• Published 11th Feb 2014
  • 3,186 Views, 50 Comments

The Samurai of the Elements - Sketch D Tail



I wake up in a field outside in a field, near a forest. I must find my way back home, but what's this about a fight that I'm destined to be part of?

  • ...
6
 50
 3,186

Chapter 1 - First fight

It has been three whole damn hours since I entered this bloody forest. Three hours since I entered the physical embodiment of danger itself. Every minute I've spent in here, I've kept my guard and senses up much higher than normal. I could feel the malicious intent of whatever was lurking in the shadows. This place is completely unnatural to me, so I have no idea what to expect of what to see.

"Well I bloody will now." I mutter to myself as I hear screaming coming from my right side. I run. I run as fast as I can to those who need my help, dodging and weaving every tree that got in my way.

It takes me only a couple of minutes to reach where I wanted. When I got there, I found three, multicoloured girls, younger than myself being surrounded by a bunch of wolves made of wood, probably around twenty. And the weirder part was that each girl had a muzzle, a tail and hooves for feet. One of them even had wings whereas the other had a horn and the last one had neither. The fuck?! I think to myself, completely confused by what I'm seeing. However, I quickly shake my thoughts away as I see the wolves of wood creeping closer and closer to the children.

"Don't just stand gawking you idiot! Save them!!" Yells a mature, male voice coming from everywhere around me, but no one else heard it, otherwise they'd be looking around like I am. Telepathy maybe? Screw it, whatever. That voice is right, I must save them and some of those wolf things are about ready to pounce.

Not on my watch.

"GET DOWN!!" I yell furiously. I can see the three girls are looking to find where my voice came from but at the same time a wolf leapt into the air to attack. I do the same, I jumped forward so very far from my original position it amazed me. Drawing my sword from the sheathe, the metal surface of the blade revealed in the little light that was revealed, making it shimmer beautifully. That wasn't the only light that shined however, I didn't notice it at all but from a viewer's perspective...the gold of my eyes were glowing.

I quickly swipe my katana towards the wild creature, the blade connecting with its wooden neck. Without hesitation and without resistance on the blade, my sword cleaves through the beast's neck like butter, leaving its head to roll on the floor lifeless with sap pouring out of the fatal injury. This is a very sharp blade.

Feeling a little pissed off at the moment, I walk back into the front of the children's vision, the wolves cautious of my movements. Placing my right foot forward a couple of steps, I crouch down slightly and put myself into a stance I am very familiar with through one of my favourite mangas. Rurouni Kenshin. Sliding my right hand across the flat of my blade all the way to the tip, I look to my opponents with fierceness in my eyes. "You will not hurt these kids. You can try all you want but you will die by my blade unless you retreat now. This is my only warning to you." I said.

I wasn't joking when I said that that'd be my only warning to them, however I forgot o realise that I was fighting against wolves. Wolves are known for their ferocity and large numbers, but most of all....their pride. Their pride would never allow them to back down from a fight for their prey. The constant snarling and barking at me meant just that.

The snarling soon grew to howling and the bodies of the wolves of wood began to glow a sickly green. My eyes widen as all of the bodies exploded into sticks, large and small, and then collide with one another. Soon enough the sticks formed limbs, and from the limbs created a body. The body of the largest wolf ever seen.

"Ohhhhhhh shhhhhhhit." I mutter quietly as the large wolf roars right in front of my face. The sheer force of the roar sent not not me, but the tree girls tumbling across the floor and into a tree and bushes. As luck would have it, I got the tree, back first too. Any adrenaline I had before had been depleted and replaced with pain and fear in ten seconds flat.

"Do not be afraid Alexander." Said the same voice from before, the calmness of it unnerved me. As he spoke, time began to slow down to a complete stop. Before I could even blink, I wasn't standing in the forest anymore but in an open sky with an invisible floor, no ceiling and clouds floating freely around me. I was a little scared since I'm afraid of heights but that doesn't concern me right now.

"Who are you? Show yourself." I asked, looking around for whoever has been talking to me.

"Over here." Says the voice from before, coming from behind me. Quickly twisting my body around, I see a middle-aged man wearing the same kind of clothing I am, except they were completely white. Well, I wouldn't say man exactly as he sported a tail, hooves, wings and a horn all together. His fur was deep brown in colour and his hair and tail were crimson red with orange highlights running through them, giving it the appearance of fire."Who I am isn't important at this moment. However, beating that Alpha Timberwolf is."

"So that thing's called a Timberwolf? Actually, here's a better question; how the bloody oath am I supposed to beat that thing?! I've never had sword before, neither have I ever been in a real fight before! And how do you know my name?!"

