• Published 15th Mar 2012
  • 1,422 Views, 51 Comments

The Doorway - MetricCaboose



Max Powers and his current companion "Thomas Stone" set out on an adventure to Equestria.

  • ...
1
 51
 1,422

Chapter I: Arrival

Authors Note: The prologue has been redone so it’s at least readable now. I took everyone’s advice and got a pre-reader. So hopefully there aren't as many mistakes. The pre-read was a bit rushed.

Chapter I: Arrival




“Okay Thomas…” I looked around to make sure nothing could see us. I then pulled us off the road. “Before we go into Ponyville, I think we should go over some things first.”

“Oh don’t worry!” Thomas exclaimed. “I’ve read plenty of fan-fics to know what to do in Equestria.” Thomas afterwards decided to step back onto the road leading to Ponyville.

“That still doesn’t mean anything, this is a whole new dimension that you or neither I have ever been to. You just can’t walk into a random town and expect the locals to be friendly!”

Thomas then turned around and responded heatedly. “Well, why not?!”

“We can’t just trot into town and instantly become friends with everyone!” I said as I started pacing back and forth. “First, we need to find the mayor and then find a place to live until I can find us a way back home.”

“How long do you think we might be here?”

“I don’t know, days, weeks, months, even years. Until I can find out what happened to the Doorway, we can’t leave here.”

“Come to think of it, I might have something useful in my bag.” I muttered to myself. “Hey Thomas, I need that bag.”

I walked over to him and tugged at his bag. “I’ll need this.” He agreed and gave me the bag. I slowly opened the bag, peering inside at its contents. Hmm… water, food, extra clothes for Thomas, magazines, ammo? “Oh shit! I just…” reaching farther into the bag, I slowly pulled a gun from the bag. A Colt M1911, modified to fire a .50 Action Express and outfitted with an extended magazine. “Well this is bad, I don’t remember putting this in here…”


FLASHBACK


Stepping out of my bedroom in the doorway, I looked around to see where I was. A huge circular room with many doors lining against the wall and a large conference table in the center.On the far end there was a raised platform with the exit. Looking around I spotted the door I was looking for ‘The Kitchen’.

In the kitchen I prepared a quick breakfast. Starting by walking to the refrigerator, I opened it and pulled out the ingredients. “I always do love to eat a healthy breakfast consisting of eggs and toast.” I said aloud, winking at a non-existing camera. Shutting the door I noticed a little note. ‘Do not forget to pack for the trip!’

“Oh goody goody! Todays the day I get to travel again!” Rushing with my breakfast, I walked to the next room ‘The Armory’.

Inside the armory, I turned on a light revealing a long corridor with cabinets stretching down as far as the eye can see. Spotting what I needed in the distance, I approached it quickly. It was a golden cabinet with a plaque on it stating ‘Legendary Weapons’. Throughout my travels, I have collected many weapons. Most of them I will never use, but I still have them anyways just to show off.

Opening the cabinet I reach in there and pull out a gun. “My precious…” The gun I was looking for was a modified M1911, this gun was from my original dimension. When I left, this was one of the things I took with me. “Okay, now just to grab the ammo and… Shazzam!”

I slammed the cabinet shut after retrieving my supplies, and then reached into my pocket, pulling out a metal tin. “Mentats” I read aloud. “God I love these things!” Sure I know that their bad for you, but I just love these things. The Fallout universe really changed me and made me the man I am today. Leaving the armory I pop a pill and then walk out towards the exit…


PRESENT TIME


Snapping back to reality, I realized what I’ve been holding in my hand. “Uhhh… Thomas you might want to see this.”

“Sure, but why”

Thomas slowly approaches behind.

“Why did you need the bag any-WOAH?!” Thomas shouted as he realized I was holding a gun. “Why do you have that?!”

“I thought if we got separated you might need some form of protection, but by the looks of it, I guess we won’t be needing this.” I looked at the gun to admire its work before shoving it back in the bag. “Don’t worry, you won’t be seeing this again.” I said to him.

