• Published 18th Dec 2013
  • 795 Views, 17 Comments

What If - LightningTune



What if the mane 6 all went their separate ways?What if they never even met? What if...

  • ...
0
 17
 795

That's MISS Sparkle To You

Twilight arranged the things on her desk in a neat little row. "Pens and pencils on the far left, papers on the far right, my mid-morning snack in the middle, and my mid-afternoon snack next to my beige coffee cup on the end table." She said to herself with a proud smile on her face. "An organized desk is an organized mind!" She thought. A neat and orderly workplace was one of her few pleasures in life, and she loved it that way.

"U-uh Ms. S-Sparkle? Can I come in p-please?"

Twilight looked up from her work,

"Oh, Springwings, hello! Yes, come in."

Springwings slowly shuffled to her seat in the front row of the classroom. Then she got out her baby-blue notebook, the same color as her coat, and copied the agenda on the board to her notebook. Twilight smiled to herself and resumed her work. "Such a good student," she thought, Comes in, does her work, and leaves. Unlike her peers.

As if on queue, five other ponies trotted into the room.

"...And then I said, Pretty Petals, if you cut your mane yourself, you might as well be as poor as Raggedy Rugs!"

The other four students laughed in unison, as their leader, Golden Peaches, flipped her mane proudly at the juicy gossip she just shared.

"Ohhh, look at the dweeb sitting all alone!" Creamdream snickered.

"Yeah, she always gets here early, 'cause she doesn't talk to anyone!"

Basketball Blitz whispered.

Twilight could hear every word, but she made a promise to herself to never get involved in, "immature squabbles". So she simply whipped off her hooves with a cloth, and approached the board to write the daily response question.

Springwings could also hear every mean word, and could feel a lump materializing in her throat. But she forbid herself from crying. One mare from the group came up to Springwings and sneered, "Where do you get your mane cut, dweeb?"

"Me?...W-well, actually, my c-cousin F-flutter-"

" I was just kidding! I don't care about your stupid excuse for a mane!" Springwings agitator injected.

Springwings whimpered in response, and the mare went back to her group, who was now crowding around Basketball Blitz's desk in the back of the room. Twilight cleared her throat and called for the classes attention, as now almost all the rows of desks in the classroom were occupied with students. The group of troublemakers rolled their eyes and went off to their own desks.

"Welcome back from spring break class," Twilight began, "We've got a lot to cover, so sit up straight, and answer the response question on the board, 'If two Pegasi were traveling at 20 miles per hour for three hours, but one started flying seven minutes before the other one, how many yards did that pegasus travel?'" After about six minutes of silent voices and the sounds of pencils scratching paper, one student raised their hand.

"Yes, AppleCider?"

"How do you spell "traveling", Mrs. Sparkle?

"Ask another student, and it's MISS Sparkle, AppleCider." Twilight sighed.

She loved her job...really, she did. But Twilight sometimes wished she had pursued a different career than lecturing a group of ungrateful teenage delinquents who didn't know how to spell!...B-but she loved her job...really.

She could remember the very day she applied for a teaching position at Canterlot High...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twilight's legs were shaking so hard she could have sworn it wasn't her and there was and actual earthquake under her feet. "I can't do this. I can't do this. I really can't do this." Twilight thought. "...NO! Nono...no,I can do this?...I can do this! I can, and I will, because I have worked too hard! I have worked too hard for this job and I must and I will!"

Twilight was so caught up in motivating herself that she failed to notice that she had completely stopped walking and was now still as a statue in the middle of the school entrance. A pure white unicorn with a purple mane walked by her, and considered saying something to her, but she was late to get home to her daughter, and she was not one for being late.

Twilight finally snapped out of her daze and walked up to the entrance. The hallway was dimly lit as she walked to the front office. She was expecting cold, hard eyes, asking her questions she didn't know the answer to. Instead, she was greeted by a friendly secretary, and a few minutes after that, a friendly stallion in a blazer and tie.

"Thank you for coming so early in the morning, Miss Sparkle! I'm CheerBolt! I'm in charge of the job interviews, now if you'll just follow me,"

They walked in silence until they reached the office. Twilight sat down in a chair, and CheerBolt began,

"So Miss Sparkle, do you have any previous job experience?"

"Um, I-no"

"Hmm, okay, do you have any foals in high school right now?"

"No."

" What made you interested in becoming a teacher?"

" Well, I...I think its important to teach young minds what they need to know."

Twilight was also going to say that she was a great speaker, and that people enjoyed her teaching, but those would be lies, because she didn't know if she was capable of being a great speaker, and she didn't really have any friends that enjoyed her teaching. Her friends mostly liked to drink tea at The Sugar House, formally known as "Sugarcube Corner", and talk about how lousy the weather was.

After the job interview, Cheerbolt said he would call her in a day or so, but Twilight knew she shouldn't get too hopeful. After all, she wasn't very experienced, its not like she was some sort of prodigy, or genius. But soon enough, she got a call the next day.

That was the best day of her life.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whenever Twilight felt lonely, she thought of that wonderful memory. "See?" She would tell herself," You don't need "real" friends. Your students are nice enough, your apartment is clean, and you enjoy your job."

It never occurred to her that five other ponies all scattered across Equestria, were thinking a similar thought.

Author's Note:

Well, there it is, my first chapter. I'm a newbie at this, so I know the format is probably shabby, but please, feel free to comment on this chapter, and all the ones after it.




But seriously, no mean stuff. That never does any good for anyone.