• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 931 Views, 17 Comments

Risen Earth - PonyTom



An Earth Pony Revolution has changed Equestria. With her friends scattered and her world shattered, can Twilight save what remains?

  • ...
2
 17
 931

Chapter 6: Catching Up and Grieving

Remember the 'Soap Box' ponies? I learned who they are - the 'Earthen Alliance.' Originally, they started off as a group of farmers who strung together and collaberated to increase profits and produce for all involved. As they grew, so too did their ambition; it quickly became obvious that the majority of them were Earth Ponies. At first, this meant nothing, but somehow, it lead to them rejecting unicorns and pegasai because of 'different methods of production' - unicorns mostly could use magic to manipulate plant growth, and pegasai often used any clouds available to them to assure they had moisture. Deeper investigation lead me to find that earth pony farmers grew resentful of the others - they saw unicorns as 'cheating' to produce superior product by unnatural means, and pegasai as potentially harmful by stealing rain from other farmers. Then, at some point, a new face showed up; one Alfriston Apple.

I was surprised to say the least.

He came from a family that held onto outdated beliefs about unicorns and pegasai; unicorns were agents of chaos and evil that corrupted the world and perverted nature, and pegasai were sky barbarians who disregarded the freedom of nature to operate as she sees fit. Normally, nopony would pay this stallion two seconds of their time, but he had happened upon an organization that was finding itself resentful of the two groups he despised. He gained leadership pretty easily. Despite his archaic beliefs, he was a genius; he knew the economy, he knew sales trends, and he knew how to sell. Under his influence and leadership, the Earthen Alliance expanded rapidly. Within time, they were no longer a simple alliance of farmers; they had grown to encompass elements of industry, science, and medicine as well.

Eventually, Alfriston Apple passed on of old age, leaving no known heirs (although some ponies claim he had bastard foals). With his death, his beliefs of witches and sky-barbarians faded, and by all means, that should have been the end of it.

The Earthen Alliance has morphed; the organization of farmers that once was is now gone, and even the companies that it birthed no longer recognize it's history of bigotry (at least, not on a public level) but somehow, somepony has taken the old name and is using it to push... something. They keep talking about being 'downtrodden' and 'disenfranchised' but nopony is quite sure what they want. They seem to be amassing numbers and making claims of 'marching the streets of canterlot to show the princesses they are not a lower class citizen.'

If I find more, I'll be sure to write it here; you're not just a journal at this time, you're also a research partner.

From the journal of former princess, Twilight Sparkle
One month before Ponyville incident

****

Pinkie Pie had to blindfold me as we left the Underground (though this time I opted to ask her not to hit me in the head) and, though it took a while, we eventually found our way back to her house. As soon as we were inside, she asked Teacup to make tea while we caught up, and then she lead me to a study; one I'm not sure if she authentically needed or used, or if she just wanted to have a study. Seeing as she's a writer, but also Pinkie Pie, any of those things is possible. Soon, Teacup had brought us our drinks, and Pinkie gingerly took a sip before starting up a little friendly banter.

"Soooo, what have you been up to these past few years?" She said cheerfully. "Besides the obvious. Meet anypony? Make any nice friends? Get married?"

"Well..." I began, pondering the question. "... I.... have a friend named Stock who's really kind to me..."

"Ohhh!" Pinkie shouted, hopping in her seat. "Does Twili have a crush!?"

"What!? No!" I shouted, before considering myself, recomposing, and clearing my throat. "No... no. Stock is a good stallion, but he's old enough to be my father." I thought on that. "Actually, I think he's a few years older than my father... but you get the point."

"Nothin' wrong with older stallions!" shouted Pinkie, grinning. Wait, what? I had to ask, I was curious.

"Have you dated an older stallion?" I leaned forward a bit in curiosity at my own question.

Pinkie hummed. "Well, no, not really." She waved a hoof. "But I had sex with one once!" I really wish I hadn't been sipping tea when she said that. I'm sure Teacup agrees with that sentiment, even if he made no sign of it as he politely cleaned up what I spat out. Pinkie hummed. "Well... twice? No, there was one stallion that looked like he could be older..."