He sighed in relief before speaking again. “Oh that’s good” Tom exclaimed. “I was hoping this wouldn’t turn into some crazy murder story.”

“Well then, if you’re ready, lets head into town.” I said before closing the bag and slinging it onto my back. We both start walking towards the town. As we got closer to the town, I could start to see the finer details of it. Ahead of us was a arched bridged that lead over a shimmering river. Connected to the bridge was a simple cobblestone road leading to a small section of the town up ahead. This part of the town looked like the back entrance, probably because of the lack of ponies there.

I looked over to Thomas and ask “So about these ponies?”.

Thomas snickered a bit before resting a hand on my shoulder. “Don’t worry, if its anything like the TV show, they should be real nice.”

“You’re really going to base them off of the TV show.” I asked.

I looked further ahead and saw that we were about to step onto the bridge. While walking to the other side, I felt a slight pain because of the unnecessary arch of the bridge. Ahead I could see a bright and colorful town full of life. The structures were made of timber-frames with thatched roofs and the occasional overhanging upper floors.

“Oh man, were finally gonna do this!” Thomas shouted with increased enthusiasm.

“Now slow down, I don’t want you to scare off the locals.” I told him in worried tone.

Ahead I could see that the ponies few ponies that were out at this time were setting up stands or opening their stores. Checking the sky, I saw the morning sun now slowly rising to its peak. “Before we actually mingle with people, I think it would be best to talk to a local authority before we actually settle in.”

I sighed as I looked at the approaching town. “I don’t want to get ran out of a town we just got to.”

One of the ponies glanced in our direction, but quickly went back to work before doing a double take and screaming in fear. “RUN! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!” The distress of the mare set of a chain reaction and caused all other nearby ponies to panic and run around in alarm.

In unison we both utter the same phrase. “Oh hell, we just got here!”

Looking ahead I saw a group of ponies galloping to our position, before stopping at our feet. The lead pony shouts “Stop! In the name of Celestia, we command you to relinquish your arms and stand down or we will use force!” Starring at them, I figured they were the local law enforcement. They were sporting blue coats that had markings on them probably showing their rank.

The lead pony was a blue stallion with a darker blue mane Walking over to m, he commanded me to hand over my bag.

“I’m sorry, I think we may have come at a misunderstanding.” I said as I take off my bag and raise my hands to show no harm. Thomas to the side of me agrees and also raises his arms. “Can you tell us what we did? We’re new here and we ju-”

I quickly get cut off by the commanding pony. “There have been reports of mysterious monsters on the outskirts of the Everfree Forest.” He says with a commanding voice. “We’re sorry if we may have interrupted you, but you will have to come with us. Will you two comply?”

Lowering my hands I agree to his terms. “Yes we will.”

One of the smaller ponies trotted up and grabbed the bag. We were then both pushed into the direction of the town hall.

“Before we go any further, can I ask why we are being detained?” I asked.

“You’re not being detained, but I think you might want to meet the mayor.” The lead pony responded. “You also might need an escort to the town hall.”

I nodded in response and prepared myself for the long walk into the town.


As we slowly made our way further into town we got a lot of looks from the ponies, all ranging from confusion to fright as some ponies even ran into their homes at the sight of us. We even got a surprised look from a mint green mare who just stared at us and smiled in glee. Looking around, I took in the full sight of Ponyville. Observing the town, I saw many different stores holding all kinds of items. One building caught my eye, a simple house with navy blue door.

One of the ponies spoke up before I could catch another glimpse of the building. “We should be there pretty soon, don’t try anything with the mayor or we will detain you!” With a lighter tone he says. “By the way… My name is Blue Cuffs.”

“So Blue Cuffs, why are we meeting the mayor?” I ask hesitantly.

“We’ve never seen you’re kind, so we thought we should take you to the mayor’s office.” He answered as if he was also confused. “We already called ahead to announce you’re arrival so the guards don’t get startled.”

