• Published 31st Dec 2013
  • 1,827 Views, 37 Comments

Monster Hunting: No Way! - GhostlyDarkness



How would you feel if you suddenly woke to found yourself in world of monsters everywhere you turn. Well mishap teleports Twilight to this strage land. Will she be ale to find her way back home?

  • ...
6
 37
 1,827

A Fiery Duo

Author's Note:

Hey guys i needed to edit the chapter. I want to know if you guys prefer longer and more in depth chapters it would really help me out to make even better chapters in the future.

"So we're hunting two wyverns this time?" Twilight asked. "That seems a bit more of a stretch than our previous quests don't you think?" she said sounding somewhat discouraged.

The two embarked on an urgent quest by the guild to hunt down a Rathalos and Rathian. Rathalos which are usually red with a couple black markings and a very distinct intertwining pattern under their wings. Rathalos have something similar to beak on its mouth and closely resembles a dragon. It has spiky features along on the wing edges, head, knees, back, tail and tail tip and is known as the King of the skies because of it's behavior to stay in the air during battle most of the time. Rathian on the other hand is the female counterpart to Rathalos and is colored green with large spikes on it's wings and tail. All spikes on her tail are poisonous. Due to this it has a less aerodynamic shape and mainly stays on the ground. It is know as the Queen of the land.

"Yeah it's Rathalos and Rathian mating season and it's not uncommon that there are a large amount of urgent quests for hunters to do to population control for them," Rain said as they were in the hot air balloon slowly heading towards the hunting grounds the duo wyverns were last saw. "Plus it's two new wyverns you haven't seen and trust me they're pretty common to see while you' re out hunting almost anywhere," he said sharpening his upgraded longsword the Rime & Treason. It's cold blade letting off a cool blue color while it let off an icy mist as he sharpened it.

Twilight nodded and readjusted the measurements on her uprgraded Arko Du(W) that looked like dark butterfly wings that also gave off an ice-like effect. It's rainbow colors looked dull and reminded her of her friends back in Ponyville. She hoped they were all alright without her. Her new bow allowed her to apply status coatings instead of more damaging ones which would allow her to whittle away her enemy while Rain finished them off up-close.

As soon as the air balloon landed the two headed over to the campsite to gather their items to go out on the quest. This time they were taking a trip to the Deserted Island where the mountains and seas seemed to be full of life even though there weren't any inhabitants besides the wildlife there. The duo left the camp and hiked all the way up to the top of an inclined ledge where a small river ran to fall off the side of the cliff.

"Hmm this is typically where they like to hang around," Rain said just as they made it to the top. "let's wait a bit since we do have some time till they might show up," he said taking off his orange Wroggi hat that was a piece of his new armor set that had light orange linnings before fade out to a dark brown color. He also wore a brown cloth around his mouth and mixed brown and light orange boots with metal coverings around the knees.

Twilight wore the same set without the scarf and looked around cautiously, "what if the monsters come?" she asked sounding concerned for his safety.

"Well just cause you're a monster hunter doesn't mean you can't relax on the job once in awhile, it does get stressful," he said smiling before taking off his boots to lay his feet in the gentle, cool waters of the river. "You do need to relax and let all the stress go away sometimes," he said as he laid backwards.

Twilight looked confused at him, but then smiled "you remind me of somepony," she mumbled to herself. She shook herself of the thought of her friends and focused on Rain. "Well I guess you're right," she said before joining him to relax. She paused before turning to him, "Rain why did you become a hunter," she asked curiously.

Rain smiled before it disappeared, "well my father was one of the most successful hunters and well he disappeared during a hunt one day," he said before he turned away and stared off over the ledge. "That was twenty years ago and he was a lone hunter which is why nobody knew anything about him," he said softly still staring off at the water falling over the ledge. "The sword I had when you first met me was his first weapon he used." He looked back at Twilight, "I'm happy I met you and that you hunt with me, it would've been lonely to hunt on my own," he said with a smile.

Twilight returned the smile, "I was scared at first, but I'm glad I ran into you when I did you saved my life not once but twice," she said putting her arm on his shoulder. "Oh one more question, what was that ma-" she began to say but was cut off by a loud roar that seemed to come from nearby.

Rain quickly put his boots and his hat back on before grabbing up his sword. "We should get a move on they're nearby," he said before wrapping around the scarf around his mouth.

Twilight paused before grabbing up her equipment and putting back on her hat and boots before nodding. She drew out her bow to be ready.

The two began to hike back down the incline to see the first wyvern slowly walking around. Its red razor sharp scales had a dull glisten in the sunshine. It's contrasting black scales gave off a shiny light. It's ferocious blue eyes gazed over to the two before letting out a load roar.

"That's Rathalos, be careful," Rain warned before drawing his sword and running forward towards the dragonic beast.