"P-Pinkie Pie!?" I shouted, shaking my head. "Do I really need to know this!?"

Pinkie blinked and giggled. "Oh don't worry Twilight, they were clean!" She stopped once more. "Accept for that one pony... but that went away after a few weeks of using that ointment the I had to rub on my-"

"Can we please change the subject!?"

Pinkie gasped. "So sorry, Twilight! Here I am talking about my sexcapades when you probably haven't even popped your cherry yet!"

I... wh... I... what!? Did she really just say that!?

"Pinkie Pie!?" I was blushing more than I think I have ever blushed before, or since. Don't get me wrong, Pinkie was always rather random, but this was ridiculous! This mare seemed to have no sense of privacy in her whatsoever! "For one, it's none of your business what I have or haven't done with a stallion, and for two, why are we even talking about this!?" Really, why? I thought we were trying to catch up, not talk about what goes on in the privacy of our bedrooms!

Pinkie Pie only giggled. "It's okay Twilight! Stick with me and you'll be beating stallions off with a stick!" She stopped and hummed. "Which I imagine to be painful cause most ponies use their hooves and-"

"Alright!" I held my hooves up. "I'm done with this conversation. I am changing the subject. This has gone on long enough. Pinkie Pie, tell me about your writing career. Have you met any famous ponies or anything?"

Thankfully, a familiar part of Pinkie kicked in and she didn't even question the sudden shift. "Oh yes!" She took a sip of her tea. "I've gotten to meet a lot of other famous ponies! Of course, none of them knew who I was, and I didn't know who some of them were, but it was a common understanding we all did something important!" She giggled a bit, shaking her head. "I ran into this one earth pony, 'Theo Physics', a scientist! He's really popular, and between us, a supporter of the Resistance's cause on a secretive level!" Finally, something that I was comfortable with. "We talked a lot about theoretical physics, the lingering effects of magic on non-magical objects, and even bits and pieces of philosophy when he realized that I didn't know much about physics and science!" She giggle-snorted. "Don't get me wrong, Twilight, I can build a candy cane helicopter bike and a welcome wagon that shoots confetti and bakes cakes, and I have a degree in engineering and all, but I'm not specialized in theoretical physics!"

I nodded. "Well, that sounds perfe-" I think that's when it hit me. "Wait, you have a degree in engineering?"

"Mmhmm!" She nodded. "How do you think I build all my awesome party equipment? Anyway, he and I talked a lot, and believe it or not, he actually started helping the Resistance after we met; not because of me, mind you, we met again at a meeting and were both surprised to find one another there."

"Wow Pinkie" I shook my head in utter disbelief. "That... that's amazing!"

She nodded and took a sip of her tea. "He was pretty good in bed for a stallion who liked to use big words!" Once more, I found myself disappointing Pinkie's help by spitting my tea out.

After a bit of recomposing myself (and a relaxation pill that Teacup offered me; funny that he seemed to know I'd need it) I got to telling Pinkie a bit of my own experiences. "... Well... as you know, I spent some time on the move with Zecora. During that time, I met a lot of ponies, but sadly never forged any lasting bonds or relationships. When we split apart and I found myself in Vanhoover, I developed a friendship with Octavia..." I sighed. "I already knew cousin Vinyl-"

"Vinnie's your cousin!?" shouted Pinkie. "Whoa! That's soooo cool! You two are nothing alike!"

I smirked. "Tell me about it... anyway, we got really close during that time. I showed Vinyl how to disguise herself, and Octavia helped me find work when it became obvious she alone couldn't support all of us. Vinyl was absolutely unable to work because even with a disguise, she risked being recognized if she stayed in one place too long, so that's just how it had to be. Eventually, Octavia decided to help Vinyl find a new home, to start over. While she was gone, I found my own meager earnings weren't enough to pay for a two bedroom apartment, and eventually my boss, Stock N. Barrel, let me live in his spare room."

Pinkie nodded, staring at me as I told my story. It was nice to have somepony to tell all this to, I'll be honest. "During that time, I met one other stallion named Rush..." I saw Pinkie's expression brighten, but threw my hoof up. "Don't say it - he's a jerk. He's a sexist macho pig and he's asked me to make him sandwiches on the few occasions I tried to get along with him."

