• Published 4th Jan 2014
  • 1,187 Views, 24 Comments

Pop! - Multi Personas



You've lived a peaceful two years in Equestria, but that all soon changes when the last thing you expected happens. You get reunited with an old girlfriend.

  • ...
8
 24
 1,187

Chapter 2: Poor Vinyl

Chapter 2

You and Derpy walked through Ponyville, straight through the market district, to get to the park. There were tons of ponies out that day and Derpy knew them all being one of the local mailmares. You however, didn't. Some, yes, but not all. Nevertheless, they each gave you a wave, smile, and a friendly “Good afternoon” and you returned each and every one of them. Even the occasional elderly ponies gave you both a wink when they saw your hands intertwined. You had heard some talk going around about how much the towns people like that Derpy finally has someone good to take care of her. That made you feel proud, in the way that you are good for Derpy. Then again, if you weren't good to Derpy, Crunch, her over-muscled father, would ground you to dust.

Speaking of Derpy's beast of a father, you saw him and his wife, Paint, walking out of Sugarcube Corner.

“Mom! Dad!” Derpy calls out to them. Out of instinct you tried to drop Derpy's hand, but she held onto yours. You've been around Derpy's family long enough that Crunch no longer glares at you, but you still feel a tab bit uneasy.

The two of them looked around at the sound of Derpy's voice, and Paint got a big smile at the sight of the two of you. Crunch's face remained a blankness that was eternal. Nonetheless, they walked towards the two of you. You steeled yourself for the heavy glances of Crunch.

“Hey you two,” Paint said in a cheerful voice and a big smile. Crunch said nothing.

“Hey mom,” Derpy said with her own big smile.

“Hi Paint, Crunch,” you said, nodding to them both. Paint giggled at the awkwardness of it all.

“Well, what are you two doing? Weren’t you two painting today?” Paint asked.

“We got finished, now we're letting the paint dry and the apartment air out,” you say. “We were going to go to the park for a little bit.”

“Oh well it's defiantly a good day to do that,” Paint said. Then after a realization she gasped and turned to Crunch with enthusiasm, making him raise his eyebrows in alarm. “It's been forever since the last time we took a walk in the park, lets go!” It looked like Crunch was thinking it through before giving a grunt of confirmation. “Yay!” Paint squeed. “Lets go!” she said, running off towards the park, leaving the rest of us in the dust.

“Er, mom! Wait for us!” Derpy said, running after her mother. You and Crunch cast a glance at each other and in unison you both rolled your eyes and shrugged before taking off after them.
~<('.'<) (>'.')> <('.'^) (^'.')>~

“Isn't this fun?” Paint said, looking at the scenery as we walked past. She and Crunch were holding hands and walking next to you and Derpy. There were plenty of ponies out and about in the park. It would be a shame if ponies wasted their time indoors.

“Yup!” Derpy proclaimed, she went from just holding your hand to hanging off your arm. This made Crunch give even more cautious glances your way. You swore that both Paint and Derpy were in on some scheme to make Crunch cautious of you.

“It's really nice, you don't get any days like this from where I'm from,” you say. Of course the place where you are from is the human world. You often times compare Equestria with Earth.

Crunch offered a grunt.

“Say mom,” Derpy asked, “where's Dinky? I haven't seen her all day and she usually comes by at least once a day to say hi.”

“Oh she's off with the crusaders today,” Paint said, still admiring the trees.

“Uh oh,” you muttered. If she were with the crusaders then it would be only so long until they got in trouble. At least the crusaders by themselves always got in trouble. Who knows, maybe Dinky will be able to keep them out of trouble.

“Oh they're not that bad,” Derpy said but even she had some uncertainty in her voice. You went back to surveying the scenery. It really was beautiful, the leaves on the trees were a rich green, the ponies around were very friendly, and it was just plain nice out. All that changed when you heard your cell phone go off. You quickly dig into your pocket and fish around for your cell phone. The name 'Vinyl' pops up on the caller ID.

“Hello?” you ask, thumbing the answer button.

“Yo what's up?” Vinyl asked.

“Just enjoying this day at the park,” you say, still walking. Everybody grew quiet.

“Well, I hate to ask of this but I’m in a jam.”

“What type of jam?”

“Blueberry.”

“What did you do this time?”

“I may have accidentally dissed the whole classical music genre.”

“And you need me to clean up after you, right?”

“Yup!”

You let out a groan. “Do I have to?”

“If you want your music back you do.”

“Dammit Vinyl,” how dare she hold your music ransom. “I'll be there in a few I guess.” You press the end call button and shove your phone back in your pocket.

“What's wrong?” Derpy asked.

“Vinyl needs my help,” you say, pinching the bridge of your nose.

“Oh, well then you better go help her,” Paint said.

“Thanks, and sorry I couldn't stay longer with you guys,” you say.

“Oh don't worry about it, now run along,” Paint said, shooing you away.

“Alright, talk to you later,” you said and both you and Derpy left them. You two cut across the park field and Derpy went back to just holding your hand.

When the two of you went back to the roads of Ponyville you took a left in the direction of the housing districts. You didn't exactly rush to get there, in fact you took your sweet time. Eventually you came across the street that Vinyl lives on and find her half way down the road laying down in the grass.

