• Published 17th Dec 2013
  • 1,712 Views, 83 Comments

Tale of Soarin McLighting - Electuroo



Soarin McLighting, an airshow spitfire pilot and ex-RAF test pilot for new planes in the United Kingdom. He dreams of a land of magical talking ponies where the wonderbolts take flight, this is tale when it does in a unexpecting way

  • ...
9
 83
 1,712

Prologue: Life is Perfect

Tale of Soarin McLighting
Prologue: Life is Perfect

Explosions of fireworks lit the sky and music was heard all over the picturesque city of Canterlot as the party from the wedding went on through the night. All around, everypony was enjoying themselves, watching the bride and groom dance to the song Twilight Sparkle was singing into the microphone.

Soarin stood in his shirt and tie, tapping his front hoof to the beat and softly humming the tune to himself. “H-hey Soarin!” He turned his head to see Rainbow Dash in her bridesmaids outfit, stepping up to the table. “Wh-what did ya think of the Sonic Rainboom?”

“Great way to kick off the wedded pair, the Princess did a fantastic job picking you for that,” Soarin replied, still listening to the music Twilight was singing to her brother and new sister in law.

“So how's it going Dashie?” He asked, before realising his mistake.

“Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! you called me DASHIE!” she squeed in delight and grabbed Soarin, squeezing him in her hug.

"Err... Dash?"

“Hehe oops,” she said, letting him go then rubbed her head with her hoof, clearly a little embarrassed at her reaction.

Soarin shook his head softly. “I'm not in my flight suit so relax, we're all friends here.”

“I-I know, but you're the co-captain! Usually I see you with Spitfire.”

“Yeah, she couldn't make it, training all the newbies is keeping her busy. I'll pass a word on for ya, but I can't promise anything though.” Soarin smiled as he said this.

“Sweet! Thanks Soarin!” she replied before beginning to walk away.

Soarin put a hoof to her shoulder, stopping her in her tracks, and causing her to look down at his hoof before turning her gaze back to his bright, green eyes.

“Dash, Relax. This is a party. That's why we're here, to have fun and enjoy ourselves. Now, where's Applejack? I've got to try another one of her awesome pies.”

“I think she's made some little cakes with apples on them?” Rainbow Dash rubbed her snout as she thought about it. “Care to come with me to get a bite to eat?”

“Sure!” Soarin got up “Mares first!” he announced, smirking as she turned a shade a red in the face and walked ahead of him.

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

A hand reached out to the alarm going off over and over again, getting louder with each passing second. As the hand connected, the alarm cut off. “Urg...” he muttered, sitting up in bed, yawning. He picked up a small object off the table next to his bed and, after pressing a button on the front, began to slowly speak into the device.

“Soarin McLighting, without the N before the 'ing'... another dream about the pegasus Soarin. He was talking to the mare named Rainbow Dash... some sort of wedding at Canterlot... Today marks 15 years since I've been having these dreams...”

Soarin stood up and walked over to the mirror to look at his reflection, still speaking into the device. “Got into the habit of doing my hair up similar to the pegasus's... colour and all, it's been about seven years on that line. Happy 15th anniversary to me, yay...”

Soarin walked over to the window and looked out towards a plane landing on a airstrip a few miles away.

“Today is the local town airshow and I will be flying the Blue Lightning Spitfire. I really like that plane. It's funny how my dreams turned it into a living, breathing pegasus named Spitfire. At least, that's what the psychologist suggested. That, and that my dreams of being a pony pegasus were just a desire to be in the skies for real. I think he's right.”

Soarin walked into the kitchen, turned the kettle on, pulled out some bread from the bread bin, and butter and bacon from the fridge.

“Why else would I love to fly a Spitfire in the airshows and then take care of that plane as if it were alive?” He chuckled softly. “This talking magical pony thing in my dreams is just that, a dream, something my subconscious did to help my piloting career to reach its heights.” Soarin paused for a moment, thinking about it. “Heck, I used to fly the fastest and most insane aircraft the RAF could get in the air. If these dreams are how I deal with that then so be it. This is Soarin McLighting signing off, having tea and a good old fashioned bacon sandwhich with some ketchup.” He laughed a little at this, putting the handset down and stopping the recording to finish his breakfast.