Pinkie shrugged. "Yeah, sometimes they're like that. That's when you show them a little girl power, though!"

I quirked my brow. "Girl power?"

Pinkie grinned. "You kick 'em straight in the family jewels!"

I winced a bit at the statement; I may not be a stallion, but that didn't mean the mere thought didn't hurt. "I... don't think he did anything to warrant that.... he never really made himself physically dangerous or anything..."

"Oh!" Pinkie hummed a bit, then shrugged. "Well then, nothing a good old hoof to the face won't solve!" I smiled and nodded. "Then, if that doesn't work, you kick 'em straight in the baby makers!" I was honestly left wondering if Pinkie was authentically trying to be helpful or if she was subtly implying some sort of fetish. Better not to think on it.

Once we had finished our Tea, Pinkie hopped from her seat and jumped in place. "Oh! Oh! Twilight, I almost forgot! I have a room set up for you so you can stay here with me while you're here and not have to stay in one of those cruddy motels!" Before I could say anything, she began hopping along; rather than question it, I followed her. It wasn't long before we found ourselves in her library.

"Pinkie..." I said, looking around. "I appreciate the thought, but I don't think I can sleep in a library... I mean, I could, but this is your library, and I'd hate to take up space, and-"

"Not here silly!" She giggled, bounding towards a bookshelf. "Here!" She reached a hoof forward and grabbed on a book, giving it a tug; it began to reel open, and behind it was a door. Pinkie reached into her mane and withdrew a key, which she placed into the lock and twisted, and then she pushed the door open. We entered a round room that I almost fell to tears upon seeing; book shelves lined the walls, there was a mini-kitchen in one corner, and there was a set of stairs that lead to a loft; it was built like a unicorn magician's study tower!

"When I originally had this added to the house, we were gonna have Trixie live here..." she said, smiling as she took in my reaction. "She's sort of our 'magic expert'... for lack of a better one, anyway. A lot of the big wigs either fled or were captured in the early stages of the revolution. But Trixie got really good at magic... not quite as good as you are, but she's not just a stage magician anymore. Even when she can't use a spell she can usually figure out how it works." She giggled a bit, clopping her hooves together. "For all intents and purposes, it's a hidden study! Buuut, if you look at the books on the walls..." She stared at me expectantly; clearly she wanted me to see rather than telling me herself. I smiled and played along, walking towards the bookshelves and looked them over. I think my eyes became wide as saucers when I realized what had been there.

"P-Pinkie... these... these are books on unicorn magic!"

"I told you I had magic books!" she said, smiling even bigger, if possible.

"How did you get all of this!?" I shook my head, turning to her. "These books... they're contraband! Just possessing them without turning them into the authorities is an act of treason! How did you get so many? You couldn't possibly have gotten all of this before the revolution!"

Pinkie grinned. "Oh?" She hopped around. "Twilight don't know me very well, do she? I used a lot of money and contacts to gather these up! Some of them I was able to actually recover from your library after the Ponyville Massacre! In the end, I managed to make sure nopony would figure me out, and Trixie had a place to study!"

"Wait.." That's when I realized it. "You said you built this for Trixie? Where does she stay? Will I be rooming with her?"

"Oh no" Pinkie giggled. "She prefers to stay in the Underground. She used this place for a few months, but started staying down there just to be sure she was ready as soon as she was needed." Wow... Trixie had changed a lot hadn't she? "Anyway, Twilight, this place has everything you need; a bathroom, a kitchen, even an escape hatch if things get sticky!" I couldn't believe the thought that had been put into this place. I smiled to my friend, and for what seemed the hundredth time today, found myself hugging her. "Thanks, Pinkie..."

"Also, Twilight?"

"Yes?"

"How's your back?"

I blushed a bit, looking around. "A little tense, but not so bad I can't move."

She smiled that kind, caring smile we've all adored for so long. "Want me to help?"

I considered it a bit, but found myself smiling a bit in return. "If you wouldn't mind..."

