• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 2,138 Views, 40 Comments

The Mirror and the Mare - RefugeInSilence



Have you ever wondered what it's like to be someone other than yourself?

  • ...
7
 40
 2,138

A Bright Spark.

“Ooh! Where could that geeky little brother of mine have disappeared to?” A mare muttered to herself. She was mare in her mid-twenties, bright blond hair on her mane and tail, amber eyes and a pale sky blue coat of plush fur. Her cutie mark upon her flank was a pen in the midst of writing with stars around the pen.

She had been worried, her brother had just up and disappeared on her when she came back home to visit their parents. She had asked them but both of them looked angry and denied that they even had a son.

“What was the deal with them anyway?” She wondered to herself, “Just what did you do Kindling to piss off mom and dad that much?”

She continued her search throughout the streets of Canterlot, asking various ponies about her younger brother and checking out the places he might visit often. Each place however was met with no success, it was late in the afternoon and she had checked every possible place she could think of.

“I should just give up and try again tomorrow.” She sighed in defeat.

“Bright Spark?” A voice called out, “Is that you?” Bright Spark turned to the source of the voice.

“Ms Cheerilee?” Bright Spark questioned, “Hey I haven’t seen you since I left school.”

“I’m happy you remember me.” Cheerilee smiled, “You were such a handful back then. Anyway what brings you these parts?”

“I’m looking for my little brother, apparently our parents disowned him.” Bright Spark explained, “I want to know why, my brother isn’t the sort of pony who would do anything that bad.”

“I see…” Cheerilee replied. She wondered how she was going to explain this, or was it even her place to say anything. She sighed to herself before continuing, “Your little…brother has changed quite a lot here, so much that you may not recognise…him. From what I understand it’s been a hard couple of years, but I think it would be better if you heard it from the horse’s mouth as it were.” Cheerilee was careful in what she said; she did her best to catch herself to avoid saying anything further than she shouldn’t.

“Ms Cheerilee, all you alright?” Bright Spark asked, “Do you know where my brother is?”

“…” Cheerilee hesitated, “I can tell you where you might find…him, but it’s not my place to say anything further as much as it pains me.”

“Was it really that bad?” She thought to herself, “Could my little brother be in prison? Or in the hospital?”

“I suggest you go talk to Rarity over at the boutique at the end of the street.” Cheerilee pointed, “She’ll be able to tell you more, or at least find your brother there…”

“Why would my brother be a boutique?” Bright Spark asked confused, “Does he work there or something?”

“Yes, Rarity was kind enough to give…him a job there.” Cheerilee explained, “It’s most likely your best bet of getting some answers at the very least. Just try and keep an open mind about it.”

“Thank you Ms Cheerilee!” Bright Spark hugged her former teacher in gratitude and said her goodbyes.

Once Bright Spark was out of sight, Cheerilee sighed and silently hoped that everything would be okay between the two.


Bright Spark entered the boutique, a slight ringing of the bell above the door signalling her entry. She was greeted by Spike, who gave her a curt nod.

“Excuse me, but would it be possible to speak to Rarity?” She asked the teenaged dragon, “Ms Cheerilee said I could find her here.”

“No problem, just wait here a sec ma’am, I’ll go get her for you.” Spike answered, and headed off to fetch Rarity.

Bright Spark was left alone in the front of the store, and she took a moment to look around at her surroundings, dresses and suits of different sizes and colours adorned the store. Some of the more elaborate outfits were on display on mannequins. Bight Spark looked on in awe at some of the designs.

“Can I help you, dear?” Rarity asked, “Spike said you had something to talk to me about.”

“Yes, I was told by Ms Cheerilee I would be able to find my little brother Kindling Spark here.” She explained to Rarity, “I’m his older sister Bright Spark.”

Rarity took a moment to consider her options, and she knew Cheerilee wouldn’t say anything that wasn’t her place to say. Rarity supposed she could tell her, but it might be better if Hearth Fire explained it herself. This was a family matter after all.

“I’m afraid you’ve got me at a bit of predicament darling?” Rarity explained, “I can only tell you so much, as it isn’t my place to get involved in family matters.”

“What!?” Bright Spark questioned, “Fine what can you tell me?”

“You are correct to come here; I’ve offered to help by giving your younger sibling a job as my apprentice.” Rarity answered, “In fact if you don’t mind waiting a while I’m sure you’ll get your answers soon enough dear.”

“Why can’t you tell me anything more?” Bright Spark asked impatiently.

“It isn’t my place to say, and besides this is a family affair.” Rarity explained, “Somethings are better explained face to face dear, in fact your arrival has be expected for some time now.”

“Kindling was expecting me?” Bright Spark asked, “Then you know what happened right?”

“No, but I have an idea of what could of happened.” Rarity replied, “Now dear would you like some tea while we wait?”


Bright Spark took her up on her offer; there was a tense silence between the two. Bright Spark knew Rarity had a better idea of what was going on, but she was refusing to say anything further on the matter.

