• Published 14th Oct 2011
  • 4,031 Views, 48 Comments

My Little Pony: Genesis of the Forerunners - Bullet Soul



War is brought to Equestria in a fight for the most powerful weapon in the universe.

  • ...
0
 48
 4,031

Chapter 4: Origin of the Fruit

Madegalaxer Takes Forever Sorrow stepped onto the stage. He was surprised that so many Forerunners had no idea that he really was, but then again, if they knew the elaborate social structure of all the lifeforms in the universe would be broken, shattered by such a nightmare.

Forever Sorrow cleared his throat and looked out among the crowd. The time to present his glorious invention had come. After hundreds of years of tinkering with modified Forerunner technology he finally completed his grand design that no Forerunner could have achieved. Forerunners filled with those flaws they have that Sorrow's species didn't have and the Forerunners not being able to work on it due to conditions restricted to their species alone, and for the fact that Forever Sorrow is simply more of an intellectual being than most beings in the universe, was the reason he could achieve this greatness.

"I am sure you have all waited long for this moment. My fellow Forerunners the project you have heard so many rumors about is now complete. Possibly one of the greatest machines in the universe, including the invention of the ancilla, is now finished and I as its creator will gladly demonstrate its monstrous power to you."

Sorrow turned his head to two Forerunners at the end of the stage who started playing with a small holographic square that protruded from the front of their ancilla, as they were prepared to do at his command.

The large circular platform behind the stage lit up and rings of light floated from bottom to top of the building and something, a machine of sorts never been seen before, slowly began to materialize on the stage. Forever Sorrow turned around with a grin of satisfaction and gazed at his beautiful invention, butust as it became fully materialized it vanished and the humming of the transport system shut off and Sorrow stood there frustrated and a bit embarrassed.

Sorrow accessed his ancilla. "What happened?" He asked his personnel AI.

"It seems," the AI said, "that ADIM has stopped the transport."

Sorrow bit his lips in rage, but cooled his temper just long enough to tell the audience he'd be back.

"Ademordna, please transport me to the Garden." He told the AI in his ancilla.

"Will do, sir."

After a small ring drifted up and down Sorrow's body he stepped into the largest Forerunner laboratory in the universe: the Garden of Eden. Taking a step forward Sorrow looked at his invention, it was fine. He then looked at ADIM, a floating orb of metal and the spark of the installation, the very first spark to be made and every spark model followed ADIM's, which was created by Sorrow. A couple of Forerunners, who were all Inventors, stood by the machine, but several of the Inventors were missing.

"What happened ADIM?" Sorrow yelled angrily, clenching his fist.

The spark turned towards his creator and floated up to him, "It's the horned and winged Eques."

"What about it?" Sorrow inquired forecefully.

"The winged and horned one seems to be ill or something of the like. It's not preforming at a full productivity. Its aura doesn't have as much of a presence as it did before."

"Well," Sorrow looked down at his feet. "How is the other?"

"Oh, fine, sir. Just fine." The spark answered. "A few of the Inventors brought a Librarian to the Eques. Shall we follow them and check in on the animal?"

"We shall, but ADIM. We are NOT to speak of anything we speak of when it is just the two of us. For if you do and they find out then all hell shall break out."

ADIM seemed to nod. "Yes, sir. I understand."

The Forerunner and his machine walked past his invention and ventured into a back room, behind the Fruit. There, in a chamber, were two hooven animals, which Sorrow recognized as Ponies, or small horses, from his home planet, but these were different because they could talk and they both had horns, but one also had wings, like others from thier planet.

The planet in which these creatures came from was the planet below the moon this installation, Installation 1, rested on. The planet aforementioned is the home planet that these hooven creatures originated from. The only problem with that was that it was the same planet the Forerunners were from.

The horned and winged Eques laid on the floor, groaning and rolling.

Sorrow stood next to the Librarian, a risky move, but he felt like he was important enough to stand there even though he wasn't. "What's wrong with it?" he asked.

The Librarian stood there quietly as she shifted uncomfortably with Sorrow's direct defiance to the Code of Forerunners by standing so close to her without permission. She spoke up with a clever remark to make him back off. "Shouldn't you know? Your kind trained them."

Sorrow bit his lips and stepped back, afraid that someone in the room would figure out his secret, but no one heard what the Librarian had said.

"Please," the ill Eques spoke up. "Let me out. Let me return to my home. I have done nothing of malevolence towards you and your kind. Let me be."

All the Forerunners in the room looked at Sorrow. It was his call. He owned the hooven creatures. So he made the call of what to do with them.

He crossed his arms. "Why should I do that? You both power my machine. You give it life..."