That is true, but I chose you for a reason. You have all the qualifications necessary to be the Samurai of legend who will protect this world. Besides, I know all the manga you have read, especially the ones where swords and katana were involved. You may not know it but all the sword techniques you have seen by reading have actually been engraved into your subconscious mind. Use that knowledge to beat the Alpha Timberwolf."

Grunting in frustration, I look away from the mysterious man to contemplate what he has said to me. After a minute or so I look back to him and say "Alright, I'm going to trust you on this mister, but I damn well expect at least a few questions of mine answered when next we meet. Deal?"

"Deal. Now go." he says lastly, waving a hand and just like that I'm back in the world of reality. The timberwolf still in front if me with killer intent in its eyes. I have to beat this thing?! As much as I hate it, I have no choice at this point.

If I'm going to best this guy I'll need not only a really strong attack, but an extremely fast one so that it can't fight back. Only one move like that can come to my mind at this point, but is it even possible for a swordsman newbie like me?

"You know the technique, you've read it many times. I can awaken the sleeping power within you to use it. Said the mysterious man once again, his calm tone bringing myself to calmness. I steady myself and my breathing, making sure I'm composed enough for this all or nothing attack. My eyes begin to glow even brighter and my katana slowly becomes encased in a soft, blue flame. "Now strike!"

"Beccata di Rondine*!" I yell. The attack is just as I remember seeing the character do it: my arm thrusts towards my target, comes back and repeats in the span of milliseconds. Each thrust forward gains the Alpha a new stab wound and with each stab, flames pour out, completely covering the wolf in blue fire.

I eventually stop my attack after a few moments due to my inexperience. My entire arm, all the way up to my left pectoral writhes in pain from overexertion. What the man said was true; he did give me the power to use Yamamoto's technique, however I was stupid to not remind myself of the backlash. Oh well, the timberwolf is beaten, but not only is it beaten, it's dead. I look over the charred and lifeless wooden body of the Alpha wolf and kneel down beside it. All I can feel is sorrow, I have taken the lives of many creatures today, and I am nowhere near proud of what I've done.

"I'm sorry, I truly am but I could not allow you to harm those children. The least I can do for you now is to pray for your safe journey into the next world." I said softly, placing my hand on the head of the wolf. I know I cannot be forgiven for my actions quickly, so I'll do my best to amend them as of now. I mutter a quick prayer asking for the lives of all the wolves to be safe for their next lives as well as forgiveness from God.

After finishing my prayer, I look behind me and see each of the girls standing there with incredulous looks on their faces. "Are you girls okay?" I ask as I stand back up.

The white coated girl comes forward and responds first. "Yeah, we're fine. Thanks a lot mister..."

"Alex. My name is Alex." I finish, giving a small smile. "What're you three doing here? I may not be from around here but even I can tell this forest is dangerous." I asked them.

"Well...we were tryin' to get our cutiemarks in potion brewing thanks to Scootaloo's idea. We were on our way to our friend Zecora's place to get her help with it but then them timberwolves attacked us and well...you know the rest." Said the yellow one with a bow in her hair. Her voice reminded me of a Texan accent, or somewhere from the west.

"That. Was so. Awesome!" Glees the orange, winged girl. I'm utterly confused by her logic of how that was awesome, my jaw is even hanging and my head is tilted to the side.

"Are you right in the head or something? How was that awesome?" I asked her with slight annoyance

"Because you were so cool when you took care of the giant timberwolf with your sword. You were all like 'Get down!', and then you were like 'Beccata di whatever-you-said'. You didn't even break a sweat against it. It must've been so-"

"I'm going to stop you right there young miss because you're forgetting the fact that I just killed them. I have committed one of the gravest sins of all: the sin of taking a life."

"Yeah but they're feral and ruthless creatures, why're you so upset?"

At this point, I was really getting annoyed at that ignorance of hers. I'm so pissed at her that I grab her by the collar of her shirt and drag her face to face with me. "Because they were alive, just like you and I. Even a timberwolf like that is just a body after death and the dead deserve respect. I will not allow you to talk badly about it as if I was some kind of hero." The stone cold stare I give the orange one, undoubtedly the one named Scootaloo, completely stops her in her tracks. I noticed that even her breathing had stopped under the influence of my gaze. It wasn't until I broke eye contact and let go of her that she began breathing once more. I let go of her shirt and start walking away from them. "I'm sorry, I'm just not very happy at this moment. Let's just get you kids home." I did not receive any arguments nor any words at all. Only silence.

But something was bugging me. Call it what you will; instict, intuition or just a gut feeling, but I could feel something hammering at my mind like an alarm bell of danger about to go off.