Vinyl Scratch was a pure white mare with a wild electric blue mane and a horn spouting from her forehead. She was wearing a black tank top that you were sure was made for males (you're not sure whats with the females wearing males clothing), and light blue baggy shorts and gray and purple shoes. She had headphones on and her purple shades on. Upon closer inspection you could see that they were your headphones. You had let Vinyl borrow your music again when her computer got a bad virus and she had to wipe everything.

You walked up to Vinyl and she didn't acknowledged your presence so you nudged her in the side. She let out a loud giggle and squirmed away from your foot.

“Hey!” she yelled and jumped up but her anger faded when she saw that it was only you. “Oh, hey,” she said, sheepishly rubbing the back of her head. She pulled your headphones to her neck and you could hear what sounded like Avenge Sevenfold.

“Hey, so is she in the house?” you ask.

“Yup.”

“Let's get this over with,” you say with a heavy sigh. You let go of Derpy's hand and you walk up the stairs of the porch while she stays with Vinyl. You walked up to the door and knocked on it a few times.

“Go away, Vinyl,” a voice said from behind it.

“It's not Vinyl,” you call through the door. It's silent for a few seconds then you could hear the unlocking of bolts on the door. The door sprung open and a grey arm shot out and grabbed you but the scruff of your shirt and pulls you in. “Whoa!”

“Did Vinyl send you in?” a grey mare with a black mane in a light blue bath robe asked viciously.

“Yes,” you answer honestly. You don't like making Octavia angry. Octavia was scary when she got mad.

“Ugh,” Octavia grunted, facepalming. She walked away in a huff to the kitchen where she sat down at the table. On the table was an empty wine glass with a little bit of remaining wine in it. Not even enough for a drop. Octavia let her head hit the table with a solid thunk! A few seconds pass. “Owww.”

Being the good friend you are, you walk up to the table and take a seat.

“What's wrong?” you ask. Octavia's head shoots up.

“What's the matter with classical music?” she suddenly asks you.

“Huh?” you ask dumbly.

“Classical music. What's wrong with it?” she asked again, staring at you intently.

“Uh, nothing,” you say. It was true, you found nothing wrong with a little classical music.

“Huh,” Octavia said, staring off into space. “I guess Vinyl's just being an ass then.”

“When is she not?” you ask. It was in a purely joking manner as you and Octavia, even Vinyl, joke about it.

“True,” Octavia said, picking up the wine glass and bringing it to her lips, but when she took a drink nothing made it's way to her mouth and she was sorely disappointed. “Damn, I need more wine.”

“No, what you need to do is not be mad at Vinyl.”

“Oh I’m not,” Octavia said, standing up and getting a bottle of wine from the fridge. “Would you like a glass?” she asked, turning around to face you.

“No I’m fine, but if you're still mad at Vinyl, then why does she still think you're mad?”

“Simple,” Octavia said, taking a sip of wine. “I would rather not deal with her tonight. So she will be sleeping someplace else tonight.”

“And that place is my place, right?” you asked in a deadpanned tone.

“It could be, I personally don't care. She just needs to learn a lesson,” Octavia said, walking out of the kitchen. You follow close on her heels. She points to a duffel bag on a chair in the living room. “There is a change of cloths, her toothbrush and some things to keep her entertained,” she turned away and started to walk up the stairs. “Have fun!”

You groan and roll your eyes. This wasn't the first time this has happened either. With another groan you pick up the bag and exit out the door. Vinyl and Derpy were laying in the grass and when Vinyl heard the door close she sprang up and rushed to you.

“So? How did it go?” she asked.

“You're staying with us tonight,” you say as you toss her duffel bag to her in which she catches.

“Oh, well dammit,” she cursed under her breath.

“It's only for tonight. You go back tomorrow,” you say as you start to walk down the road. Before you got too far you felt your pants vibrate and you fish out your phone. 'Octavia' pops up on the caller ID and the text read 'Oh! And do please remind her to brush her teeth. Thanks!' You look up at the window on the second floor just in time to see Octavia smile and turn around. You roll your eyes and groan again. But when you feel a familiar weight on your arm you feel better.

“Oh cheer up, we can get ice cream, ok?” Derpy said, kissing your cheek to make you feel even better. It worked, but didn't put a smile on your face like it would normally do.

“Yeah ok,” you said letting out a sigh.

“Did someone say ice cream?” Vinyl asked with a hopeful smile.

“I'm not paying for yours Vinyl,” you said, Vinyl's face went from a smile to a pout. “I'm sure Octavia put some pits in one of those pockets.”

You heard a zip and rummaging around in the bag until you heard “Fuck yeah! Ice cream money!” from Vinyl. You let out a short chuckle and continued on your way. It wasn't far to the ice cream stand, it was actually just a few buildings down from Vinyl's electronics store. You got plain vanilla while both Derpy and Vinyl got hay. You never got the appeal of hay flavored foods except for hayfries. With enough ketchup that is.

Author's Note:

Sorry for the delay, I had some computer troubles then my flash drive broke, erasing all the data I had on it so I had to rewrite this chapter. This has yet to be edited, i just thought that you people needed a chapter so here it is.