With that, I was once more laying on my stomach as Pinkie Pie massaged my back. This time, she wasn't pressured by a bunch of other ponies to finish, so she seemed to get her hooves into each and every muscle. It was comforting, really, to know that despite how much everypony has changed, at least Pinkie Pie still cared. But that lead me to wonder... what about Rarity? What about Applejack? Had they changed? How much? Would I even recognize my old friends? These thoughts suddenly weighed heavily on me, and it was then I realized I had an important question to ask... one I wasn't sure I wanted to know the answer to.

"Pinkie?"

"Mhm?"

"... is... is it true... what they say about Fluttershy?"

Pinkie stopped for just a second, but then resumed the massage. I heard her sigh a bit. "... Yes..."

Maybe I just didn't want to accept it. "Are you sure?"

"We're a bit more certain of it than we were of you..."

"Why?"

"... I saw her get shot myself..."

I felt my chest tighten as if my heart had stopped beating.

"... I was with her that day... it was... two years ago, I think?..." She sighed. "I lose track of time sometimes... anyway... she had gotten a bit tired of Rainbow Dash's methods. She supported her, even when the Resistance turned to espionage, theft, and blackmail... but when Rainbow started having ponies killed... she was unhappy..." Pinkie took a breath, not once pausing the massage. "She wanted another way. Sought another method... and that was when she decided to go to Applelooza." She smiled a sad smile. "Did you know that Spellbreakers didn't work on Discord?"

I was honestly surprised. "What? Really?"

She nodded. "His magic is... different. Unlike unicorn magic, Spellbreakers couldn't stop his power; only contain it. Even then, the closer you actually got to Discord himself, the less effective Spellbreakers got... or so the rumors go... " She stopped her massage, and moved around to lay in front of me. "... Fluttershy had discovered that they had captured discord and intended to study him to find a way to make the Spellbreakers stronger. So, they were sending him to Canterlot to be studied, and Fluttershy, myself, and a small group of ponies intercepted them." Pinkie Pie frowned, looking to her hooves sadly. "We had no way of knowing there was a spy among us."

"We found the train, and Discord was in there... but as soon as Fluttershy made her move, a pony came from no where..." Her eyes welled with tears and she whimpered. "... There was a loud crack... and Fluttershy... she fell over..." Her body started to shake a bit. "We rushed to her, but she was bleeding so much... by the time we reached her, she was already turning pale..." She shook a bit and took a breath. "She... she looked so scared at first... as if pleading for help.... but then she relaxed.... and.... then she said.... 'I'm sorry'...."

Pinkie Pie stopped herself for a moment, and took a deep breath, though her eyes were still wet. "... Discord saw it too. We... kind of believe he had been letting them contain him... not that he was actually under control... because in that instant... everything happened all at once. A train car came to life and rammed into the shooter, crushing his bones... but he was kept alive as he was smashed again and again and again. Rocks tore from the ground, trees sprouted legs and went on a rampage... I was forced away by the soldiers..." She whimpered a bit, shaking her head. "They didn't even let me try to take her back... everything twisted and turned like clay, and then, once we were far away..." She waved her hooves around half heartedly. "... A big... burst of magic.... and the trees were all over... the vines were everywhere... there was barely anything left of the town, and anypony who was still inside was gone..."

Pinkie let out a rattled sigh as she let her eyes fall to the floor. "... Fluttershy wanted to bring peace... and she was killed for it... not just her... so many others... innocent ponies even... stallions, mares, foals..." I began to notice my own eyes were wet, so I brought a hoof up to brush away the tears as Pinkie tried to compose herself. "... I... I think Dashie took it the hardest... She... had already been really distant before... but ever since then, she doesn't let anypony in... she will only concede her ideas when she's beaten by consensus..." Pinkie Pie gulped and looked to me with sad eyes. "... And it's a very rare occasion that the majority disagrees with her..."

I found myself reeling from all of this new information. Word of Fluttershy's death was bad enough, but to know the details...? I think... I think I was too shocked to properly cry. Or maybe I had already gotten that out of my system and having it confirmed was just enough to help me accept it? I'm not sure. Psychology is a funny thing. It was then that Pinkie smiled a sad smile. "... When we first had the chance... we put a tombstone for her right next to yours... gave her a proper eulogy... even an epitaph..." Pinkie Pie cleared her throat and recited...