After walking for what I thought was an hour, we finally arrived at town square. Looking around I took in the scenery, smiling as I saw a large pavilion with a fountain of a mare rearing up on her hind legs Around it were multiple benches and in front of the fountain was a large building that shot towards the sky.

Blue Cuffs stopped in front of me to make an announcement “This is town hall, I’m sorry but my squad and I will have to leave you here. Just walk up to the guards and follow them inside.” He stopped to take in a breath. “We really shouldn’t have left our post anyways, but we couldn’t leave you two alone.”

Blue Cuffs then walked toward me, handing me my bag. “Take care, and don’t do anything stupid.”

I thanked him, then waited for him to walk off a fair distance before speaking. “Hey Tom, we should probably do as he said.” After hearing a lack response, I turned around to see him gazing at the surroundings, completely mesmerized by everything going on around him. I grabbed his shoulder causing him to steer back in surprise.

“Oh, sorry about that!” He yelps in surprise.

I started to walk towards the town hall. “That’s okay but I think we should do as he said before people start staring at us.”

He looked around one last time before quickly following after me. “Hey about all this happening…” He stopped nervously. “What if they kick us out?”

I turned to him before stepping onto the patio of the town hall, giving him a grin to let him know everything will be alright. We then approached the two guards. They were both wearing golden armor and had swords at their sides hanging, concealed in their sheaths. They nodded at me and then lead us into the building. Inside I saw a plain room with a reception area and a small lounge. Next to the reception area was a door that probably led upstairs. Following the guards,

I walked with them towards the door, waiting for the command to go in.

One of the guards finally spoke up. “Open this door and follow up the stairs. At the top you will come across a long hallway. The door at the end of the hallway is the mayor’s office, knock before you enter.” Once he finished talking, he walked back outside with his partner.

Deciding it would be best to do as he said, I opened the door and slowly ascended the stairway. The stairway was a spiral staircase that only went up three floors, I did as the guard said and reached the top floor. I arrived in the hallway that he was speaking of. At the end of it was the mayor’s office. Adorning the hallway were four other doors, each spaced out perfectly from each other with plaques naming the owner of the room.

I turned around to Thomas and slowly nudged him forward. At this point, he was too tired to talk or even fully understand what was going on. “Tom, I think you might need to take a break soon.”

Thomas, becoming alert once again responded sluggishly. “I’m sorry but I feel like a zombie right now, I honestly don’t know how you do it…”

“I’ll talk to the mayor and try and get us a someplace to stay.” I told him casually. Thinking to myself how exhausted he must be by this point, I rushed to open the door before remembering to knock. Taking my hand from the knob, I instead raised my hand to knock.

After a moment, I heard a faint voice of a female. “Come in!”

I opened the door, immediately being greeted by a mare. She had a tan coat with long wavy hair that was a shade of grey with a lighter shade of grey mixed in. She also wore reading glasses that were tilted at a slight angle along with a collar at her neck. Her cutie mark was a beige scroll with a blue ribbon tied around it, suiting her occupation perfectly.

She flashed me a smile before speaking. “Please take a seat.” she said as she pointed over to two seats pulled up to a desk. She then trotted over behind her desk and sat down in a leather seat.

I once again nudged Thomas over to the chair and plopped him down, almost instantly he was out like a light.

Embarrassed by his actions I quickly spoke. “I’m terribly sorry about my friend, it’s just that… we didn’t exactly get any rest on our way here.”

She now noticed my friend, giggling a bit before speaking. “It’s okay, I actually have some important questions to ask you, regarding you’re arrival, then I’ll send you on your way..”

A bit confused by the suddenness, I couldn’t help but stammer a bit. “I’m sorry bu-”

I was quickly cut off as she properly introduced herself. “Oh where are my manners! I didn’t even tell you my name.

Please call Miss Mayor.”

“Uh…okay Miss Mayor. My name is Max Powers… It’s very nice to meet you.”

