• Published 4th Jan 2014
  • 689 Views, 4 Comments

Entombed by Vanity: A Tale of Vampirism in Equestria - Robotlegs



Rarity is beside herself over the inevitability of old age and loss of her beauty. She takes matters into her own hooves and through a chance encounter with a handsome stranger, her wish for beauty is granted. However, Equestria is now in danger.

  • ...
1
 4
 689

4th Movement

Rarity finally awoke from her daytime stupor. She couldn’t remember the last time she felt so refreshed. Truth be known, her dreamless slumber resembled death more than sleep. She peeled the curtains back from her canopy bed and walked over to the window curtains. Remembering how painful the sunlight was, she was hesitant to open them. She peered carefully through to find it was nighttime. Relieved, Rarity pulled back the curtains and opened the window to let the cool breeze in.

What a lovely night!

Her skin tingled as the wind blew through her mane. While admiring the night, she heard a deep yowl in the corner of room. It was Opal. She hadn't eaten since Rarity went missing. Opal also looked a bit scared. She began to hiss at Rarity.

"Opal what has gotten into you?"

Rarity walked over to Opal and stooped down to pick her up. Opal tried to wriggle her way out of Rarity’s hooves.

“Opal, behave yourself!”

Opal hissed even louder and swiped at Rarity's face. She stumbled back as Opal leapt out of the window, landing on a branch of a nearby tree. Rarity got back up and rushed to the window in time to see Opal scurry away in the distance.

“Opal!”

Rarity was in shock. Opal was a fussy cat but Rarity never believed she would act so oddly and run away. Saddened, she knew in her heart Opal wouldn’t return. Rarity’s attention turned to the stinging sensation from the scratch.

My face! What happened to my face!

Rarity anxiously ran into the washroom to tend to her wounds. She looked in the mirror to see Opal had left three deep marks on the side of her face. Blood freely dripped into the sink. She touched the cuts and studied the rich red blood that was now on her hoof. Normally, Rarity was very squeamish at the sight of blood, and tried her best to avoid pricking herself while sewing. However now she was fascinated, literally transfixed by the deep red streaks. She licked the blood off her hoof.

It’s surprisingly delicious!

Tasting her blood invoked the slow-drawn smile and closed-eye feeling she would have when eating delectable desserts. She also felt more energized and alert. Rarity was taken aback at the fact her was enjoying the taste of blood—her own blood no less—and she wanted more. She quickly wiped again at the wound for another taste, but there was no more blood. She looked back at the mirror to see the wound had completely healed.

Miraculous! As if nothing had ever happened.

Rarity smiled and once more she saw the fangs she had.

I see now. It all makes sense.

A strange new hunger had been awoken in her—a hunger for blood—which had to be obeyed. Her fangs were a means. She obviously couldn’t continue to drink her own blood; that would be unfeasible. Rarity now had to think of a more suitable source somewhere in Ponyville.

That’s it! I’ve got it!

While still in her washroom, her gaze found its way to the unfinished gown she was previously working on. It was originally for a client in Canterlot. However from the onset of sewing the gown, she thought it too beautiful to be given to somepony else. Truthfully didn’t want to part with it.

Well this is a momentous occasion. Might as well dress the part! Besides, it will look much better on me.

Her eyes widened as she got to work. All her attention was focused on finishing her dress. As Rarity was sewing, she was hearing an incessant tapping sound. Needless to say it was getting on her nerves.

What is that noise? Such a distraction!

Within a moment’s time, she finished all the loose ends. Rarity put on the dress and stood in front of the mirror. As before, she fell in love with her reflection.

The dress doesn’t me look beautiful; I make the dress beautiful! It’s time to go.

As Rarity prepared to leave, the tapping sound was still present.

Where is that sound coming from? It’s maddening!

It took some time to figure out where it was emanating, but it was coming from behind her bedchamber door. She was about to open the door until she heard Sweetie Belle call her name.

“Rarity? Rarity are you in there?”

It dawned on Rarity that the continuous tapping sound she was hearing was her sister’s heartbeat.

Sweetie Belle! She must have heard the commotion and came up while I was in the washroom. She was standing there the whole time? Most likely with her ear pressed to the door, the nosy filly!