'Anypony can live for war, but only a true hero will die for peace'

It was a fitting epitaph for a wonderful pony. I closed my eyes and took another deep breath. It was then that I realized I was going to do something I hadn't done in a long time.

"Pinkie? Do you have any alcohol?"

***

"Remember *hic*... remember that one time that... that.... that Fluttershy went to Iron Will's 'Self Help' thin... thingy?"

I'm going to be honest; I'm a sparing drinker. Even when I do drink alcohol, I don't usually drink enough to become inebriated; I'm told I'm one of the few ponies anypony knows who can get into a college-grade lecture while plastered. But seeing as I am the only one of my friends who didn't get to properly see Fluttershy off, I figured this was right.

"Yeah!" said Pinkie, giggling. Pinkie held her liquor better than I did. "She was all 'You block, I rock!' and she scared everypony big time!" She burst into a fit of giggles and snorts, kicking her hooves around like a little filly.

"Oh man... I... I still can't believe that... that she told that... that... whatsisface off..."

"You just said his name! How could you forget it?" She said it playfully; I knew she was just being joyful.

"I forget things! Sometimes! Names. Faces. Birthdays. One time? I forgot it was my own birth*urp* ... birfday.... an' then... an' then you told me.... 'Haaappyyyy birfdaaaay!'.... an' I was all... 'whaaaat?" I burst into a fit of drunken giggles that I'm certainly happy I can barely remember. "An'.. an' Fluttershy... she... she jus' told me.... she told me that she was sorry she didn' get me anything.... an' asked me over an' over if I wanted anythin'.... cause Fluttershy? She wash a good mare.... she.... she'd give you the shirt off 'er back, if she was wearin' one...."

"I knoooow" said Pinkie. "In fact, one time she did give me a shirt she was wearing. it was cold out, and she saw me shiver. I already had a sweater on!"

"She was... so.... so kind..."

"So friendly..."

"Always... trying to help...."

I don't know if it was the alcohol or what, but at that moment, I started bawling. Pinkie was crying a bit too, but she was holding it together better than I. She leaned towards me and took me into a hug, brushing my mane.

"I... I didn' *hic*.... I didn even.... shay goodbye.... she never knew I was okay... an'... an' I coulda... I coulda been there for her... an' maybe I coulda saved her...."

"Shhhh... shhhh.... it's okay, Twilight..." Pinkie cooed, rocking me back and fourth. "I know you would have helped if you could...."

"B... but I was... I was shelling booksh... while you girls were doin' somethin' meaningful *hic*.... I was ordering paperback copies of cheesy, poorly written teen romance novels about vampires for ponies that hated me..." Pinkie simply continued to rock me back and fourth, brushing my mane with her hoof as I bawled into her shoulder.

"Twili... I know Fluttershy would realize you did everything you could..." That at least calmed me down a bit, but I was still crying. "... You know what I think she'd say?"

*sniffle* "What...?"

"I think she'd say... that she knows you... that you'd have done the same thing in her place... and that you have no reason to blame yourself..."

"B-but... I could have-"

"But nothing" said Pinkie, firmly, but still in a motherly tone. "... You've suffered enough... and nopony had any way of knowing what was going to happen... even if you had been there, it may not have changed a thing...." Logically speaking, she was right; if they thought they had Discord contained with some uber spellbreaker, chances were I'd be in a nearly catatonic state. Did I forget to mention I was drunk at the moment?

"... But I coulda used my pretty princess powers on them..."

Pinkie just giggled and nuzzled my forehead. "It's alright Twilight... Fluttershy is at peace now... all we can do for her now is live life, and live it well...." I simply nodded a bit, still being held by my friend as I soaked her shoulder with my tears. "Howsabout we get you to bed, Twili? I think we've both had way too much to drink."

I had to agree; I could really use the sleep right now.

I was way too drunk to contemplate the potential that lay before me.

TO BE CONTINUED...