Twilight nodded as she drew her bow back for an accurate shot that looked almost like an icicle fly into one of the scales of the wyvern.

The unpleased Rathalos roared once again before jumping to leap to skies.

Rain looked back at Twilight, "get it down," he told her.

Twilight nodded but before she could do anything she watched as the Rathalos clawed down on Rain and pinned him down. She aimed quickly for the Rathalos, but instead broke into a run towards the wyvern.

It's head leaned in close to Rain and opened slightly showing it's rows of large white jagged teeth.

Twilight took out an arrow slammed into the beast's eyes. It then cried out and staggered backwards.

Twilight lent out her hand to help Rain up, "that was close," she said as Rain got up.

"Yeah a little too close," he said before wiping the Rathalos's drool from his face. "Anyway let's finish this," he said picking up sword.

The Rathalos stayed staggering all around dripping blood from the eye with an arrow lodged in it's eye.

Rain rushed in at it, but rolled to the side to avoid being crushed underneath the monster. Once it stood back up to its feet he slashed at it's face ferociously.

The Rathalos swung it's tail around, but Rain parried it and slid backwards from it's force. It then leapt backwards into the air to fly off.

"Dang it got away," Rain said looking up as it flew away.

Twilight came up next to Rain, "don't worry it seems like it flew over this way," she said pointing to a small trail of blood leading into a small clearing that then led up to a steep cliff.

Before they could leave a green spiky wyvern slowly landed down behind them. It's light green wings outstretched showing it's odd pattern. It's golden eyes focused on the two hunters in front of her before raising her head high and letting out a similar roar to the Rathalos.

"Forget the Rathalos we got her to deal with," Rain said rushing in towards.

The Rathian backed quickly before letting out a fireball flew right passed Rain and lit the ground next to Twilight on fire.

"These things can shoot fire?" she asked jumping away from the fire on the ground.

Rain ignored her question and raised his sword to slash downward onto the Rathian's chest. Before turning the blade upward to draw into another slash that released ice from it's blade.

Twilight quickly loaded power coatings into her arrows before letting loose a barrage of arrows that flew directly at the Rathian. Even though all the arrows stuck into the beast, it reared it's head and charged trampling Rain in it's way.

Twilight rolled to the right and prepared herself to launch more arrows at the beast as it fell trying to stop itself from charging.

Rain got to his feet and ran past Twilight and yelled, "cover your eyes!" He threw a small projectile towards the wyvern before the object exploded into an expansion of light that seemed to daze the beast.

Twilight looked up after seeing the flash go off and the Rathian running around charging at nothing. She ignored the urge to ask him what he did and continued to shoot arrows at the confused wyvern.

Rain did his best to follow a certain pattern of attack to keep dealing damage to it. Wide slashing before focusing on it's legs and ankles before rolling to dodge it's tail as it continued turning around in circles.

The Rathian stopped and looked directly at Rain before roaring, fire leaking from it's mouth to show its anger. It backed up once again and looked ready to let loose another fireball.

"Twilight duck!" Rain yelled over to her getting ready to dive out of the way. Little did he know his prediction was wrong before the Rathian let out a wide blast of flames that blasted Rain backwards and lighting up his armor with small flames as he rolled backwards.

Twilight ran over to Rain who was slowly recovering from the blast. "Are you alright?" she asked watching the monster stare them down from a distance.

"I'm fine," he said as he got up holding his sword. The tips of his gauntlets tinged black from the fire that was once there. "I'm going to need you to throw this," he said handing her a ball that looked similar to what he had thrown before.

"What is it?" Twilight asked looking over it.

"It's a flash bomb it can stun a monster with a blast of light, just look away when you throw it," he said turning back to the Rathian. "I'm going to lure it over here and try to injure it a bit more, after you stun it start using exhaust coatings," he said getting ready to run at the Rathian.

Twilight nodded and waited for Rain to lure the Rathian closer to them. the Rathian was staring at them with it's fierce gold eyes scrapping the ground occasionally with it's feet and drooling from it's mouth.

Rain ran forward towards the Rathian trying to get it's attention . The beast growled lowly before charging right for Rain. It's feet seemed to drag against the ground as it ran forward towards them.

Rain then dived to his right as Twilight threw flash bomb right in front of the Rathian. Just like before the bright light blinded the beast once again making it stagger and attack the air hoping to hit them.

"Nice toss," Rain said walking over to Twilight. "Let's finish it," he said getting ready to charge back in. But before he could a Great Jaggi came running into the area with a pack of small jaggies following closely behind him.

The purple and slightly orange beast scraped it's legs viciously against the ground before letting out screechy cry similar to the Great Baggie's cry. It's eyes were focused on the two hunters, it knew it was no match for the Rathian.