Her new craving was getting stronger. Rarity was in no mood to handle her sisters’ inquisitiveness. Besides, how could Rarity explain how she went missing or her new appearance to Sweetie Belle?

I’ll deal with her another time. What she doesn’t know won’t hurt her.

She needed another way to leave her bedchamber quickly and undetected. Rarity looked at the open window.

If I am able to fly, then perhaps other abilities are possible.

Without a second thought, Rarity stepped off the ledge and jumped. She landed on the ground silently, with the softness of a butterfly landing on a petal. It was now time to feed. She knew the perfect place and it would be easy spoils. Like a flash, she was off to Fluttershy’s cottage.

Rarity arrived to Fluttershy’s cottage within moments of setting off. She carefully opened the gate and let herself in. Rarity saw there were no lights coming from inside the cottage. Fluttershy and her animal companions were sound asleep. Rarity was functioning on instinct alone, as her newly acquired hunger demanded satisfaction. She silently walked towards the chicken coop. Her breath quickened with excitement as she stepped inside. Gratification would be imminent.

I starve!

She grabbed the nearest chicken and bit viciously. Rarity feasted on the blood of one chicken after the next, drinking and licking up what was bled. Her frenzy for blood grew with every chicken she fed off. The cacophony of squawking and Rarity’s growls reached the ears of Fluttershy.

“What’s all the fuss in the chicken coop?” Said Fluttershy, wiping away the sleep from her eyes.

Fluttershy got out of her bed and lit a lantern to investigate. She was not expecting the sound of hoofbeats as she approached the coop.

“Who’s in there?” Said Fluttershy with a quivering voice.

Fluttershy shone a lantern inside the coop. The light fell upon Rarity’s blood-covered mouth.

“Rarity?”

Rarity’s fangs glistened brightly and her eyes were a piercing red that shook Fluttershy.

“Don’t look at me!” Said Rarity, covering her face from the light.

The shock was too much for Fluttershy to bear and fainted. Rarity heard the impact of Fluttershy hitting the ground and removed her hoof away from her face. She dropped the last chicken she was feeding on and inquisitively walked over to an unconscious Fluttershy. Rarity stood over her to see how she was.

I didn’t want her to see that, the poor dear. She wouldn’t hurt a fly.

Rarity heard Fluttershy’s breath clearly over the chirping crickets; it was quick and thin. But what really caught Rarity’s attention were the veins in Fluttershy’s neck. Rarity could see them all pulsing mesmerizingly through Fluttershy’s skin with every heartbeat. The blood coursing through them beckoned Rarity. Entranced, Rarity remained over Fluttershy, long enough to let fresh blood drip down her chin onto Fluttershy’s face and neck.

Wouldn’t hurt a fly—

Rarity drew closer to Fluttershy’s neck with her mouth open wide when she heard the cottage door swing open. Rarity quickly retreated into the darkness. It was Angel, Fluttershy’s pet. He saw Fluttershy on the ground and did his best to rouse her. Fluttershy sat up stunned.

“Angel, something bad happened!”

Fluttershy saw she was no longer in danger and straightened herself. She brushed her hoof over her face, wiping off the specks of blood left by Rarity. She saw the blood and panicked.

“Oh no, the chickens!”

Fluttershy shrieked as she looked around the coop only to find a combination of blood, feathers and dismembered chickens. The sight absolutely sickened her.

“My poor chickens! What did she do to them! I need tell the others right away! Angel, stay inside and lock the door.”

With trembling, Fluttershy at once galloped towards Twilight Sparkle’s house to tell her what had transpired.

Meanwhile, Rarity put as much distance as she could between her and Fluttershy’s cottage. She initially tried to be discrete but the craving for blood overtook her senses. With Fluttershy catching her in the act, Rarity’s secret was no longer a secret anymore.

I should have been quieter, but really, what can Fluttershy do?

Her hunger for the moment was subdued, but not quite tamed. She still wanted more. Rarity recalled the moment standing over Fluttershy, while studying her tempting veins. Rarity ceased galloping and took a moment to plan her next efforts. The taste of blood was still fresh in her mouth.

Perhaps I need to raise the standards. Now, if feasting on the blood of chickens feels this good, just imagine how exquisite drinking pony blood would be! It’s simple logic! After all, I’m not uncouth! Chickens? What was I thinking?