I smiled a bit before continuing.

“My friend and I have come here looking for a place to stay…except we don’t exactly have any money, seeing how were not from here.” I said with my usual form of casualness, as I took a seat in the chair.

“I can provide you room and board for a short time, but eventually you will have to find another home.” She said with a hint of pity in her tone.

“There is one thing I’m curious about… I’ve never seen your kind around here.” She finished with a puzzled look on her face. “In fact you don’t exactly look like you belong here…”
She stopped, realizing what she has just said. “Oh, not that I mean you’re not welcome here.” She said embarrassingly.

“I’m sorry but why exactly are you going to give us a free room to stay at?”

Giving a friendly smile she said “We people of Ponyville like to treat every traveler with respect and help them along their way, unlike the towns Manehatten and Las Pegasus…” Ending her statement with a frown.

“I can fully understand what you mean by that, I will be glad to tell you about us and where were from.” I said holding a poker face.

She took a look at me and studied me for a moment before speaking again. “I assume that the townspeople didn’t seem so friendly towards you.”

“About that… The authorities actually mistook us for monsters. They did no harm after seeing what we were, but it actually brought us here which was in fact, a good thing.”

She nodded in acknowledgment to what was I said. “So I know this might come off a bit rude, but what are you?”

“I’m a human.” I say confidently.

She starred at me for a small moment before speaking. “That’s odd, Lyra spoke of something like you before, but I always ignored her.”

“I’m sorry, but who’s Lyra?” I asked, failing to hide my interest.

“Lyra’s a mint green mare. She’s absolutely crazy about humans and I can understand why. I think it might be best to avoid her for now, but in the mean time it’s getting late and you look like you might need a place to stay for tonight.”

“I was actually just about to mention that.” I said excitedly. I looked at her while she started to reach under her desk to pull out a folder.

“Here you might need this” She said while sliding the folder across the table.

“What exactly is this” I asked as I reached for it.

“That folder will have everything you will need for your stay here. I also made arrangements for you at a local inn.” She then rose from her seat and trotted over to the door, opening it. “I expect you two are very exhausted from your travels, I’ll just send you on your way.”

“I just have to say thank you. If it weren’t for you, we might have had to sleep in the streets tonight.” I said sarcastically.

I stood up and walked over to Thomas. I called his name, waking him up after a few tries. “Come on Tom, we should get out of here.”

Thomas lazily got up from the seat, standing at my side. He tried to envision what was going on. “So did you get us a place to stay?”

The Mayor answered for me “Yes, I have provided you a place to stay, but only temporarily.”

We then said our goodbyes, then exited the office. We started to walk down the hallway, reaching the stairs we descended, reaching the bottom floor hastily. I pulled open the door and looked into the main room, seeing a grey
Pegasus with yellow mane arguing with the receptionist.

I decided this was not any of my business. I continued to walk past the arguing ponies, quickly reaching the exit. Pulling the door open, I nodded at the guards to let them know the meeting went well and continued to walk over to the fountain.

Taking a seat by a nearby bench, I looked at the folder the mayor gave me with enhanced interest. Opening it, I saw a couple pieces of paper as well as a check listing. It could be cashed for one hundred bits. Unsure on how much that was I would be sure to ask somepony about that.

“Hey!” Alerted by the sudden outburst I looked up from the folder to see a mare with a mint green coat. She had cyan mane with white highlights and a horn poking out from her mane. “I’m sorry to bother you, but you and your friend look like you need a place to stay, right?”

“I’m sorry, we just met and I’m not sure who you are.” I reply with hesitation.

“Oh! My name is Lyra… Lyra Heartstrings, but you can just call me Lyra.” She said as she extended a hoof out to me.

Taking the hoof and awkwardly shaking it, I spoke with somewhat obvious discomfort in my voice. “Well my name is Max Powers and it’s nice to meet you…”
“I saw you back at the market place.” She said eerily.