"Twilight let's get out of here!" Rain said running before grabbing Twilight's hand.

"Why? We can do it," she said protesting.

Rain kept running and pulling her along, "No! It's too dangerous to be fighting two big game monsters at the same time with just the two of us and I'm sure our gear isn't that strong to do that either," he said as he slipped into a inter-pass that seemed too small for the Great Jaggie to fit through. "Here! Come!" he said helping her slip through the passage.

The G. Jaggie seemed persistent and grabbed onto the back of Twilight's armor and tried to pull her back out.

"Rain! It's got me!" she screamed out. She could feel Rain's hands slipping to keep their grasp on her hands.

"Twilight move!" he ordered before drawing his sword.

She immediately obeyed and watched as Rain stabbed his sword straight past her to hit the G. Jaggie right in it's face. It immediately released it's grip on her armor and she and Rain fell forward onto the ground. They could hear the G. Jaggie's screechy cry before it was cut off and they saw the Rathian fly away gripping it in her talons. The jaggies down below screeched out and seemed to scatter off into small nooks and crevices.

The two watched as the beast then flew over them and right onto a nearby cliff.

"I think that's where the Rathalos flew off to too," Twilight said pointing up at the cliff.

"Well let's find a way up there quickly, it's becoming night and more monsters will be showing up," he said looking around.

The two of them began to hike back to the spot they had rested until they noticed a small opening by the gentle waterfall. They slowly descended into it to see a wide open cave that seemed to have a little piece of the ocean within it's caverns.

"This is pretty amazing," Twilight said looking around.

"We'll admire it later right now we have to kill these things," Rain said looking around. "Look there's a ledge that we can climb," he said pointing to his left. There were two small ledges that seemed to lead upwards. "Maybe they'll be up here," he said climbing up the first ledge and then turning around to help Twilight up. They had then came to a rough path that led to a dimming light to reveal the two wyverns feasting on the G. Jaggie's corpse.

Rain and Twilight ducked back to the wall to prevent them from being seen.

"Ok it's obvious that they're both exhausted because they seem really ravenous," Rain whispered.

"What are we going to do then?" Twilight asked just as she loaded an arrow in her bow.

"Relax, we have to play this smart," Rain said rubbing his chin. "It's either all or nothing, we don't have too much time to complete the quest and we can't afford them flying off again," he said before looking in his pouch. "Ok here's what we'll do," he said taking out a few odd looking things. "I want you to throw another flash bomb to stun them both, if the Rathalos tries to fly away I want you to shoot it with this special coating," he said handing her a small jar of liquid. "I'll take care of the Rathian first and then once she's done I'll handle the Rathalos that should be on the ground," he said drawing out his sword.

Twilight nodded, "what happens if we can't complete the quest?" she asked Rain.

"Well all our hard work would be for nothing and we'll be out a lot of money," rain said in a low voice. "And we need funds to do more quests so you can get back home," he said turning to peek at the two wyverns.

Twilight sighed, "alright let's do this," she said picking up two flash bombs.

"Now Twilight those are our last two flash bombs so make sure both of them are looking towards you before you throw it," he said warning her.

She nodded, "I got it," she said as Rain charged out first screaming at the top of his voice to make sure the wyverns noticed him.

The wyverns looked over to see the familiar hunter before both let loose a combined roar that seemed to drown out any noise.

Rain motioned to Twilight to throw the flash bomb and before they knew it the light flashed brightly confusing the two wyverns.

Rain quickly rushed over to the Rathian to finish it off with an upswing underneath it's chin. Twilight focused on the Rathalos who was getting ready to take to the skies.

"Oh no you don't," Twilight said to herself as she shot the Rathalos in the side of it's wing causing it to immediately fall to the ground. It squirmed as it writhed on the ground confused and in severe pain.

Rain then began to slash away doing a combination of quick slashes on it's face causing it to chip away with every slash he threw at it.

Before he could land the finishing blow the Rathalos backed up and took flight. It launched a fireball down at Rain who somewhat parried it but was sent sliding backwards. "It's going to get away!" he yelled back at Twilight.

Twilight looked at the distance the Rathalos was going, it was slowly ascending into the air. "No it's not," she said cocking back the string to it's furthest point and letting the air fly at lighting speed to the Rathalos. The arrow seemed to pierce through it's face and all the way to it's tail. It dropped down as soon as the arrow left it's body and lay still on the ground.

Rain looked back at Twilight, "not bad," he said smiling and waving. "Just in time too now let's get these two back to the camp, get some felynes to come," he said pointing to the exit.

Twilight sighed exhaustively but wore a proud smile as she bound away.

Rain leaded up against the rocky surface and slid down to sit. "She seems to get better every quest we take, she's turning into a true hunter.." he said to himself chuckling.