She wanted to set the perfect trap. Rarity wanted to avoid attempting to break into somepony’s house, for fear the noise will awaken them. Who would be her first unsuspecting victim? At that hour, all of Ponyville would be asleep, except for one pony Rarity knew would still be awake.

Ah, yes! Of course!

At SugarCube Corner Pinkie Pie was still up, busy baking goodies for the morning. Rarity was able to see she was preoccupied in the kitchen. She floated in through an open window in an adjacent room. Quietly, she blew out a lantern on a table. Out of the corner of Pinkies’ eye, she noticed it had gotten subtly darker. Meanwhile Rarity hid in the shadows, her eyes intensely glowing in the blackness.

What the hay! I could have sworn I had a lantern lit in there!

Pinkie Pie stopped what she was doing and went into the newly darkened room.

Oh! A breeze must have blown it out!

Pinkie Pie walked over to relight the lantern and struck a match. The match ignited, but was blown out by a sharp breath coming from behind her.

“Huh?”

Before Pinkie Pie could turn around to see what blew out the match, Rarity pounced on Pinkie Pie, biting the nape of her neck. Both ponies fell down with a great crash. Rarity held on tight, drinking from Pinkie’s neck.

I was right! It is sweet! And I used to admonish her for her eating too many cupcakes!

Rarity aggressively pinned Pinkie Pie to the floor and tightened her bite as she drank. Rarity didn’t realize how physically strong she had become.

More! More! I must have every single drop!

Just at the instant before Pinkie Pie could no longer fight back, Pinkie’s pony companions rushed in the room.

“No, This can't be! Rarity!” Said Twilight Sparkle.

"Get away from her!" Said Rainbow Dash.

Rainbow Dash swooped in on Rarity. She swiftly moved out of the way, letting go of Pinkie Pie with a loud thud. Twilight Sparkle shot several energy beams from her horn but Rarity dodged the attack with ease. From Rarity’s perspective, everything was happening in slow motion. As Rarity flew out of the window, an evil laugh could be heard echoing.

“Pinkie! No! Speak to us!” Exclaimed Twilight Sparkle as she cradled Pinkie in her blood-covered hooves.

“We gotta do somethin’. Get help!” Exclaimed Applejack.

The room was in disarray and the floor was drenched in Pinkie Pie’s blood. The others were at a loss for words. Pinkie Pie was attacked and left for dead by Rarity, a pony she once called a close friend.

Meanwhile, Rarity had never felt such exhilaration before. Her emotional state could best be described as ecstatic. Every inch of her being was tingling and her thoughts were racing.

What an absolute thrill! I now know what I have fully become.

She had become as Prince Nocturnus. It was not merely blood she hungered for. The blood of ponies is what truly satisfied her appetite. Everything that Rarity once loved and cared for became irrelevant. Her bloodlust and its satisfaction mattered. The fact she drank her friends’ blood didn’t tug at her conscience. Quite frankly, she didn’t care and in a strange way she found it liberating. Rarity found solace knowing she was no longer part of polite society. She felt above it all. As she flew, Rarity looked down upon Ponyville in distain.

I have nothing in common with anypony else anymore. The weaklings! Adieu to all that!

Rarity reached the outskirts of Ponyville and landed in a field. She looked up at the full moon. The moon never looked so beautiful to her. It never looked as big and bright as it did then. She could see every crater and mark on the surface. The moon was scarred, yet stunning.

Beautiful, isn’t it?

Prince?

Who else but me dear? It seems you have been busy. I knew you would take a liking to your newly acquired powers. However, your indiscretions are quickly spreading through Ponyville.

I feel invincible, and yet this hunger is so strong Prince. It’s insatiable! It’s all consuming!

Equestria is defenseless to stop you and your quest for blood. You rule the night, or more succinctly, you could rule the night. What is standing in your way? All you need to do is overthrow one, pony princess. The moon and the stars can be all yours.

I—more powerful than Princess Luna?

Rarity’s bloody mouth curled into a smile.

You’ve seen what you are capable of. It only makes sense that the most powerful should be in power. Princess Luna is weak and ineffective. When the moon rises at night, your name could be whispered in hushed tones.