"And we take life." The Eques stood up and moved closer to the edge of the chamber, letting the light bounce off of her white coat and flowing mane and tail of cyan, turquiose, purple, and azure. Your top five inventors have all fallen into a death Forerunners have never seen before, and all in this room. By a mere coincidence? I think not. You've learned by now that we feed off of the life force of the Forerunners."

The Librarian dropped her arms to her waste and shifted her weight from one foot to another. "Is that so? Is this true, Forever Sorrow?"

Sorrow gulped. "It is."

"And how many Forerunners know this?"

"Just I, Librarian."

"Hmm, I'll see you in a bit. Sorrow, don't go anywhere."

The Librarian left the room at those words and left him, ADIM, the two Eques creatures, and his Inventors alone in the room.

The white coated Eques spoke up again after giving out a few subtle coughs. "We have tried to take your life force, Sorrow, but we seem to have trouble. You are different than the other Forerunners. It almost seems as though you are not."

ADIM lit up remembering what Sorrow had told him before they had entered the room and began to protect his master. "And why is he different you hooven beast?"

"Because he doesn't have the life power of a Forerunner."

"I have a question." Sorrow said. The entire time he had been in the room he had mulled many thigs over in his head. "Why is the life force of us Forerunners so important?"

The horned Eques laughed. "Don't you see? We power the Fruit, we take the life force and use it as power. That's why the Fruit works. It contains more power than anything, enough power to detonate and destroy our world of Equestria. We use the life force of the Forerunners to power the Fruit. Direct the energy of one life into the machine and it's powered for an eternity."

ADIM's inquiring processor began to spin. "Then why place more than one's life force into it?"

The horned Eques laughed again. "To destroy your society from the inside out."

Sorrow filled with rage at these words and lashed out. "What? You plan on using my own machine to destroy the Forerunner society from the inside?" But he gained his composure when everbody in the room looked at him. "If you destroy this installation there will be plenty more. We aren't the only Forerunners in existence so this plan is futile."

"Oh no." The white Eques shook her head. "We won't detonate the Fruit. We will destroy you with the Forerunner's worst nightmare. A nightmare that has never existed, never even existed inside your, or any Forerunner's mind, before."

Sorrow leaned forward. "And how do you propose you do that?"

"Oh, do not worry. The Flood will come soon enough." And at that word both creatures grinned and the one healthy Eques lit his horn up and a bright light shone from where the Fruit rested, something that shouldn't be happening.

Sorrow, ADIM, and the Inventors all ran out to see why the Fruit had began to glow so brightly.

"What's happening? What did you do?" Sorrow ran back to where the hooven creatures were being contained.

"We have created something with the negative life force of the Forerunners. We have created the one true threat to the Forerunner race. And, ultimately, you created it Sorrow. Congratulations. You created the downfall of the Forerunners." The Eques smiled and one of the Inventors near the Fruit began to scream. Sorrow ran out to the origin of the scream and an Inventor was throwing his arms around like he was having spasms. He tossed his body around in convulsions and when he turned to face Sorrow, Sorrow noticed a small white bulge with many tentacles piercing a rod of bone through the Inventor's torso and into his spine.

Several more of the small white bulges came out of the Fruit and leaped at the other Inventors and one of them came towards Sorrow. Sorrow began to back up as the thing crawled towards him in a serpentine pattern. He covered his head with his arms and closed his eyes. Just as it jumped at Sorrow, Sorrow disappeared as a ring came up around him.

Cowering, Sorrow materialized on the stage where he began his speech. He opened his eyes and saw the Librarian standing in front of him. He looked out towards the crowd and the crowd looked at him with disgust and wonder.

What had the Librarian told them?

"This," the Librarian yelled, her voice echoing throughout the floating stage and audience. "Is the heathen I spoke of. Forever Sorrow, is not one of us! I told you all this already, but I said that it would be better to see for yourself before I continued."

The Librarian stared deeply into Sorrow's eyes through both his and her ancilla.

"Oh no," Ademordna said.

The Librarian reached up towards Sorrow's head, but he swatted her hand away.

The crowd stood up in an outrage and screamed at Sorrow for breaking the Code. Guardians ran to his side and grasped his arms and brought them down to his side.

The Librarian reached towards Sorrow's head again to pull off the mask of his ancilla.

"Ademordna, get us out of here, now!" Sorrow said in a shaky voice.

"I cannot! They have disabled our transport system!"

"Keep trying!" Sorrow yelled.

"I am sorry, Sorrow, but this is what you get for placing other Forerunners at a risk of death and holding such secrets you have. It's time everyone knew who you are, Sorrow!" The Librarian's hand grasped his mask and an override took control of his ancilla.

The Librarian removed his mask and the crowd roared even louder, and then paused, bewildered by what they saw. Even the Guardians released their grasp and backed away.

Sorrow fell to his knees in tears, and suddenly everything became clear to all the Forerunners. It became clear as to why Forever Sorrow acted so... acted so Human.