• Published 13th Mar 2012
  • 1,387 Views, 70 Comments

The Hoof Games - Akemimi



Twilight Sparkle battles to the death in a crossover of Suzanne Collin's The Hunger Games and MLP.

  • ...
16
 70
 1,387

The Night of the Tributes

*******************

I lay in my new bed, staring at the ceiling. I can't believe that it's been only a day since I left home.

Home. Scootaloo. Soarin'. Hunting. I miss it all. My only wish is to go back home, to everyone I love, to a warm welcome, to...no. That all can't happen, unless I win The Hoof Games. I sit up in bed to the door opening.

There stands a mare in a white vest, her red mane flowing. I silently gasp.

Could it be? That girl who was in the forest? I stand up, slowly walking over to her as she bent down to retrieve my clothes. When she straightens up, her eyes widen in fear at the side of me. I'm confused for a second, but then I realize that I'm too close to her. I step back a few, and she calms down. Obviously, she's an Avox, because I know that she would've yelped.

I examine her for a second, then look back to her face. It's beautiful, really. She's a pale pink color, perfectly matching her hair. "Thanks," I say. The mare only nods, walking outside my door. A few seconds later, Pinkie Pie stops by my door.

"Hello!" she greets in her peppy manner. "I stopped by to say that you need to get ready for The Night of the Tributes! Rarity's downstairs with your outift, and with the prep team to make you shine! It's a happy happy day!" She giggles, prancing down the hall.

I wonder if she takes extra sugar in the morning. Probably so.

*******************

I arrive downstairs where Rarity waits with a costume in her hooves. I gasp at the sight of it. It's not that type of outfit that tributes from County 6 would usually wear. We supply coal, and they always wear a outfit with a miner's hat. But Rarity is obviously has a talent with making clothes, because my outfit is glorious.

It's a tight black suit, with a small cape on the back of the neck. The suit is covered in small shards of coal. I sit with Rarity, talking for a little bit about it. Apparently, the shards of coal are set to light up, like a fire. I thought that was cool.

Me and Rarity walk to the changing room, and after I change into the suit, the stylists pull my mane back into a braid across my head, and the back is a simple ponytail. They also do my makeup, which turns me into a completely different pony. My eyes pop out, and they made my face look slimmer. We're set in a room, waiting to go to the dead center of the Capitol. Spike's dressed in the same outfit as me, which I hate, because I don't want the ponies watching us to think that we're all cutesy together, matching. It would make us look weak, and we would be the Fancies' first target. And they get time before they're actually picked to compete to train. It's against the rules, but they do it anyway, just because they're the Capitol's favorites.


*******************

We arrive at the center of the Capitol, where many, many, many mares and stallions have come to check out the tributes. I find it hard to see someone grieving us kids being killed in a arena with 23 others. Just seeing the other tributes is painful, because there's one little filly, with a yellow coat and a mare the color the mix of red and pink, probably 12, that looked so innocent. I couldn't possibly kill her, she seemed so weak. I shrugged it off. I had to ignore her, so I wouldn't get the thought of her death in the arena.

Rarity gets my attention, by saying, "It's time- you and Spike need to get on the carriage." I nod, climbing slowly to the top. There's two stallions, pegasi, who're guiding the carriage. Spike climbs atop, and we exchange looks of worry.

It's almost time for the tributes to be released in order of counties. I turn to Rarity, whose hands are locked together, raising an eyebrow at us. I give her a wince, turning to Spike. I'm about to say Rarity's instructions, but he already knows, and takes my hoof into his claw. I look to our joined hands, feeling a light blush on my face. My eyes widen. No, I can't like him now. If I did, I'd have to kill him, and then I'd be heartbroken. I can't let that happen.

For the Night of the Tributes, a pair of tributes at a time go out. County Six is last, so we have to wait a bit before we exit the gate. County One's tributes are wearing a flashy dress and tuxedo, embedded with silk and ribbons. They're wearing a really silly headdress. I snicker.

Then goes County Two. Diamonds, rings, earrings, necklaces, lots of jewelery on them. County Three's tributes wear goggles and suits with '010101010' all over them. The County Four tributes are wearing plain white t-shirts and jeans, which I don't think will get them sponsors. If I haven't already explained, sponsors are what they are. They look over the tributes, and give them supplies like food, medicine, all kinds of stuff.

Right before us is County Five- where that little filly's from. She and a pale yellow stallion with a orange colored mane wear black-spotted jackets and pants with a cowbell and meat on their shirts. Cattle and food. How unique.

Finally, it's our turn. We lock hooves and claws, ready. The gate in front of us opens, and the pegasi start flying out. There is a hush amongst the audience, then they all cheer wildly. I guess our suits are on, flashing what looks like fire, but isn't.

Then I realize something- they didn't cheer as loudly for the other tributes. I smiled, knowing that now, we have the whole Capitol in our hands. They're sure to sponsor for us.

The carriage stops, leaving us in front of a tall post, where the Hoofmakers sit. Our leader, President Moon, walks up to a podium, her dark indigo mane swirling around. "Welcome tributes," she says in her booming Capitol voice, "to the Night of the Tributes. I know that this is hard on you, but it's your fault that you rebelled."

For some reason, the people of the Capitol laugh. I don't get why, though.

Moon starts again. "Remember- you must stay focused in that arena. No matter what," she nods her head, "keep an eye out for others. And as always," she stops. "May the odds be ever in your favor. Good luck to you all, and happy Hoof Games!" The Capitol bursts into applause. I clap slowly, but stop. Up on the post, I notice something about the way President Moon's face has changed. It was smiling at first. But now...

She was scowling. At me.

*******************