But, what of Princess Celestia? I doubt she would take the matter of somepony deposing her sister lying down.

Oh, don’t worry about her. Leave her to me, I insist.

Rarity began to chuckle.

Princess Rarity. It has a nice ring to it.

Death is no longer an issue. Your old life of a mere commoner is gone. Your new life as ruler awaits.

Royal pony blood must taste like a priceless vintage wine!

You have nothing to lose. I have faith in you. Let the dethronement begin.

Enthusiastic about the plan, she instantly set off for Canterlot. A trip that would take hours by train only took a fraction of the time by flight. She marveled at the natural beauty of Equestria, from the lush green meadows and forests to the rolling hills and regal mountains. The refreshing wind in her mane felt wonderful.

What a majestic site! This can be all mine to rule over! All mine!

She arrived in Canterlot and the castle was in full view. News of what happened in Ponyville had not yet reached Canterlot, for all the ponies in the city were asleep. For now, Rarity was able to walk the streets. She remembered the castle layout well from her previous visits. To reach Princess Luna, she needed to be stealthy to avoid detection from the Royal Guards.

Mist. Formless.

Recognizing her full magical potential, she conjured herself as mist. Her body felt shapeless as it swayed in the breeze. Traveling freely through the castle, she easily past the guards’ ponies ending in front of Princess Luna’s apartment. She slipped through the small opening between the floor and the doors. Rarity reanimated herself and saw the back of Princess Luna. She was busy working at her desk at the far end of the large marble room. A large roaring fire filled the room with light and warmth. Rarity gently tip-hoofed towards her. Princess Luna coughed, enough to startle Rarity into backtracking carelessly. When Rarity composed herself, she found herself with all four hooves firmly on the wall, looking down at the floor. Yet another ability she discovered which would aid her in her assassination scheme.

This gives me an idea.

While still on the wall, she walked and made it across the vaulted ceiling. Princess Luna was oblivious to Rarity standing upside down above her on the ceiling, ready to strike. Rarity jumped off the ceiling and landed on Princess Luna’s back. Before Rarity could inflict her bite, Princess Luna bucked her off. Rarity fell several feet away onto the unforgiving marble floor. She immediately got back up. Princess Luna regained her composure and was shocked to see it was Rarity, with ominous red eyes and glinting fangs. Both ponies were circling each other.

“What is the meaning of this? How did you get past the guards?” Said Princess Luna.

“I’ve come for your crown. Abdicate to me and I may let you live.”

“What has happened to you?”

Rarity fired an energy beam at Princess Luna. It struck her and she winced in pain. Rarity fired several other energy beams that found their mark and Princess Luna fell back over her desk. Princess Luna’s crown fell off and hit the floor with a loud clang. Rarity chuckled to herself as calmly paced back and forth.

“I’ve had an epiphany your highness.” Said Rarity in slow, measured speech.

“How can you call yourself the Princess of the Night, when you haven’t fully embraced the darkness as I have? Why should I bow my head to somepony who addresses themself the Princess of the Night, but can easily be overpowered?”

Rarity stopped and pivoted quickly towards Princess Luna.

“You’re pathetic and feeble, as I’ve just demonstrated. You no longer deserve to rule. The night will soon belong to me now.”
Rarity slowly scanned the room.

“This is a beautiful castle, but some of the interior designs are, lacking. No matter, I will change them in due time.”
The clear night suddenly made way into a furious storm.

“Fool! You know nothing of wickedness. The moon and the stars, they are my dominion. If you wish for my crown and the night, come and take them.”

Princess Luna got back up, but now transfigured as Nightmare Moon. Rarity growled and Nightmare Moon snarled back. Both ponies took flight and charged at each other. The raging tempest outside was an indication of the battle inside. Their conflict was a physical war of attrition. Nightmare Moon and Rarity traded heavy blows in their mutual blind rage.

“Mutinous subject! You will bow to me!”

“Never! Your crown will be mine!”

Flecks of blood marred the room. Rarity attempted several times to bite Nightmare Moon but she parried. Nightmare Moon seemed to have the upper hand in the scramble until Rarity landed a blow that knocked her down. The impact cracked the marble floor. Nightmare Moon was in a daze as Rarity landed on top of her and held her down.

“Goodbye, your highness.”