"Alex, behind you!" screamed my mystery man, and just as he said his words, I felt that dangerous feeling getting stronger and stronger coming from behind my back. Quick as lightning, I turn around to see....the floating head of the first timberwolf I struck down. My eyes just widen whereas the girls screamed their little lungs out. I see it coming towards me at a very fast pace, so I braced for impact by raising my left arm to defend myself, despite how much pain it was already in.

Just in time too. The timberwolf head opened its jaws widely and bit down with extreme force, completely penetrating my flesh and leaving deep bite marks. I quickly punch its side with my right hand and it disintegrates into the sticks that it was made from.

"Son of a bitch that hurts!" I grunted angrily. Well, to be fair that was the last thing I was expecting to happen. It's all because I let my guard down, I should've known better. After all: new world, new rules.

"Are you okay?!" Asked the yellow girl, scared for my health.

"Do I look okay to you?" I barked back, gripping my wound tightly. It won't stop the bleeding, but hopefully it'll slow it down.

"We have to get y'all to a hospital. Now!"

"True but why the hurry? It was just a bite." I said. It was just a bite wasn't it? Or did it....oh God, please tell me 'no'.

"Timberwolves have poisonous fangs. The moment they bite you, you have about two hours until...until you die." She explained with sadness and despair, hot tears streaming down her face.

"Heh, trying to take me down with you were you? Clever bastard." I muttered to myself, looking at the sticks that were once the timberwolf who bit me. "Well, let's get out of this forest. I have no intention of dying, so let's get you girls home first and then find a hospital."

-----

The four of us have been walking for nearly ten minutes by now and bloody hell I'm in pain. I think that poison has different stages of effects because first I couldn't breathe well, like I was having one of my past asthma attacks, and now every step I take makes my body feel like it's on fire. This pain is excruciating, and I can't take any more.

I fall to my knees with a loud 'thud', my arm still bleeding and the actual wound I believe, has become infectious, given the exposure to the air. My eyesight is becoming hazy, I'm guessing that can only be from the blood loss, even I can tell that I've lost much. Bue even with these eyes of mine I can see those little kids coming towards my body, bent on helping me up. It's painful, but I can feel each of my arms being slumped onto one of the girls, my left arm being shouldered by the pretty girl in the dress and the other by that tomboyish chick. It wasn't before long that my luke-warm blood began to trickle ever so delicately down the white girl's dress.

It wasn't for a couple of minutes until I could find the words to speak. "I'm sorry...because of my carelessness, your beautiful dress is sullied with my blood. Please forgive me." I apologised to the child on my left.

"No, don't talk. Save your strength mister, we're gonna get you to a hospital real soon." She said. True to her word, we exited the forest of death and I could just barely see a big, red cross a fair ways away.

"Apple Bloom!" Yelled an older, maturer female voice. I couldn't see who it was, my head had grown way too heavy for me to keep it up but she sounded exactly like the girl I've met, same southern accent.

"Sis! Help us please!" Cried the bow-wearing girl. So that was her name, Apple Bloom. Hmm, it sounds familiar but...where have I heard it before.

"What happened? Are you hurt?" Questioned the older one, anger and worry in her voice.

"No, I'm fine...but he-"

"AB, what happened to him?! He's bleeding!"

"We were trying to get our cutiemarks in potion brewing, so we went to Zecora's. But a pack of timberwolves ambushed us. We were about to be eaten by them when this feller showed up. He k-killed all the timberwolves with his sword before they could even touch us... But one of them survived an' bit him, he's been poisoned!" Cried Apple Bloom, the tears from before returning twofold. Slowly, I bring myself up to my feet and make my way to Apple Bloom's elder sister.

The other sibling, from what I heard, was lecturing the petite girl about responsiblity and how I'm injured because of their idea. Neither of them saw me coming nor heard me until I grabbed the stranger's shirt, not even remotely tight thanks to my situation. I haphazardly look at her with weak eyes and arms and say to her: "I don't know...who you are, but I...must not...I cannot die here." I said before finally losing consciousness, the darkness becoming welcoming to my eyes.

"Please miss Applejack, he's going to die if we don't get him help!"

"Alright, let's get 'im to the hospital. But y'all have some explaining to do afterwards." Said the older Apple sternly, eliciting quickened nods from the the three children. Ah just pray that we aren't too late. they all thought in synchronisation, and like that, with my body heaved over her shoulder, I was rushed to the hospital.

Author's Note:

* - Lit. Peck of the Swallow or Swallow's Beak

Hope you all like this new story. I'm going to try my best doing two stories at once but don't worry, I think I can handle it. Well that's all, see ya!