“Uh, yeah now that I remember, I think I might have also seen you too.” I said with growing discomfort. “I’m sorry but I was actually on my way to an inn to stay the night there. Could you help me get there?”

With gleam in her eyes she said in delight. “YES YES YES!”

Surprised by the sudden outburst, I stood up slowly. Bumping into Thomas, he whispered to me “I think we should avoid her.”

Turning to him I murmured a response. “I know what you mean but we don’t exactly know our way around this town and we could use the help.” I then turn to face Lyra and brace myself for the barrage of questions.

“So you’re a human?”

“Yes I am.”

Looking even more excited she started speaking faster. “How do you walk on two legs so easily?”

“I can’t exactly explain it, it’s just natural.” I said before making a statement. “Can we start heading to the Inn now?”

“So… Would you like to come back to my place?”

“I’m sorry what?!” I said sounding surprised.

“Do you two want to come over to my house?” She said, flashing a seductive look.

“No, just no…” I said awkwardly. “Just take me to the local inn.”

“Sure it’s over this way.” She said with a deflated lack of enthusiasm.

Lyra then started to trot away from the fountain and over to the nearby street corner. Following, I looked down the road, seeing an assortment of colorful buildings. At the end of the street I saw a small rectangular building with a small pavilion and what looked like a restaurant inside. The three of us started to walk down the road until we reached our destination.

“Well, thank you Lyra. I guess we might be seeing each other again sometime.”

“Can I come with you?”

Ignoring her question I waved her goodbye and then walked inside. Lyra looking saddened now started to slowly walk away before disappearing around a street corner. “That was awkward” I said to myself.

“I can’t believe she just did that.” Thomas muttered. “I knew she had an obsession, but that just takes the cake!”

“Wait! You know who Lyra is?!”

Turning back to me he explains. “Well, Lyra has a fantasy of being a human… So she wants your body.” With a snicker, he patted my shoulder jokingly.

I simply rolled my eyes and replied with obvious sarcasm. “Very funny Tom. Now if you don’t mind, I’m going to find the receptionist.”

Looking around the inn I saw a small reception area to the side of the room, and on the opposite side of that I saw an even smaller lounge with a vending machine standing next to the chairs. Walking over to the reception area, I saw a small bell on the counter. I rung the bell and was instantly surprised by a black stallion eerily popping out from underneath the counter. He seemed to have a tired look on him, as if he was sleeping under the counter the whole time and I had just awoken him.

He spoke with forced enthusiasm “Well hello there! You seem to…” Noticing my appearance he stammered a bit before speaking again. “Oh it’s you. The mayor called ahead and made reservations for you. Your room is at the end of the hallway behind you.” He handed me a key after he was finished. “The name is Jericho if you were wondering. If you need any help just ask me.” Once he finished, he quietly slumped back underneath the desk, disappearing from sight.

“Thank you, we’ll just be heading to our rooms now.” I said as I grabbed the key and walked to my room.

I reached the room after making my way past crowds of customer. Pulling out the key, I inserted it into the keyhole, hearing a click as I turned it. I pulled open the door and looked inside. There were two small beds up against one wall with nightstands right next to them. At the end of the room was a small window that showed the now night sky. Looking to my left, I saw a small bathroom and a closet.

“Well, home sweet home…” I said quietly.
Stepping inside the room, I threw my bag to the side and closed the door behind me after allowing Thomas to step inside.

I walked over to the nearest bed and feel into it. Feeling that it was a little small, I struggle around a bit before getting comfortable.

“Night Max.” Thomas said quietly.

“Yeah… night.”

Falling into a semi conscious state I started to review all the things I had done in my life, this by far was one of the strangest things I have done in my life. “And now to sleep.”

The last thing I thought of before losing consciousness was that crazy pony named Lyra…







Authors Footnote:
So yeah…
Chapter 1… enjoy!
Took me a bit longer to release but I still did it.
Now if you don’t mind me, I’m going to be busy again.