Rarity was poised to bite until a powerful energy beam struck her from the side. The force was so great it sent her through a stained glass window and beyond. Nightmare Moon turned her head to see what was the source of the beam. It was Princess Celestia. She rushed to her sister’s side. Nightmare Moon transformed back into Princess Luna and the maelstrom outside ceased. Princess Celestia helped her sister up.

“I have just received word from Twilight Sparkle. All of Equestria is in trouble. We must hurry to Ponyville to give council.” Said Princess Celestia.

“We have seen a great evil from the past awoken.” Said Princess Luna still flustered from the confrontation.

Without a further word, both Princesses left the castle at once for Ponyville.

Meanwhile, Rarity was still airborne and reeling from the blow.

It burns! I was so close, so close.

Rarity righted herself and headed for the Everfree Forest. Morning was fast approaching and she had to take shelter. Rarity landed and frantically searched for a place to shield herself from the sun’s rays.

“Over here Rarity. Follow me, hurry.” Said Prince Nocturnus.

Rarity was relieved seeing him. Both galloped as Prince Nocturnus lead.

“Something tells me you were not entirely successful in your endeavor.”

“I could hear her heart beating. It was pounding. She feared me and I must try again. I know I can do it.”

“I know she fears you. Patience obtains all things. If at first you don’t succeed my dear Rarity—”

Prince Nocturnus led Rarity to the mouth of a cave at the moment dawn was breaking.

“Inside, make haste!” Said Prince Nocturnus.

Inside was pitch black, but Rarity could see everything as clear as day. Deeper and lower they went into the cave. The descent was steep, but Rarity easily found her footing. Eerie rock formations gave the cave a foreboding appearance. Roosting bats screeched as both ponies ran past. They crossed a rock bridge spanning a rushing river and arrived in a sparsely lit cavern.

“Where are we Prince?”

“Welcome to my abode Rarity. Please, make yourself at home.”

Artwork such as paintings and statues from an ancient era were around the cavern. At the far end, a carved wooden throne was on an elevation. Depicted on the backrest was the same coat of arms that was Prince Nocturnus’ cutie mark. Surrounding the coat of arms was a bizarre geometric shape, crudely carved in. Mounds of gold and silver coins with unique etchings were at another end. There was also pile after pile of dusty voluminous books, likely filled with esoteric knowledge. In the center was a gorgeous bronze coffin. Emblazoned on the cover of the coffin was the same coat of arms. It too had the strange design carved around the coat of arms just as his throne had.

“I just so happened to have an extra coffin my dear.”

Prince Nocturnus disappeared from view and arrived back levitating another coffin. He set it down next to his and opened the lid.
“I know you must think it strange what with all you see here.” Said Prince Nocturnus, waving his hoof in presentation of the cavern and his possessions.

“For the time being, I am a ruler in exile from my own lands.”

His statement piqued her curiosity.

“And who exiled you, Prince?”

“The Royal sisters.” Said Prince Nocturnus candidly.

In anger, her eye color changed from blue to red.

“The Royal Sisters—those fiends.” Said Rarity under her breath.

If there was still any question as to where Rarity’s loyalties lay, all doubt was now removed. A look of smugness washed upon Prince Nocturnus’ face.

“Worry not. All wrongs will be righted soon enough.”

Prince Nocturnus’ gaze fell upon the coffin he had just brought out.

“Rarity, if you please.” Said Prince Nocturnus.

Rarity at looked at the coffin with a perplexed look.

“Well, I know it looks a bit confining, but I assure you it is quite comfortable; more so than any bed you’ve slept in.”

Rarity walked towards the coffin and settled herself inside. She actually did find it quite cozy.

“Sleep well Rarity. Tomorrow is another night and another chance of conquest.”

As Prince Nocturnus began to close the coffin, Rarity put her hoof up to stop him.

“Prince, for everything that you have done for me, I am greatly indebted to you. Tonight was nothing short of extraordinary. Please know your struggle is now my struggle.”

Prince Nocturnus could only smile at Rarity.

“You still have much to learn, and I have much to teach. Until tomorrow.” Said the Prince as he shut the lid.

Rarity found solace in the immaculate darkness the coffin provided. She audibly exhaled and shut her eyes.