• Published 17th Oct 2011
  • 1,110 Views, 2 Comments

The Book Most Ancient and Holy: Volume 1 - Colt McCoy



I have set out to write a composition that is a sort of "mythology" of sorts for Equestria. Enjoy!

  • ...
 2
 1,110

4: Of the First Days

Of the First Days

First sprang forth Discord, and he was first to rule.

He fixed his gaze upon these new ponies and delighted in what he saw. He saw their intelligence, their will, and their powers, but most of all he saw vessels for what he loved most: disharmony.

The evil draconequus swooped down to the new land. He spread the whispers among the people, and laughed as they spread like wildfire from a single spark. His means were simple, and his plan terrible. Soon after the ponies had all arrived, they were quarreling. The Earth Ponies resented the Unicorns for their magical abilities. The Unicorns, in turn, grew jealous of the Pegasi for their graceful flight. The Pegasi soon blamed the Earth Ponies for the bad weather that their rage had caused Equestria to unleash. All this infighting was the work of Discord alone.

As the ponies quarreled on and on, the weather became worse and worse. Equestria could not bear to see her children strained so. Finally, a blizzard was unleashed upon the land. The pain and suffering were so much for the ponies that they were forced to move where they could, perpetually attempting to outrun the wrath of the storm. Yet everywhere they went, they bickered, and the storm increased.

Finally, the ponies ran into a mountainside. The blizzard advanced on them like a wall of cold fury, and they did their best to silently hunker their cold bodies down. Then, the miraculous happened. Some say it was a twist of fate; others suggest it was Celestia’s intervention. Whatever the case, the ponies began to discover, one by one, that the only way they could keep warm from the storm was by gathering in close and sharing the only thing they had: the warmth of each other. Just as soon as they gained this communal haven, the storm disappeared. The world warmed, and the ponies stayed together. The Unicorns built the famed city of Canterlot with their magic, and invited all ponies to join them there in a celebratory party. Every year, the Grand Galloping Gala celebrates their triumph over disharmony within themselves.

However, a foe still lingered above Equestria, not yet banished from their hearts.