Bright Spark's eyes caught a glimpse of a photograph of two ponies, both were mares one had a fur coat similar to Rarities and the same eye colour so Bright Spark assumed it was a family member, the other one she recognised straight away.

“Isn’t this Snails?” Bright Spark questioned, “Why do he look like a mare though?”

“I assume your referring to Glitter Shell; she’s a transgendered stallion to mare and a close friend of my sister.” Rarity answered after taking a sip of her tea, “I hope that isn’t a problem with you dear?”

“What? Oh no.” Bright Spark replied shaking her head, “My mom and dad will though.”

“Hmm…” Rarity was quiet for a moment, “Glitter Shell is like another little sister to me, her family had kicked her out and almost all her friends had abandoned her. She almost took her own life…”

“Who stood by her then?” Bright Spark asked curious.

“Well dear aside from myself and my sister Sweetie Belle.” Rarity answered, “There was Cheerilee, my sister’s friends Applebloom and Scootaloo, and I do believe Glitter is a very close friend with Ditzy Doo’s daughter Aero who is much like Glitter herself.”

“It must have been hard for her…” Bright Spark stated with a hint of sadness in her voice.

“It was dear,” Rarity answered, “Transgendered ponies need all the support they can get through such hard times.” They were interrupted by the ringing of the bell above the front door. “If you excuse me for a moment darling, I have to see to this.”


I entered the boutique; I was wearing something casual today with some light make up. I admit I had gut feeling that something was going to happen today. It wasn’t the first time I’ve had that feeling either. I was greeted by Rarity who looked like she was expecting me.

“Good evening Hearth Fire.” She greeted in a hushed tone, “It would seem you have a guest today, she’s been looking all over for you from what she has told me.”

“What!?” I exclaimed, “My sister is here!?” I did my best not to panic.

“Now Hearth Fire darling, we both knew this day would come eventually.” Rarity reassured me, “You told me yourself that your sister would come looking for you.”

“I know Rarity…” I replied nervously, “I just didn’t expect it to be so soon. I don’t think you could be ever prepared for something like this.”

“I’ll be there with you all the way.” Rarity reassured me with a small smile, “Shall we go in and tell her?” I nodded and let Rarity lead the way.

Bright Spark was waiting for Rarity to return, and was wondering what was keeping her brother. Rarity re-entered the room accompanied with a younger mare.

“Bright Spark I would like to introduce you to my apprentice Hearth Fire.” Rarity reintroduced me to my older sister. I gave her a nervous smile.

“You have two apprentices?” Bright Spark questioned.

“Um…I-I…er..H-Hi sis…”I said nervously.

“Kindling?” Bright Spark’s face was hit with realization, “Oh Celestia! Kindling…is that really you? Is this why mom and dad kicked you out?” I nodded awkwardly.

“My name is Hearth Fire; I’m your little sister…t-that is if you still want me as a sister.” I said nervously, but my sister said nothing out of shock.

“Oh Celestia! This is my fault, this was because I dared you to sneak into that fashion show wasn’t it?” Bright spark panicked, “It’s my fault your like this.”

“…” I began to cry, “S-sis..?”

“Hey now…” She hugged me, “I’m not going to abandon you over this, I couldn’t do that to my little sister now would I? You know I’m not like mom and dad.”

“T-Thank you.” I said wiping the tears from my eyes, “I-it’s been hard since mom and dad kicked me out, but thanks to Rarity and Silver Wind a lot of the pressure has been taken off my shoulders.”

“Who’s Silver Wind?” Bright Spark asked narrowing her eyes while she went into overprotective big sister mode.

“M-My Coltfriend…” I said sheepishly.

“If you pardon my intrusion dear, but if you don’t mind me asking, but what did you mean by it’s your fault?” Rarity asked my sister.

“Well…” My sister started, “When we were in school I dared my little sister to sneak into the charity fashion show the school was hosting at the time. Hearth was 10 years old at the time. She ended up entering by mistake because one of the hosts thought she was one of the younger models.” Bright Spark laughed sheepishly, “Mom and Dad weren’t very happy when they found out.”

“Ah yes I remember that, Glitter and Aero were telling me about somepony sneaking in back then.” Rarity commented.

“Are you done embarrassing me now sis?” I pouted.

“I’m your big sis I get full rights to embarrass you as much as I want.” Bright Spark teased, as she mussed up my mane. “And besides you’ve got to introduce me to the lucky stallion that snatched up my little sister’s heart.”

“We’re adults now and you still haven’t changed a bit sis.” I said amused.

“I would think you would be used to it by now.” She deadpanned.

“Well Hearth Fire, it looks like you have a lot of catching up to do with your sister.” Rarity smiled, “It’s only fair that you get the night to yourselves to catch up.”

“Thank you Rarity.” I smiled grateful. I was happy that my sister didn’t reject me like my parents did…

Author's Note:

You didn't think I'd forgotten about this fic did you? Also a bit of a shout out to Aero and Glittershell which I'm a huge fan of. Anyway I hoped you enjoyed this chapter.

- Silent.