After eating, Soarin got changed out of his nightgear and into jeans, socks, boots, a light blue t-shirt and a dark brown leather jacket with a light brown, fluffy, fur lining on the collar. Dusting it a little with his hands, he smiled at himself in the mirror and felt a slight sense of pride welling up at the Union Jack stitched onto the leather. “Not bad Soarin,” he said to himself and left the house soon afterwards, getting into his navy blue car and driving to the airstrip.

Soarin arrived at the airstrip and parked in the usual spot, got out his car, locked the door and walked up to the gates. After showing his pass to the guards they led him into the airstrip itself where a number of people were getting ready for the airshow. “Hey Blue!” He stopped and put a hand to his head. A lady with ginger hair and wearing a flight suit ran up to him, carrying a helmet. “Ready for the show?”

“Sure am Mist and it's 'Soarin' now, not Blue... how many times do I have to tell ya?” He said with his arms crossed.

“Now come on, I know you like me calling you that sweetheart, if you're in a bad mood so be it, just leave your bad mood on the ground when you're in the sky ok?” She prodded her finger on his chest, put the other hand on his side of the face and gave a kiss on the lips. “Have fun Soarin.”

Soarin was frozen on the spot for a moment and blinked with a smile. “That Mist... she sure knows how to make me feel better.” He watched her head to the hanger with a Harrier Jump Jet in it. “Well I'd better get to the hanger before it's our turn to take to the skies.” He walked off down the runway to Hanger Six to see three spitfires sitting there.

Soarin step up to one of them putting a hand to the metal surface of the plane. “Hey there Blue Lightning, ready to take to the skies?”

“If she answers I'm running.” Soarin turned around to face the black haired, dark skinned Canadian. Nathan was wearing similar clothes to Soarin, although his displayed a Canadian flag rather than a British one. With a smile he put his hand out to Soarin “Hey Soarin ready to take to the skies?”

“You bet I am Nathan” Soarin took his hand firmly with a smirk.

“That how I like to see my boys, chilled and with smiles on their faces!” A lady stepped into the hanger also wearing a similar outfit to them but with USA flag on hers. “Now partners, get yer helmets on and let's give 'em a show!”

“Sure thing Sugarcube,” Nathan chuckled.

“That's Captain Reese Ruby to you Nathan!” She poked him in the chest with a serious look in her face. Seconds later all three of them burst out laughing and clapped hands. “Yer really think I'd be that serious?”

“Not at all... 'Captain' Ruby” he chuckled

She rolled her eyes, brushing her tied back blonde hair. “You boys are too easy to tease.” She flicked her finger up at Soarin, causing him to flinch. “See, too easy!” she declared before walking back to her plane to help with one of the flight teams. “We're first on the the show, you have ten minutes to get the planes ready to take off, so let's give 'em a show, ok boys?”

“We sure will," Soarin replied running up to his plane, taking his helmet and putting it on. “See you two in the skies.”

“See you in the skies Soarin!” both replied and climbed into their planes to do their final checks.

Soarin sat in the cockpit of the plane with a smile “This is what I live for, the thrill of flying to let others enjoy the show of some of the most awesome planes around, great friends, great job! And an amazing girlfriend friend that flies a Harrier! What else can I ask for? My life is perfect!”

The cockpit canopy locked in place and the flight crew gave the thumbs up to each of the pilots who gave one in return as they started to perform their final checks. The humming of the twin engines kicked in as the propellers came to life.

Author's Note:

Alright the beginning is up and thanks to my friend Joe for proofreading it.

I am not sure why or how I came up with this but I just did while thinking of endless different story ideas alongside the Zaps Apple story that I am working on and still am for sure. I really enjoyed making that one so far and thought I put this up to see what you all think of this one so far as a beginning.

Love to hear your views on this my friends!