I truly believe that we can still save Rarity. We must save Rarity!” Said Princess Celestia.

Spike’s ears perked up.

We can still save Rarity? What a relief!

“My sister and I feel Rarity is most likely hiding the Everfree Forest with the Prince during the daytime. As vampires, sunlight is fatal to both of them. At nightfall we must make our way there as she awakens and draw her out. For the time being, Rarity is the greater threat, as she is able to travel freely across Equestria unlike the Prince. When we find Rarity, Prince Nocturnus may not be far behind. Caution must be taken though. He has the physical strength of a dozen or so ponies, and his magic can rival our own.” Said Princess Celestia.

“Then we must make preparations for our journey. Spike, take a note.” Said Twilight Sparkle.

“Spike?”

“Spike!”
The front door of Twilight Sparkle’s house was wide open and Spike was nowhere to be found.

“Dagnabbit! Now we got a lovesick dragon playin’ hero!” Said Applejack.

“Spike all alone in the Everfree Forest! Oh my!” Said Fluttershy.

“That silly dragon! We must leave at once. Who knows what Rarity will do to him!” Said Twilight Sparkle.

“C’mon we have to find him!” Said Rainbow Dash.

Everypony scrambled for provisions and set out for the EverFree Forest.